Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Y&R: MTS in contract talks again?
Topic Started: Oct 21 2009, 03:15 PM (7,912 Views)
pikki123
Member Avatar

MTS is now in contract talks again. Sony wants her on recurring or dropped completely. MTS wants to stay but is mad at what they are doing.

***UPDATED with DC REPORT***

Quote:

Just received a tip, that those spoilerazzis over at Daytime Royalty, are abuzz with rumors about The Young and the Restless leading lady Melody Thomas Scott once again being in rather salty contract talks with Sony. Guess what, we've been hearing the exact same thing!

Reportedly, Scott was allowed to save face in the press by making it seem like she re-signed "on her own terms" during her last round of talks, but chatter is Scott was only given a short term deal to coincide with the end of Eric Braeden's contract cycle.

"Melody is willing to take the substantial pay cut Sony wants her to take, but she wants a contract," says a source.

Sony, however reportedly wants the actress to take recurring or nothing else. Could we soon be seeing the last of Victor and Nikki?

"Sony was paying close attention to what happened at Days of Our Lives when Deidre [Hall] and Drake [Hogestyn] were let go," says an industry insider. "Not only didn't the show tank, DAYS has actually gained viewers. They could care less about angry fans online."

This ish gets crazier by the minute...

I'm pissed of by this news MTS went through this contract crap in the summer. she took the paycut and signed the contract. EB/MTS contracts are completely different. EB chose to walk, MTS wants to stay. I love nikki and mts. what in the hell was the point in taking her back to go and do this? I was really looking forward to seeing nikki without victor, instead looks like we won't be seeing her at all.

mab and the hacks haven't helped nikki/mts storyline wise. they backburned her last year with paul. and now her comeback they have written nikki in the worst light.

MAB has no new ideas or storylines. all she does is rehash stories.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Miss Rhi
Member Avatar
"If Sami can't find happiness with a Martian, then she can't find happiness with anyone."

What site or who is the source for this?

pikki123
Member Avatar

it's all over the mesage boards.soapcentral/ sonypictures.the source have a very good track record.

Kenny
Member Avatar

Actually, I've been hearing the same thing, so I wouldn't be surprised if this was true.

pikki123
Member Avatar

I Feel sorry for her. she did the whole pay cut thing and now we don't want you crap, she deserves better, mab and sony are destorying this show bit by bit, it's really sick that nikki goes into the sunset with her abuser it's just gross. if it the bugdet why are they still hiring new actors. why instead don't they get rid of the unless people on the show gloria jeff ryder jt vicky amber kevin jana the list goes on,

Miss Rhi
Member Avatar
"If Sami can't find happiness with a Martian, then she can't find happiness with anyone."

I should probably browse around at other places more often.... :peek:

Kenny
Member Avatar

Looks like sources at Daytime Confidential are reporting the same thing.

Quote:

Just received a tip, that those spoilerazzis over at Daytime Royalty, are abuzz with rumors about The Young and the Restless leading lady Melody Thomas Scott once again being in rather salty contract talks with Sony. Guess what, we've been hearing the exact same thing!

"Sony was paying close attention to what happened at Days of Our Lives when Deidre [Hall] and Drake [Hogestyn] were let go," says an industry insider. "Not only didn't the show tank, DAYS has actually gained viewers. They could care less about angry fans online."

MEK
Member Avatar

So in other words MTS re-signed in good faith last July after difficult contract negotiations now SONY is going to shaft her? The people at SONY are rumored to be very petty. Maybe they are trying to get back at MTS because she had the "nerve" to take a stance against them. Or maybe they just wanted to bring Nikki back so they could write her and Victor off together but neglected to mention that "minor fact" to MTS.

I can't speak to DAYS because I don't watch that show. Maybe they have good writers who came up with story lines that continued to interest viewers even after favorites were written off. But MAB is a hack who can't write a decent story line even when popular characters are on the show. If an actress of MTS' caliber is let go as well as other veterans (I think this is only the beginning -already there are rumors that once the baby story line ends Eileen Davidson will be gone)coupled with the atrocious writing Y&R is going to sink even further than it already has.

Kenny
Member Avatar

MEK
Oct 21 2009, 05:29 PM
So in other words MTS re-signed in good faith last July after difficult contract negotiations now SONY is going to shaft her? The people at SONY are rumored to be very petty.
It sounds to me like the people in charge are trying to pull a "Days" by cutting the biggest stars and doing whatever they can to re-invent the show for cheaper. With Days, it seems to be working... ratings-wise, anyway. Y&R, however, will fail if they try this. Victor and Nikki aren't nearly as unimportant to Y&R as John and Marlena were to Days in the last ten years.

Until just recently, the best thing Y&R had going for it was its stability. Not just cast stability, but creative stability. That's one of the reasons it's been at the top of the ratings for so long. It's part of what set it apart from all the other shows. However, if it continues going down this path much longer, I fear it's going to become "just another soap."

Sammie Jo
Member Avatar

I read it at Toni's board, and they got it from Soap City.
I think the perfect revenge is for both of them to leave, and go over to B&B as their normal characters, that will make any story that Y&R does for their demise, look dumb as hell!
Screw sony, it'll be a cold day in hell if I ever buy another sony product. They've ruined the only soap I ever watched in my entire life!

Grandpa Hughes
Member Avatar
"Dedicated to the brotherhood of healing. "

Kenny
Oct 21 2009, 05:39 PM
MEK
So in other words MTS re-signed in good faith last July after difficult contract negotiations now SONY is going to shaft her? The people at SONY are rumored to be very petty.
It sounds to me like the people in charge are trying to pull a "Days" by cutting the biggest stars and doing whatever they can to re-invent the show for cheaper. With Days, it seems to be working... ratings-wise, anyway. Y&R, however, will fail if they try this. Victor and Nikki aren't nearly as unimportant to Y&R as John and Marlena were to Days in the last ten years.

Until just recently, the best thing Y&R had going for it was its stability. Not just cast stability, but creative stability. That's one of the reasons it's been at the top of the ratings for so long. It's part of what set it apart from all the other shows. However, if it continues going down this path much longer, I fear it's going to become "just another soap."
Exactly! Y&R is NOT DAYS, and the axing of the DH's can't compare to cutting vets at Y&R! John and Marlena were put through so many inconsistent plot contrivances over the years that the integrity of the characters was compromised IMO! I think Sony is aiming to do EXACTLY what they did at DAYS! The grooming of Billy Abbott to fill Jack's shoes in the Abbott/Newman feud, the talk of Adam becoming the "next Victor" , the virtual disappearance of Neil and other factors all lead me to believe that PB, KSJ, ED , DD and possibly even Jess Walton are "on the bubble" right behind EB and MTS! But they may as well pull the plug on the show if they think the DAYS strategy will work here! The show went through enormous upheaval when it went to an hour and the Brooks and Foster families were gradually phased out but it WAS gradual and there was still consistency as Bill Bell used Jill/Katherine to great effect and built on other characters already on canvas such as Jack Abbott, Paul Williams, Nikki Reed and Victor Newman! This soap is rapidly going down the creative drain and the obvious backstage tension and low morale of the cast is no secret! Even when LML was running the show, I don't recall as many fans being so critical of the show! It's sad because this was the one soap that got it "right" for so long and SHOULD have been the model for other shows to follow! Now the number one rated soap of 2 decades is following the "model" of other soaps and is losing it's "identity"!

NavJLee8785
Member Avatar
Always the Panic Spreader

Uh-oh....I feel another one of my rants coming on....

MTSRocks
Member Avatar

Honestly, I'm at a loss for words right now. Behind the scenes must suck right now.

Q Steph
Member Avatar
Put your hands up for Obama

I don't log on for a few days and the dam breaks. Poor MTS.

cassie1013

I'm glad I also see the parallel here with Sony and DAYS' John and Marlena. Well, news flash: Y&R and DAYS are 2 drastically different soap operas - one shouldn't be acting as a case study for the other.

From a writing perspective, I do understand and agree that the character of Victor has run its course. EB has been in a slump for a while now, and it doesn't help that he's pushing 70. MTS, on the other hand, is considerably younger and I feel like new life has been breathed into the character of Nikki over the past while. She's still very much relevant to the show, and I think separating her character from "Victor" has done a world of good in terms of character development and new story line potential.

From a PR perspective, losing "Victor Newman" will hurt Y&R, no ifs, ands or buts - he's a recognizable face in pop culture. I strongly believe that if MTS stays, it'll counteract this a bit and act as damage control - getting rid of their TWO longtime icons is one of the worst decisions they can make.

Putting her on recurring is a major slap in the face, not only to MTS but also to the fans. She might as well leave now, as this looks like, to me at least, a way to let her go gently (and drag it out while they "use" her - play on words, haha). Is she really being paid SO much that they simply can't afford it?

MTSRocks
Member Avatar

^^^Katherine is 80! IA that separating Nikki from Victor reinvigorated the character.

cassie1013

Kenny
Oct 21 2009, 05:39 PM
MEK

See, this is where I'm conflicted. Yes, Y&R has (had) stability. Yes, it was above and beyond EVERY other soap in terms of creativity and visual. But the word stability is so suggestive - in terms of the show, Y&R isn't afraid to take risks - they'll kill off a main character and keep going.

DAYS, on the other hand, is much more conservative - they aren't going to kill off Hope tomorrow and mosey on with it. Even though John and Marlena did start to become irrelevant in the past 5 years (I think 10 is pushing it - their big wedding was 10 years ago, and they were still at the top of their game lol), in terms of the bigger picture, I feel John and Marlena are much more important to DAYS and the way in which DAYS preserves it's history versus Y&R's ever-changing canvas.

I don't even know why I'm bothering to compare the situations anyway - continuing, though, DAYS would never consider forever breaking up John and Marlena, but it honestly looked like Y&R was done with Victor and Nikki. As a viewer, I was actually ok with that, because Y&R doesn't live in the past like DAYS does. My point is that these types of risks are what has kept Y&R relevant...and sending these two characters off into the sunset contradicts everything they've done to differentiate from "those other soaps", IMO.

cassie1013

MTSRocks
Oct 21 2009, 09:36 PM
^^^Katherine is 80! IA that separating Nikki from Victor reinvigorated the character.
But Katherine represents 80 appropriately and with relevance. What's gone wrong with Victor is he's overstayed his welcome on the older man, play boy island and now it's simply not working. They've written themselves into a corner with him - the man's been married twice in two years, and is apparently still knocking chicks up like it's no big deal.

They can't all of a sudden just turn around and write him as an endearing older man, kind of like what they've done with Kay.

From a TV Execs position, I do agree he's expendable, especially if you're trying to make cuts. Again, though, from a PR perspective, losing a consistent icon is never a good thing. And from the fan's perspective, we all love our vets!

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

It worked for DAYS. The show survived without Hall and Hogestyn, and like it or not, Y&R will survive without Braeden and Scott.

NavJLee8785
Member Avatar
Always the Panic Spreader

DrewHamilton
Oct 21 2009, 10:14 PM
It worked for DAYS. The show survived without Hall and Hogestyn, and like it or not, Y&R will survive without Braeden and Scott.
No it won't....I am sorry, but the only difference between the two is that Nikki/Victor were frontburner ALL the damn time on the show. John/Marlena, while popular...what did they do before they were released? Frontburner characters will be a HUGE slap in the face of Y&R, and I can seriously see the show going below a 3.0. It won't be fast, but it will be gradual.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply