Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOD/SOW: Bryan Dattilo "briefly off the canvas".; 9/29 issues
Topic Started: Sep 16 2009, 01:33 PM (5,237 Views)
aimees76
Member Avatar

I don't like that Lucas is getting a backburner story, but honestly, with so many other stories coming to a conclusion or a climax, as well as the returns coming up, I am not really surprised. I would prefer to see more of the story on screen, but nothing is really presented in-depth on this show anymore. Look at Kate's cancer, Theo's autism, even Ciara's kidnapping. Every major happening could lead to an in-depth story about the repercussions, but they never go there because they are too lazy. I don't really think it has as much to do with BD as with writer's having particular favorites that they want to write for more. BD is a fan-favorite, I don't know why people are so convinced that AS saved BD last time ... maybe she spoke up about him, I don't know, she doesn't seem like she really bothers with sticking her neck out about things she doesn't care for on-set since she has just gone with the flow about so many things that she has stated she didn't like, but it is her job to do. I think the fan out-cry may have saved Bry last time, but I am not really convinced that he was going to be out permenantly anyway. They just needed him off-screen for awhile to make EJ and Sami bonding even feesible. This time, I think they need him out of the way so that Chloe and Daniel can have their happy ending, and Sami can be busy running around looking for Rafe while all the other returns start getting their build up. From what I have read, Lucas will be shown in rehab, when Chloe comes to visit him, and Phillip, too, at the very least. Then comes the Stefano/Kate marriage to focus on ...
A fan I know just met BD in Hartford this past weekend and she asked him about his time away and he explained that he would just be on here and there for awhile, and she asked, "like Chloe in her coma?" and he joked, "yeah, but I won't have my eyes closed the whole time". So there you go ... who knows what is to become of ANY of the actors on DAYS, or of DAYS for that matter?!!? I think everyone is in danger, since the show is not really making the recovery it needs to. I do believe that Bry will be back, though, and will get another story when he returns. There are waves in soaps, everyone knows that. Even almighty-EJ has barely been present in HIS own s/l ever since he found out about Grace, and for awhile before that, actually. Sure, he will have some big stuff coming with the reveal, but after that? Who knows? Maybe the whole focus of the show will shift to OTHER characters who HAVEN'T been featured much for the last 3 years. I just think all this doom and gloom, and I-told-you-so's about BD being a goner is lame because it has all been said before and he is still there. According to his manager, his option was just picked up for 26 weeks, not the 13 that most actors get, but 26 because he is a vet. Not to say that they can't still let him go during that time, but why bother picking up his option if they were going to do that? They could have easily written him off in the last few weeks, had him leave town after the Chloe/Daniel discovery. So I feel pretty good that Lucas will be back from rehab with a story ... and there are still many of us who would LOVE to see him reunite with Sami. :D eventually.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

magicsteacher
Member Avatar

Tori
Sep 16 2009, 02:32 PM
The writers don't care about the character of Lucas or Bryan and now we have proof - they are what giving him a week to have this falling off the wagon stint and they are sending him to rehab off screen. His contract is up in February - that does not bode well at all.
I read on another site that Bryan's contract is not being renewed when it is up in February. Now,whether or not it is true, I am not sure. But the fact that they are giving him less and less of a part, I agree, does not make it look good for him. I have also heard that Kate may be leaving when her contract is up.

Tori

magicsteacher
Sep 17 2009, 11:32 AM
Tori
Sep 16 2009, 02:32 PM
The writers don't care about the character of Lucas or Bryan and now we have proof - they are what giving him a week to have this falling off the wagon stint and they are sending him to rehab off screen. His contract is up in February - that does not bode well at all.
I read on another site that Bryan's contract is not being renewed when it is up in February. Now,whether or not it is true, I am not sure. But the fact that they are giving him less and less of a part, I agree, does not make it look good for him. I have also heard that Kate may be leaving when her contract is up.
I used to think TPTB would back burn a character leading up to new contract negotiations to play hardball but with the state of things I don't think they have to, I think actors aren't expecting much and not asking for much so that wouldn't be the reason. Bryan has been on the bubble so many times and he somehow survives. I think the worse thing he's got going for him is that he probably makes more than most of the cast and if they are looking for Salary Savings well he would be one to let go.

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

His contract's up in February?

I wouldn't be surprised if he's barely around until then. Lately it seems to me like they isolate characters and keep them isolated until the actors' contracts are set, one way or another, so it's easier to write people out. Like Max/Chelsea. Patch/Kayla (did they really interact with anyone in a major way?). Chloe/Daniel and Lucas feel the same. There won't really be any impact when they leave.

Tori

px780
Sep 17 2009, 12:12 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if he's barely around until then. Lately it seems to me like they isolate characters and keep them isolated until the actors' contracts are set, one way or another, so it's easier to write people out. Like Max/Chelsea. Patch/Kayla (did they really interact with anyone in a major way?). Chloe/Daniel and Lucas feel the same. There won't really be any impact when they leave.
Yeah I have seen them do that to. They backburn them for months before they let them go and I guess it gets the viewers used to not seeing them and when they are let go it doesn't seem like such a big deal. They did that with Thaao - he basically showed up so they could kill him off and they didn't even give LeAnne any scenes with him at the end!

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

px780
Sep 17 2009, 12:12 PM

Yep. I actually like that they do that. I've seen some primetime soaps do that too. It especially helps if the person leaving is immensely popular and was a big part of the show for a long time. It makes it easier on the audience if you slowly weed them off the character or characters. Of course, if you only watch for the character or characters leaving, this won't help much. However, fans of the whole show will find the adjustment to the show going on without the character a bit easier. By the time Chelsea and Max left Days, I felt like they were already gone. Same goes for Steve and Kayla.

I've felt all along that at least two characters in the Kate/Daniel/Chloe/Lucas story would be gone at the conclusion of it. I think Kate is safe as they are involving her with Stefano and Vivian is coming back to the canvas. They had the perfect chance to write Kate out now and they didn't so that tells me they have plans for her. As for the others, the writing is on the wall. I've always felt Nadia would quit when her contract was up, unless the show axed her first. I felt SC would stay around the time Corday hinted at Daniel being involved in the Carly/Bo/Hope stuff but since Justin seems to have replaced Daniel in that, I think they will send him off with Chloe. I have no idea about Dattilo. The writing is on the wall but it's been for some time now and I still think he has hope of staying on as long as AS is on the show. I also think it would make little sense for them to put him through this rehab thing and have him barely appear for awhile only to bring him back and have him leave permanently. They could just write him off now and have him go away to rehab and to move on with his life. The fact that they are implying he will barely be featured only for awhile seems to suggest they plan on keeping him around but who knows.
Edited by PhoenixRising05, Sep 17 2009, 01:41 PM.

ilovemydays

I've loved a lot of very talented actors that for whatever reason, have only been teased with "A" storylines.
They spent most of their time playing "B" players in an "A" storyline. And IMO, it had nothing to do with their talent or their appeal. For the most part it had to do with TPTB's vision (or lack there of) for that character.
Off the top of my head:

Rick Hearst on GH
Billy Warlock on GH
Ted King on GH
Timothy D. Stickney on OLTL
Jeff Branson on AMC
James Scott on AMC

I know that a lot of people probably don't consider BD to be in the same league as some of the actors listed above but sometimes, like in the case of JS, you can't tell an actors range until the actor has been given a fair shot. Its just too bad that that fair shot might never happen on the show the actor is currently on.

sungrey

OK, my two cents.

This song-and-dance movement with Bryan's been going on and off for years. It's obvious we won't ever get Lumi again because the network/TPTB aren't interested in telling the story. I'm all right with that, but I think it stinks. Still, the best reason to keep Bryan around is his long history with Ali on camera, the fact he is a HORTON (Yes, Days, the show should be about the Hortons, not ex-Harmony residents with varying acting ability) and the fact he is a vet presence that's sorely needed on a show full of newbies.

I'm slowly not liking the direction Days is going. Blame it on Tomlin, blame it on Higley and Whitesell, blame it on Corday, whatever. The fake-outs and the gotcha moments don't remind me of Passions, they remind me of James Reilly in general. God rest his soul, but I didn't care for the JER-style of writing the second time around and I don't think it's working this time.

Some sort of change is needed. Far too many people are picking up on things that are wrong with the show rather than what's right.

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

PhoenixRising05
Sep 17 2009, 01:36 PM
Yep. I actually like that they do that. I've seen some primetime soaps do that too. It especially helps if the person leaving is immensely popular and was a big part of the show for a long time. It makes it easier on the audience if you slowly weed them off the character or characters.
That's an excellent point. It feels like they do it for a long time on this show, and maybe they overdo it a bit with the replacement characters (too much airtime too quickly) but that's probably just my perception. It is a solid way to ease people out, like you said.

Tori

ilovemydays
Sep 17 2009, 01:55 PM
I've loved a lot of very talented actors that for whatever reason, have only been teased with "A" storylines.
They spent most of their time playing "B" players in an "A" storyline. And IMO, it had nothing to do with their talent or their appeal. For the most part it had to do with TPTB's vision (or lack there of) for that character.
Off the top of my head:

Rick Hearst on GH
Billy Warlock on GH
Ted King on GH
Timothy D. Stickney on OLTL
Jeff Branson on AMC
James Scott on AMC

I know that a lot of people probably don't consider BD to be in the same league as some of the actors listed above but sometimes, like in the case of JS, you can't tell an actors range until the actor has been given a fair shot. Its just too bad that that fair shot might never happen on the show the actor is currently on.

I don't think that range argument works with BD because he has had 15 years and many many storylines to show range. BD's problem is the character of Lucas has been a weak character tied to stronger women who have controlled him. His mom primarily and Sami to a lesser extent. Nicole contolled him too. Carrie and now Chloe weren't controlling women but they both cheated on him which weakened him too.
Edited by Tori, Sep 17 2009, 05:39 PM.

dylan76
Member Avatar

I, for one, am elated that Lucas AND Bryan Datillo are leaving. Lucas is nothing more than a loudmouthed, angry little midget. He sucks. Datillo has never offered much in the acting department so I say good riddance. And while they're at it, give Josh Taylor the axe too. I want more lots of screen time for Crystal Chappell and more for Eric Martsolf. I can't get enough of that dude. I hope that Shawn Christian isn't leaving either. I actually think he is pretty interesting.

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

I cannot say that I will really miss him (Lucas), not Bryan. I used to love Lucas, but now he is just a whiner and Bryan needs to brush up on his acting.

The writing for Lucas is crap though. I am really enjoying the show, but this is a character they have all wrong.

And Bryan PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE cut your hair short again!
Edited by Mitchapalooza, Sep 22 2009, 01:38 AM.

lastDays
Member Avatar

As much as i don't like Lucas,I feel bad for BD.Its been clear for awhile now that the writers don't have nterest in the character.Removing him from the canvas instead of having his relapse play out on camera is a sign they are going to fire him soon

EjsGaGirl
Member Avatar

lastDays
Sep 22 2009, 06:58 AM
As much as i don't like Lucas,I feel bad for BD.Its been clear for awhile now that the writers don't have nterest in the character.Removing him from the canvas instead of having his relapse play out on camera is a sign they are going to fire him soon
I agree.If he comes back,I will be shocked.And even then.,I am betting its recurring,like Roman

BillieD
Member Avatar

Let's be honest, BD has been "off canvas" for the better part of a year.
I'm just glad this LuNoClue relationship is finished. I have never seen 2 people with less chemistry on a soap.

Tori

I was posting with a Lumi friend of mine and she said that she read that Bryan's manager said that he was only going to be off screen for about three weeks. So Bryan should be starting to shoot scenes soon any Lumi fans out there know if Bryan is shooting scenes yet?

aimees76
Member Avatar

Judie ( producer lady that tweets) said he was there filming last week. Ali said they are currently filming for mid-November ... so if Lucas leaves for rehab in the last week of Sept./1st week of Oct. then he should be back mid-to-early Nov. so he will be off for 3-4 weeks approx. give or take ..

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

BillieD
Sep 22 2009, 11:13 AM
I'm just glad this LuNoClue relationship is finished. I have never seen 2 people with less chemistry on a soap.
Me either, unless it was Lucas and Carrie or possibly Mike and Carrie.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply