Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
Venice: Discussion Thread (Archived)
Topic Started: Dec 4 2009, 11:39 PM (4,403 Views)
cassie1013

Yeah, what's this Otalia shit everyone keeps talking about? Crystal herself mentioned it in an interview... Oh nevermind. So Crystal played a lesbian on Guiding Light? Haven't watched that show a day in my life, so guess I missed that. Isn't a little lame to type cast yourself, though?

That was sufficiently lame. I went a little high school for the first minute, had to LOL at the two randoms making out.

Poor marketing, charging for season 1. I would get people hooked, then charge, and try and fund on ad sales as much as possible for S1...only GL fans will pay, IMO.

I'm confused as to who Galen Gering was playing..her friend? brother? ex?
Offline Profile Goto Top

into_the_skyline
Member Avatar

Soaps were 15 minutes to start, so maybe 12 or 13 minutes with commercials. They managed to do a lot more and the episodes felt more complete than this. Like with Gotham it sort of ends and I'm like "What?" I hope this is something these websoaps can improve upon. It feels like one long episode cut in the segments, which it is, but it shouldn't feel that way if presented in 6minute episodes. Not sure it has "tune in tomorrow" quality either. If I didn't know Otalia I wouldn't understand the purpose of the show. For the first episode they should've set up the seasons story arc better. Maybe show the two girls reuniting and explain their lives or relationship better so you could understand Galen Gering's response. He was let down by thin writing this episode. Not sure if he should've been the third person featured considering what they've shown us so far.

Of course I do plan on paying the $10, but only because I'm a hardcore soap fan and I want to see if it's successful and can sustain for another season.

The song featured was TERRIBLE. Melodramatic indie crap. It reminded me of GL. I do like the theme song featured in the teaser, but not what was in this ep. These web soaps are too short to have music with words. I'd much prefer a score whether it be traditional or not.
Offline Profile Goto Top

AlteredStates

Some background on Venice and the Otalia connection:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/25/arts/television/25otalia.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDim1i-iyWk

I think they were forced into adopting the subscription model because they came up empty on the sponsorship front. No funding, no Season 2.

The Otalia fanbase is large and rabid, so subscription may actually pan out in the case of Venice. I doubt that even a free Venice would have attracted a mainstream audience.

Offline Profile Goto Top

~bl~
Member Avatar

Yup Crystal played a character who was straight and fell in love with a woman. They were never allowed to be intimate on screen, except for one kiss, which was solely done for shock factor. Crystal's character kissed Jessica Leccia's character, because Jessica's character didn't realize that people thought they were lesbians. The pairing developed a huge following, which seemed to be mainly people who weren't soap fans. If they were mainly long term GL fans, I'd be stunned as many seemed to like TPTB until it came out that GL wasn't going to allow Olivia and Natalia to kiss again.

If the show had more episodes that were free, I bet more people would be willing to pay, as the fans of the other actors in the show weren't even seen.

Galen Gering was playing Crystal's brother.
Offline Profile Goto Top

King
Member Avatar

Do they really expect me to pay for this? Pass! Sorry, Crystal! Still love you though.

It's not bad. In fact, I do like it. But I won't be paying for it.

God, I really hope online is NOT the future of soaps.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Mason
Member Avatar

King
Dec 6 2009, 10:12 PM
God, I really hope online is NOT the future of soaps.
DITTO. Though, at least if it is, I know I'll have a lot more free time on my hands when that day comes.
Offline Profile Goto Top

King
Member Avatar

Hahaha.

I wish they could do soaps on DVD...I just don't see how.

I'd much rather watch Sunset Beach or JER's DAYS on DVD than watch current/future soaps.
Edited by King, Dec 6 2009, 10:22 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

cassie1013

I think they're overdoing the gay thing. Crystal said it wasn't a gay web series, but 5 characters are gay (the other otalia chick, crystal's character, nadia bjorlin from dool, the gay guy who owns the coffee shop and that lesli kay chick). This show is definitely going for a niche audience... like The L Word 2.0, but online. I have no problem with gay people, but from a marketing perspective, I think this is a huge mistake...they're probably going to alienate the majority of 'traditional' day time viewers.

Crystal should have played bi to mix it up a bit.

ETA: meant to say gay web series up there.
Edited by cassie1013, Dec 7 2009, 01:33 AM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

~bl~
Member Avatar

King & Mason glad I am not the only one who doesn't want the future of soaps to be solely on-line. Seriously the technology isn't there yet, and until that happens I don't want to be stuck at a computer to watch all my television for hours each day.

Wish soaps would be on DVD too, then I could watch comfortably.
Offline Profile Goto Top

cassie1013

~bl~
Dec 7 2009, 12:05 AM
King & Mason glad I am not the only one who doesn't want the future of soaps to be solely on-line. Seriously the technology isn't there yet, and until that happens I don't want to be stuck at a computer to watch all my television for hours each day.

Wish soaps would be on DVD too, then I could watch comfortably.
That's so funny, because I am beyond over watching soaps on TV. I just can't do it. I find that I'm conditioned to the commercial free 36 minutes vs. 1 hour now. It's more time effective for me to let episodes of DOOL build up, then just block off a couple hours before bed and tune in!
Offline Profile Goto Top

cassie1013

King
Dec 6 2009, 10:22 PM
Hahaha.

I wish they could do soaps on DVD...I just don't see how.

I'd much rather watch Sunset Beach or JER's DAYS on DVD than watch current/future soaps.
I guess it would have to be by storyline, but even that's a serious challenge.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Mason
Member Avatar

King
That would be amazing. Actually, I thought I'd read quite a while ago that Sunset Beach had been or was in the process of being released on DVD in some foreign country....though, I could have totally just made that up, LoL!
Offline Profile Goto Top

Mason
Member Avatar

cassie1013
I think GL awakened a dormant lesbian itch inside of her.
Offline Profile Goto Top

~bl~
Member Avatar

I watch soaps on television, but DVRed, so no ads unless I want to watch them.

The cast of characters on Venice are mainly lesbians as Hillary B Smith's character is one too, along with the cameo Tina Sloan did. Gina Tognoni's character is dating Galen's so she should be straight, and I have no idea about the sexuality of Crystal C's character's assistant. Jordan Clarke's character as Crystal's dad is straight, as is Galen being her brother.
Offline Profile Goto Top

AlteredStates

~bl~
Dec 7 2009, 12:16 AM
The cast of characters on Venice are mainly lesbians as Hillary B Smith's character is one too, along with the cameo Tina Sloan did.
The cast bios do not identify the HBS and TS characters as gay or straight (in fact, both were or are married to men). But whether those two characters turn out to be straight, gay, or bi, Venice is definitely catering to a niche audience. Five of its 12 characters are gay and four of those gay characters (played by CC, JL, LK, and NB) are the show's main characters.
Offline Profile Goto Top

cassie1013

Mason
Dec 7 2009, 12:09 AM
cassie1013
I think GL awakened a dormant lesbian itch inside of her.
That much is definitely obvious.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Taelyn

If I end up watching at all I will probably wait till atleast half the seaon has aired so I can watch more than 6 minutes of show.. Heck even old Days cliups are longer then that. I cant get reeled in if I only have a few minutes, even 30 minutes seems short but I could accept that. If it was an entertaining 30 minute show I would gladly pay the 10 bucks. I know production costs have to be covered.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Taelyn

Mason
Dec 7 2009, 12:08 AM
King
That would be amazing. Actually, I thought I'd read quite a while ago that Sunset Beach had been or was in the process of being released on DVD in some foreign country....though, I could have totally just made that up, LoL!
OMG .. They would make so much money if they sold full seasons of Days over the last 30 odd years.. So many people would buy them , for themslve and their Mothers and Grandmothers.. what awesome gifts they would make.

Are you listening Sony/NBC/K Corday ????????
Offline Profile Goto Top

~bl~
Member Avatar

Here is an extreme sarcastic blog review of Venice I found roaming the net.

http://vwreck.wordpress.com/2009/12/07/venice-episode-1-the-awkward-kiss/
Offline Profile Goto Top

Tammy
Member Avatar

Here is another promo thingy... unless its old lol

Offline Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
ZetaBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Web Soaps Discussion · Next Topic »
Locked Topic