Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
EW Eric Braeden update: Negotiations are over
Topic Started: Oct 16 2009, 05:01 PM (3,209 Views)
Ellie

http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2009/10/16/eric-braeden-young-restless-end-negotiations/

Exclusive: Eric Braeden says it's 'end of road' in negotiations with 'Young and the Restless'

by Lynette Rice

Genoa City fans who were holding out hope that Victor Newman will stay should start prepping their goodbyes now: Eric Braeden told EW.com exclusively today that “it’s the end of the road” and he’s “pulled the plug” on any more talks to stay on The Young and the Restless. In September, Braeden walked off the set of the soap that he’s called home since 1980 after an ugly contract negotiation with Sony. The production company wanted Braeden, 68, to take a pay cut but the actor opted to leave, instead. He told EW that he’s since made one more offer to reduce his salary but the studio wouldn’t budge, so his last appearance on the soap will air Nov. 2.

“We reached an impasse in the negotiations,” Braeden told EW.com. “I have shown flexibility, they have shown none. It is over. I pulled the plug. That’s it. No more. If I show good will, I expect it to be reciprocated. If there is a rigid attitude on the other side, what is there to to negotiate? That’s a sign of utter disrespect. I will not negotiate with people who remain aloof and arrogant about the whole thing. Not after 30 years, I won’t do that. I’m saying this with a great amount of sadness because I’ve had nothing but respect for my fellow cast members, I have deep respect for the crew who has done an extraordinary job year in and year out, and I have enormous respect for (head writer) Maria Bell.”

Braeden said he’s exploring new opportunities but declined to elaborate. “It’s slowly sinking in (that I’m leaving),” said Braeden. “It’s sad.”

Sony and CBS did not respond to requests for comment.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Y&RWorldTurner
Member Avatar
Sharongate, bitches!

If Braeden is indeed gone for good, now is the the time Y&R really needs stronger and better writers. The show would have to go though a massive overhauling and transition. So much of the show and the characters on the show revolve around Victor in some way, losing him would be a huge blow, and with this current writing regime, they wouldn't be able to handle such a complicated and delicate transitioning. Hell, they can't even transition between story arcs organically!

The show doesn't have Bill Bell or strong enough writers at the moment to handle this type of transition. Whether anyone likes him or not, the show has built a huge part of itself and its characters around Victor. If this transition isn't handled properly, which with this current writing regime, I'm sure it won't be, it could have pretty disastrous effects. And I say this as someone who is not particularly fond of the Victor character, at least I haven't been for a few years.

Lucid
Member Avatar

I think he'll be back

Nubia
Member Avatar
The Queen

Hmmmmm.....I wonder what will happen with MTS now that EB is really gone. Will they end her new contract after 13 weeks?

SomeSoupRocks
Member Avatar

Nubia
Oct 16 2009, 05:22 PM
Hmmmmm.....I wonder what will happen with MTS now that EB is really gone. Will they end her new contract after 13 weeks?
I was thinking the same thing,I bet that MTS will be out after her 13 weeks(I hope I am wrong tho)!!
Wow, so it is really over for E.B./V.N.!!!
Edited by SomeSoupRocks, Oct 16 2009, 05:58 PM.

Crazygirl
Member Avatar

Quote:

I think he'll be back

So do I. It's pretty obvious to me that EB doesn't really want to go anywhere, I mean he's been giving "exclusives" to everyone thats willing to listen. He'll be back.

I'm not particularly fond of the Victor character myself but I do know how important he is to the show.

MEK
Member Avatar

There are rumors floating around that Melody Thomas Scott only agreed to sign a short term contact that coincided with Braeden's cycle and that if he left she would be leaving as well. But on the flip side there are spoilers that Nikki will return on her own in December. I could not care less about EB leaving but I hope MTS is not gone too.

It was Y&R and SONY by EB's own admission in one of his interviews that stopped negotiating with him. Now he is saying he pulled the plug. Oh well I suppose he is entitled to try and save face.

MEK
Member Avatar

Crazygirl
Oct 16 2009, 06:03 PM
Quote:

I think he'll be back

So do I. It's pretty obvious to me that EB doesn't really want to go anywhere, I mean he's been giving "exclusives" to everyone thats willing to listen. He'll be back.

I agree that EB will be back. This is all posturing on his part so when he comes back on the show's terms he can pretend that did not cave. That is if the show wants him back. They don't seem too concerned about his leaving.
Edited by MEK, Oct 16 2009, 06:11 PM.

VictorNewmanfan
Member Avatar

WOW Stunning simply shocking no words can describe how angered i am right now!Thanks YaR Great Job

Q Steph
Member Avatar
Put your hands up for Obama

He obviously wants someone to beg him to stay.

Kenny
Member Avatar

Crazygirl
Agreed.

This is all Eric's way of stirring up a media frenzy in hopes that the show will buckle to his demands. He'll be back. I have no doubt in my mind.

peaches179

Kenny
Oct 16 2009, 08:15 PM
Crazygirl
Agreed.

This is all Eric's way of stirring up a media frenzy in hopes that the show will buckle to his demands. He'll be back. I have no doubt in my mind.

Drake Hogestyn anyone......

aveRex
Member Avatar

My bet is that a recast is already under way. Let the guessing begins on who will be the replacement. My guesses on a short list are :
-Ron Raines (xGL's Alan Spaulding)
-Ben Masters (xPassions' Julian Crane)

Kenny
Member Avatar

I think Thaao Penghlis would make a great Victor Newman if he didn't have that accent.

Drew
Member Avatar
Ewok

There's no way they'll recast.

Tucker on the other hand ...

Deleted User
Deleted User

I'm with Kenny. I don't believe it either. Just like with Deidre, I'll feign ignorance until it is 100% a done deal.
Quote Post Goto Top

Mason
Member Avatar

They're better off without him, if you ask me. From what I've seen, he's a diva, an entirely overrated actor, and they've probably been paying him a hell of a lot more than he's really worth. I almost wish I were still watching the show just so I could see a Victor-less Y&R.

And please spare me the "the importance of Victor Newman to Y&R" spiel. Frankly, I think if anyone is the most vital to the show, it's Katherine.
Edited by Mason, Oct 17 2009, 12:46 AM.

Drew
Member Avatar
Ewok

well, they better use some of the money they're saving to bring on Rowell.

sungrey

Mason
Oct 17 2009, 12:44 AM
They're better off without him, if you ask me. From what I've seen, he's a diva, an entirely overrated actor, and they've probably been paying him a hell of a lot more than he's really worth. I almost wish I were still watching the show just so I could see a Victor-less Y&R.

And please spare me the "the importance of Victor Newman to Y&R" spiel. Frankly, I think if anyone is the most vital to the show, it's Katherine.
You could debate his merit from here to eternity. I do think Y&R's reign at No. 1 will end without him on the show, though. This could piss off a TON of viewers (and I agree about Jeanne Cooper's worth, by the way)

Kenny
Member Avatar

sungrey
Oct 17 2009, 01:32 AM
You could debate his merit from here to eternity. I do think Y&R's reign at No. 1 will end without him on the show, though.
Maybe, but it'll take a while. Not enough people watch Y&R for Victor Newman to tune out in the snap of a finger over this.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply