Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Liar, Liar: Ari Zucker interview
Topic Started: Oct 7 2009, 04:42 PM (2,256 Views)
Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

Liar, Liar

Over the years, Nicole has built up quite a resume of flamboyant deception and criminal activity. Anyone remember how she convinced Chloe to let Brady believe she was dead? Or how she tried to kill her then-husband Victor (and, for awhile at least, we all thought she succeeded)? Nicole's latest scheme all started with a tragic miscarriage; afterwards, she determined to keep it a secret from the father, EJ, and to substitute another baby. Ultimately, she illegally adopted one baby (from Mia), then switched it with Sami's baby, born the same night. Thus far, only one part of her scheme has unraveled. EJ knows she adopted Sydney; what he doesn't yet know may ultimately be Nicole's complete undoing.

Like all of us who have told a tall tale, for Nicole, "there's almost a sense of relief because I wanted to tell him, but I didn't tell him, because I didn't think he would be on my side. Now it's already out, so I may as well back peddle in a way and try and make it work." Arianne continued, saying that Nicole is "constantly living in guilt and fear," but, now that the truth is out, she's got to find a way to keep her little family together. I actually have the confidence that EJ will just have a temper tantrum and then get over it and he'll be fine and he loves me." Good luck with that, Nicole!

Nicole's belief in this matter, of course, stems from that fact that if she didn't "think that way, then she would be so emotionally distraught, she wouldn't be able to survive. She's a survivor, you know? So this is just the next step to survive. Now what do I do? And it's kind of a cool quality kind of weird but kind of a cool quality for this character because she constantly has to fight for survival and that's the only way she knows."

Her survival skills mean she's always (or almost always) able to quickly spin a new tale to cover up the first. When EJ presented her with the pregnancy pad, she had to think on her feet. The result? According to Nicole "women buy them so you can have maternity clothes for the nine months. She's so smart well, the writers are so smart to come up with that. In a way, she's crazy, but she's really got an intelligence to her because she has to make sure people believe her. For a brief second, it was complete panic! And then, survival skills! Survival skills kick in! Come on; everyone does it! I don't know what you're so upset about."

The next truth Nicole had to deal with was the tape recording one of EJ's minions made of her conversation with Brady. In it, she admitted to having had a miscarriage. But what she told EJ was, according to Arianne, "great. I love how she comes up with this." It was "obviously an emotional scene, but I say I wasn't talking about me, this year. I did have a miscarriage, but not this baby. But, yeah, it was sheer panic. How am I going to get out of this? But how long can you keep lying?"

There are two things, however, that make Nicole's predicament somewhat easier to identify with. First, "none of this was a very well-thought-out plan on her part. It was a day-to-day plan, but it wasn't a master plan about how she was going to get away with this. Which is why I think people feel sympathetic towards her because it wasn't so methodical. It wasn't first-degree murder!"

Second, this does all stem from Nicole's tragic miscarriage, and there are plenty of other women out there who "have post-miscarriage issues and post-partum issues." Arianne continued, "I think stories like this have always been around. You hear about hospitals that have accidentally switched babies at birth or the couple that just had the wrong embryo implanted and they carried this child that's not theirs and they thought was theirs. There are crazier stories, I think, than the one that I'm involved in. Now it's so much easier to relate to this character because it could possibly have happened."

And everyone has, at one time or another, felt compelled to not tell the complete truth. "I think deep inside people who might in real life not be in a similar situation but situations where they may lie or find they have to lie," Arianne said, "somewhere in there you know you're going to get caught, but you do it anyway. Even as a kid. Kids learn how to lie, and you know you're going to get caught but you do it anyway." Someone else in Salem who knows a thing or two about lying is Sami. Perhaps that's why she and Nicole have formed an unlikely friendship?

As Arianne put it, "when Sami finds out, she's actually kind of supportive. She was doing something similar. If Grace had not died, Sami would be doing the same kind of thing. She wanted to protect her child from the DiMeras." What Sami did wasn't really any better than what Nicole did. Nicole's was perhaps a bit darker, as she did switch the babies, but, Arianne continued, "for Sami, she knows what she did. She's at an age where she gets it. She, I think, respects Nicole because they live in the same world of deceit. I think there's a mutual respect, even though it's so scary to trust each other, but yet we want to, but we know that we're sort of mortal enemies at the same time."

Something tells us they'll eventually be mortal enemies again. Like, say, when the rest of the story comes out. In the meantime, Nicole will continue to try to keep her hands on Sydney, and EJ. "She's so in love with this child now," Arianne told us. "She's probably the best thing that's ever happened to her. I think she still takes very, very good care of this child. I'm sure the baby has to sense the nervousness coming from her mother. At the end of the day, well, it's about Nicole's selfishness, but, deep down, she never came from a solid family. She has this idea of the perfect family, but I don't think she knows what one really is. That's what she's trying to create. If she just told the truth and trusted peopled they would support her and she would have a better life. She can't seem to grasp that concept."

http://www.daysofourlives.com/news_events/detail_4055.html
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

SocRMum1
Member Avatar
Much prefers sweevil, snarky EJ over Father Figure Fucktard Eejiot.

Quote:

As Arianne put it, "when Sami finds out, she's actually kind of supportive. She was doing something similar. If Grace had not died, Sami would be doing the same kind of thing. She wanted to protect her child from the DiMeras." What Sami did wasn't really any better than what Nicole did. Nicole's was perhaps a bit darker, as she did switch the babies, but, Arianne continued, "for Sami, she knows what she did. She's at an age where she gets it. She, I think, respects Nicole because they live in the same world of deceit. I think there's a mutual respect, even though it's so scary to trust each other, but yet we want to, but we know that we're sort of mortal enemies at the same time."

Holy shit! Seriously, Ari? Really?? Only a BIT darker - switching the babies, kidnapping Sami's, watching Sami and EJ grieve over Grace thinking she was their daughter? That's just a BIT darker? :shame:

Love Ari - but even she can't sell that shit.

The rest of the interview was great, though.

Thanks for posting, Angie! :)

ilovemydays

I would say that Ari is doing an excellent job of selling this storyline with her outstanding performances. Her interview is an honest account of her understanding of Nicole's motives and the situation her character is in.

I understand that this story is not to everyone's taste but every story can't be a "Sophie's Choice".

Thank you Angie, I thought it was a fantastic interview.
Edited by ilovemydays, Oct 7 2009, 05:47 PM.

Ana75
Member Avatar

Thanks for posting but I still have no sympathy at all for Nicole.

Red Mist
Member Avatar

Ummm...trust people to support her on baby napping? LOL This was a goofy interview. It always cracks me up when actors try to explain characters that make no sense, because the characters are CRAZY. Nicole is a nutcase nuff said.

Liz<3Days
Member Avatar

I <3 Ari!

She's the one that's been keeping me glued to DAYS this week as well as this year! I so agree that Nicole is a survivor through and through!

She can sell me anything she damn wants...and I will buy it because her performance of Nicole ROCKS!!!
:rockon:

Thanks for posting!

luvpumpkns
Member Avatar

i agree with all her assessments of the character. obviously people that dislike nicole are going to feel differently, but i really don't see much difference between her and sami at the end of the day. their motivations were different from lying about their babies, perhaps, but one is not better than the other.

Edited by luvpumpkns, Oct 7 2009, 07:04 PM.

SocRMum1
Member Avatar

luvpumpkns
Oct 7 2009, 07:04 PM
i agree with all her assessments of the character. obviously people that dislike nicole are going to feel differently, but i really don't see much difference between her and sami at the end of the day. their motivations were different from lying about their babies, perhaps, but one is not better than the other.

I would agree with that if Nicole had only faked the rest of her pregnancy and 'adopted' Mia's baby to pass off as her own. At that point, what she and Sami did wasn't a whole lot different - they both deceived their baby's father (EJ) and at least in the case with Nicole, she has the excuse of post miscarriage depression and could even say she did it from a place of love. (Although one could also agree with EJ's initial assessment - that she did it to hold on to the money and the power, etc.) But I'll go with that being similar.

But that is completely thrown out the window the minute she threw baby Grace aside to steal Sami's daughter, then proceeded to say nothing and allowed EJ to grieve as he has done for Grace. She could have saved him from that. And now...she continues to dig further down by allowing EJ to believe that Sydney isn't his biological daughter - and if the recent spoilers are any indication she's willing to carry that lie to no end in sight.

Sami was completely wrong in keeping the truth about their daughter from EJ. And attempting to allow her latest flavor of the month to illegally adopt and raise her was downright criminal. But no way in hell does that begin to measure up to what Nicole has done and is continuing to do. No matter how fantastic Ari plays it - and she does - there's just no way that what Nicole has done is just a 'bit' darker.

samixxx
Member Avatar

It didn't seem to me that Ari said that what Sami did wasn't any better than what Nicole did. I took that as the interviewer saying that. Could be wrong *shrugs*

Anyway, thanks for the interview.
Edited by samixxx, Oct 7 2009, 07:24 PM.

AngelOB
Member Avatar
Life is awesome

LMAO!!! I love it when actors try to 'Sell the Crazy'!!!

Entertaining, I'll give her that.

SocRMum1
Member Avatar

samixxx
Oct 7 2009, 07:24 PM

It didn't seem to me that Ari said that what Sami did wasn't any better than what Nicole did. I took that as the interviewer saying that. Could be wrong *shrugs*

Anyway, thanks for the interview.
I see your point - you are thinking since the 'bit darker' part wasn't in quotations that Ari didn't say it, the interviewer interjected it? That could be the case.

Like I said, the rest of the interview was great. My only point was that there is a huge difference when you look at the whole picture between what the characters of Nicole and Sami did.

luvpumpkns
Member Avatar

i don't see the difference. nicole took ej's child and tried to pass it off as hers. sami took ej's child and tried to pass it off as adopted, with rafe as the father. so in both cases, one of the rightful parents had their custodial rights yanked from them.

the only difference in their crime is motivation. i happen to feel sorrier for nicole because i can more easily pity a person that commits a crime out of love rather than pure hatred. i think nicole loved ej and was fearful of losing him, which led her to do what she did. i also think she believed what sami was doing to him was grossly unfair, and i think part of her attempted to put that right by reuniting him with the child sami intended that he never know about. sami, on the other hand, hated ej for daring to move on with nicole, and decided to punish him by not only lying about his kid, but finding a a total stranger to play daddy to her. then she had the nerve to act the way she did during the grace reveal--smirking and gloating and generally acting like a horrific bitch.

so while the crimes are essentially the same, i can more easily pity nicole, even though she may be darker. but i also disagree with that statement. nicole and sami are essentially the same animal--they're out to make themselves happy even if that costs others their happiness--and it oftentimes does.

Edited by luvpumpkns, Oct 7 2009, 09:12 PM.

Alligato
Member Avatar

I love how AZ summed it up. I bought it. I love it!

I have alway said that what Nicole and Sami did were very similar. Nicole did it out of her warped love for EJ, Sami did it out of her warped hate for EJ/Dimeras. But both were dark, devious, sinister and totally selfish.
You can pick it apart all you want but it who is worse is subjective. Both are pretty awful.

But yes, I am sold on this whole story so far, and I love how AZ tries to rationalize it all. Some people are dark and can relate, and the fact that Nicole is doing this nasty stuff to EJ, who historically is pretty nasty makes it all the better. They both can dish it out and take it. Equally nasty is what makes them such a perfect couple.
They are both capable of anything and they both know it about each other.

eta - luv, I just read your post and I think you hit it on why I find myself sympathizing with Nicole. In her warped mind, she did it out of love and its easy to sympathize with someone who just wants someone to love them.
Edited by Alligato, Oct 7 2009, 09:19 PM.

SocRMum1
Member Avatar

luvpumpkns
Oct 7 2009, 09:09 PM
i don't see the difference. nicole took ej's child and tried to pass it off as hers. sami took ej's child and tried to pass it off as adopted, with rafe as the father. so in both cases, one of the rightful parents had their custodial rights yanked from them.

the only difference in their crime is motivation. i happen to feel sorrier for nicole because i can more easily pity a person that commits a crime out of love rather than pure hatred. i think nicole loved ej and was fearful of losing him, which led her to do what she did. i also think she believed what sami was doing to him was grossly unfair, and i think part of her attempted to put that right by reuniting him with the child sami intended that he never know about. sami, on the other hand, hated ej for daring to move on with nicole, and decided to punish him by not only lying about his kid, but finding a a total stranger to play daddy to her. then she had the nerve to act the way she did during the grace reveal--smirking and gloating and generally acting like a horrific bitch.

so while the crimes are essentially the same, i can more easily pity nicole, even though she may be darker. but i also disagree with that statement. nicole and sami are essentially the same animal--they're out to make themselves happy even if that costs others their happiness--and it oftentimes does.

And I'm with you right up to the point of how they both affected EJ initially . I do happen to think that Nicole switching the babies was beyond cruel - to Mia, to Sami, to Grace - her indifference to her promise to Mia was disturbing, particularly if you use the argument that she thought Sami 'didn't want' to have EJ's baby. If that were the case, how can you argue that she meant no harm to Grace when she pawned her off knowing Sami would still think she had EJ's baby? Nicole's crime affected far more lives than Sami's - both directly and indirectly. And it continues to do so.

Add to that what is coming up. Nicole's motivation of it coming from love comes in to question if she is now willing to allow EJ to grieve over the loss of yet another daughter that he DID bond with (unlike Grace) - when she knows full well she could spare him that if she'd only tell the full truth. Instead, she's going to continue down this path and allow Chad to become a factor. I don't know that it will come down to a custody suit but the fact that it's even a possibility clearly indicates she's not putting even Sydney's best interests at heart.

Liz<3Days
Member Avatar

EJ and Nicole are both fundamentally fucked up...thats why theyre so good together! Its like they cant believe the other when they both would do ANYTHING to get their way. They hold each other to some distorted view of what love is....then they never can attain it because they cheated along the way!

Sami used to be this way, but I think they have matured her. Maybe its because of Rafe, maybe its because of AS? Who knows.

This time Nicole got the best of EJ because the fool fell in love!

luvpumpkins and Alligato...great posts!
Edited by Liz<3Days, Oct 8 2009, 09:49 PM.

Livie

I find what the character of Nicole has done, and her justifying of it to be very similar to the mindset of the monster who kidnapped Jaycee Dugard and kept her. Finally in his mind, it became not about his selfishness and mental illness, but about his desire to keep his little family intact.

Nicole may not be a physical rapist, but she is a mind raper. Her wanting Sydney seems to be like some kind of payback for her bad childhood, for that she does not need a baby, she needs a therapist.

Ari is doing a good job of showing the sociopath that Nicole is turning into, no lie is too slow to her lips, but the slobber is starting to pool in the corners of her mouth now, and soon will be dribbling onto that really ugly outfit.
Edited by Livie, Oct 7 2009, 09:56 PM.

AngelOB
Member Avatar
Life is awesome

For me, nicole's actions became indefensible the moment she realized Grace was dying in the hospital and didn't tell Mia that she was her baby as she was cradling her. You want cold and despicable? That's it right there. Nicole's 'sense of love' will sure be causing a lot of people a lot of anguish. Can't wait to watch her burn, that's what soaps are all about!

ges
Member Avatar

SocRMum1
Oct 7 2009, 04:53 PM
Quote:

Holy shit! Seriously, Ari? Really?? Only a BIT darker - switching the babies, kidnapping Sami's, watching Sami and EJ grieve over Grace thinking she was their daughter? That's just a BIT darker? :shame:

Love Ari - but even she can't sell that shit.

The rest of the interview was great, though.

Thanks for posting, Angie! :)
I don't know what planet this actress is living on, but there are stories in the paper all the time about some demented woman stealing a baby from a mother. There is no excuse for that. Ever.
Alot of women have miscarriages. Not too many steal or buy a baby and lie to the world about it. And the ones that do are spending a very long time in prison.

Nicole Walker

I love this article and ICAM. Everything she said about Nicole is exactly how I feel. Great job Ari and it shows in your acting that you completely get the character.

aimees76
Member Avatar

I adore Ari, and I totally buy it all. I'll save myself a lot of time and just say I completely agree with luv's and alligato's posts.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply