Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOD/SOW: EJ learns the truth!; Oct 6th issues; Article Summaries
Topic Started: Sep 23 2009, 12:56 PM (5,180 Views)
lagirl

Rafe loves Sami but not enough to tell her the truth about himself.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

lysie
Member Avatar

Daysfanatic79
Sep 24 2009, 09:54 AM
The beauty of this storyline is the slow pacing, the fakeouts, and the constant evolution that envelops the characters and overlaps sub-groupings on this show. It blurs the lines and sucks more and more characters into this mess, so when it does blow, the effects will be felt by every facet of the show.

It's a mixture of Reilly style storytelling, and more tradional heartfelt tales (ala Bill Bell...). Some may not like it, but remember it took years for Bill to find out Mike was his son. It also took years for John to see that Kristen was an evil, vindictive monster; and years more for him to be united with Marlena. Still, we look back on those storylines as the best this show had to offer.

The other part that makes this good is the question of "Who is the end game?" "Who is the hero?" Is the best man for Sami Rafe, EJ, or neither one? Is Nicole really evil, or has she evolved since taking on motherhood, and should we feel sympathy? This storyline presents more questions that answers, and THATS a good, soapy tale that we will remember.
It didn't take years for John and Marlena to reunite. It took years for them to get married. John went home with her after the confrontation with Kristen.

I don't have a problem with the story dragging out. It's a soap. That's what they do. I have a problem with it sucking, and there being no rootable characters.

EjsGaGirl
Member Avatar

SocRMum1
Sep 24 2009, 10:39 AM
I don't believe the story will be written that Sami 'will run to EJ' once she finds out that Sydney is their daughter. In fact, I think that's the reason things are unfolding as they are - Sami and EJ will likely have already rekindled their love for one another BEFORE they find out that their daughter is alive and well. These next weeks EJ is going to be facing some hard truths - he allowed himself to be completely fooled by Nicole and manipulated by his father, all due to his desperation to finally get over Sami. In his attempts to doing that - he basically allowed himself to become steeped in all the things she feared. I suspect these next several weeks will show that EJ finally realizes what Sami told him a few weeks ago in the park - he's become the man he never wanted to be.
I believe they have written Rafe out of the picture coinciding with EJ's realization in order to allow Sami and EJ to grow closer - Sami seeing that EJ finally understands what she warned him about all along. It wasn't that Sami never wanted EJ to be a part of their daughter's life - she didn't want Stefano to have any influence. She was completely conflicted on telling EJ just before she went to WP - both due to her distrust of Stefano and her jealously of his relationship with Nicole. The two of them both made huge miscalculations about how the other felt - classic, soapy angst. It seems to me we're finally heading in to the stage of the story that allows them to both realize how wrong they've been all along and have the opportunity to make things right with one another. Finally.

And then...they'll find out that their daughter is still very much alive. :wub:
I have watched this show,more years than I care to say..and I have to say,,I think this is EXACTLY how it will happen.. :biggrin:

lysie
Member Avatar

SocRMum1
I don't believe the story will be written that Sami 'will run to EJ' once she finds out that Sydney is their daughter. In fact, I think that's the reason things are unfolding as they are - Sami and EJ will likely have already rekindled their love for one another BEFORE they find out that their daughter is alive and well. These next weeks EJ is going to be facing some hard truths - he allowed himself to be completely fooled by Nicole and manipulated by his father, all due to his desperation to finally get over Sami. In his attempts to doing that - he basically allowed himself to become steeped in all the things she feared. I suspect these next several weeks will show that EJ finally realizes what Sami told him a few weeks ago in the park - he's become the man he never wanted to be.
I believe they have written Rafe out of the picture coinciding with EJ's realization in order to allow Sami and EJ to grow closer - Sami seeing that EJ finally understands what she warned him about all along. It wasn't that Sami never wanted EJ to be a part of their daughter's life - she didn't want Stefano to have any influence. She was completely conflicted on telling EJ just before she went to WP - both due to her distrust of Stefano and her jealously of his relationship with Nicole. The two of them both made huge miscalculations about how the other felt - classic, soapy angst. It seems to me we're finally heading in to the stage of the story that allows them to both realize how wrong they've been all along and have the opportunity to make things right with one another. Finally.

You know...I think this could have worked if the audience isn't the way it is. Or at leas the way the boards are. Most people (even the EJAMIs) seem to be either Team Sami or Team EJ, and if you love one right now, you hate the other. Even if you want them together, it's because you're overlooking everything you hate about one right now. Obviously, this isn't true for every fan of each character or fanbase as a whole, but it's just the way I've noticed discussions lately. I think the story could have worked, but they did a horrible job of showing cause and effect all the way through.

lcarter5

I can only hope that this brings EJami back together :dance:

magicsteacher
Member Avatar

lagirl
Sep 24 2009, 10:54 AM
Just like EJ didn't tell Sami about himself for what--- 7 months after he came to Salem. He purposely held off telling her he was the son of Stefano Dimera and why he REALLY was brought to Salem.

SocRMum1
Member Avatar
Much prefers sweevil, snarky EJ over Father Figure Fucktard Eejiot.

magicsteacher
Sep 24 2009, 12:07 PM
lagirl
Sep 24 2009, 10:54 AM
Just like EJ didn't tell Sami about himself for what--- 7 months after he came to Salem. He purposely held off telling her he was the son of Stefano Dimera and why he REALLY was brought to Salem.
True - but I don't think anyone would say EJ was in love with Sami at that time. The fact that he fell head over heels in love with her as time went on put one heck of a kink in his father's plans...

magicsteacher
Member Avatar

SocRMum1

So -- badda bing--- Sami is just going to forget about Rafe, the man she has told everyone she is in love with and has been dreaming about, is trying to reach, and desperately trying to find -- and rekindle her feelings for EJ. Why? What would be her motivation for that? Sami has not shown us any indication that she has any feelings for EJ, but all of a sudden, they just appear on the scene?

How have they written Rafe out of the picture? He has been kidnapped by Meredith for a short time, Sami is going to be frantically searching for him with Ari and most likely will be the one to find him. He is supposed to go look for Sydney with Sami, according to the spoilers we have heard.

I remember when Rafe and EJ and Sami were at the funeral home after Grace died, she told EJ that she kept Grace from him b/c she didn't want her raised by a father like him. At first, it was Stefano she feared, but then when she found out that EJ beat up Brady, tried to kill Philip, not once, but twice, and kidnapped her cousin, Stephanie, she realized she didn't want him in Grace's life anymore than his father. And wasn't Sami the one who told her dad, Roman, that if she had to do it all over, she would do the same thing again?
Edited by magicsteacher, Sep 24 2009, 12:29 PM.

Tori

magicsteacher
Sep 24 2009, 12:28 PM
SocRMum1

So -- badda bing--- Sami is just going to forget about Rafe, the man she has told everyone she is in love with and has been dreaming about, is trying to reach, and desperately trying to find -- and rekindle her feelings for EJ. Why? What would be her motivation for that? Sami has not shown us any indication that she has any feelings for EJ, but all of a sudden, they just appear on the scene?

How have they written Rafe out of the picture? He has been kidnapped by Meredith for a short time, Sami is going to be frantically searching for him with Ari and most likely will be the one to find him. He is supposed to go look for Sydney with Sami, according to the spoilers we have heard.

I remember when Rafe and EJ and Sami were at the funeral home after Grace died, she told EJ that she kept Grace from him b/c she didn't want her raised by a father like him. At first, it was Stefano she feared, but then when she found out that EJ beat up Brady, tried to kill Philip, not once, but twice, and kidnapped her cousin, Stephanie, she realized she didn't want him in Grace's life anymore than his father. And wasn't Sami the one who told her dad, Roman, that if she had to do it all over, she would do the same thing again?
I don't know if I would be making any predication based on spoilers or where you think storylines are going. It seems like there has been some changes going on. Galen mentioned it and so did Joe M. Days is entering into that critical time frame and I bet they have focus groups being worked pretty aggressively to make sure they aren't taking these storyline and characters to places that will tune out the viewers. Days has been slipping in those important demographics and they can't afford to do that. It seems from what I read the actors themselves are unsure what is going to be happening with their characters.

SocRMum1
Member Avatar
Much prefers sweevil, snarky EJ over Father Figure Fucktard Eejiot.

Quote:

So -- badda bing--- Sami is just going to forget about Rafe, the man she has told everyone she is in love with and has been dreaming about, is trying to reach, and desperately trying to find -- and rekindle her feelings for EJ.

From the Soaps.com spoilers for the week of 9/28 we have:
Quote:

Sami decides she needs to get over Rafe
Judging from that, it doesn't sound like she keeps up her 'desperate' search for him all that long. And as for guys she dreams about...that's pretty much a standard for Sami. Not so long ago she was waking up from dreams about being in bed with EJ. Or replacing the image of Nicole with herself when looking at EJole's wedding and wishing it was her. I think those were a good indication about her feelings for EJ. There have been plenty of others.

Quote:

How have they written Rafe out of the picture? He has been kidnapped by Meredith for a short time, Sami is going to be frantically searching for him with Ari and most likely will be the one to find him. He is supposed to go look for Sydney with Sami, according to the spoilers we have heard .

I already covered the first part above, but the bolded part of your statement is based on speculation - not spoilers. Many people believe that Nicole will run with Sydney as the truth comes out - which will help cover AZ's maternity leave. But that is not a certainty - nor do we know what the other characters will do if that does happen. It's all speculation.

Quote:

Both EJ and Sami said a lot of things at the funeral home and after Grace died. Grief, shock, anger - they take a terrible toll on people and that was certainly the case there. But at the same time, how often has Sami said - even to Rafe - that EJ is a great father, etc. I don't hold either of them to what they said in the wake of that crushing blow. Time heals those wounds - which is what I think we'll be seeing as the next part of this story unfolds.

EJ and Sami have quite a history together at this point. They've spent years immersed in one another's orbit, despite who either of them might be 'committed' to and yet neither of them have ever been fully able to let go. I think we're finally coming to the point in time that they will both acknowledge the feelings that have long been there and commit to them. All of the obstacles that have kept them apart are being cleared away - no more lies between them, both unattached, an even playing ground. I personally can't wait to watch it all play out. :)

ilovemydays

Tori
Sep 24 2009, 12:48 PM
magicsteacher
SocRMum1

I don't know if I would be making any predication based on spoilers or where you think storylines are going. It seems like there has been some changes going on. Galen mentioned it and so did Joe M. Days is entering into that critical time frame and I bet they have focus groups being worked pretty aggressively to make sure they aren't taking these storyline and characters to places that will tune out the viewers. Days has been slipping in those important demographics and they can't afford to do that. It seems from what I read the actors themselves are unsure what is going to be happening with their characters.

True, November to March is DAYS crunch time and TPTB are going to be working over time to bring in new and old viewers. It makes it all the harder for me to imagine them revisiting Sami and EJ as a couple during this period. IMO they were the biggest ratings let down of all time. EJamicus and Santeen were a major turn off.

The show, ratings wise, has been stronger since the baby switch started and the Passions crew joined the show. Why would the current writers want to go back to a storyline that no only failed but was tied to a different writing staff? My guess is that they won't. I think the EJami ship sailed and sunk with Hogan's regime.

SoapGal1
Member Avatar

ilovemydays
Sep 24 2009, 01:55 PM
Tori
magicsteacher
SocRMum1

True, November to March is DAYS crunch time and TPTB are going to be working over time to bring in new and old viewers. It makes it all the harder for me to imagine them revisiting Sami and EJ as a couple during this period. IMO they were the biggest ratings let down of all time. EJamicus and Santeen were a major turn off.

The show, ratings wise, has been stronger since the baby switch started and the Passions crew joined the show. Why would the current writers want to go back to a storyline that no only failed but was tied to a different writing staff? My guess is that they won't. I think the EJami ship sailed and sunk with Hogan's regime.

Someone with ratings statistics correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that Days held a pretty constant 2.0 to 2.1 during the whole Santeen Ejamicus storylines. Since we've had the addition of our Passions friends we're getting alot of 1.9's and lower. I don't think the ratings have been good enough since the addition of the Hernandez family to say that these current storylines are some sort of success. Yes, I do think the ratings were better during the beginning of the baby switch, but at that time there wasn't the focus on the newer characters and actually EJ and Sami were still believed to be in love or at least dreaming of each other. Since then, the story has been drug out and the focus has moved from the ones who should be telling this story to new uninteresting characters, and the ratings are showing it.

Tori

ilovemydays
Tori
magicsteacher
SocRMum1

The point is that is unclear where they are going. Who knows what they are going to do! I won't try to predict that would be silly. Will they go with Ejami, Ejole, Safe or even Lumi - I have not seen anything indicating a direction one way or the other!

Whatever they do - if the writing is as crappy as it has been - no matter who they go with - DAYS is doomed!

ilovemydays

JANALH
Sep 24 2009, 02:21 PM
ilovemydays
Tori
magicsteacher

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep

Someone with ratings statistics correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that Days held a pretty constant 2.0 to 2.1 during the whole Santeen Ejamicus storylines. Since we've had the addition of our Passions friends we're getting alot of 1.9's and lower. I don't think the ratings have been good enough since the addition of the Hernandez family to say that these current storylines are some sort of success. Yes, I do think the ratings were better during the beginning of the baby switch, but at that time there wasn't the focus on the newer characters and actually EJ and Sami were still believed to be in love or at least dreaming of each other. Since then, the story has been drug out and the focus has moved from the ones who should be telling this story to new uninteresting characters, and the ratings are showing it.

It wasn't me that got the numbers wrong. Perhaps you have forgotten that DAYS was also hovering around the bottom of the soaps heap.

Overall the daytime drama genre has taken a loss in viewers and demos and so the best way to compare how a soap is doing is to compare it to its peers.

DAYS has been almost consistently in third place for nearly a year, a big upswing from the 5th-8th place rankings it was getting during the EJamicus days.

Edited by ilovemydays, Sep 24 2009, 02:31 PM.

lysie
Member Avatar

ilovemydays
Sep 24 2009, 02:28 PM
JANALH
Sep 24 2009, 02:21 PM
ilovemydays
Tori

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep

It wasn't me that got the numbers wrong. Perhaps you have forgotten that DAYS was also hovering around the bottom of the soaps heap.

Overall the daytime drama genre has taken a loss in viewers and demos and so the best way to compare how a soap is doing is to compare it to its peers.

DAYS has been almost consistently in third place for nearly a year, a big upswing from the 6th, 7th and 8th places it was getting during the EJamicus days.

I don't know that I agree with that. The same amount of people are watching Days now, for the most part, as have been for the last couple of years. It's the other shows that are fluctuating. So if Days sucked two years ago, it sucks now. The other shows just suck more. Or their audiences have given up more than Days' audience has. It's not getting higher ratings to put it in 3rd place.
Edited by lysie, Sep 24 2009, 02:33 PM.

Tori

What about those Nielsen ratings???

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/entertainmentnewsbuzz/2009/09/media-giants-advertisers-and-marketers-look-to-create-better-ratings-system.html

Big media has been concerned for years that Nielsen's ratings are not always reflective of the viewing audience, and now that media consume content across so many platforms, those worries have grown.

michelle
Member Avatar

I can't understand how some people can't contemplate that when EJ and Sami find out their child is still alive that it just MIGHT mean something for them as a couple.

As much as Sami thinks she is in love with Rafe now, and she may be, I can't believe that any unresolved feelings for EJ that she might have - (hospital staircase anyone?, Horton cabin anyone?) -won't revisit when they discover their child is still alive. They will be rejoicing in this discovery - Sami and EJ will be - not Brady, Arianna, Mia, Melanie, Hope, Bo, Victor, Kate, Chloe, Dan, etc. This will be huge for the TWO of them. How can that not bring them closer? Rafe may be happy for Sami, but he will have no connection to Sydney as he did with Grace.

Yes, originally she did keep Grace from EJ when she found out that he moved on with Nicole and Stefano, but does that mean that some small part of her heart can't still feel something for EJ as well? The good EJ that is, (whom she did make love with afterall), who until now has been buried under his fatha and deceitful wife.

Sami knows how good EJ can be and I think that has made her anger toward him more intense knowing that he HAS been a good man and that his father and Nicole manipulated him back to his old ways.

I just think Sami and EJ are POSSIBLE again. Finding out about Sydney may be their last chance. Maybe their ship has sailed, but maybe not.

Tori

michelle
Sep 24 2009, 02:49 PM
I can't understand how some people can't contemplate that when EJ and Sami find out their child is still alive that it just MIGHT mean something for them as a couple.

As much as Sami thinks she is in love with Rafe now, and she may be, I can't believe that any unresolved feelings for EJ that she might have - (hospital staircase anyone?, Horton cabin anyone?) -won't revisit when they discover their child is still alive. They will be rejoicing in this discovery - Sami and EJ will be - not Brady, Arianna, Mia, Melanie, Hope, Bo, Victor, Kate, Chloe, Dan, etc. This will be huge for the TWO of them. How can that not bring them closer? Rafe may be happy for Sami, but he will have no connection to Sydney as he did with Grace.

Yes, originally she did keep Grace from EJ when she found out that he moved on with Nicole and Stefano, but does that mean that some small part of her heart can't still feel something for EJ as well? The good EJ that is, (whom she did make love with afterall), who until now has been buried under his fatha and deceitful wife.

Sami knows how good EJ can be and I think that has made her anger toward him more intense knowing that he HAS been a good man and that his father and Nicole manipulated him back to his old ways.

I just think Sami and EJ are POSSIBLE again. Finding out about Sydney may be their last chance. Maybe their ship has sailed, but maybe not.

Good Post!

Tammy101
Member Avatar

michelle
Sep 24 2009, 02:49 PM

Amen! I side with the "maybe not"! I have waited a very long time for Ejami and I am more than ready! I have tuned out more than I have tuned in recently and I am salivating at the chance for Ejami to really be a couple.

ilovemydays

Meh' I like to think that ship sailed and sunk never to return but I suppose anything can happen on a soap.

The problem isn't just that EJami was never that popular in the ratings; another issue is that there are numerous good guys and only one dark male lead and IMO, Sami-the NuMarlena just ain't cut out to be with the bad guy. Add to that, I haven't heard anything to suggest that TPTB are bringing in a new hot male lead to portray Salem's bad boy.

Young bad guys:
EJ

Young good guys:
Rafe
Brady
Philip
Nathan
Will
Dan
Lucas

I would say Chad is questionable but as he is a secondary character I don't think it matters.
Edited by ilovemydays, Sep 24 2009, 03:08 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
Learn More · Register for Free
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply