Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Suzanne Rogers Interview
Topic Started: Oct 15 2009, 06:57 AM (2,182 Views)
RogerNewcomb
Member Avatar

Damon Jacobs recently spent some time with Suzanne Rogers and here is the first part of that interview which focuses on her move from NYC to LA and landing the part at DAYS.
http://www.welovesoaps.net/2009/10/suzanne-rogers-interview-part-one.html

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

RogerNewcomb
Member Avatar

Here's Part Two where Suzanne talks about some of Maggie's memorable storylines including what she thought of Neil being Sarah's father and how she pitched the alcoholism story.
http://www.welovesoaps.net/2009/10/suzanne-rogers-interview-part-two.html

Deleted User
Deleted User

About her year long absence from the show. How did they write her off? How did they write her back in?
Quote Post Goto Top

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Amello
Oct 16 2009, 12:27 PM
About her year long absence from the show. How did they write her off? How did they wrote her back in?
If I remember correctly, it was right after the big Don/Maggie/Mickey triangle where Maggie and Don fell in love and were planning to get married while Mickey was presumed dead (actually held captive for the better part of a year by Stefano somewhere in South America). I believe Maggie left town to sort out her feelings.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

Matt
Oct 16 2009, 12:36 PM
Amello
About her year long absence from the show. How did they write her off? How did they wrote her back in?
If I remember correctly, it was right after the big Don/Maggie/Mickey triangle where Maggie and Don fell in love and were planning to get married while Mickey was presumed dead (actually held captive for the better part of a year by Stefano somewhere in South America). I believe Maggie left town to sort out her feelings.
And so when she returned she chose Mickey and that was that?
Quote Post Goto Top

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Amello
Oct 16 2009, 12:44 PM
Matt
Oct 16 2009, 12:36 PM
Amello
And so when she returned she chose Mickey and that was that?
I don't necessarily think that was that. I know that after Maggie returned, she ended up a victim of the hospital rapist (who ended up being obsessed with Melissa). Maggie was deeply traumatized and became a near recluse in her own home, going so far as to buy a gun for protection. Mickey & Maggie were divorced, but he made frequent visits (they were back in love, but the rape became a roadblock). Mickey left some documents behind at the house and thinking Maggie was asleep, he let himself in to pick them up. Maggie, however, didn't know it was Mickey coming through the door and, in a panic, shot at him! Thankfully, Maggie's a bad shot and missed, but the event was enough to snap Maggie back to her senses and Mickey proposed marriage. Melissa and Pete were already engaged and planning a Valentine's wedding and suggested a double wedding. It was really a very short amount of time between Mickey's proposal and Valentine's Day 1986 -- a matter of weeks. Mickey & Maggie then slid to the backburner as Melissa's supportive parents (although they came mid burner when Jack romanced Melissa while running against Mickey for a political office which led to Melissa realizing Jack was a jerk and dumping him at the altar and leaving town. Of course, that was after Melissa had been arrested for attempting to poision Kayla who had been married to Jack. She was innocent.)

jam6242
Member Avatar

I thought that Pete accidentally shot Mickey when Mickey tried to stop a gang fight. Maggie took care of him after he got out of the hospital and they rekindled their romance.

I've always loved Suzanne Rogers. Maggie & Mickey's romance on the farm is one of my all time favorite storylines. As she mentioned, we saw Maggie and Mickey (known as Marty) on the farm and away from Salem for almost three years! I don't remember ever being impatient for the story to move along. Of course, I was still in high school so could only see the show during the summer & other school breaks (no VCRs/DVRs, back then). I believe Maggie learned that Marty was Mickey Horton and kept it from him for a while because she was afraid she would lose him.
Edited by jam6242, Oct 16 2009, 01:22 PM.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

jam6242
Oct 16 2009, 01:21 PM
I thought that Pete accidentally shot Mickey when Mickey tried to stop a gang fight. Maggie took care of him after he got out of the hospital and they rekindled their romance.

I've always loved Suzanne Rogers. Maggie & Mickey's romance on the farm is one of my all time favorite storylines. As she mentioned, we saw Maggie and Mickey (known as Marty) on the farm and away from Salem for almost three years! I don't remember ever being impatient for the story to move along. Of course, I was still in high school so could only see the show during the summer & other school breaks (no VCRs/DVRs, back then). I believe Maggie learned that Marty was Mickey Horton and kept it from him for a while because she was afraid she would lose him.
I know Pete did accidentally shoot Mickey, but I think that was very early in the whole Pete/Melissa story and helped M&M be against the romance. I know the scenerio of Maggie almost shooting Mickey and the followup proposal for a fact since I have those eps on tape. :)

jam6242
Member Avatar

Matt
Oct 16 2009, 01:23 PM
jam6242
Oct 16 2009, 01:21 PM

I know Pete did accidentally shoot Mickey, but I think that was very early in the whole Pete/Melissa story and helped M&M be against the romance. I know the scenerio of Maggie almost shooting Mickey and the followup proposal for a fact since I have those eps on tape. :)
Thanks, I knew Pete shot Mickey at some point. Maggie & Mickey went through so many tribulations it's hard to keep track! It's a shame that younger viewers only know Maggie as a busybody these days.

Deleted User
Deleted User

Another question? What the hell were Maggie and "Marty" doing for three years at that damn farm? How did they keep that interesting for such a long time?

Quote Post Goto Top

jam6242
Member Avatar

Amello
Oct 16 2009, 04:06 PM
Another question? What the hell were Maggie and "Marty" doing for three years at that damn farm? How did they keep that interesting for such a long time?

Nothing eventful. They just got to know each other, fell in love, & got married. Of course, the audience knew that Mickey already had a wife back in Salem and the story was tied in with the Mickey/Laura/Bill triangle and the secret of Mike Horton's paternity (which took around 6 years, I think, to be revealed). Mickey/Marty convinced Maggie to have surgery to help her walk again, and of course she went to Salem for that. I think it was then that she saw Mickey's picture in the office of one of the Hortons at the hospital and went back to the farm without telling Mickey what she saw. The family finally found him after seeing his picture in the paper.

I suppose the writing & acting kept the story interesting for all that time. I believe that Days was still using story outlines by Bill Bell at that time. Also, the show did not hang its hat on only one major storyline to carry the show as they seem to do these days. For example, this was also the same time period in which Doug eloped with Addie (despite being in love with her daughter, Julie), Addie became pregnant with Hope, suffered from leukemia, gave birth to Hope, was killed saving Hope from a speeding vehicle, etc.

Dr. Chip

A year after Maggie left, Pete and Melissa were on the run from Victor, who was trying to kill them. Liz's brother, Todd, was with them and got shot. Melissa realized they were in over their heads, and she called Maggie (I think she was living in New York). Maggie realized that she was needed back in Salem, and we saw her hand picking up the phone, we heard her voice making a plane reservation for Salem, and there she was!

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Aha! It is online!

Edited by Matt, Oct 17 2009, 11:52 PM.

RogerNewcomb
Member Avatar

Part Three is now up. She talks a lot about her illness and it's rather inspirational.
http://www.welovesoaps.net/2009/10/suzanne-rogers-interview-part-three.html

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Here's Maggie's 1st scenes when she returned to the show in 1985 that Suzanne spoke about in Part 3 of her interview.

RogerNewcomb
Member Avatar

Part Four. This is about Maggie's "death" and Suzanne's feelings on that.
http://www.welovesoaps.net/2009/10/suzanne-rogers-interview-part-four.html

RogerNewcomb
Member Avatar

In the final part of our interview, Suzanne discussed the sudden popularity of her character after 36 years on the show, hopes for Maggie's future, and hard lessons learned.
http://www.welovesoaps.net/2009/10/suzanne-rogers-interview-part-five.html

AlmostRosey
Member Avatar

Thanks for posting..... i too feel that Maggie has come a long way this past year and as a viewer of the show i have grown to like her. specially with Melanie.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Quote:

We Love Soaps: What led to the sudden resurgence of Maggie on the canvas this past year?
Suzanne Rogers: I think weve got a producer [Gary Tomlin] who had worked with me years ago as a writer on the show. He had worked with me in New York in "Coco." He was not a writer then. He was working as a singer. But hes someone who knew my work. He had worked as a writer on the show when I had a story [1980-81], and then he knew me before then. He knew what I had done in musicals. So here we are, full circle, Im still there, and hes on as an Executive Producer, and we have a head writer who wrote for me years ago. She remembered my character, and remembered the work I did. They said, Hey,why doesnt she has something to do? All the cards fell into place.

She must be talking about Higley. Obviously the bitch is still there and has influence in story.

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

I think being backburner for years may have been a blessing- she's now familiar without being as expensive as others may have been.

And...I'm glad that Maggie was killed, because that storyline made me realize how great Rogers. I'd never seen Maggie and in just that short time I came to care so much that the 'death' was painful. So, I'm glad she's back to the forefront now.

Great interview- thanks for sharing.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply