Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOD:November Sweeps!; November 3rd issue; article summary
Topic Started: Oct 22 2009, 01:15 PM (6,425 Views)
sungrey

DrewHamilton
Oct 27 2009, 03:05 PM
If Bo and Hope were split up last year, I would say they will be reunited and that they'll be the money couple. However, like others have said, we're watching a brand new DAYS now. Supercouples don't have the power they once did. It may be a good thing.
Splitting up Bo and Hope is like the third rail. You'll touch it once and then be so scared to do it again. I'm going along with this story, but I will not be surprised if another "The plan to save Days!" cover results within a year.

It's a lot like GH. I am a fan of Bob Guza, but when he F'd around with Luke and Laura the audience came down on him hard. There are just some couples you do not touch without fear of something happening. :)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

sungrey
Oct 28 2009, 12:58 AM
DrewHamilton
If Bo and Hope were split up last year, I would say they will be reunited and that they'll be the money couple. However, like others have said, we're watching a brand new DAYS now. Supercouples don't have the power they once did. It may be a good thing.
Splitting up Bo and Hope is like the third rail. You'll touch it once and then be so scared to do it again. I'm going along with this story, but I will not be surprised if another "The plan to save Days!" cover results within a year.

It's a lot like GH. I am a fan of Bob Guza, but when he F'd around with Luke and Laura the audience came down on him hard. There are just some couples you do not touch without fear of something happening. :)
As far as Days goes, the current ratings, especially in the past year or so, prove supercouples don't mean squat in regards to ratings anymore. That era is gone. Those viewers are pretty much gone and I doubt they will come back nor do I think the show should try to get them back because they were too fickle to begin with. Tomlin's clear plan was to go after the general viewers and it's worked. All those fans want is an entertaining show that is classic soap. That is what Days has been delivering and the ratings have been responding.

I agree with Drew. There are no guarantees and that is what I think is helping Days so much right now. It's spontaneous. You have no idea where things may go. No one wants to watch a show where you already know where things will end up. Bo and Hope may be iconic but that doesn't matter anymore. Hell, their fanbase is not as vocal as others anyway. They never have been. Even during the times they were split up, I never recall reading as much complaints from them nor were their reactions as extreme as other fanbases. They seem to go along for the ride, at least for a little awhile.

I just don't think it matters anymore. I don't think Bo and Hope staying together makes or breaks Days. I don't think any character or couple makes or breaks the show on their own. If there is a need for another plan to save Days (and the current plan has been working well for about a year now), then it won't be t because of Bo and Hope or whoever they end up with. I remember a year ago Days was declared dead because it axed J&M and look what has happened. A permanent Bo and Hope split may have hurt the show a decade ago but I doubt it would matter at all now.

SpriteEyes
Member Avatar

I don't know enough about Rafe to make me care about Sami and Rafe. Same goes for his sister. They could both leave tomorrow and I wouldn't miss them.

I'm interested in the Nathan/Melanie/Phil/Stephanie quad which is strange cuz I usually hate them.

Have no desire to watch Theresa and Ethan part II.

I think they need to try Arianna/Carly.

The greatest non-spoiler involves Vic/Viv/Stefano/Kate. Throw them the phone book and they'll find a way to make it interesting.

The writers are doing their best to make me dislike Hope so I'll accept Bo with Carly. I might accept Bo with someone else but so far Carly's just not bringing it.

cassie1013

This is a little random, but they NEED to end Lexie and Abe. This pairing is totally bringing the character of Lexie down... there's sooooo much potential for her to move back into Stefano's house, and start embracing the DiMera in her. This could also lead to a house of crazy, LOL.

I'd throw her into a story with Dr. Dan, lol, there's some chemistry there.

sungrey

PhoenixRising05
Oct 28 2009, 01:08 AM
sungrey
DrewHamilton

As far as Days goes, the current ratings, especially in the past year or so, prove supercouples don't mean squat in regards to ratings anymore. That era is gone. Those viewers are pretty much gone and I doubt they will come back nor do I think the show should try to get them back because they were too fickle to begin with. Tomlin's clear plan was to go after the general viewers and it's worked. All those fans want is an entertaining show that is classic soap. That is what Days has been delivering and the ratings have been responding.

I agree with Drew. There are no guarantees and that is what I think is helping Days so much right now. It's spontaneous. You have no idea where things may go. No one wants to watch a show where you already know where things will end up. Bo and Hope may be iconic but that doesn't matter anymore. Hell, their fanbase is not as vocal as others anyway. They never have been. Even during the times they were split up, I never recall reading as much complaints from them nor were their reactions as extreme as other fanbases. They seem to go along for the ride, at least for a little awhile.

I just don't think it matters anymore. I don't think Bo and Hope staying together makes or breaks Days. I don't think any character or couple makes or breaks the show on their own. If there is a need for another plan to save Days (and the current plan has been working well for about a year now), then it won't be t because of Bo and Hope or whoever they end up with. I remember a year ago Days was declared dead because it axed J&M and look what has happened. A permanent Bo and Hope split may have hurt the show a decade ago but I doubt it would matter at all now.
Oh, don't get me wrong. I am behind this story as long as it's good. One thing about the Days crowd... if it's not a good story then they'll let you know it. I for one welcome Carly, Justin, Vivian and company back to the canvas because it reminds me of that era (and if they're not trying to bring back lapsed viewers, then why bring all these people back?)...

Hell, like another poster said, Sheri Anderson wasn't afraid to split up Roman and Marlena because of Marlena's love for John and what happened? Turned out to be one of Days' better storylines of the early 1990s!

Just give me a good story and I'll support it. As we've seen with Dena and Chris, that hasn't been the case a lot of the time. And I think that fuels my long-term mistrust with how this will be handled.

magicsteacher
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
sungrey
DrewHamilton

I would agree with a lot of the supercouples ideas. I think Corday has even said he really doesn't embrace that idea anymore-- maybe a moneycouple, but not a supercouple. They are a thing of the 80's and 90's, but I believe that's probably where they will end up staying. I am not sure that Bo and Hope haven't had their day for awhile anyway. They will get enough flack from the fans that they will no doubt get them back together after awhile. They are the only couple left from the "old DAYS" and they need to keep them together to tie new s/l in. Even tho they will get flack, I agree that a permanent split would probably not now affect the outcome of the show that much. Other couples have left-- John and Marlena, Steve and Kayla, etc. and the show is still going strong.
Edited by magicsteacher, Oct 28 2009, 09:42 AM.

Daysfanatic79
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
sungrey
DrewHamilton

I agree with all of this!! I am really, really burned out on "supercouples". Obviously, like you said, the ratings reflect that people want heartfelt, character driven drama. Good story trumps supercouples now.

Watching yesterday (I catch Days via the net at work...) Bo and Carly still have a tinge of chemistry. Peter and Crystal always sold their respective characters well, and as a couple, they got VERY close to supercouple status in the heart of the supercouple era. I personally would like for the show to explore this, and not just for the sake of change.

I never thought a year ago that I would have supported Drake and Deidre's firing. I honestly thought it may destroy the show. I WAS WRONG!!! The show is very good right now. I know some may disagree, but I find the change to be a good one, and this time "The Plan To Save Days" worked. It wasn't announced to the public or realized by the media, but TPTB did get together and work out a plan to keep this show on the air. They gambled that viewers would support a show on the basis of good story and a back to basics focus.

Some say this isn't "Days". Well it's just MY opinion, but as a longtime fan of this show, This is the closest I've come to watching "Days" in a longtime. The story has focus, the show is more character driven, and we have been treated to vets like Maggie, Victor, Stefano, Kate, Bo, Hope, Sami, and I could go on.......

Now we have Carly and Vivian back, and these characters are a HUGE part of this show's history. I've watched Days all my life, and folks, to me, this is "Days of Our Lives" doing what it does best again; Telling a story while not being Hijacked by us fans. For once they had the guts to simply tell a story again, without bowing to a fanbase. It worked.

Kailyn

I agree super couples are a thing of the past and to prove it Days has let two sets go and the ratings didn't plumet to the ground. just because they feel a need to keep Bo and Hope together just for no reason but to try and hang onto the last remaining SC is ridiculous when they drag them through the mud just to reconcile them down the road when things get rough for Days. the damage inflicted on them causes most to careless if they ever reunite. so whats the point. it appears that Bo and Hope have grown apart so let them go let them be with whoever will make them happy. I see alot of life in Carly that could be breathed into Bo .and Hope needs a boring life with a whinner now so Justin seems perfect. what exactly is his purpose on the show anyway? Hope's cheerleader? the man to turn to for moving stuff? he hasn't done anything excpet follow Hope around like a lapdog. just sleep together already and get over it. Hope has changed so much from what she was first playing a feisty fun loving person to this shell of a person she once was she pouts and whines and nags the hell out of everyone around her. just because a couple used to be a super couple doesn't necessarily mean everyone cares to see them stay together just for the sake of staying together. this is a soap for crying outloud give them a final split and move them to some interesting storys.

sungrey

If the show would get off its ass and invite Judi Evans back then you'd have some compelling Justin stuff. Not to mention Justin and Adrienne is history, which is what everyone is embracing. Judi has said she'd love working with Wally again. They don't have to be "together" to generate sparks.

Kailyn

sungrey
Oct 28 2009, 12:16 PM
If the show would get off its ass and invite Judi Evans back then you'd have some compelling Justin stuff. Not to mention Justin and Adrienne is history, which is what everyone is embracing. Judi has said she'd love working with Wally again. They don't have to be "together" to generate sparks.
exactly I mean other wise it appears that Wally was hired to be Hope's personal assistant to her whinning and pouting. whats good about watching that. it's just like days to hire actors because they are available and then have no real agenda for them. in a month Crystal will be in the same postion. Bo and Hope will have reunited leaving an empty gap for Justin and if they continue to have Carly with Bo in every scene then shes bound to be in the same boat as Justin. Vivian is coming back so Crystal might fare better. too many storylines up in the air in a Days juggling act.

sungrey

I think the Hope/Bo estrangement will last longer than a month... lol. But I see what you're saying. I always liked Wally as Justin so I hope they don't leave him twisting in the wind.

Daysfanatic79
Member Avatar

sungrey
Oct 28 2009, 12:16 PM
ITA!!!!

Judi is a great actress and an asset to any show she is on. Not to mention the feisty nature of Adrienne Johnson Kirikas would be a big extra. I would love to see Hope draw close to Justin, and then enter Adrienne down the road to finally put up a fight to save her marriage. When Adrienne starts to fight, watch out!!!

Of all the Days Heroines of the 80's, I'd say I'd favor Kimberly Brady and Adrienne Johnson. Both had spunk, both loved a challenge, and both didn't have a cookie cutter life. They were layered. Kim will probably never come back full time, but Adrienne...two months from now when this is rolling, her entrance could be provocative!

cassie1013

Not a Judi Evans fan. I know it's unfair to judge from one role, but I disliked her so much as Bonnie that I just can't watch her period. I didn't enjoy when she played Adrienne, either (like a couple years ago). Depending on how the Bope story rolls, her entrance could be key....again, depends.

dooldooldool

Wally Kurth is recurring, not on contract, so he could go at any moment. Plus, Justin was brought back mainly because Salem needed an attorney since Mickey is off-screen.

Justin also beefs up the Kiriakis Family. Christmas Dinner could be fun with Victor/Vivian/Justin/Daniel/Chloe/Philip/Brady/Hope/Ciara/Bo/Carly/(Adrienne?). There were some fun dinnertable scenes at the old Kiriakis Mansion with Victor/Kate/Nicole/Lucas/Sami/Austin/Brandon/Philip.

Hope is a lost soul. She has no friends. Her family is decimated. Her son and granddaughter sailed away. Her grandmother went off to London to spend last XMAS with the Deverauxs and hasn't been heard from since. Her father and sister/stepmother are away on months-long cruises. Her half-brother hasn't been seen in Salem since his toddler days. She avoids her husband's family. Her stepdaughter blew into town a few years ago, ran over Zachary Beauregard, then fled to nursemaid Billie and boink her uncle in London. The mother of Ciara's best friend -- the only non-family member in the mix -- lost her in the park and allowed the bumbling trio to kidnap the tyke. The woman needs some therapy!

Since we are proclaiming the end of the SuperCouple, wouldn't it be interesting if Bo and Carly clicked again and Adrienne returned from Dubai to run the Cheating Heart and reunite with Justin. Hope would have no man in her life and be at wits end. Maybe DOOL could actually write a 40-something woman battling the world as a single mom, not dependent on any man to take care of her. Naw, too realistic......
Edited by dooldooldool, Oct 29 2009, 02:32 AM.

sungrey

You know, you might be right. Hope just might need some therapy and maybe this is a part of the overall story. Interesting!

I won't proclaim the era of the supercouple over. The endgame should still be Bo and Hope -- hopefully -- even if it's a year down the road.

And cassie, I hear you about Bonnie. I loooove Judi Evans but I could NOT stand that character. I guess it's my disgust and contempt for the second Reilly go-round showing through. She's much better as Adrienne, and if they'd let her play the Adrienne from the late 1980s and early 1990s then you'll see how good she can be. Just my two cents. :)

leela46
Member Avatar

I hope Adrienne never comes back. I hated that character. If the show does go with Bo and Carly then I think Hope and Justin might be an interesting pairing.

Chelikins
Member Avatar

I used to love Bo and Hope... I don't like Hope anymore

King
Member Avatar

I am four weeks behind, but I have been catching up nicely. I absolutely LOVE DAYS right now. More than I probably have since 2007 ish. I think it is very good right now. I am excited for the fall.

With that said, these are the worst previews ever. He basically mapped out the entire storylines for all of the plots! LOL. Lame, Corday!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply