Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Weekly Discussion; Week of 9/28 - 10/2
Topic Started: Sep 27 2009, 01:29 PM (6,961 Views)
dooldooldool

sungrey
Oct 3 2009, 08:46 AM
DrewHamilton
Oct 2 2009, 03:00 PM
I missed the majority of today's episode. I caught the first 5 minutes and the last like 15. And the ending, I was just like WTF?! Did Carly and Lawrence appear at all throughout the episode?
No, that was it. About 10 seconds and that's all. You can't just drop in a scene like that and expect people to get it. I mean yeah, we all knew CC was coming back, but someone who is spoiler-free is going to go "Who the hell are these characters?"
It actually clocked in at 18 seconds, if you count the camera pan from candles to bedroom. ITA that it was not as effective as it could have been. The extreme closeups didn't help much either. Presumably, the full argument will be played out in flashbacks.

I would have preferred some hints along the way. Samantha is in the cemetary on Monday, so it would have been fun to have her allude to Carly's burial plot as comic relief rather than a drowning poodle. Or have Roman get a text about something and muse "now there's a name I haven't thought about in awhile".

And maybe use Brady to somehow allude to his Alemain roots when he joked about the perks of being a Kiriakis (since Brady's father was raised by an Alemain). There was no need for big huge anvils, but a couple of throw-away lines in existing scenes with characters in the episode would have really made me squeal.

Missed opportunities.

And when did Michael Sabatino start getting his wigs from the Michael Jackson Collection? Yechhhh.

(edit) Oh, of course, AZ rocked as she grasped at (surprisingly reasonable-sounding) straws. Outstanding scenes that will get edited into my 25-year DOOL archive collection....
Edited by dooldooldool, Oct 3 2009, 09:57 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Alligato
Member Avatar

I thought Friday's show was excellent!
I kept yelling at the tv "Nicole, Tell Him!!!". And even JS was good, minus that one little shaking hand thing he had going on. Nicole is so busted, and EJ is ready, and he even played a little mind trick on her with the belly, but she is holding her own with the lies, and when he yelled at her and she yelled back, YES!!! That is what I want to see in my couples...a good argument with yelling and crying and drama and passion! I love when Nicole holds her own! It's killing me that she just doesn't tell him the whole truth!

Very impressed with AZ and JS's performances, and so psyched about this reveal! Keep it cool, JS, and you will kick ass! He's looking good in his tight ass jeans though...JS's looks are in proportion to his acting, imo. :)

Carly and Lawrence at the end was WTF! Because of all the talk, I checked out Prevuze to see the ending and I wish I hadn't because that would have been awesome to have been surprised with. Came out of nowhere! Then again, I remember Lawrence and Carly. If I was a new viewer, I'd been confused a bit.

I was so enthralled with the baby reveal and EJ that I couldn't tell you what else happened on Friday. Still zoning through Rafe and Arianna. With all that is going on, I just don't want them to be a part of it. When it gets this exciting, I just want the main characters on! LOL!
Can't wait for Monday!
Excellent week, Days!

sungrey

Overall I thought Friday's show was impressive, even with the jarring moment at the end. We'll likely find out more on Monday about what the hell happened, I'm sure. All I can say is Crystal, good to have ya back!

Days4Life

I've been out of town and only able to see bits and pieces of the last few days' episodes (although they are safely stored on my DVR at home), but I saw the last half of Friday's episode and was blown away. I can't wait to get home and see the full episode. As for Carly and Lawrence, I had totally forgotten about their returns being so soon and it was a real shock to see that ending. Loved it! There's nothing like being unspoiled and getting an awesome surprise like that.

☼ Jinx ☼
Member Avatar
Live. Love. Laugh. ♥

Fridays episode was amazing! I had shivers at the end when EJ was yelling at Nicole. That scene was delivered so well.

lene
Member Avatar

Posted Image

lysie
Member Avatar

I was really disappointed with the Carly/Lawrence scene. It had a weird flow to it. Like, it started out all intense and then the way it ended was just...blah. I don't know how to explain it. When the part where you can't actually see the actors is the most exciting part, there's a problem. I'm hoping that the redo of it on Monday will come across better on Monday. I admittedly was not the slightest bit excited about this return anyway, but the actual story sounded good, so I made sure to watch. I didn't even hate that it had no build up. I thought that made it kind of interesting. I don't know why it fell so flat for me.

Kenny
Member Avatar

I think what made it weird was that we heard Lawrence slapping her, and then we heard her telling him to "stop it" as if they were struggling, but when it cut to the actors they weren't struggling at all. He suddenly had a knife in his belly and that was that, LoL. The scene had a very weird flow. The vocals didn't match what was actually happening.

Mason

Kenny
Oct 2 2009, 04:50 PM
I hope we get a promo like this when Vivian returns!
I just hope we got a promo for her at all. We barely got one for Carly.

lysie
Member Avatar

Kenny
Oct 3 2009, 09:58 PM
I think what made it weird was that we heard Lawrence slapping her, and then we heard her telling him to "stop it" as if they were struggling, but when it cut to the actors they weren't struggling at all. He suddenly had a knife in his belly and that was that, LoL. The scene had a very weird flow. The vocals didn't match what was actually happening.
I think that's what it was. It made it look like bad acting, but if you just see the knife part it's kind of cool. Maybe they were watching TV.

Mason

Kenny
Oct 3 2009, 09:58 PM
I didn't like the way that was shot at all. It was really awkwardly done.

Still, it was quite exciting to see Carly again! Monday can't get here soon enough.

Gina
Member Avatar

I did know from reading Prevuze that Carly and Lawrence would make a return, just didn't know it would be those last seconds on Friday. (So unexpected...all we heard was arguing..then she stabbed him). Good thing there was a closeup on their faces. Your all right....for those that don't know who they are, their all confused:(
I really thought EJ had Nicole pined in a corner...especially producing that fake pregnancy belly.But she does hold her own and manages to squirm out of it everytime.
The other surprise ending for me was when Meredith dragged Rafe to (I think was the pier). Because it seemed as if she pushed and rolled his body into water; from the sound of the splash.

Gina
Member Avatar

lene...excellent capture of that scene with Carly and lawrence :shithitfan:

SoapGal1
Member Avatar

I have to say, this past week has been some of the best Days I've seen in awhile. Loved Nicole getting busted. AZ and JS really knocked it out of the park. Very little overacting, which I really liked. Loved seeing Carly and Lawerence at the end. Carly looked cold!! What was with MS's hair?? I remember thinking he was so HOT back in the day!! I've always had a thing for the bad boys!!

Could've done without Rafe and Meredith, it was like the show was on a roll in every other scene, then they panned to them and it just fell flat. The only negative about Friday's show was them. I really don't care what she's doing with Rafe, he's not a major player in this story, and I don't know why tptb keep focusing on him. Guess it's Tomlin and his fetish with the Passions folk. Personally, It think this story should focus on EJ, Sami, Nicole, Stefano, and to some extent Brady they are the players in this story.

Overall, great week Days!!

magicsteacher
Member Avatar

JANALH
Oct 4 2009, 03:09 PM
I have to say, this past week has been some of the best Days I've seen in awhile. Loved Nicole getting busted. AZ and JS really knocked it out of the park. Very little overacting, which I really liked. Loved seeing Carly and Lawerence at the end. Carly looked cold!! What was with MS's hair?? I remember thinking he was so HOT back in the day!! I've always had a thing for the bad boys!!

Could've done without Rafe and Meredith, it was like the show was on a roll in every other scene, then they panned to them and it just fell flat. The only negative about Friday's show was them. I really don't care what she's doing with Rafe, he's not a major player in this story, and I don't know why tptb keep focusing on him. Guess it's Tomlin and his fetish with the Passions folk. Personally, It think this story should focus on EJ, Sami, Nicole, Stefano, and to some extent Brady they are the players in this story.

Rafe is a major player in this s/l. He is the only one who has figured out what really happened and has been suspicious of Nicole from the get go when no one else was. That is why Stefano and Nicole wanted to get him out of the picture. Besides the fact is that he is in love with Sami and is willing to do anything for her. He has been there for Sami since the beginning so how could he not be a major player?
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

SocRMum1
Member Avatar
Much prefers sweevil, snarky EJ over Father Figure Fucktard Eejiot.

magicsteacher
Oct 4 2009, 07:20 PM
JANALH

Rafe is a major player in this s/l. He is the only one who has figured out what really happened and has been suspicious of Nicole from the get go when no one else was. That is why Stefano and Nicole wanted to get him out of the picture. Besides the fact is that he is in love with Sami and is willing to do anything for her. He has been there for Sami since the beginning so how could he not be a major player?
Rafe was no where around in the beginning - when Sami found out she was pregnant, etc. This story has always been about Sami, EJ and Nicole with Mia and later Stefano becoming supporting players. Rafe figuring things out was a red herring for the audience - to build anticipation that Sami was finally going to learn the truth...but then didn't. Then poof! He's out of the story.

magicsteacher
Member Avatar

SocRMum1
Oct 4 2009, 08:19 PM
magicsteacher
JANALH

Rafe was no where around in the beginning - when Sami found out she was pregnant, etc. This story has always been about Sami, EJ and Nicole with Mia and later Stefano becoming supporting players. Rafe figuring things out was a red herring for the audience - to build anticipation that Sami was finally going to learn the truth...but then didn't. Then poof! He's out of the story.
Wasn't Rafe the one who protected Sami and her daughter? Wasn't he the one that risked his life not once, but twice to make sure she and her baby were protected and safe? Maybe he wasn't there when she got pregnant, but he was there from the end of October on when she needed support and protection. It wasn't only his job, he said it himself, he cared about her and loved her. She fell in love with him, too. Rafe may be out of the story for a week or two, but he is certainly not out of the story permanently. Do you honestly think that they had Rafe figure things out and then poof-- he won't be around anymore? Don't think so.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

lysie
Member Avatar

magicsteacher
Oct 4 2009, 08:42 PM
SocRMum1
magicsteacher
JANALH

Wasn't Rafe the one who protected Sami and her daughter? Wasn't he the one that risked his life not once, but twice to make sure she and her baby were protected and safe? Maybe he wasn't there when she got pregnant, but he was there from the end of October on when she needed support and protection. It wasn't only his job, he said it himself, he cared about her and loved her. She fell in love with him, too. Rafe may be out of the story for a week or two, but he is certainly not out of the story permanently. Do you honestly think that they had Rafe figure things out and then poof-- he won't be around anymore? Don't think so.
Yes, he was. Rafe was more of a player than EJ who has been a supporting player since last October. GG was hired at the same time TPTB decided to write in AS's pregnancy specifcally to be with her and for this story. This story couldn't be more about him if both babies had popped out of his uterus speaking in his monotone voice.
Edited by lysie, Oct 4 2009, 08:47 PM.

SocRMum1
Member Avatar
Much prefers sweevil, snarky EJ over Father Figure Fucktard Eejiot.

magicsteacher
Oct 4 2009, 08:42 PM
SocRMum1
magicsteacher
JANALH

Rafe was reluctantly assigned to protect her. It was his JOB. And he was actually pretty lousy at it - how many times did she manage to get away from him? As for risking his life...uhhh..yeah. I'd have to say that prize goes to Hilda. Posthumously. :shame: Rafe was a miserable failure when it came to protecting Sami...hence the fact that he was no where to be found when she gave birth and had her baby stolen from her. He gets no kudos from me. :hmmph:

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Mitchapalooza
Oct 2 2009, 03:38 PM
DrewHamilton
Oct 2 2009, 03:13 PM
Then Carly's return was just as I expected: a complete WTF?! No build up. Nothing. Bo wasn't even on the episode.
I think that was the point...put her on at the end of a Friday episode, have her stab someone and then end the show with her....leaving viewers wondering WHAT THE FUCK, giving them more reason to tune in on Monday and find out what the fuck happened OR who this chick is.

Monday's episode is a much better episode as far as Carly is concerned.

IMO it was a GREAT way to bring her back.
I agree.

This makes an impact right off the bat. It brings attention to the character and that is important. Carly has been gone for 16 years. There are going to be many in Days' current audience who have no idea who she is. The show never mentioned her or any of the Alamain's over the years. The mistake Days made with Steve and Kayla and other returns is that they brought them back in ways that didn't grab the audience. For example, JER bringing back Hope during the Maison Blanche story was a stroke of genius. It was a fantastic umbrella story and Hope interacted with many current characters. There was an impact right away and new fans were drawn in. That never happened with any of the big returns since then. They didn't sell them to fans who didn't know them. This will. People will wonder WTF happened and why this woman stabbed her husband. It makes people invest from day one and when it's revealed she used to be involved with Bo, Justin, etc. it will only add to a new fans interest. It's perfect! Days is doing it right. You have Carly make an impact and then you involve her with more characters besides who she used to interact with. That is the way to go.

I even think it works for fans who do know them. It grabs attention and that is what you want as opposed to a normal re-introduction that drags on at the start.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply