Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOD: Interview with Crystal Chappell; Oct 6th issue; Article Summary
Topic Started: Sep 23 2009, 01:11 PM (3,910 Views)
Ellie

Please link to DR.

[Note: This is a long article which primarily discusses Chappell's new web series, Venice. This is a summary of the Days-related portions.]

- Chappell says she was concerned about playing Carly again, "because she was such a goody two-shoes and I wasn't really jazzed about coming back to play such a goody-goody." She says she was hoping Carly would be brought back "with an edge", and she says that's exactly what's happened. Chappell says that Carly returns "having killed someone," and that Carly is on the run and is trying to protect someone she loves. "And it's not Bo!" says Chappell.

- Chappell says the most difficult part of playing Carly again is the flashbacks to the 90's, because Chappell says, "I know those clips and I totally sucked!" She jokes that she should come out of the flashbacks saying 'Oh, that's just some really bad acting!'.

- Chappell has not yet worked with Peter Reckell, but she did get a chance to talk to him, and she enjoyed meeting Kristian Alfonso.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

I wonder if the person Carly's loves and is protecting is Nicholas.

Kenny
Member Avatar

Ellie
Sep 23 2009, 01:11 PM
- Chappell says she was concerned about playing Carly again, "because she was such a goody two-shoes and I wasn't really jazzed about coming back to play such a goody-goody."
I knew it!

Back when it was first announced that she was coming back to Days, I could tell she wasn't happy about it. Everyone was like, "Oh... you're reading too much into it. She's just sad that GL is ending." But I was right, LoL. Her heart wasn't in it, and IMO, her heart still isn't in it. She might be enjoying the story in terms of getting steady work and still getting a paycheck, but I don't think she feels emotionally connected to Days at all. I think this is just another job for her. On Twitter and in interviews, she's always gushing about GL and chomping at the bit to talk about Venice, but the only time she mentions Days is when someone directly asks her about it. She never goes out of her way to gush about Carly the way she gushes about other characters/shows/projects.

Anyway, I wonder who the character is that Carly is trying to protect? Clearly it isn't Lawrence, because he's the one she knifes. And it isn't Bo, so who does that leave? Rafe? LoL.

Thanks for posting this, Ellie! :)

lysie
Member Avatar

DrewHamilton
Sep 23 2009, 01:21 PM
I'm worried it's gonna end up being Melanie or Mia.

daysfan
Member Avatar

Kenny
Sep 23 2009, 01:23 PM
Ellie
- Chappell says she was concerned about playing Carly again, "because she was such a goody two-shoes and I wasn't really jazzed about coming back to play such a goody-goody."
I knew it!

Back when it was first announced that she was coming back to Days, I could tell she wasn't happy about it. Everyone was like, "Oh... you're reading too much into it. She's just sad that GL is ending." But I was right, LoL. Her heart wasn't in it, and IMO, her heart still isn't in it. She might be enjoying the story in terms of getting steady work and still getting a paycheck, but I don't think she feels emotionally connected to Days at all. I think this is just another job for her. On Twitter and in interviews, she's always gushing about GL and chomping at the bit to talk about Venice, but the only time she mentions Days is when someone directly asks her about it. She never goes out of her way to gush about Carly the way she gushes about other characters/shows/projects.

Anyway, I wonder who the character is that Carly is trying to protect? Clearly it isn't Lawrence, because he's the one she knifes. And it isn't Bo, so who does that leave? Rafe? LoL.

I agree, to an extent. Crystal definitely sounded totally uninterested when her return was first announced. I do think part of it was that GL was ending, but you could really tell that she was not interested at all, and back then most of what she talked about when it came to Carly was throwing some Olivia into her. However, now, I do think she is genuinely excited and enjoying it.

Kenny
Member Avatar

DrewHamilton
I doubt it. If he hasn't been cast, he doesn't exist, LoL. This show is really good at forgetting about characters like that.

Cupcake06

Kenny
so who does that leave? Rafe? LoL.
:laugh:

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

lysie
Sep 23 2009, 01:26 PM
DrewHamilton
Oh, great. Now I'm worried about that too.

I have to agree with Crystal that I'm not that impressed with the acting in her old clips, lol, though I didn't mind Carly at the time.

Thanks for posting, Ellie!

lysie
Member Avatar

Paxton
Sep 23 2009, 01:33 PM
lysie
Sep 23 2009, 01:26 PM
DrewHamilton
Oh, great. Now I'm worried about that too.

I have to agree with Crystal that I'm not that impressed with the acting in her old clips, lol, though I didn't mind Carly at the time.

Thanks for posting, Ellie!
I didn't want to be the only one living in fear.

MrsDimera

Kenny
Sep 23 2009, 01:28 PM
DrewHamilton
I doubt it. If he hasn't been cast, he doesn't exist, LoL. This show is really good at forgetting about characters like that.
It may be Nicholas who is now Chad. After all they did switch Georgia to Chelsea. :shrug:

Ellie

Kenny
Ellie
I knew it!

I agree with you, Kenny. (And you're welcome everyone!) To be fair, SOD began this section of the article with Chappell's saying Days is "a blast", but I don't think that changes the overall situation, which is imo exactly as you're describing. Chappell has just finished putting all of her creative energy into GL and the Otalia pairing, and it seems to me also that that creative energy is now being channeled into Venice. Days does seem like just her 'day job' (so to speak). Not that I blame her - the Otalia pairing was successful and groundbreaking, and it would make sense that she'd want to continue working in that vein.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Kenny
I definitely see your points. She does seem to be more willing to say good things about GL and Venice on her own, and it seems like she only discusses DAYS when other people do. It may just be because I started watching a couple years after Carly already left, but I feel absolutely no connection to Carly. She's not connected to DAYS at all and it's really showing and I fear it's going to show even more once she arrives. Unlike Frankie, Steve, Kayla and even Justin, Carly has no real connections to Salem. Frankie and Kayla were Bradys and were often mentioned in passing. Steve was the same way and he was related to Jack. Justin has the Kiriakis family to come back. What connects Carly to the show? Nothing at all.

daysfan
Member Avatar

MrsDimera
Sep 23 2009, 01:44 PM
Kenny
DrewHamilton
It may be Nicholas who is now Chad. After all they did switch Georgia to Chelsea. :shrug:
I'd HATE it if Chad was Nicholas....that would be a MASSIVE de-aging. Nicholas had an affair with KATE, Chad's rival's grandmother, ten years ago! Not to mention that was when Will was like a kid at the time, so Chad would've been, too...and it would totally screw up the story with Nikki/Vivian/Carly/Lawrence all those years ago, too.

But Days has done that sort of thing a few times....

Kenny
Member Avatar

MrsDimera
It may be Nicholas who is now Chad.
:puke: :puke: :puke:

Can you even picture Kate and Chad getting it on ten years ago? LoL

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Kenny
DrewHamilton
:lol: True! He could be cast though. I mean, they're bringing Lawrence and Vivian back as well. Who's missing from that bunch? Nicholas. Perhaps Nicholas is in hiding right now, and won't show up for a while, and that's why he hasn't been cast yet. Remember how long it took the show to cast Brady even though his character was being talked about on a regular basis a whole month before the character was brought onto the show.

darraholic
Member Avatar
Ikagoddess <3

MrsDimera
Kenny
DrewHamilton
That would :drunk: since Kate & Nicholas had a wild affair.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

MrsDimera
I'm not going to lie. That thought crossed my mind. Perhaps Chad is Nicholas' alias that he has been using for a while now so that Lawrence can't find him.

daysfan
Member Avatar

DrewHamilton
Sep 23 2009, 01:48 PM
Kenny
DrewHamilton
:lol: True! He could be cast though. I mean, they're bringing Lawrence and Vivian back as well. Who's missing from that bunch? Nicholas. Perhaps Nicholas is in hiding right now, and won't show up for a while, and that's why he hasn't been cast yet. Remember how long it took the show to cast Brady even though his character was being talked about on a regular basis a whole month before the character was brought onto the show.
Hell, it took Brady an entire YEAR of being talked about before he was brought back. :lol:

lysie
Member Avatar

Kenny
Sep 23 2009, 01:47 PM
MrsDimera
It may be Nicholas who is now Chad.
:puke: :puke: :puke:

Can you even picture Kate and Chad getting it on ten years ago? LoL
I think it's a crime for us to picture that.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

daysfan
Sep 23 2009, 01:46 PM
I'd HATE it if Chad was Nicholas....that would be a MASSIVE de-aging. Nicholas had an affair with KATE, Chad's rival's grandmother, ten years ago! Not to mention that was when Will was like a kid at the time, so Chad would've been, too...and it would totally screw up the story with Nikki/Vivian/Carly/Lawrence all those years ago, too.

But Days has done that sort of thing a few times....
Nicholas' previous time in Salem could easily be forgotten. It happens every time a character is reacst through SORASing or de-SORASing.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply