Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Weekly Discussion; 10/5 - 10/9
Topic Started: Oct 5 2009, 04:51 AM (8,938 Views)
dooldooldool

I hope that Nicole takes some photos of the red marks around her neck. It's one thing to be angry, it's another to physically threaten. Not sure what infuriates me more, the always-present misogyny on DOOL or the way the fans lap it up, sending kudos to the male actors who physically threaten and manhandle the women.

Original Recipe Nicole would have been on that one Salem cellphone to the Salem PD to haul her hubby off to jail. Ah, I miss the old Nicole......
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

daysknowitall
Member Avatar

I hope Ej has a breakdown. I think that would be reasonable in such a situation. He's got to feel like nobody likes or loves him enough to tell him the truth, not Nicole, not Sami and even his own fatha (although he doesn't know this one YET). You think he's starting to get the message. I hope so and maybe it'll push him over the edge to become totally evil! Worse than Stefano ever though about b/c in my opinion, evil EJ, this is his nitch. The promo looks a better than his previous acting which was WAY over the top. Glad he finally toned it down somewhat. As for Nicole, she was spot on. Terrific job and she's come a long way.

Kirk
Member Avatar
Captain Kirk

dooldooldool
Oct 6 2009, 12:50 AM
I hope that Nicole takes some photos of the red marks around her neck. It's one thing to be angry, it's another to physically threaten. Not sure what infuriates me more, the always-present misogyny on DOOL or the way the fans lap it up, sending kudos to the male actors who physically threaten and manhandle the women.

Original Recipe Nicole would have been on that one Salem cellphone to the Salem PD to haul her hubby off to jail. Ah, I miss the old Nicole......
If I were told my baby died and I was lied to like EJ was I would probably physically hurt that person, female or not. At least a good bitch slap. I know its just a soap, but could you imagine if that were to happen in real life?

SocRMum1
Member Avatar
Much prefers sweevil, snarky EJ over Father Figure Fucktard Eejiot.

As I've said in the past, it is ONLY Ari's great acting that is giving Nicole the least bit of sympathy because watching her stand there and continue to lie...and lie...and lie... It's just maddening. EJ's anger is extremely justified - and he speaks the truth. She didn't do all of this for him. In fact, when she first told him she was pregnant he was hardly thrilled about it - which infuriated her. It's not as if the man did not already have a child. It was Nicole's need to have a baby, and let's face it - to have the life she felt she had earned living in the mansion, etc. So to watch the big ole crocodile tears fall as she begs him to understand that she's 'sacrificed' everything for him would be almost funny if Ari weren't so damned good. Major, major kudos to her.

Sami has been so refreshing the past couple of episodes. I'm really enjoying watching her hunt for a job, determined to get her life on track and become independant in her own right. Hallelujah! She looks gorgeous, too - that light blue and gray color combination really works for her. I loved Maggie and Sami together - but then, I love Maggie anytime we see her.

I actually felt bad for Will when he talked with Mia - but I thought it was a good choice to not have him rage or be overly emotional. It worked for me. I just wish Taylor S could find some consistency. She was so good last week when Chad confronted her about the baby - and now she's back to just seeming to feel awkward. <sigh>

And as for what will ultimately happen with EJ, I think the fact that Stefano is involved indicates this story will force EJ to take a hard look at his life and face the fact that he reverted back to being the man he was trying not to be a year or so ago. Sami was exactly right about that - but he didn't want to hear it or accept it. I think rather than EJ becoming completely evil we'll see him take steps to break ties with his father and the DiMera legacy and work to become the kind of man his children and the woman he loves can be proud of. But at the same time, I think he'll be faced with doing whatever it takes to protect his family from Stefano who will not be at all happy with the new and improved Elvis.

Alligato
Member Avatar

dooldooldool - it could also go both ways...
Nicole was being emotionally and psychologically abusive to EJ. Physical isn't the only way you can abuse someone.
But that is neither here nor there in the soap world. I don't condone any abuse, but with these two characters, they both seem like they can dish it and take it.

What makes this story great is that you have two people who have a warped view of love, who are trying to love each other in the only way they know how. And they are fighting in the most awesome way.
The way EJ threw the "you went to Brady instead of me" line to which Nicole responded with the "you weren't there, you were in Europe" which was followed with "so this is my fault"....just awesome, passionate arguing recalling the past each bringing the others insecurities and hangups into the mix.

I am very pleased with the way the writers have set this whole thing up, with EJ mentioning recently that he initially married Nicole because of the baby which is why she did all of this. Almost like a justification, and by having people actually sympathize for the "bad guy" in this scenario is just kudos to the writers and to the actors.

One of the best stories in a long time...which is pretty odd since I initially hated it. Talk about some couple drama and angsty history for EJ and Nicole!
Edited by Alligato, Oct 6 2009, 09:53 AM.

lysie
Member Avatar

mer4santo
Oct 5 2009, 11:18 PM
That clip was fantastic and whose house are they in anyway? It clearly evolved into DiMansion.
LOL. They're in the DiMera mansion.

Alligato
Member Avatar

SocRMum1
Oct 6 2009, 09:51 AM
And as for what will ultimately happen with EJ, I think the fact that Stefano is involved indicates this story will force EJ to take a hard look at his life and face the fact that he reverted back to being the man he was trying not to be a year or so ago. Sami was exactly right about that - but he didn't want to hear it or accept it. I think rather than EJ becoming completely evil we'll see him take steps to break ties with his father and the DiMera legacy and work to become the kind of man his children and the woman he loves can be proud of. But at the same time, I think he'll be faced with doing whatever it takes to protect his family from Stefano who will not be at all happy with the new and improved Elvis.

This might have a sliver of merit if Kate wasn't in the mix. I think she is the last person EJ wants running the Dimera enterprise, so he might stick around to protect the legacy/money from her. Also, I have yet to see EJ be pissed at his dear old daddy for very long, and the fact that he knows Stefano would do anything for his children, including keeping a child from a woman who denied his son his OWN child (until after she died of course), would lead me to believe it won't be a long break from Stefano...especially with his fragile health.

It's all up to the writers though who are doing a really excellent job showcasing the talents of the actors. I actually might have a little faith that this will turn out pretty good!

Edited by Alligato, Oct 6 2009, 10:06 AM.

daysknowitall
Member Avatar

SocRMum1
As I've said in the past, it is ONLY Ari's great acting that is giving Nicole the least bit of sympathy because watching her stand there and continue to lie...and lie...and lie... It's just maddening. EJ's anger is extremely justified - and he speaks the truth. She didn't do all of this for him. In fact, when she first told him she was pregnant he was hardly thrilled about it - which infuriated her. It's not as if the man did not already have a child. It was Nicole's need to have a baby, and let's face it - to have the life she felt she had earned living in the mansion, etc. So to watch the big ole crocodile tears fall as she begs him to understand that she's 'sacrificed' everything for him would be almost funny if Ari weren't so damned good. Major, major kudos to her.

Sami has been so refreshing the past couple of episodes. I'm really enjoying watching her hunt for a job, determined to get her life on track and become independant in her own right. Hallelujah! She looks gorgeous, too - that light blue and gray color combination really works for her. I loved Maggie and Sami together - but then, I love Maggie anytime we see her.

I actually felt bad for Will when he talked with Mia - but I thought it was a good choice to not have him rage or be overly emotional. It worked for me. I just wish Taylor S could find some consistency. She was so good last week when Chad confronted her about the baby - and now she's back to just seeming to feel awkward. <sigh>

I would have said the last part of your statement might be true except Days has already told that story. As you pointed out about a year ago they did that exact story where Ej turns over a new leaf and leaves fatha behind and although it's not past Days to repeat a storyline I would hope they wouldn't do it so close together. I know some like the sweet Ej but I really prefer the evil one. I just feel that's where he excels. I just didn't get into the heroic Ej of last year or whenever that was.

SoapGal1
Member Avatar

I tend to think that once EJ finds out Stefano played a part in all of this, he will be so hurt he will make a break from Stefano. Now, whether or not he turns dark and seeks revenge on all who've wronged him or he determines to be there for his children remains to be seen. I want to believe the latter because if nothing else, EJ loves his children and IMO he loves Sami. I do think he loves Nicole in some way, but it's not rooted in true love, it's kind of warped, his love for Samantha has been unconditional (up until current events). I guess we'll all wait and see how it plays out.

As far as the physicality of the scenes, they don't really bother me. This is a soap and everything in a soap is exaggerated. I certainly don't equate this with "real life" so when the characters go over the top it doesn't bother me to much. That's just me though. I absolutely wouldn't condone MOST of the behavior on soaps in real life situations.

magicsteacher
Member Avatar

SocRMum1

I so agree with you about Sami. She looks fabulous-- finally some clothes that make her look sophisticated. I,too, am glad t to see she is looking for a job and wants to be independent and be a role model for her kids. I personally love the way they have changed Sami's character. This version is much more refreshing to me.

Tammy
Member Avatar

Okay so I just watched Mondays episode. , not sure why really lmao. But I need some info.

So am I to understand that Lawrence has held Carly hostage all this time that she has been "dead"?

Also I can't remember how this went. Nicole got Mia's baby, then switched it for Sami's baby right? So the baby that died was Mia's ? :shrug:

Kenny
Member Avatar

♥ Tammy ♥
Oct 6 2009, 11:37 AM
So am I to understand that Lawrence has held Carly hostage all this time that she has been "dead"?
Carly was never "dead." She and Lawrence left Salem together years ago.

Tammy
Member Avatar

Kenny
Oct 6 2009, 11:42 AM
♥ Tammy ♥
Oct 6 2009, 11:37 AM
Carly was never "dead." She and Lawrence left Salem together years ago.
Ohhh I thought she was presumed dead lmao. I didn't watch back then lmao ;)

Well I can give her this she stabbed his ass good :D

Days4Life

Alligato
Oct 6 2009, 09:52 AM
dooldooldool - it could also go both ways...
Nicole was being emotionally and psychologically abusive to EJ. Physical isn't the only way you can abuse someone.
But that is neither here nor there in the soap world. I don't condone any abuse, but with these two characters, they both seem like they can dish it and take it.

What makes this story great is that you have two people who have a warped view of love, who are trying to love each other in the only way they know how. And they are fighting in the most awesome way.
The way EJ threw the "you went to Brady instead of me" line to which Nicole responded with the "you weren't there, you were in Europe" which was followed with "so this is my fault"....just awesome, passionate arguing recalling the past each bringing the others insecurities and hangups into the mix.

I am very pleased with the way the writers have set this whole thing up, with EJ mentioning recently that he initially married Nicole because of the baby which is why she did all of this. Almost like a justification, and by having people actually sympathize for the "bad guy" in this scenario is just kudos to the writers and to the actors.

One of the best stories in a long time...which is pretty odd since I initially hated it. Talk about some couple drama and angsty history for EJ and Nicole!
ITA with everything you said. Abuse of any kind is wrong, but these are flawed, imperfect characters who have never followed the rules. EJ has never hurt Nicole physically, he's always able to pull himself back, and I think Nicole is well able to stand up for herself. She has emotionally abused him and while not physically harming him, has done a lot of damage to his heart and soul. I wouldn't say either has conducted themselves admirably but as a dramatic story, it's working!

Like Alligato said, when I heard about this double pregnancy/baby switch storyline, I hated it. Now it's one of my favorites, which just goes to show you can't truly judge a story by spoilers or previews but have to wait and see it play out. Although it's dragged a bit at times, overall it's been dramatic and emotional and entertaining and the actors, especially AZ, have done a terrific job.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Didn't Carly have partial amnesia when she left town with Lawrence? For some reason, I seem to remember that Carly couldn't remember her feelings for Bo and could only remember that she loved Lawrence (in her head, it was many years prior) and Lawrence seduced and wooed her based on that and they left town together.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Matt
Oct 6 2009, 12:48 PM
Didn't Carly have partial amnesia when she left town with Lawrence? For some reason, I seem to remember that Carly couldn't remember her feelings for Bo and could only remember that she loved Lawrence (in her head, it was many years prior) and Lawrence seduced and wooed her based on that and they left town together.
She recalled her love for Bo prior to leaving Salem. I'm vague on the details myself because it was eons ago but the way I recall it was that Nicky was kept away from her because she didn't remember him. Lawrence was taking her out of Salem and Nicky ended up at the airport and it jogged her memory and she remembered everything. That was when she realized she had to make a choice and told Lawrence that if she chose him she would be sure to make it before he left Salem with Nicky.

She then ran off to talk to Jennifer and then to Bo about what to do. It was all so hard to swallow because Jennifer basically acted like Lawrence was a guy worth choosing and given all he did to her...ugh. Then we had the Bo/Carly farewell scenes which were even more hard to swallow. They both behaved like what they had was just a fling. Of course, CC gave it more depth by making it out to be like Carly was putting up a front and that she loved Bo more but was doing this for Nicky. It also didn't help that there was clear tension between RKK and CC in their scenes as time went on, including their final one.

Mason
Member Avatar

Zucker and Scott were fantastic yesterday! In fact, I would even say it was some of their best work I've ever seen. I loved that Nicole stood up to E.J. and didn't just cower.

I really enjoyed the scenes at Chez Rouge with Maggie, Stefano, Kate and Sami (who I actually didn't mind for the first time in forever). I liked that Sami wanted to earn a job and not just get one handed to her out of sympathy.

I wish we could have seen more of Carly, but it's probably smart to re-introduce her slowly, for those that aren't as familiar with her character.

Minus Daniel/Chloe and Will/Mia/Chad, it was a really great episode. Probably the best episode I've seen since the hospital lockdown last August.

Kenny
Member Avatar

Is it just me or do they keep cutting away from scenes too quickly? When it fades to commercial, it seems so ill-timed and abrupt. We're not getting many of those dramatic "raised eyebrow/soapy reaction" shots before the fade out. The characters will just be talking and all of a sudden it cuts to a Dove commercial, LoL. I don't like it.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Kenny
Oct 6 2009, 01:13 PM
Is it just me or do they keep cutting away from scenes too quickly? When it fades to commercial, it seems so ill-timed and abrupt. We're not getting many of those dramatic "raised eyebrow/soapy reaction" shots before the fade out. The characters will just be talking and all of a sudden it cuts to a Dove commercial, LoL. I don't like it.
It's something that ABC, particularly OLTL, started years ago. I actually think Tomlin started it at OLTL during his tenure.

Sometimes it works and sometimes it's just not necessary, especially since usually you get that big "bang" in the music before the quick cut. Sometimes it will jolt you right out of the scene and it's way to jarring, especially in scenes that don't require that kind of thing.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Kenny
Oct 6 2009, 01:13 PM
Gawd. Soaps have done this for years (Days especiall). Each scene is roughtly 3-5 lines with the first two lines repeating the last two lines of the previous scene the characters were involved in.

John: Mary, are you trying to tell me that Jane is really little Suzi's mother?

Mary: Yes, John, I am. Jane had your baby and then gave it to me to raise.

John: But... but why?

Jane: (Enters) What... what's going on here? (Hold on Jane's confusion as we cut to...)

And then we come back to the scene.

Jane: I asked you what's going on here. Aren't you going to answer me? John? Mary?

John: Mary just told me that you're Suzi's real mother, Jane. Is it true?

Jane: What? Mary, how could you?!

Mary: Jane, you have to believe me. I didn't have a choice. I had to tell the truth.

John: Is it the truth? Jane?

Jane: I... I... (hold on Jane's panicked expression as we cut to...)

Wash, rinse, repeat.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply