Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOD Best & Worst -- 1987
Topic Started: Nov 14 2009, 12:58 PM (1,859 Views)
Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

BEST DAYTIME SHOW

AS THE WORLD TURNS
AS THE WORLD TURNS socked it to its audience this year, delivering major revelations -- Lily's discovery that Iva was her natural mother -- with gusto, and celebrating the offbeat in romance (Barbara/Hal/Margo) and marriage (John/Lucinda; Casey/Lyla). They even had identical half sisters (Frannie/Sabrina) dueling over the same man. As a family drama, ATWT distinguished itself with the rescue of Andy's girlfriend from a drug overdose by the Teenage Hotline, which happened "live" on Kim's new television show. We will forgive ATWT for the prolonged Falcon story if they promise that James Stenbeck is truly and most sincerely dead.

Douglas Marland had once again introduced two new complex characters -- Josh Snyder and Sabrina Fullerton. Related to core families, they became surprising, pivotal figures in the lives of several characters. In fact, Marland's gift for throwing a new perspective on whole families and stories simply by mixing up character combinations (uniting the Walshes and John Dixon's children; intertwining the investigation of the Falcon with events in the personal lives of the police) is his strong suit. However, vastly underestemating the intelligence and fortitude of Lucinda Walsh (she never would have danced to James Stenbeck's blackmail tune) was a mistake.

ATWT earns consistently high marks for creating stories for all of its thirty-eight cast members and for its plot construction: the show is often unpredictable. ATWT's dynamic ensemble cast has the advantage of looking like real people, not models, thereby removing it from teh criticism regularly leveled at soaps by their detractors. Executive producer Robert Calhoun and company richly deserved their 1987 Best Show Emmy and the future looks great.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

juniorz1
Member Avatar
The Royal Stoner

Can I get a 1988? Let's Hear a 1988!!!!!

esp13
Member Avatar

I'll second that request.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Unfortunately, I can't seem to find 1988. lol I know I bought it at the time, but in my piles and piles of old SODs (and that's probably an understatement), I can't seem to find it. I do have 1989, however....

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Soap Opera History & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply