Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOD Best & Worst -- 2003
Topic Started: Nov 29 2009, 06:38 PM (1,653 Views)
DesignatedShelley
Member Avatar

Logan2010
Nov 30 2009, 04:52 PM
Mason
Nov 29 2009, 07:56 PM
WORST WEDDING

JACK AND JENNIFER, DAYS OF OUR LIVES

What should have been one of the most romantic moments of 2003 turned out to be its most disappointing. Instead of the lavish, week-long weddings DAYS usually produces, Jack and Jen's second-time-around nuptials were crammed into one episode. The vows were cut short, the reception was quick and you never saw the Deverauxes on their honeymoon. Having Jamie Lyn Bauer back as Laura was a highlight, but the absence of Jen's father, Bill, and brother Mike was glaring. (Half-brother Lucas was an able stand-in, but when Jack turned up dead five months later, did it seem plausible that his best man offed him? Um, no.) Perhaps the biggest slap, though, was that the wedding played second fiddle to the fact that it was being aired in Salem on Jack and Jen's show IN THE HOUSE. That's just bad programming all around.
I didn't know their second wedding was bad compared to their great first wedding in 1991. Jack and Jennifer remarry in May 2003 until Jack was presumably killed by the Salem Stalker that October. Jack was soon alive along with the other victims the following year and he and Jen have reunited ever since they now left town in 2006.
It was pretty disappointing, in addition to the things SOD stated the dialog was utterly banal (the music and setting too, though the budget's an issue there). J&J should never be as trite and Hallmark lovey dovey as they were under Higley. Also it was rushed in terms of placement in their overall storyline. And on a superficial note - Jennifer's dress? Ummm.

I know, I know. Cry moar. It's just the first time they used that poem, it was so beautiful. Second time? So banal.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Checkers
Member Avatar

Mason
Nov 30 2009, 08:50 PM
BEST SHOW

THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS

The traditional 30th-anniversary gift is pearls, but Y&R deserves the gold - Emmy gold, that is. Executive Producer David Shaughnessy and Co-Executive Producer/Co-Head Writer Jack Smith have kept the strong storytelling tradition of Creator William J. Bell alive, while making changes that bolstered the action. To wit, the decision to cross-pollinate the landscape: Back in the day, many storylines were self-contained arcs, and some characters rarely - if ever - crossed paths. But now that stories have been opened up and intersected, magic - like the sparkling chemistry between Phyllis and Drucilla - has occurred.

Long-standing characters evolved in believable ways: We saw how neglect in his childhood led Victor to become a ruthless tycoon; doormat Sharon finally had enough and stood up to monster-in-law Nikki; Nicholas got out from under Victor's shadow, oblivious to the fact that his methods only proved he is his father's son; and attention-hungry Brittany stripped to spice up her life.

Y&R has always heeded its own history, and this year's crop of well-crafted, nuanced tales paid tribute to the show's rich past. Long-time business rivals Jack and Victor squared off again with the Tuvia versus Safra tale - but this round of antagonism not only pitted Newman against Jabot, it encompassed nearly half the canvas, as husbands competed with wives, brothers were pitted against sisters and children rebelled against parents. The corporate combat was especially riveting because of its human toll. Ashley's car accident on launch day resulted in the loss of her and Brad's unborn son, and the boardroom battle left Jack and Phyllis's marriage in tatters.

Multigenerational stories have always been a hallmark of Y&R, and unlike many other soaps, here they're still front-and-center. Case in point: The revelation that Katherine and Jill are mother and daughter put a shocking spin on one of daytime's longest-running feuds. Y&R also mixed familiar faces with new blood by bringing back such fan favorites as Danny and Liz, while incorporating dynamic new characters like Damon, Bobby and Kevin.

Spectacular events. Compelling stories. Complex, layered characters. Snappy dialogue. Each of these unique pearls, when strung together, produces a result that's precious: THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS.
Yes! Y&R was so good that year. I miss that Y&R so badly.

Manny
Member Avatar

Checkers
Dec 6 2010, 05:31 AM
Mason
Nov 30 2009, 08:50 PM
BEST SHOW

THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS

The traditional 30th-anniversary gift is pearls, but Y&R deserves the gold - Emmy gold, that is. Executive Producer David Shaughnessy and Co-Executive Producer/Co-Head Writer Jack Smith have kept the strong storytelling tradition of Creator William J. Bell alive, while making changes that bolstered the action. To wit, the decision to cross-pollinate the landscape: Back in the day, many storylines were self-contained arcs, and some characters rarely - if ever - crossed paths. But now that stories have been opened up and intersected, magic - like the sparkling chemistry between Phyllis and Drucilla - has occurred.

Long-standing characters evolved in believable ways: We saw how neglect in his childhood led Victor to become a ruthless tycoon; doormat Sharon finally had enough and stood up to monster-in-law Nikki; Nicholas got out from under Victor's shadow, oblivious to the fact that his methods only proved he is his father's son; and attention-hungry Brittany stripped to spice up her life.

Y&R has always heeded its own history, and this year's crop of well-crafted, nuanced tales paid tribute to the show's rich past. Long-time business rivals Jack and Victor squared off again with the Tuvia versus Safra tale - but this round of antagonism not only pitted Newman against Jabot, it encompassed nearly half the canvas, as husbands competed with wives, brothers were pitted against sisters and children rebelled against parents. The corporate combat was especially riveting because of its human toll. Ashley's car accident on launch day resulted in the loss of her and Brad's unborn son, and the boardroom battle left Jack and Phyllis's marriage in tatters.

Multigenerational stories have always been a hallmark of Y&R, and unlike many other soaps, here they're still front-and-center. Case in point: The revelation that Katherine and Jill are mother and daughter put a shocking spin on one of daytime's longest-running feuds. Y&R also mixed familiar faces with new blood by bringing back such fan favorites as Danny and Liz, while incorporating dynamic new characters like Damon, Bobby and Kevin.

Spectacular events. Compelling stories. Complex, layered characters. Snappy dialogue. Each of these unique pearls, when strung together, produces a result that's precious: THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS.
I agree! It was brilliiant! I loved Safra vs Tuvia storyline! And the Gala was amazing. I miss this Y&R. I wish Jack Smith would come back. He did have some bad moves as well, but overall I think he did a good job. OR lets bring Kay Alden back!

Checkers
Member Avatar

Manny
Dec 6 2010, 06:34 AM
Checkers
Dec 6 2010, 05:31 AM[quote
I agree! It was brilliiant! I loved Safra vs Tuvia storyline! And the Gala was amazing. I miss this Y&R. I wish Jack Smith would come back. He did have some bad moves as well, but overall I think he did a good job. OR lets bring Kay Alden back!

I'll take either. Though Jack Smith did do a number on the Sharon character and at the time she was my favorite. She's never really recovered from Jack Smith's writing.

blueskies
Member Avatar

Mason
Nov 29 2009, 08:12 PM
MOST TORTURED COUPLE

LUIS AND SHERIDAN, PASSIONS

No surprise here. This marks the third year Sheridan and Luis take this category, a soap classic. In 2000, their own stubbornness kept them apart. In 2002, Sheridan was presumed dead. And this year, well, she was stuck in a pit.

When 2003 began, the lovers planned to elope to save Sheridan from a loveless marriage to Luis's brother, Antonio. However, Luis's fiancee, Beth, thwarted their plan. Sheridan wed Antonio - then found out that she was expecting Luis's child. Beth teamed up with Charlie (really Sheridan's evil dad, Alistair, in disguise) to kidnap the Crane heiress and pass the baby off as her own. After months of searching for his missing soul mate (who was right under his nose), Luis (a cop!) rescued the drowning damsel. Now that Antonio finally knows the truth about their love, there's hope that the nail-biting anticipation is nearly over. In the meantime, viewers deserve the Most Patient Fans award!
LOVED this year for Sheridan and Luis! Tortured, heck yes, but it was awesome. Just one beef to contend with. Sheridan was in that water for like two weeks, our time, :lol: And what looked like HOURS their time. How in the world did she survive?? If this had been DOOL this would really bother me. Since it was Passions though, it's only a slight question mark.

Overall I agree with the DOOL and Passions best/worst here. There wasn't one that really stood out that felt completely wrong.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Soap Opera History & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply