Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Y&R: Showdown in Genoa City Rocks Soap World!; "The Wrap" Article
Topic Started: Oct 21 2009, 05:56 PM (3,130 Views)
Kenny
Member Avatar

Showdown in Genoa City Rocks Soap World
By Josef Adalian

Things are getting ugly in Genoa City.

The soap opera world is still reeling from the news that Eric Braeden, the longtime star of CBS's No. 1-rated "The Young and the Restless," has chosen to leave the series rather than accept a reduction in his estimated salary of $1.5 million per year.

Now there's word that some well-known actors could end up being cast on the show in order to fill the gap left by Braeden's scheduled November exit.

First, however, some background.

"Y&R" producer Sony Pictures Television has been doing all it can to make sure the series (along with Sony-distributed "Days of Our Lives") survives in a world increasingly hostile to daytime dramas. Just last month, CBS pulled the plug on the iconic "Guiding Light," proving that no soap is safe.

Earlier this year, Sony brass held a town meeting with the "Y&R" cast and crew in order to outline the studio's plan to keep the series financially viable in the wake of CBS cutting its license fee for the show. Sony chief Steve Mosko personally detailed the challenges facing the show and the studio's commitment to keep it healthy for years to come.

Across-the-board pay cuts were announced, part of a plan to spread the pain as fairly as possible.

Interestingly, Braeden didn't attend the meeting, a person familiar with the session told TheWrap. What's more, he didn't accept the idea of a major pay cut.

Under his existing deal, Braeden pulls down roughly $1.5 million per year, according to two people with an understanding of his deal. Sony said it needed to reduce that figure to just over $1 million. (A standard clause in soap deals allows terms to be renegotiated every quarter.)

Even at the reduced level, Braeden would remain the highest-paid actor on the series, as well as one of the top-paid soap stars, period. The reduction was in line with pay cuts other top stars had taken.

Braeden, however, doesn't think he should take such a big cut. And, according to insiders, he doesn't think Sony paid him enough respect in approaching him about the decision.

"My God, after 30 years. the perfunctory manner with which one is dealt with!" Braeden told reporter Michael Logan in a TV Guide Magazine story posted earlier this month.

Sony and the show's producers have already cast William Russ ("Boy Meets World") to play a tycoon role not unlike the one played by Braeden. But now there's talk the show could yet add a well-known actor to fill the void left by Braeden's exit.

A source close to the show confirms that the names of Paul Michael Glaser ("Starsky & Hutch") , William Devane ("Knot's Landing") and Peter Strauss ("Rich Man, Poor Man") have all come up in conversations about the future of "Y&R." While no formal negotiations have taken place, the reps for those three actors have expressed at least preliminary interest in the idea of moving to Genoa City.

And why not? A part on the show would offer steady work, decent hours and a seven-figure salary.

"There are a dozen actors who would jump at this chance," one person close to the show said. "It's a great job that pays well."

Will Braeden change his mind and agree to a pay cut? Will the show's producers find a way to fill the hole left by his exit? Can the soap opera business survive?

Tune in tomorrow.

Source: The Wrap
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

JDB

"My God, after 30 years. the perfunctory manner with which one is dealt with!"
They should have used three !!! at least for effect.
I'm also surprised William Devane is still alive.
If they try to fill that tycoon archetype it won't work fans (online or not) are just going to see a ReplacementMustache and hate'em. I think they would be better off to pool their money for a Victoria recast, or fire a writer. Or just move away from having most of the show revolve around some tycoon who always gets away with everything in the end.

Y&RWorldTurner
Member Avatar
Sharongate, bitches!

This show is truly a mess and becoming more and more unrecognizable by the moment...

Do they really need TWO characters to fill some type of void Victor will leave behind?
Edited by Y&RWorldTurner, Oct 21 2009, 06:24 PM.

JaiJai
Member Avatar

Since they're trying to hire all these other people, why not just keep EB and honor his contract? Face it, Y&R is not ready to lose a character of Victor Newman's magnitude, they have absolutely no alternatives lined up. All the stories are terrible and there is no incentive for Victor fans to remain tuned in once he leaves. MAB needs to get her head out of her butt cheeks and face the fact that her precious Adam/MM is not going to save Y&R and lead Y&R into the future, he's going to lead Y&R right into cancellation. No male character has been groomed to step into Victor's shoes, Nick is nowhere near ready to become the Newman family patriarch, Adam can't do it either. Jack has been emasculated. And after that there are no major players at all. Sony is just going to have to swallow their pride and approach EB with some common sense, kind words, ego stroking, and negotiate a fair deal with him. I don't think EB has a problem with taking a cut, it's obvious moreso about the way he was approached about it. Really an email, then a lawyer, nobody from TIIC came to him to talk to him face to face, yeah I don't blame him for being pissed.

soapfan0

Hello, the actor was paid 1.5 million per year!

His pay cut STILL would have given him 1 MILLION a year.

Gosh, the ego of some actors.

Economy is going downhill. People are out of jobs.

And Eric can't take a tiny paycut in his salary?

Every actor took one so far. Even the actress playing Jill who at first did not want to, but then agreed.

Susan Lucci took a paycut.

And Eric thinks he is above all the other actors?

For whom would ONE million dollars be what you call a "little salary"?

Especially because it's an ensemble soap cast. Not a primetime show where one actor could be the whole show.

Kenny
Member Avatar

soapfan0
Oct 21 2009, 08:46 PM

Every actor took one so far. Even the actress playing Jill who at first did not want to, but then agreed.

Well, Eric is telling the press that it's not about the pay cut -- it's about the manor in which his negotiations have been dealt. He feels disrespected and unloved, LoL.

JDB

Since EB loves MAB so much, why couldn't Sony have gotten her to give him the bad news?

Crazygirl
Member Avatar

^^ She's probably too busy writing the character of Victor and the rest of the show into the ground.

Quote:

Well, Eric is telling the press that it's not about the pay cut -- it's about the manor in which his negotiations have been dealt. He feels disrespected and unloved, LoL.

:hug: I think someone needs a hug. Seriously though I do think its all about the way it was done and not the money. EB said himself that he was the first one willing to take a pay cut last time. He just sounds like he was disrespected and he didn't like it. I still say he'll be back after they kiss his ass for a little while and he gives about 10 more interviews. The show just needs Victor Newman too badly to be stupid enough to actually let him walk.

Q Steph
Member Avatar
Put your hands up for Obama

Y&RWorldTurner
Oct 21 2009, 06:23 PM
This show is truly a mess and becoming more and more unrecognizable by the moment...

Do they really need TWO characters to fill some type of void Victor will leave behind?

MTSRocks
Member Avatar

The plot thickens.

I think actors are way overpaid in television (movies too). Plus, it has nothing to do with demand, seeing as how there are hundreds of aspiring actors out there, yet, networks recycle the same ones (or former film stars).
Edited by MTSRocks, Oct 21 2009, 09:10 PM.

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

soapfan0
Oct 21 2009, 08:46 PM

For whom would ONE million dollars be what you call a "little salary"?

Especially because it's an ensemble soap cast. Not a primetime show where one actor could be the whole show.
You just got suckered by the Sony spin.

Being compensated well for years of loyalty and service is not something exclusive to actors. Every person expects this of their employer. Burger flipper to tv star, it doesnt matter. Just because some people are unemployed, doesnt mean he should be doing the job for minimum wage. He's the face of a very successful international series. That means you get paid the big money. Period.

It's so unprofessional of these people to be releasing Braden's salary details. And completely one sided to make it sound like he's just out for money when he was the the first person on Y&R volunteering to take a paycut when he renegotiated this contract. Very convenient how that is left out ... This writer is definitely on the Sony payroll.

into_the_skyline
Member Avatar

We need to use our heads for a second. We now know that they're writing Melody Thomas Scott off...what does that tell you? If they wanted Victor and Nikki to stay they would've signed her to a long term contract or just written her off. They gave her a short term deal, probably told her it was to give them time to work out details for a long term deal. In reality, they simply needed her to help them write Victor (and Nikki as well).

They probably looked at how much they could've gotten from dumping both of them and that was the plan from jump. Soaps never operate in such a cold manner in negotiations with stars that they WANT to keep. It may get tough towards the end, but you always start in good faith, or at least give them that assumption.

I bet it was the Diedre Hall/Drake Hogysten firing that inspired this.

MEK
Member Avatar

into_the_skyline
Oct 22 2009, 12:56 AM
We need to use our heads for a second. We now know that they're writing Melody Thomas Scott off...what does that tell you? If they wanted Victor and Nikki to stay they would've signed her to a long term contract or just written her off. They gave her a short term deal, probably told her it was to give them time to work out details for a long term deal. In reality, they simply needed her to help them write Victor (and Nikki as well).

They probably looked at how much they could've gotten from dumping both of them and that was the plan from jump. Soaps never operate in such a cold manner in negotiations with stars that they WANT to keep. It may get tough towards the end, but you always start in good faith, or at least give them that assumption.

I bet it was the Diedre Hall/Drake Hogysten firing that inspired this.
Exactly right! SONY had no interest in keeping either EB or MTS. The fact that they re-signed MTS to a contract just a few months ago then turned around and are now demanding she go on recurring makes that crystal clear. They did just bring her back so that Nikki could be part of Victor's departure. Needless to say they did not tell MTS that so in effect they shafted her after MTS re-signed in good faith. The knew that Braeden would react negatively to the way they demanded he take a pay cut and walk. They also knew Melody Thomas Scott would not accept going on recurring as she made clear last summer during her contract negotiations. So this was all planned to get rid of both of them and do so in a way that they could blame the actors. Though how they think they can get away with blaming MTS when they just re-signed her last summer and now are pulling rug out from under her is incomprehensible.

The actors have to sign a non-disclosure agreement re their salaries and the terms of their contracts. But it is okay for SONY to release their salaries? Now there are reports probably from SONY that MTS made as much money as EB. I agree with the poster who said that SONY is behaving so unprofessionally.

mll1206
Member Avatar

Just because we are only hearing that EB was asked to change his contract in mid-contract does not mean that others were not asked in mid contract, they are just professional enough to not air it in public.

Why did EB not attend the meeting with Steve Mosko?? It sounds more and more that EB is not a team player, you know "Together Everyone Achieves More!" If they all do their part then they all survive. Just like in the real world, we were told either we will lay off or you can take a decrease in pay, we picked the decrease so NO ONE would lose their job! and as we became more profitable we got it back!! EB only cares about EB, not the grip or the key or lady in the makeup room or wardrobe or evidently his fellow actors! It was ok when others took their paycut, but he is above the rest of the cast.

EB had 177 episodes last year out of 253 which means he got $8,474.58 per episode, even if he was on for only 10 minutes out of the standard 37-42 minute show!! This year through the end of September he was on 126 out of 189 episodes, with an average of 14 show per month by Nov 2 he would be in 154 episodes before he "walked" that is $9,740.26 per episode or $974.03 per minute, for about 25 1/2 hours of work!!!

I would love for EB to work my job for a few months, I would gladly do his!!! I have been told I am real good at being a Asshole!!
Edited by mll1206, Oct 22 2009, 08:46 AM.

Tammy
Member Avatar

I don't watch this show so I don't have any opinion about the actor(s) being let go. But the pay situation is what pisses me off. I am so tired of hearing these actors bitch about pay cuts. Let these people make the same pay as a teacher for a year and then see if they bitch when their 1.5 million dollar per year salary is cut down to 1 MILLLION a year!!!

curlygirl
Member Avatar

The way I understand this, it is about the way he was approached and sure, it is about the money. We all go to work to make more money and we all like to feel like we are indispensable! Realty is, we are not! But, I wouldn't like it one darn bit if I had worked somewhere for that length of time and was asked to considerably cut my salary. Sure, in economic times, it is most likely a given there would be no pay raises and other cuts, but to take away what you have grown accustomed to, eh, that would be a little hard to swallow. :flipoff: I think their approach was callous and I don't blame him for feeling disrespected and devalued. :shame:

I applaud him for speaking out. :cheer: This show is in a world of hurt and this certainly does not help their "image". My momma, who now watches here and there, was a hot mess over hearing that he was out--I really thought she was gonna cry and she stated with clear assertion--"I will stop watching the day he leaves". I wonder how many really feel that way and really will stop watching. I know my mother is dead serious about it--and even more adamant now that I told her about Nikki possibly off canvas too.

This show is in a sad state! :moon:

thanks for the article ;)
Edited by curlygirl, Oct 22 2009, 09:10 AM.

into_the_skyline
Member Avatar

But MTS is not being offered a contract, they want to fire her or drop her to recurring. No way she'll make 1 million or more on recurring. You know that's how you get rid of someone! As for Braeden, he was the first cast member to take a paycut two years ago when he signedthis contract. It's obviously not about the money, but the way he's been treated. Look at Jess Walton who was also treated like cat shit. We all know she's not a diva and she was hugely insulted. Let's not forget she said the same things that Braeden is saying. How harsh Sony was sending her a letter THREATENING her. In the middle of her contract, "Bitch take this paycut or find a new job!" I'm not going to react kindly to that either. It's so rude to someone who has been on the show for 20 or 30 years.

mll1206
Member Avatar

rumor has it that MTS's contract was only short term and on SONY's terms not her's and it was based on whether or not EB resigned, since he walked they don't have a FULL TIME need for her, either it is recurring or no-curring.

This is no different then in the real world when a group of employees are called into a meeting and are told "it's been fun!! there are boxes now on your desk for your personal effects, DO NOT TOUCH your phones or computers, place your company cell phone and ALL keys in the top drawer and exit the building in an orderly fashion." Life is a BITCH and I would love to make 1.5 million a year for my job that I work 10-12 hours a day, 5 to 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year with no sick pay, no 401k match, high health and dental insurance deductions and 3 weeks vacation a year at my companies approval.

bellcurve
Member Avatar

mll1206
Oct 22 2009, 08:39 AM
Just because we are only hearing that EB was asked to change his contract in mid-contract does not mean that others were not asked in mid contract, they are just professional enough to not air it in public.

Why did EB not attend the meeting with Steve Mosko?? It sounds more and more that EB is not a team player, you know "Together Everyone Achieves More!" If they all do their part then they all survive. Just like in the real world, we were told either we will lay off or you can take a decrease in pay, we picked the decrease so NO ONE would lose their job! and as we became more profitable we got it back!! EB only cares about EB, not the grip or the key or lady in the makeup room or wardrobe or evidently his fellow actors! It was ok when others took their paycut, but he is above the rest of the cast.

EB had 177 episodes last year out of 253 which means he got $8,474.58 per episode, even if he was on for only 10 minutes out of the standard 37-42 minute show!! This year through the end of September he was on 126 out of 189 episodes, with an average of 14 show per month by Nov 2 he would be in 154 episodes before he "walked" that is $9,740.26 per episode or $974.03 per minute, for about 25 1/2 hours of work!!!
Um EXCUSE ME, but do you even know if he was set to tape that day? Do you know if he had the day off?

I'm sure if SONY execs were there and if he thought it was worth it to stick around, he would have.

And just as Eric Braeden doesn't care about the grip or the lady in the makeup room, I'm sure they don't care about him either. Again, it's the line of work one chooses.

Quote:

I would love for EB to work my job for a few months, I would gladly do his!!! I have been told I am real good at being a Asshole!!

You wish.

I ABSOLUTELY agree with Drew.

lilacwine
Member Avatar

EB has said he made a counteroffer... I wonder what that was.

Good bye Y&R

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply