Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Weekly Discussion; 10/5 - 10/9
Topic Started: Oct 5 2009, 04:51 AM (8,873 Views)
Ellie

PhoenixRising05
Oct 6 2009, 01:19 PM
Kenny
Oct 6 2009, 01:13 PM
Is it just me or do they keep cutting away from scenes too quickly? When it fades to commercial, it seems so ill-timed and abrupt. We're not getting many of those dramatic "raised eyebrow/soapy reaction" shots before the fade out. The characters will just be talking and all of a sudden it cuts to a Dove commercial, LoL. I don't like it.
It's something that ABC, particularly OLTL, started years ago. I actually think Tomlin started it at OLTL during his tenure.

Sometimes it works and sometimes it's just not necessary, especially since usually you get that big "bang" in the music before the quick cut. Sometimes it will jolt you right out of the scene and it's way to jarring, especially in scenes that don't require that kind of thing.
I think it's an editing/timing issue. When they're short on time, it's a way to shave a few seconds off a scene. Of course there are other ways to play with the timing without doing that, which might be where Tomlin's 'style' comes in. I agree Kenny, I personally like the lingering at the end of scenes... it's one of those trademarks of soaps that most viewers expect, which is why it can be so jarring if the scene ends too quickly.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Ellie

Matt
Oct 6 2009, 01:24 PM
Kenny
Oct 6 2009, 01:13 PM
Is it just me or do they keep cutting away from scenes too quickly? When it fades to commercial, it seems so ill-timed and abrupt. We're not getting many of those dramatic "raised eyebrow/soapy reaction" shots before the fade out. The characters will just be talking and all of a sudden it cuts to a Dove commercial, LoL. I don't like it.
Gawd. Soaps have done this for years (Days especiall). Each scene is roughtly 3-5 lines with the first two lines repeating the last two lines of the previous scene the characters were involved in.
Right, but I think Kenny's talking about something else. Soaps do repeat lines, as you're saying (which is particularly obvious if you watch certain characters' scenes in sequence), but I think Kenny's referring to the lingering glances at the end of scenes, which were still there even when the next scene repeated dialogue from the previous one.

Kenny
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
It's something that ABC, particularly OLTL, started years ago. I actually think Tomlin started it at OLTL during his tenure.

Sometimes it works and sometimes it's just not necessary, especially since usually you get that big "bang" in the music before the quick cut. Sometimes it will jolt you right out of the scene and it's way to jarring, especially in scenes that don't require that kind of thing.
It works when the scene actually ends on a dramatic moment, but on Days, it's so random. Character A will be talking to character B about absolutely nothing important, and all of a sudden it fades away as if something big happened, only nothing big happened at all, LoL. It's confusing!

Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

Monday's show was really good!! I am loving this baby switch storyline; both Ari and James were great. I can't wait to see how the rest plays out.

I am not liking Hope lately either. She is being ridiculous and I hate her attitude.

Kenny
Member Avatar

Ellie
Oct 6 2009, 01:28 PM
I think Kenny's talking about something else. Soaps do repeat lines, as you're saying (which is particularly obvious if you watch certain characters' scenes in sequence), but I think Kenny's referring to the lingering glances at the end of scenes, which were still there even when the next scene repeated dialogue from the previous one.
Right.

Back in the day, character A would say something shocking to character B and then we would have 5 - 6 seconds of dramatic reaction shots before it finally faded out. Nowadays, it just fades away at the most random times with no reaction shots at all. It's so un-soapy, LoL.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

This is not something Tomlin brought to DAYS. DAYS has done this dating back to the Salem Serial Killer days.

Kenny
Member Avatar

DrewHamilton
Oct 6 2009, 01:44 PM
This is not something Tomlin brought to DAYS. DAYS has done this dating back to the Salem Serial Killer days.
Yeah, but I'm not talking about the quick cuts to commercial. From what I've seen, it still fades out. I'm talking about the lack of reaction shots. The pre-commercial dramatic soap stare is missing, and so are many of the pre-commercial mini-cliffhangers.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Kenny
Oct 6 2009, 01:42 PM
PhoenixRising05

It works when the scene actually ends on a dramatic moment, but on Days, it's so random. Character A will be talking to character B about absolutely nothing important, and all of a sudden it fades away as if something big happened, only nothing big happened at all, LoL. It's confusing!
Exactly! I don't mind it when something is revealed or there is a big action or dramatic scene going on. For instance, on Friday when Nicole opened the box and saw the pregnancy padding. That was a shocking moment and it worked for that scene. It also worked right after Carly stabbed Lawrence too.

It doesn't work when Carly is flying on a plane and has just had a flashback or after Nicole tells EJ that she did what she did for him LOL. OLTL is just as bad. They do it for like every commercial break. You get used to it after awhile but it's still annoying.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

DAYS and OLTL are the only shows that I've seen do this. The other soaps at least have somewhat of a long fade out. It is certainly annoying.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

DrewHamilton
Oct 6 2009, 01:44 PM
I wonder if we are all talking about the same things LOL. I'm talking about the same thing OLTL does before commercial, which is you get that swelling of the background music and then a big "bang" and quick cut right to commercial. I don't remember Days ever doing that before Tomlin, at least not as much as they are. As I said, I don't mind it when it's necessary but they are overusing it at times, just like OLTL.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

DrewHamilton
Oct 6 2009, 01:49 PM
DAYS and OLTL are the only shows that I've seen do this. The other soaps at least have somewhat of a long fade out. It is certainly annoying.
Ok...we are talking about the same things so disregard my last post LOL.

Your right. It is very annoying. It's almost like trying to force the fact that something is big and dramatic. Sometimes it works but most times when it's used you just want to check to make sure you don't have whiplash LOL.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Oct 6 2009, 01:50 PM
I wonder if we are all talking about the same things LOL. I'm talking about the same thing OLTL does before commercial, which is you get that swelling of the background music and then a big "bang" and quick cut right to commercial. I don't remember Days ever doing that before Tomlin, at least not as much as they are. As I said, I don't mind it when it's necessary but they are overusing it at times, just like OLTL.
Yeah, that's what I'm talking about too. I used to only see this used on OLTL back in 2003 during the Music Box Killer storyline. At the end of every segment, right before the commercial, the scene would just go black. There would no fade out like most of the other soaps do. Shortly after I noticed OLTL doing this, I started noticing DAYS doing it during the serial killer storyline. Something would happen and it would automatically shoot to a black screen and then the commercial. And DAYS has been doing it since that storyline. They don't do it as much as OLTL, which usually does it for every commercial break, but they definitely use this technique a lot and not just since Tomlin came over.

Southofsoap
Member Avatar

On monday's episode, who was the guy that Phillip walked into Chez Rouge with?

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Carly's return has got to be the worst I've ever seen.

Mason
Member Avatar

DrewHamilton
Oct 6 2009, 02:12 PM
LoL, she's only been back for a few episodes!

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Mason
Oct 6 2009, 02:16 PM
DrewHamilton
That's why I said her return and not her return storyline.

Mason
Member Avatar

DrewHamilton
Oct 6 2009, 02:19 PM
Mason
Oct 6 2009, 02:16 PM
DrewHamilton
That's why I said her return and not her return storyline.
Oh, well, excuse me. Next time I'll try harder to infer that fine distinction, LoL.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Mason
Oct 6 2009, 02:21 PM
Oh, well, excuse me. Next time I'll try harder to infer that fine distinction, LoL.
It's pretty easy to mix up the two. Unlike some people on the board, I'm not going to automatically bash the storyline because, like you said, Carly's been back for three episodes. The story is still beginning. However, her return has sucked so far.

Mason
Member Avatar

I actually haven't noticed anyone bashing the story. It seems fairly well received here, so far.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Mason
Oct 6 2009, 02:48 PM
I actually haven't noticed anyone bashing the story. It seems fairly well received here, so far.
I wasn't talking about just this storyline. I'm talking about storylines, in general. So many storylines have been ripped to shreds in the beginning, and I don't want to do that here. This could turn out to be a really good storyline down the road, but Carly's actual return is always going to remembered as a horrible one.
Edited by DrewHamilton, Oct 6 2009, 02:50 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply