Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS: Weekly Discussion; 9/21 - 9/25
Topic Started: Sep 21 2009, 01:48 AM (6,342 Views)
Ellie

DAYS OF OUR LIVES
9/21 - 9/25

Discuss. :smile:

Classic Clip: Bryan Dattilo's first scene, 1993.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

darraholic
Member Avatar
Pennsatucky

I wish it was next week. I want some Carly Manning.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

Thanks for that clip, I've always wanted to see Lucas' first appearance.
Quote Post Goto Top

Ellie

Amello
Sep 21 2009, 10:25 AM
Yw! I like Lucas's initial storyline. I thought he was a very complex character. It's so sad that the current writers just dump any 30-ish man into the same category.

Alligato
Member Avatar

Seeing that clip reminds me of why I just am so sad that Lucas has been reduced to what he currently is. He came in as this hot shot, good looking playboy type...now he is an clueless idiot! What a way to totally waste a good character. Was that Kate the current Kate? She looked similar, but I remember Kate might have been Deborah Adair?
Patrick Muldoon is :wub:

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

Alligato
Sep 21 2009, 12:32 PM
Was that Kate the current Kate? She looked similar, but I remember Kate might have been Deborah Adair?
That was Deborah Adair. I never did get over them recasting Austin with Austin Peck; to the end of his terrible stint on Days I thought of him as fake Austin, just like Roark Critchlow was fake Mike.

I've never been a Lucas fan, but you're right, he has been done no favors over the years. The thing is, they can't even write him as cocky anymore, or they shouldn't, because what reason does he have to be cocky? In recent years he's been little more than a cuckolded mama's boy. If they're going to keep him around then they need to reshape his character to reflect at least some of the disappointments and pain he's gone through at the hands of Sami, Chloe and Kate, not to mention Nicole and Carrie (well, let's not mention Carrie).

SoapGal1
Member Avatar

Paxton
Sep 21 2009, 01:25 PM
Alligato
Sep 21 2009, 12:32 PM
Was that Kate the current Kate? She looked similar, but I remember Kate might have been Deborah Adair?
That was Deborah Adair. I never did get over them recasting Austin with Austin Peck; to the end of his terrible stint on Days I thought of him as fake Austin, just like Roark Critchlow was fake Mike.

I've never been a Lucas fan, but you're right, he has been done no favors over the years. The thing is, they can't even write him as cocky anymore, or they shouldn't, because what reason does he have to be cocky? In recent years he's been little more than a cuckolded mama's boy. If they're going to keep him around then they need to reshape his character to reflect at least some of the disappointments and pain he's gone through at the hands of Sami, Chloe and Kate, not to mention Nicole and Carrie (well, let's not mention Carrie).
It seems to me now would have been the perfect time to do that with the Lucas character. Have him slowly fall back into drinking, by that I mean he could get away with drinking just a little here and there for a little bit, until he finally gave into a binge. They could've even incorporated Nicole into the storyline since she's about to be exposed as well. (I know that might not work now, given she's about to go on maternity leave) I've always thought the two of them falling off the wagon could be a good story......some could be funny.......but most of it the two of them dealing with the failures in their life. Not sure if I'd want them together romantically, but whose to say? It might've been really good.

I've never really been a Lucas fan either, but I can tell you in my opinion he's a better actor than some of the newer actors we've been subjected to. And he does have history to play off of and to build stories from.

jane1978

Ellie
Sep 21 2009, 11:45 AM
Amello
Yw! I like Lucas's initial storyline. I thought he was a very complex character. It's so sad that the current writers just dump any 30-ish man into the same category.

Iīm not sure about current writers. Dena is the only one who atleast attempted to give him something. The Lucloe start was rushed and forced, but you can tell the same about Danloe, yet the latter still managed to create a good healthy fan following. Even later in the game, after the Danloe affair started, Dena still tried to involve Lucas somewhat and write it as triangle where Chloe is actually torn but the total lack of chemistry between them outed him so much they eventually turned it into Danloe lovestory with Kate as obstacle.

The problem with Lucas started with JER, when he brought back Austin and Carrie and decided to recreate his qudrangle from 90īs. He completely cheapened any bond Sami and Lucas had. And Hogan made it worse when he decided/was ordered to turn Sami into a new show heroine. Sami, the schemer, could have Lucas as partner/soulmate, but Sami, the heroine, needed her hero. The dynamic completely changed.

I know Lumi fans will not like me for this, but I think the decision to write Lucas from that orbit completely was a right one. The triangle with EJ was beyond tired and his constant yelling made him a very unsympathetic character. Unfortunatelly, there was no one except Chloe to pair him with at the time and there is still no one now, so he is slowly turning into another Roman, just another supporting character who is on just because Sami is the leading character of the show and he happens to have two children with her.

Iīm not sure what they will do with him. I donīt think Brian is demanding in any way and he is popular on the set, so itīs really hard for them to fire him, but Iīm not sure the show believes he is able to lead a storyline on his own, especially after the fiasco with Chloe. Even if they found someone new for him, how many people are really interested in Lucas lovelife? And would be the chemistry strong enough?

Paxton
Member Avatar

jane1978
Sep 21 2009, 02:00 PM
The problem with Lucas started with JER, when he brought back Austin and Carrie and decided to recreate his qudrangle from 90īs. He completely cheapened any bond Sami and Lucas had. And Hogan made it worse when he decided/was ordered to turn Sami into a new show heroine. Sami, the schemer, could have Lucas as partner/soulmate, but Sami, the heroine, needed her hero. The dynamic completely changed.
jane, I know we almost never agree on anything but in this case our opinions track. It certainly seems to me as though the decision to rewrite Sami as a heroine has "taken" (unlike Dr. Rolf's death), and Rafe was created to be her hero that had no pre-existing baggage. It certainly seems to me as if Sami and Rafe are getting all the rooting-couple writing. I also agree that Lucas has essentially become Roman.

I'm not sure who's left on the canvas for him who would be a viable romantic pairing, and since Days is the Noah's Ark of soaps that's a requirement. Maybe Arianna could work, depending on what they do with her and Brady. I wouldn't wish him on Stephanie or Melanie on him, but I do have to admit both are unrelated females and that's often all the show needs to at least chem test. I suppose a Rafe/Sami/Lucas triangle is possible, and in fact I thought there was a good chance of one as recently as a couple of months ago; maybe there still will be.

Alligato
Member Avatar

I don't know, Pax.
What about Lucas and Melanie. They both do the comedy very well, she is short enough for him...
Maybe Phillip and Lucas could be arguing over Kate's decisions going against each other and Phillip could get Melanie to spy on him, and Lucas having dealt with oldSami knows all of the connivving bitch secrets so Melanie wouldn't get very far, yet they have a good time together and laugh with each other (BD and MB adlibbing most of their lines) and provide some much needed light comedy.
I'd buy it!

Ellie

jane1978
Sep 21 2009, 02:00 PM
Ellie
Sep 21 2009, 11:45 AM
Amello

Iīm not sure about current writers. Dena is the only one who atleast attempted to give him something. The Lucloe start was rushed and forced, but you can tell the same about Danloe, yet the latter still managed to create a good healthy fan following. Even later in the game, after the Danloe affair started, Dena still tried to involve Lucas somewhat and write it as triangle where Chloe is actually torn but the total lack of chemistry between them outed him so much they eventually turned it into Danloe lovestory with Kate as obstacle.

I know Lumi fans will not like me for this, but I think the decision to write Lucas from that orbit completely was a right one. The triangle with EJ was beyond tired and his constant yelling made him a very unsympathetic character. Unfortunatelly, there was no one except Chloe to pair him with at the time and there is still no one now, so he is slowly turning into another Roman, just another supporting character who is on just because Sami is the leading character of the show and he happens to have two children with her.
But with Lucas/Chloe, is Lucas in character, or is he being used as, "Here's a thirty-something man, and Chloe is a thirty-something woman"? My point is that I think Lucas as a distinct character disappeared in about 2004. It sounds like we agree in general about that timing, though we disagree about the current writing.

Quote:

Iīm not sure what they will do with him. I donīt think Brian is demanding in any way and he is popular on the set, so itīs really hard for them to fire him, but Iīm not sure the show believes he is able to lead a storyline on his own, especially after the fiasco with Chloe. Even if they found someone new for him, how many people are really interested in Lucas lovelife? And would be the chemistry strong enough?
That's pretty much illustrating what I'm saying. If the writers considered who Lucas is as a character, I think they'd be able to come up with something for him. However, if they just consider him to be another 'hunk' on the show whom they need to pair with someone, then I agree with you, the viewers will be bored. (This holds true for everyone, not just Lucas.) I think of Chloe in the same way. She's pretty much a non-character at this point, though it's clear TPTB like her sex appeal, and they (though not all the viewers) seem to see chemistry between Nadia and Shawn C.

I think what would help Bryan the most is if the writers wrote a story specifically for Lucas. I personally think he could carry a storyline. It wouldn't even have to be a romantic story - who says he can't be a bachelor for a while? Unfortunately, though, I don't see this happening.

Carly
Member Avatar

When Lucas changed his last name to Horton, I hoped that we'd see Lucas become a more prominent character who carried on the Horton legacy. However, that never happened. Heck, Melanie spends more time with the Horton family than Lucas does!

And since Rafe has pretty much taken on the paternal role with Sami and Lucas's children, this gives Lucas even less of a purpose. It also doesn't help that Chloe has turned Lucas into a cuckold for the umpteenth time, and Lucas is being portrayed as an idiot who thinks that Mommy Dearest wouldn't even hurt a fly. Also, Philip is the younger brother, yet Philip is always portrayed as smarter and more mature (and more desirable) than Lucas. Sadly, if Lucas disappeared off canvas, it really wouldn't make an impact on the DAYS characters, since Lucas has been extremely marginalized.

I think BD is still on DAYS because the producers and Ali Sweeney like BD and not because DAYS actually sees Lucas as an important, valuable character.

Sidenote: I wonder if BD has ever considered leaving DAYS for another show? During the time that Lucas was in prison, I recall reading that BD had auditioned for a role on OLTL.

Paxton
Member Avatar

Ellie
Sep 21 2009, 02:47 PM
But with Lucas/Chloe, is Lucas in character, or is he being used as, "Here's a thirty-something man, and Chloe is a thirty-something woman"? My point is that I think Lucas as a distinct character disappeared in about 2004. It sounds like we agree in general about that timing, though we disagree about the current writing.

If the writers considered who Lucas is as a character, I think they'd be able to come up with something for him. However, if they just consider him to be another 'hunk' on the show whom they need to pair with someone, then I agree with you, the viewers will be bored. (This holds true for everyone, not just Lucas.) I think of Chloe in the same way. She's pretty much a non-character at this point, though it's clear TPTB like her sex appeal, and they (though not all the viewers) seem to see chemistry between Nadia and Shawn C.

I think what would help Bryan the most is if the writers wrote a story specifically for Lucas. I personally think he could carry a storyline. It wouldn't even have to be a romantic story - who says he can't be a bachelor for a while? Unfortunately, though, I don't see this happening.

Right. That's what I was trying to say, in that Lucas really can't be written in the same way he was even five years ago. I always thought Hogan Sheffer's handling of Lucas and Lumi was terrible and Dena's is bad in a different way. At this point Lucas exists pretty much as a mid-thirties man from a core family and that's it. I have no idea why a new viewer (if any of those exist) tuning in for the first time over the last year or so would like him; frankly, I can't imagine that they could even say much about him. His ties with his children have been marginalized to where Will is confiding in EJ of all people--for plot purposes, of course, regardless of whether it makes sense. Lucas didn't even go to Grace's funeral and it just absolutely blows my mind that the writers didn't think he was necessary (not that his was the only notable absence . . . .). But I mean, come on: Arianna, whose only connection was through her brother, could go, whereas Lucas, whose ex-wife and the mother of two of his children was the grieving mother (not to mention Grace would have been Allie's and Will's half-sister), could not?

I agree with you that Lucas should at least be given the opportunity to be the focus of a story--preferably a B story, since I'm not a fan of his, lol. Let him get back involved with Victor again somehow, for example--let him be involved in the Arianna/Roman/Victor stuff. Just let him do something besides be the perennial cuckold.

RachelMFan
Member Avatar

Hey guys! Don't forget to watch Emmy nominee&DAYS alum RACHEL MELVIN tonight on the season premiere of Heroes! 9/8 central <3

Halloween Family
Member Avatar

Today's show was fairly good. Lots of hereos and testosterone, makes me wonder who wrote today, it doesnt seem like a man wrote it.

BD sounds like he caught the cold too but instead of getting a sexy voice he just sounded more nasally congested. However, that was some punch Lucas gave Dr. Dan, BRAVO! I like Lucas but I am not worried when characters/vets leave the canvas for a while. They always come back and it's a chance to cycle in some of the other vets. i would love it if Patrick Muldoon would come back for a while as Austin or even another character. I didnt care for Austin Pecks'. Plus, this break might be good for Bryan so he can work on some other projects, hone his craft. A part of me wished Alison Sweeney took a real maternity leave, people need to recharge.

While I enjoyed bitchy Hope, she's just being ridiculous about it now. She's so determined to make Bo pay that she's coming up with these lame reasons of why they need to be on a break. I dont see how it would be healthy for Ciara to be away from her father, I can see the house part but why cant Bo go with them? Cuz Hope's a vindicative bitch is why. She did make me laugh when she made that crack about Bo not being able to be a father to a dead daughter, it was so out of left field but it was good. PR's performed well! The way he grabbed Hope, opened the door to greet justin with "WHAT!!!" and then kicked-slammed it shut, and the LOOK of 'you fucking bitch' he gave Hope when he hugged Ciarra was some great acting, awesome!! KA looked so beautiful in that green dress, too.

I understand some dont like the idea of Nathan and Phillip competing for Melanie but when you cut her out of the equation and just look at the scene between Nillip at the station was darn good.

I wasnt looking forward to stefano and Kate, not so much because the D's tried to kill Phillip, Lucas tried killing EJ so now they are even steven, the turn off for me was Kate's history of sleeping with EJ, but so far it's really working. Stefano was looking like the night in shining armour and then he slaps her with some legally looking papers. Who would have thought a debilitated, elderly man could shake Kate like that but he let her know who's boss.

Nadia gave some good performances today, such an improvement. The scene where she finds Daniel was touching even for me.

jane1978

Quote:

I understand some dont like the idea of Nathan and Phillip competing for Melanie but when you cut her out of the equation and just look at the scene between Nillip at the station was darn good.

Iīm one of the few who donīt mind Phillip/Melanie, but Iīm not sure in this last change in Philip. Itīs like he is a pod Phillip. He was completely and absolutely in love with Steph till last week and I think the only reason why there even is some Phillip/Nathan competition is Shelley Hennig and her extended August vacation. Itīs all very abrupt and doesnīt make much sense. I would also like to see atleast someone to adress Stephīs absence.

Good thing for all the Phelanie haters, itīs very obvious Nathan and Mel are the rooting couple now. Phillip is more like the bad habit Melanie has to put behind, itīs not healthy at all and itīs written that way.

Quote:

I wasnt looking forward to stefano and Kate, not so much because the D's tried to kill Phillip, Lucas tried killing EJ so now they are even steven, the turn off for me was Kate's history of sleeping with EJ, but so far it's really working. Stefano was looking like the night in shining armour and then he slaps her with some legally looking papers. Who would have thought a debilitated, elderly man could shake Kate like that but he let her know who's boss.

I love to watch Kate and Stephano together. And Joe looks like he is enjoying it very much. This was a great idea, great out for Kate to get her character from the corner, and itīs fair to admit it was Higleyīs idea because she is the one who wrote the marriage proposal almost a year ago and she is the one who promissed the triangle with Kate, Stephano and Victor back in January preview. Looks like with Vivianīs return the story has been finally greenlighted

Edited by jane1978, Sep 21 2009, 06:34 PM.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

I'm loving Stefano and Kate so far. I like how Stefano threw in that dig about Victor could've helped, but chose not to. It lets Kate know that Victor is not as reliable as she once thought and she chose the wrong decision when she sided with the Kiriakis family during the feud earlier in the year. That's all changed now. The look on Lucas' face when Kate told him she was marrying Stefano was priceless. I liked Stefano's coy grin at the end too.

I was cheering Lucas on when he punched Daniel today. Go Lucas! :cheer: It's kind of bad when the "hero" we're supposed to be rooting for to come in and be reuinted with his "lady love" is the guy that we all hate and cheer on when he's beaten down. For once Lucas came off stronger than the male he's going up against. It only took the other guy to be full of drugs and incoherent. :lol:

Who the hell was that nurse, and what happened to Nurse Maxine? We got some cheap knock off instead.

Bo and Hope's scenes were the best part of today's episode. Peter Reckell brought it today. The scenes got so intense there for a moment when Bo demanded Hope look at him, and when she refused, he grabbed her and began shaking her. Whoa! That was powerful. I felt like I was watching some marital dispute and I should look away, but it was so damn interesting that I couldn't. Reckell and Kristian Alfonso sold those scenes. I loved when Bo answered the door to find Justin and yelled, "What?!" I know Bo and Hope will always be end game, but I can't help but want Justin and Hope together. Did you see Alfonso and Wally Kurth side by side in the trivia segment today? They look so good together!

Good for the writers to remember Melanie's past crimes in France, which resulted in her not being cleared of her crimes like Nathan. I was surprised they actually took the time to remember, even if they were the very same writers that wrote that story. Very surprised, but happy as well. Molly Burnett continues to impress me with her charismatic personality.

Days4Life

I was also cheering Lucas on when he decked Daniel. Great move; I just wish Daniel had stood up so Lucas could knock him down again. I don't think Dr. Dan will ever be a hero in my eyes, I don't care how many lives he's saved.

Hope looked gorgeous today, but I wanted to reach through the TV screen and smack her. When will she ever learn that running away doesn't solve any problems? If Ciara can't be in the house right now, maybe a short vacation would be helpful, but I think she needs both parents with her in order for her to feel the most safe and secure. Hope's in full icy bitch mode, and I hate her when she acts like this. However, KA and PR did a fantastic job in those scenes.

Kate and Stefano's marriage should be very interesting. Loved Stefano's self-satisfied smile at the end when Kate broke the happy news to Lucas. Hey, now BD will get his wish to be a Dimera--or at least a step-Dimera!

I see Philip is undergoing another personality change. Is he just interested in Melanie all of a sudden because someone else is? Because Stephanie isn't around? Because he's bored and needs a new game to play? What happened to "good" Philip? Because screwing around (both literally and figuratively) with a much younger girl who he doesn't love--especially when he's in love with someone else--but knows has a big crush on him isn't something a good guy would do. Nathan is definitely the rootable love interest here, and he and Melanie are very cute together. I agreed with Maggie today--I like Melanie more every day, too. There's just something so charming and refreshing and fun about her!

Halloween Family
Member Avatar

jane1978
Sep 21 2009, 06:33 PM
Quote:

Iīm one of the few who donīt mind Phillip/Melanie, but Iīm not sure in this last change in Philip. Itīs like he is a pod Phillip. He was completely and absolutely in love with Steph till last week and I think the only reason why there even is some Phillip/Nathan competition is Shelley Hennig and her extended August vacation. Itīs all very abrupt and doesnīt make much sense. I would also like to see atleast someone to adress Stephīs absence.

Good thing for all the Phelanie haters, itīs very obvious Nathan and Mel are the rooting couple now. Phillip is more like the bad habit Melanie has to put behind, itīs not healthy at all and itīs written that way.

Thanks for the background info.

I did/do like Millip but Melanie does tend to bring out the worst in Phillip and not in a good way. I saw some more of that demeanor today and looks like it'll be showcased some more tomorrow. It does seem like Phillip and Melanie are each other's bad habit. I dont think they were ever intended to be the rooting couple in either triangle.

I can see how it can be viewed as abrupt but there was always something simmering in the background between Millip. I dont think he's forgotten about Stephanie, it's just now he can indulge himself in this little side interest. Phillip is painfully aware that he has no chance with Stephanie right now, he feels bad and he's looking for ways to make that feeling go away.. If Stephanie came around again, then he'd drop Melanie in a hot second.

Kailyn

Hope running away is ridiculous because shes going to come back and realize how wrong she is. so why not stay and fight it out get the thing out on the carpet once and for all. but to tuck tail and run why?. what is that going to solve? as usual nothing. I for one would like to see the one vet couple learn to work things out and have the talk about Zacks death that they have danced around all this time. because obviously they still have issues. I agree PR and KA are amazing at this stuff.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply