Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOD/SOW: Carly kills Lawrence!; Oct 13th issues; Summary of Articles
Topic Started: Sep 30 2009, 12:52 PM (6,225 Views)
Sindacco
Member Avatar

Ellie
Sep 30 2009, 04:35 PM
Sindacco
Sep 30 2009, 03:12 PM
Even though this sounds good I don't want Lawrence to die :(
I bet he was an afterthought, like once Days had agreed with Crystal that she was coming back, they thought, hey, what if we have Sabatino in a few scenes too? I don't think it was ever the plan to have him back long term.
I think you're right. But I was more excited about his return than Carly's.
Edited by Sindacco, Sep 30 2009, 05:03 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Daysfanatic79
Member Avatar

Sindacco
Sep 30 2009, 03:12 PM
Even though this sounds good I don't want Lawrence to die :(
This is "Days of Our Lives", and realistically, on this show, does anyone ever really die? I mean, you have a better chance of staying off canvas if you leave happy. "Days" loves the shock of bringing someone back from the dead. And yes, he's "haunting" Carly, but so did all the "dead" people during the Salem Stalker storyline. Whitesell may not be Reilly, but he's the closest writer we've had to his style in a long, long time.

That said, I think having Lawrence dead serves a valuable purpose. We have not seen Katerina in years. Having her kill her husband is the perfect setup for her return. Really, it gives this storyline a sense of purpose.

For those new fans who have not seen the old Lawrence and Carly, I encourage you to go to YouTube and look them up. 1990-1993 was a complex "in Between" time for "Days".

Post Steve and Kayla
Jack and Jenn were the last really "HUGE" supercouple in Daytime (Thats really practically a fact), and they dominated much of the period.
Marlena came back, but wasn't used till Anderson came back as HW.
Basically the main heroines were Isabella, Jennifer, Kimberly, and Carly.
Really, Carly and Bo dominated late 1991-mid 1993

dooldooldool

MrsDimera
Sep 30 2009, 01:33 PM
I dont think Nicholas would be in as much trouble as her possible long lost child. Due to the fact Lawrence is his daddy and probably was raised like Phillip was. But who knows?
Plus the fact that Nicholas is now in his early 30's.

Ellie

dooldooldool
Sep 30 2009, 08:16 PM
MrsDimera
I dont think Nicholas would be in as much trouble as her possible long lost child. Due to the fact Lawrence is his daddy and probably was raised like Phillip was. But who knows?
LOL, I think we should just leave age completely out of this discussion. Days doesn't seem to consider it, so why should we? As others here have pointed out, Will is older than EJ, Sami is about 15 years older than Brady, and if John is Santo and Colleen's son, he's about 10 years older than Roman, whom he looked 10 years younger than in 1986. Time for me to bring out my "Sami standing next to EJ's baby carriage" screencaps? :P

angmc
Member Avatar

Ellie
Sep 30 2009, 08:27 PM
dooldooldool
Sep 30 2009, 08:16 PM
MrsDimera
LOL, I think we should just leave age completely out of this discussion. Days doesn't seem to consider it, so why should we? As others here have pointed out, Will is older than EJ, Sami is about 15 years older than Brady, and if John is Santo and Colleen's son, he's about 10 years older than Roman, whom he looked 10 years younger than in 1986. Time for me to bring out my "Sami standing next to EJ's baby carriage" screencaps? :P

:lol:

Mirage75
Member Avatar

I'm just excited that Carly is needing Justin's help lol.

Dr. Chip

In the old days, Roman and Bo would be talking about Bo's problems with Hope. And the dialogue would go something like this:

ROMAN: You and Hope will work things out. You've been together most of your lives. You've never loved anyone else but Hope.

BO: Well, there was Billie.

ROMAN: Oh, yeah. And Carly.

BO: Yep. Carly Manning. I try not to think about her. It's too painful. I'll never forget the way she just walked out on me and went off with Larry Alamain.

Then we would get the Carly scenes.

But the way they're doing it this time is just springing it on us out of the blue at the end of tomorrow's episode. The end of the show is on Prevuze's website. It's awesome . . . and Crystal Chappell looks FIERCE as she stabs her hubby in the gut after he called her a bitch!!!

Ellie

^^ Chip I see your point (and in the 'old days' that conversation would have happened for like 20 shows in a row), but the downside to how they're doing it now is that many (most?) current viewers won't realize or remember who she is. In my opinion, though the previous strategy was annoying at times, it was a more effective method to re-introduce old characters.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Dr. Chip
Oct 1 2009, 04:30 PM
In the old days, Roman and Bo would be talking about Bo's problems with Hope. And the dialogue would go something like this:

ROMAN: You and Hope will work things out. You've been together most of your lives. You've never loved anyone else but Hope.

BO: Well, there was Billie.

ROMAN: Oh, yeah. And Carly.

BO: Yep. Carly Manning. I try not to think about her. It's too painful. I'll never forget the way she just walked out on me and went off with Larry Alamain.

Then we would get the Carly scenes.

But the way they're doing it this time is just springing it on us out of the blue at the end of tomorrow's episode. The end of the show is on Prevuze's website. It's awesome . . . and Crystal Chappell looks FIERCE as she stabs her hubby in the gut after he called her a bitch!!!
I agree.

Although, I can see Ellie's point too. You like there to be buildup but most times the buildup comes off forced and ruins the inevitable surprise. One of the things I like about what they do tomorrow is that bringing Carly back like that will grip the audience right away. Even the fans who don't know her or Lawrence will want to know who they are and what is going on. I actually think the approach is smart. You have her kill Lawrence in her return scene and then wonder WTF?! Fans will care right off the bat. Then, next week things slowly unfold. New fans come to know her and her connections to Salem and that will help build investment.

I also agree about Days and their long-term planning. I've been seeing it since last November. You could tell the show started having a long-term vision and everything affects what is to come. Even the inconsistent Lucas/Chloe/Daniel/Kate stuff led to a goldmine in the Stefano and Kate union. The show had been lacking a long-term plan since the SSK story got screwed with in 2004. Tomlin and Whitesell brought long-term direction and vision back to Days and I'm glad they did because that is what the show needed more then anything else and I think that is why the show and it's numbers have responded as they have.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply