Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
Venice: Discussion Thread (Archived)
Topic Started: Dec 4 2009, 11:39 PM (4,377 Views)
Kenny
Member Avatar

The first episode has been posted.

Thoughts?
Online Profile Goto Top

Kenny
Member Avatar

I'm so disappointed that I have to pay $9.99 to watch the rest of the season. I understand the need for funding, but I wish they had told us about the subscription cost a little earlier.

Anyway, the first episode was good. Way too short (seriously -- if I'm gonna pay ten bucks to watch this show, I want the installments to be longer than six minutes) but Jessica Leccia and Crystal Chappell were engaging together. Their characters are interesting and their relationship seems interestingly complicated. Lesbians usually do nothing for me, but Crystal and Jessica really do have a nice chemistry. Two minutes in and I was already feeling the heat.

I'd like to watch the rest of the season, but I'm too damn broke to afford a spare ten bucks right now, LoL.
Online Profile Goto Top

Mason
Member Avatar

Well that was dull. If that was supposed to entice me to pay $10 to watch future episodes, epic fail. Call me crazy, but a first episode should give you a good idea of what the show is about and make you want to keep watching - this did neither for me. I probably wouldn't even keep watching if the episodes were free.
Edited by Mason, Dec 5 2009, 01:44 AM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Chloe
Member Avatar

So the installments are only 6 minutes? I thought that the show would be at least 30 minutes to an hour like our daytime dramas. That kind of seems like a waste. I'll check it out later when I have more time. :laugh:
Offline Profile Goto Top

Harmony233

I think they should have at least has season 1 be free to let there audience grow and then maybe done the subscription thing in season 2.
Online Profile Goto Top

aimees76
Member Avatar

I was bored and disappointed, to be honest. It really didn't entice me at all. The production looked nice, but that was about it.
Offline Profile Goto Top

BillieD
Member Avatar

LMAO- Talk about a waste of 6 minutes of my time.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Alana
Member Avatar

omg...talk about "much ado about nothing"! All the hype for 6 minutes of nothingness? 6 MINUTES? Well at least the Ottalia fans got their kiss.

Don't get me wrong, I was full of anticipation and looking forward to this webshow (I'm not a CC fan but do like her), even willing to pay for watching, but if this premiere was supposed to get me interested or hooked in any way...huge failure!! I'm glad I didn't have to pay to watch GG trying to act today, but to have to pay to watch NB..no way...my 10 bucks and more will definitely go to a worthier cause.

Offline Profile Goto Top

Ally
Member Avatar
The Royal Princess

That was pretty good...but sigh.. $10 for the season?! :(

Offline Profile Goto Top

~bl~
Member Avatar

I found it just alright (as just someone who like JL/CC, but not an Otalia shipper), but I can understand why those who love JL/CC working together would be enthused. I wonder how many people outside of those who love CC and JL working together will be willing to pay for the series.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

before I even bother ... does more happen in this one than (queue the organ!!!) a guest arriving to a party?
Offline Profile Goto Top

Mason
Member Avatar

Drew
Dec 5 2009, 11:11 PM
before I even bother ... does more happen in this one than (queue the organ!!!) a guest arriving to a party?
Less, actually, LoL.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Halloween Family
Member Avatar

TFP.

I don't know what an Otalia is but it seemed ok, CC and the other girl have chemisty. Normally, I think CC is disarmingly sexy but she looked a little rough. GG was between ok & good. However, I HAVE NO IDEA what this show is about.
Offline Profile Goto Top

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

I think the music, production values, writing and acting were all wayyyyyy better than Gotham. (And not just because it was longer)

But I don't see why anyone but a diehard Otalia shipper would pay money for this. It's also really weird for a first episode and only to feature three (or four?) members of the cast. Maybe if I wasn't so sick of Galen Gering on Days I could have been more pulled in by this, or if they had even gone with CC and JL doing something with Michael Sabatino, Lesli Kay or Hillary B Smith I'd be more intrigued.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Tammy
Member Avatar

I forgot to watch and now I don't even know if I will bother lol.

Also who or what the hell is Otalia? lmao
Offline Profile Goto Top

Mason
Member Avatar

♥ Tammy ♥
Dec 6 2009, 12:07 AM
LoL! "Otalia" was/is the couple name for Crystal Chappell and Jessica Leccia's characters, Olivia and Natalia, on GL.
Offline Profile Goto Top

AlteredStates

~bl~
Dec 5 2009, 09:40 PM
I wonder how many people outside of those who love CC and JL working together will be willing to pay for the series.
Hardly any I would guess. If I weren't a CC/JL fan, I wouldn't pony up myself. I think the Venice team has calculated, rightly or wrongly, that the Otalia fanbase is large and devoted enough to provide at least the underpinnings of a sustainable business model. Time will tell . . .
Offline Profile Goto Top

Tammy
Member Avatar

Mason
Dec 6 2009, 12:11 AM
♥ Tammy ♥
Dec 6 2009, 12:07 AM
LoL! "Otalia" was/is the couple name for Crystal Chappell and Jessica Leccia's characters, Olivia and Natalia, on GL.
I figured it was one of those couple names lol.

So does this show have any kind of premise? Or is it like totally random?
Offline Profile Goto Top

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

AlteredStates
Dec 6 2009, 12:14 AM
~bl~
Dec 5 2009, 09:40 PM
I wonder how many people outside of those who love CC and JL working together will be willing to pay for the series.
Hardly any I would guess. If I weren't a CC/JL fan, I wouldn't pony up myself. I think the Venice team has calculated, rightly or wrongly, that the Otalia fanbase is large and devoted enough to provide at least the underpinnings of a sustainable business model. Time will tell . . .
I wonder if the plan was to make the first season besides the first epi for-pay all along or their gift shop stuff was selling well enough they decided to charge for this?

Offline Profile Goto Top

AlteredStates

IMissAremid
Dec 6 2009, 12:47 AM
I wonder if the plan was to make the first season besides the first epi for-pay all along or their gift shop stuff was selling well enough they decided to charge for this?

From what I gather the decision to go the subscription route was fairly recent. Earlier on they tried, and obviously failed, to attract sponsorship. They used the gift shop proceeds to finance production aspects of Season 1, and they plan to use the subscription revenue to fund subsequent seasons.

I hope they haven't given up on finding a sponsor, even though it can't be easy in this economy.
Edited by Mason, Dec 6 2009, 02:37 AM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Web Soaps Discussion · Next Topic »
Locked Topic