Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOW: Philip finds out about Nathan and Melanie!; October 27th issue; Article Summary
Topic Started: Oct 14 2009, 11:23 PM (3,542 Views)
Ellie

Please link to DR.

This week's SOW features an interview with Molly Burnett.

Burnett explains that Melanie and Nathan are keeping their romance a secret, because Maggie does not approve of it, and because the hospital does not allow employees to date coworkers. Maggie lectures Melanie and Nathan when they arrive home one day. Burnett says, "Maggie tells them she doesn't want any funny business in the house because of Mia." Melanie and Nathan tell Maggie that there is nothing between them. "They're still denying it to themselves a little bit," says Burnett.

Maggie leaves, and Melanie and Nathan go out on a date. They're having a good time, when Philip comes in looking for Melanie and sees that she's on a date with Nathan. Philip and Nathan begin fighting.

SOW asks Burnett whether Melanie likes being in the middle. Burnett says that Melanie liked it at first, "but then, she's banging her head against the wall. She's like, 'All I wanted was Philip, but he would never choose me. Then I found Nathan, and now Philip wants me.'"

Melanie and Nathan go home, and they begin to kiss. "Maggie walks in on them and is super-upset," says Burnett. Maggie yells at them and tells Melanie to leave the house. Nathan offers to leave, because he says that he's Maggie's family and she'll always love him no matter what.

Burnett says that Melanie "is super into Nathan", but "he doesn't have that spark that Philip does."

Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mason
Member Avatar

I like the Nathan/Melanie pairing. I wish they would keep Philip/Stephanie the hell away from them.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

They need to get Phillip away from Melanie and Stephanie. Phillip fighting for a teenager is ridiculous!

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

I still don't buy any feelings the show's trying to make me believe Philip has for Melanie. The very thought is laughable.

And since when are hospital employees at this hospital not allowed to date each other?!

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

Just as long as Melanie and Nathan are the end couple, I'm fine with Phillip and Stephanie trying to derail their happiness.

SocRMum1
Member Avatar
Much prefers sweevil, snarky EJ over Father Figure Fucktard Eejiot.

Mason
Oct 14 2009, 11:24 PM
I like the Nathan/Melanie pairing. I wish they would keep Philip/Stephanie the hell away from them.
Exactly. WTF does 30 something year old Philip care about Nathan and Melanie. It's ridiculous.

But I do enjoy Nelanie. :)

Halloween Family
Member Avatar

I thought Maggie practically gave them permission to fool around in the house the other week.

At least we know how MB is suppose to play Melanie's feelings " he[nate] doesnt have that spark that philip does."
Thanks for posting.

Ellie

DrewHamilton
Oct 14 2009, 11:26 PM
And since when are hospital employees at this hospital not allowed to date each other?!
I was wondering the exact same thing. So many hospital employees have dated over the years on Days...

Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Nicole Walker

I honestly prefer Phillip and Melanie if they give them a chance but I also like Nathan and Melanie.

Kenny
Member Avatar

Wow, this sounds incredibly boring. Can't we just cut these four characters altogether? Philip, Melanie, Nathan and Stephanie all bore the hell out of me. None of them have any chemistry with each other and I'm still trying trying to figure out where the hell Melanie and Nathan came from in the first place.

Thanks for posting, Ellie!

speechless
Member Avatar

I am torn I like Mel and Nathan and Mel with Philip even though they are both too old for her!

Mason
Member Avatar

speechless
Oct 14 2009, 11:37 PM
I am torn I like Mel and Nathan and Mel with Philip even though they are both too old for her!
I don't think Nathan is too old for her. I'm guessing he's in his mid-20s. That's only about 5-6 years older than her. It's common for girls to date guys that are about that many years older than them. Philip, on the other hand, is definitely too old for Melanie.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Kevc1980
Oct 14 2009, 11:27 PM
Just as long as Melanie and Nathan are the end couple, I'm fine with Phillip and Stephanie trying to derail their happiness.
I agree. I have no issue with it. This all sounds good.

I do wish the show would just SORAS Melanie t0 21. They haven't mentioned her age since February. I don't see the issue with the age difference. Unless Melanie is under 18, I don't get the big deal. How many soap couples and supercouples have had a age difference between them (Bo and Hope being one of them)? Now, it's some sort of taboo, at least around these boards.

If you don't like Philip and Melanie, that is fine. It should be all about the story and the chemistry IMO. It should not be about age difference IMO unless your breaking the law. This has been done on soaps for years and acting like it's some line that should not be crossed and trying to pigeon-hole characters into only being paired with characters in their own age bracket is too restrictive and leads to an isolated canvas...which is not good IMO.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Ellie
DrewHamilton
Oct 14 2009, 11:26 PM
I was wondering the exact same thing. So many hospital employees have dated over the years on Days...

I do remember the issue being brought up during the Mike/Carrie/Alli story. I don't think there was a rule against it but it was frowned upon and not encouraged from what I remember. Maybe it's not actually a rule but something along those lines. We'll see how it comes across onscreen, I suppose.

speechless
Member Avatar

Mason
Oct 14 2009, 11:39 PM
speechless
Oct 14 2009, 11:37 PM
I don't think Nathan is too old for her. I'm guessing he's in his mid-20s. That's only about 5-6 years older than her. It's common for girls to date guys that are about that many years older than them. Philip, on the other hand, is definitely too old for Melanie.
I wonder exactly how old is Nathan..maybe your right about his age..but he seems so much more worldly than Mel is all. BUT I do like them together!

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

PhoenixRising05
Oct 14 2009, 11:51 PM
I do wish the show would just SORAS Melanie t0 21. They haven't mentioned her age since February. I don't see the issue with the age difference. Unless Melanie is under 18, I don't get the big deal. How many soap couples and supercouples have had a age difference between them (Bo and Hope being one of them)? Now, it's some sort of taboo, at least around these boards.

If you don't like Philip and Melanie, that is fine. It should be all about the story and the chemistry IMO. It should not be about age difference IMO unless your breaking the law. This has been done on soaps for years and acting like it's some line that should not be crossed and trying to pigeon-hole characters into only being paired with characters in their own age bracket is too restrictive and leads to an isolated canvas...which is not good IMO.
And as I say every time you present your point of view on this, it's not about the exact number of years between people as much as it is a difference in where those people are in their lives. It's not JUST the JKJ looks like he's in his 30s and Molly looks 18 on a good day. It's that Melanie doesn't have anywhere near the life experience Philip does. As far as we know Melanie has never been married, never had a child, never thought she was a parent only to lose that child, never been to combat, never had corporate power and never suffered life-altering injuries (though I guess we're supposed to pretend Philip's leg regenerated). Everything Philip has been through gets ignored, apparently for the sake of pairing him with Melanie. I'm supposed to think Melanie's had some evil abusive childhood, but I didn't see it play out and I still don't know the exact parameters of what supposedly happened to her. I also feel she is very immature, even with her alleged backstory. Her jumping right into bed with Philip when all the evidence would have suggested to any grownup woman Philip wanted her because she was there and he was upset about Stephanie is exactly the kind of thing an immature 18 year old would do, not a wary, cautious woman wise beyond her years. I don't see Melanie doing anything that makes her mature. Of course, given that the writing for Philip has sucked beyond measure since last fall, with the ONLY exception being his recent conversation with Kate right before she married Stefano, I don't even care anymore. I never thought I'd see the day when Philip would be FF material, but this quad has broken me. It just sucks all the way around.

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

PhoenixRising05
Kevc1980
I agree. I have no issue with it. This all sounds good.

And I don't know how many times we have to explain it. This is not just a statutory problem (though it turns out Philip did nearly hop into bed with Melanie when she was UNDER 18 forever ruining him to me). It's a maturity issue. If you don't think there is any difference between adults 30+ (25+ sometimes) and adults under the age of 25 (and in this case under the age of 20), then the argument falls on deaf ears. Relationships are more than just about lust and desire, at least if you want them to succeed. If we are expected to believe that a man like Philip, that war veteran, handicapped, divorced business tycoon, could find something to relate to a young TEENAGER, then then the show will forever fail. And putting her suddenly at 21 won't help because we already see what a immature GIRL Melanie is. She acts her age and thus means Philip (and Brady)must be downgraded in maturity to interact with her. It's insulting.

I am not insisting large age differences can't work between lovers, but usually it succeeds when the younger person has reached a certain level in maturity that helps them relate to the older person. That includes family views, career paths, past loves, and though not necessarily required but very much appreciated EDUCATION LEVELS. Melanie, with her lack of anything I just listed should be the last person to be paired with Philip but for some reason, the show is stuck on forcing young women into relationships with guys who should be way ahead of them in such areas.

Then you have Molly Burnett, who sounds like a young girl and LOOKS like a young girl. I don't care how much hair dye they use on her, she still comes across as young. It's funny, many of the chan fans insisted that RM didn't have to look 21 to be paired with SC but if you have to mentally remind yourself the person can vote while they are making out with guys clearly older than them, then that's a problem. (Of course, I feel especially vindicated that RM showed up recently on Heroes as an 18 year old college freshman further proving my point). Molly was brought in before we had a teenager set so she had to be put in the youngest generation. When all of them left they had no where else for her to go but up, however that doesn't let them off the hook. Now we do have a teenager set, and if Chad can be swapping spit with Nicole, well, he can be swapping spit with Melanie thus removing her from Philip and Brady's circle. If the show woke up and put Melanie with that group, it certainly would improve a good deal on the character interactions across all generations. But they won't do that. Instead Chad gets bumped up to be opposite AZ. Lovely.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05

Bo and Hope aren't the same as Philip and Melanie. Hope was 17 when she met Bo. Bo was probably about 21ish. That's not that big of a deal. Melanie is 19 and Philip is hitting 30. That's disgusting.

If they would just give Melanie story with characters her own age for a few years, and then when Melanie's about 23 or 24, or whatever, I wouldn't have a problem with her going after Philip, who would be well into his 30s by then. It wouldn't bother me so much because Melanie isn't college age anymore. That's why Stephanie and Philip don't bother me as much as they first did. I just can't imagine Philip wanting to be with a college girl.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Tripp
Oct 15 2009, 11:40 AM
And I don't know how many times we have to explain it. This is not just a statutory problem (though it turns out Philip did nearly hop into bed with Melanie when she was UNDER 18 forever ruining him to me). It's a maturity issue. If you don't think there is any difference between adults 30+ (25+ sometimes) and adults under the age of 25 (and in this case under the age of 20), then the argument falls on deaf ears. Relationships are more than just about lust and desire, at least if you want them to succeed. If we are expected to believe that a man like Philip, that war veteran, handicapped, divorced business tycoon, could find something to relate to a young TEENAGER, then then the show will forever fail. And putting her suddenly at 21 won't help because we already see what a immature GIRL Melanie is. She acts her age and thus means Philip (and Brady)must be downgraded in maturity to interact with her. It's insulting.

I am not insisting large age differences can't work between lovers, but usually it succeeds when the younger person has reached a certain level in maturity that helps them relate to the older person. That includes family views, career paths, past loves, and though not necessarily required but very much appreciated EDUCATION LEVELS. Melanie, with her lack of anything I just listed should be the last person to be paired with Philip but for some reason, the show is stuck on forcing young women into relationships with guys who should be way ahead of them in such areas.

Then you have Molly Burnett, who sounds like a young girl and LOOKS like a young girl. I don't care how much hair dye they use on her, she still comes across as young. It's funny, many of the chan fans insisted that RM didn't have to look 21 to be paired with SC but if you have to mentally remind yourself the person can vote while they are making out with guys clearly older than them, then that's a problem. (Of course, I feel especially vindicated that RM showed up recently on Heroes as an 18 year old college freshman further proving my point). Molly was brought in before we had a teenager set so she had to be put in the youngest generation. When all of them left they had no where else for her to go but up, however that doesn't let them off the hook. Now we do have a teenager set, and if Chad can be swapping spit with Nicole, well, he can be swapping spit with Melanie thus removing her from Philip and Brady's circle. If the show woke up and put Melanie with that group, it certainly would improve a good deal on the character interactions across all generations. But they won't do that. Instead Chad gets bumped up to be opposite AZ. Lovely.

Agreed. On everything. :rockon:
Edited by DrewHamilton, Oct 15 2009, 12:14 PM.

Snowing Fan
Member Avatar

YAWN,Anything Melanie related bores me.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply