Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOD: Interview with Crystal Chappell; Oct 6th issue; Article Summary
Topic Started: Sep 23 2009, 01:11 PM (3,759 Views)
darraholic
Member Avatar
The Queen

I'd rather Chad just be another child of Carly & Lawrence then be Nicholas.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

darraholic
Sep 23 2009, 01:54 PM
That could work.

Kenny
Member Avatar

darraholic
Sep 23 2009, 01:54 PM
Ditto. Having him be Nicholas is just too icky. Ickier than usual for this show, LoL.

Maybe Nicholas is dead.

Harmony233

Kenny
Sep 23 2009, 01:23 PM
Ellie
Sep 23 2009, 01:11 PM
- Chappell says she was concerned about playing Carly again, "because she was such a goody two-shoes and I wasn't really jazzed about coming back to play such a goody-goody."
I knew it!

Back when it was first announced that she was coming back to Days, I could tell she wasn't happy about it. Everyone was like, "Oh... you're reading too much into it. She's just sad that GL is ending." But I was right, LoL. Her heart wasn't in it, and IMO, her heart still isn't in it. She might be enjoying the story in terms of getting steady work and still getting a paycheck, but I don't think she feels emotionally connected to Days at all. I think this is just another job for her. On Twitter and in interviews, she's always gushing about GL and chomping at the bit to talk about Venice, but the only time she mentions Days is when someone directly asks her about it. She never goes out of her way to gush about Carly the way she gushes about other characters/shows/projects.

Anyway, I wonder who the character is that Carly is trying to protect? Clearly it isn't Lawrence, because he's the one she knifes. And it isn't Bo, so who does that leave? Rafe? LoL.

Thanks for posting this, Ellie! :)
It might be because her experience at GL was totally differnt from the first time she was on DOOL.From what I understand the GL cast hung out together after work and a bunch of them are on her online soap Venice and doing it for free right now.Yeah I could see Carly trying to protect her kid or kids if she had another one.

daysfan
Member Avatar

I think I'd definitely prefer Chad just being another child...I mean, Chad's around the age of Will and Mia, right? That would put his birth at around the time that Carly/Lawrence left Salem...not really too much of a stretch for Days. And MUCH less of one than him being Nicholas.

Kailyn

well to be honest I don't imagine anyone would be running back to Days for the great storylines . this is a job and in this economy a job is better then no job you can't be picky. sounds to me like thats what her attitude is. yes they made some things sound interesting for her but this is Days the same one that has promised alot that never happens. I just hope this won't disappoint. but I don't put alot of stock in to what anyone says. the poor actors are forced to say that this is such a wonderful place to be blah blah blah to save there hides from being fired. when I was at the soap event last Nov. at Universal Studios PR and Steve couldn't have sounded more sarcastic in there response when I asked them what the future storylines held they both were like bored to death at the thought and the answer was very sarcastic.

Harmony233

I wonder when we will hear about this mystery person Carly is protecting.I doubt its a lover.The only thing I could think of was a kid of hers.

Win

I think people are reading way too much into Crystal's interviews since it was announced she would be returning to Days.

Crystal was the first GL cast-member to be hired for a new role and the only cast-member lucky enough to be regularly employed in Daytime when Guiding Light ended. She had enormous respect for Guiding Light and her fellow cast members and I see her concentration on GL as not wanting to flaunt her good fortune while a show they all loved was ending and their own careers in Daytime were on hold.

She has also not been allowed to say much about her returning storyline until now, when the first spoilers are beginning to filter through. And, while her position on Days is established and she knows she is settled there for the long term, Venice is only just starting up, and it makes sense that she would use the impetus from her storyline on GL to support and promote something that she and her friends are donating their own time, money and creative skills to.

I don't share the general view in this thread that Crystal isn't enthusiastic about recreating Carly ... she has tweeted about how much she's enjoying it, she has also said in interviews that when she reads her scripts, the writing is so good and so classically Daytime, that she doesn't want it to end.

I also have a little insider knowledge ... not a lot, just bits & pieces ... and everything I have heard tells me that Crystal is very happy to have this chance to reinvent Carly, and that's she's having a lot of fun doing it.

Edited by Win, Sep 23 2009, 06:38 PM.

sofie

Win
Sep 23 2009, 06:34 PM
I think people are reading way too much into Crystal's interviews since it was announced she would be returning to Days.

Crystal was the first GL cast-member to be hired for a new role and the only cast-member lucky enough to be regularly employed in Daytime when Guiding Light ended. She had enormous respect for Guiding Light and her fellow cast members and I see her concentration on GL as not wanting to flaunt her good fortune while a show they all loved was ending and their own careers in Daytime were on hold.

She has also not been allowed to say much about her returning storyline until now, when the first spoilers are beginning to filter through. And, while her position on Days is established and she knows she is settled there for the long term, Venice is only just starting up, and it makes sense that she would use the impetus from her storyline on GL to support and promote something that she and her friends are donating their own time, money and creative skills to.

I don't share the general view in this thread that Crystal isn't enthusiastic about recreating Carly ... she has tweeted about how much she's enjoying it, she has also said in interviews that when she reads her scripts, the writing is so good and so classically Daytime, that she doesn't want it to end.

I also have a little insider knowledge ... not a lot, just bits & pieces ... and everything I have heard tells me that Crystal is very happy to have this chance to reinvent Carly, and that's she's having a lot of fun doing it.

Totally agree with you Win. I can't wait for Carly's return - to have a traditional soap story with murder, mayhem, adultery, ghosts from Christmas past - what could be more wonderful than that? Here's to Vivian, Carly and Lawrence returning to Days.

I've read Crystal's recent interviews and she seems nothing but gracious and grateful for whatever she is doing - I think, like Win, that she didn't want to flaunt her new gig on Days while GL was ending and her castmates, her friends, would be essentially unemployed.

cubfnatic
Member Avatar

Crystal Chappell is one of the most gracious, greatful and salt of the earth people you will every meet. I have read where Crystal has said in past interviews that she is very happy to be working and that she is excited about her new role on Days, especially on twitter. She said the new Carly is exciting and it is something that she has never done before. She has also mentioned that she loves the Days cast and her new home.

Follow her on twitter at @crystalchappell or on facebook at http://tinyurl.com/crystalfb

Mason

cubfnatic
Sep 23 2009, 07:00 PM
She said the new Carly is exciting
This is what concerns me: the "new" Carly. Granted, I get that people can change a lot in 16 years, but the way Chappell is talking, it sounds like they're basically starting over from scratch with Carly, like for all intents and purposes, she'll just be a new character with an old name and an old face. Maybe I'm wrong, and I hope I am, but so far, nothing's really allaying my fears.

Win

Crystal has stated that Carly is still an innately good person, who will always try to do the right thing. It's just that she'll be be making some bad decisions which will affect, not only herself, but others she loves as well.

DOOL's original version of Carly actually had a lot of "edge" that could be used as a foundation for evolution in the character. She wasn't just a dedicated, sensitive, caring doctor, she also loved pool, a good beer & striptease and could have been an Outward Bound instructor as well. She also had a bit of a dark side which is probably why she was attracted to Lawrence in the first place. The difference between them was that Carly fought her dark side, but Lawrence embraced his. When they flew off to Paris together in 1993, I figured that would become a huge dividing factor in their relationship.

From what I'm hearing/reading in interviews and various tweets, I think the main change will be that Carly won't be written as the "silently suffering, tormented heroine" quite so broadly and frequently as she was the first time round. And even if the writers do choose to torment her, she'll react to things with a bit more fire and humour than she used to.
Edited by Win, Sep 24 2009, 07:23 AM.

Daysfanatic79
Member Avatar

Win
Sep 24 2009, 07:15 AM
Crystal has stated that Carly is still an innately good person, who will always try to do the right thing. It's just that she'll be be making some bad decisions which will affect, not only herself, but others she loves as well.

DOOL's original version of Carly actually had a lot of "edge" that could be used as a foundation for evolution in the character. She wasn't just a dedicated, sensitive, caring doctor, she also loved pool, a good beer & striptease and could have been an Outward Bound instructor as well. She also had a bit of a dark side which is probably why she was attracted to Lawrence in the first place. The difference between them was that Carly fought her dark side, but Lawrence embraced his. When they flew off to Paris together in 1993, I figured that would become a huge dividing factor in their relationship.

From what I'm hearing/reading in interviews and various tweets, I think the main change will be that Carly won't be written as the "silently suffering, tormented heroine" quite so broadly and frequently as she was the first time round. And even if the writers do choose to torment her, she'll react to things with a bit more fire and humour than she used to.
This my my first post on the Days board at Daytime Royalty. This is a great site!!

I agree that this time it seems she will be a little more combative, which will be a nice change. We need more strong women on this show that are not crazy or mean.

Sami has been defanged (too much IMO), Kate is simply nuts, and Hope (IMO) has gone from strong heroine to a woman bent on bitterness and self-pity. I think they will straighten Hope out by pitting her in a situation that requires her to heal and get back to the true heroine that she has always been.

Right now, the strongest woman on this show is Maggie, and thats fitting. It is so good to see her carrying the torch as the shows heart and soul.

Back to Carly, I think this time she won't roll over and take it like she did in her previous run. I loved Carly, and missed her when she left, but I have to admit that there were times I wanted her to be a bit more feisty and energized. I think this time around, we will see her in a different light. We need a character like this on the canvas.

Harmony233

Daysfanatic79
Sep 24 2009, 09:36 AM
Win

This my my first post on the Days board at Daytime Royalty. This is a great site!!

I agree that this time it seems she will be a little more combative, which will be a nice change. We need more strong women on this show that are not crazy or mean.

Sami has been defanged (too much IMO), Kate is simply nuts, and Hope (IMO) has gone from strong heroine to a woman bent on bitterness and self-pity. I think they will straighten Hope out by pitting her in a situation that requires her to heal and get back to the true heroine that she has always been.

Right now, the strongest woman on this show is Maggie, and thats fitting. It is so good to see her carrying the torch as the shows heart and soul.

Back to Carly, I think this time she won't roll over and take it like she did in her previous run. I loved Carly, and missed her when she left, but I have to admit that there were times I wanted her to be a bit more feisty and energized. I think this time around, we will see her in a different light. We need a character like this on the canvas.
IA ecspecially after PR Bo left.It seemed like they had Carly cry constantly back then.I think I remeber reading an interview with CC back then that she wanted Carly to come out of the buried alive thing with more fire or something like that.

BBK

From interviews I have read, Crystal is very enthusiastic about her return to DOOL, she even tweeted from the set the first day upon her return, and has tweeted more than once since then about working on the show. I believe she has also said how great it is working with Peter again after all this time and being excited about how Carly is being written and the plans for her character.

It makes perfect sense her for to be sad about the demise of Guiding Light as its loss was significant to the entire soap community. And for Crystal its even more momentous as its been her home for 10 years and she is no longer seeing her close friends on a regular basis after having spent so much time with working with them. That would be hard for anyone.

Luckily she found a new home at DOOL, and even though the production model is different, she will adapt quickly and easily because she is a consumate professional, and judging by interviews, a warm and caring person who will give her all to her portrayal of the new Carly.

As for whether Carly is different, after 16 years I would certainly expect her to have changed some, grown more as life experience has shaped and molded her due to the circumstances she has faced. We do not want her standing still, but coming back a stronger person, who also brings with her new and exciting aspects to her character to keep us on our toes! Life moves on and so do people, it seems realistic to me she would not be the same person she was back then. I cant imagine the writers would make her unrecognizable to fans though, or why wouldnt they have just brought Crystal back as a new character? Not like they havent done that before (Chris K to Roman)

Looking forward greatly to Oct 2 to see exactly what Carly 2.0 looks like and how she might shake things up in Salem!! Good luck to Crystal!!!
Edited by BBK, Sep 24 2009, 01:35 PM.

dylan76
Member Avatar

Win
she also loved pool, a good beer & striptease and could have been an Outward Bound instructor as well.
That is why I always loved Carly. She was a doctor AND a princess. She was refined but she could swig beer at the Cheatin Heart too. I will never forget that striptease she did on that pool table. One of my favorite DAYS moments ever. I am pumped to see Crystal take an awesome character and giver her even more layers. Carly was beautiful, but dark, too. I always thought that she had great 'bitch' potential.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Win
Sep 23 2009, 06:34 PM

FANTASTIC POST!

People need to remember that this is one of only a few interviews since GL ended. GL was still around when all other interviews were printed since her return to Days was announced. She isn't going to just go on and on about Days and how great it is when she is one of the only people from GL who has work and when her fans are heartbroken over losing GL and Otalia. That would make her look like a heartless bitch. She focused on talking about Venice for that same reason. It's her way of reaching out to her GL and Otalia fans. There wasn't much to talk about in regards to Days until now because spoilers are out there and the storyline needs to be pimped. What the hell was she supposed to say in interviews before this? Days kept a tight lid on things right up until the point where they needed to start promoting her return. Hell, even Sabatino's return was kept very close to the vest until this week.

Besides, she never said she was reluctant to go back to Days. She said she had doubts about playing the CHARACTER again. It had nothing to do with the show. She wanted a different Carly. She didn't want to play a doormat. She never said anything about having doubts about going back to Days. She just wasn't sure about the character. Talk about missing the point completely LOL.

I can't wait to see her, especially because Carly will be different. I loved her in the 90's but the character did need a bit more edge and development. There is plenty to work with there now to accomplish that and I look forward to it. I also look forward to Venice too.

tabgc
Member Avatar

Thanks for the thoughtful post, Win.

I wouldn't be jazzed about playing a character who hadn't changed a darn bit in 16 years, either! That doesn't mean she doesn't want to come back to Days!

THANKFULLY, Carly HAS changed, like most people. I'm glad they aren't dragging Crystal (and Carly) back to end up not giving her a decent part to play!

I ABSOLUTELY look forward to the show. Crystal is only going to be an asset. :)

Daysnet Australia
Member Avatar

ANYONE ELSE THINK THAT CARLY HAD BO'S KID???????

TV GUIDE CANADA
Carlyís got two big fat secrets on DAYS! More Otalia scandalia!
Soapgeist encourages everyone to start watching DAYS. While Crystal Chappell returns to reclaim what is rightfully hers on Oct. 2, November Sweeps is the month you canít miss (Louise Sorel is killing it, report moles). As most fans know, Carly returns to town having killed someone, but Soapgeist has learned Princess Katrina actually has another bombshell secret. And itís a doozy! Our lips are sealed. Unfortunately, the second secret has not made me a happy camper, but if anyone can make it work, itís La Chappell.

Speaking of La Chappell, the gay icon tweeted recently that GL did indeed tape a kiss between Olivia and Natalia for the finale but it was cut. Chappell-erella wrote, ďNat and O send Rafe off to Army. I kissed her cheek, [but] the scene never made the show.Ē

Win

I think it's a possibility that the current Days writers would have Carly being pregnant with Bo's child when she left for Paris with Lawrence 16 years ago.

They would be re-writing history, though, because one of the factors that undermined Bo & Carly's relationship before she left was the fact that Carly couldn't have children because of something that happened with Nikki's birth. Knowing that she could never have Bo's child made her connection to Lawrence through their child together all the more powerful.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply