Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Weekly Discussion: Dec. 7th - Dec. 11th
Topic Started: Dec 6 2009, 06:37 PM (5,995 Views)
Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

six
Dec 13 2009, 10:04 PM
Matt
Dec 13 2009, 09:50 PM
ladyofthelake
Dec 13 2009, 09:45 PM
Matt
Dec 13 2009, 09:37 PM

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep
Noooo, Matt! Don't drink the Kool-Aid! LOL
So funny how these conversations turn out! And the Sami compared to Tab. I used to drink Original Recipe Tab back in the dark ages. Yuck. Fresca was better.
But, yeah, matt, water beats all. But I love the Sami/Tab comparison. That pretty well sums it up.
I had an aunt who drank Tab religiously. I cringe at the little reminders of the fact that I'm getting old like the other day when I mentioned returning glass bottles to the grocery and getting money for them so the bottlers could refill them. All the young 20somethings I work with were like "recycling?" and I tried to explain that it was similar in concept, but the literally reused the bottles. I'm still not sure I managed to convince them that Coke bottles used to be glass, you could get the glass bottles out of a machine, and you could return the bottles for money.
They reused the bottles? How long ago was this? Not that I'm doubting you, btw. This is just something I don't remember, probably due to age.
I know they were still doing this at least as late as the early 1980s. Growing up, whatever soda we had in the house was either 2 Litres or cartons of soda in glass bottles. Everybody had a bottle opener in their kitchen. You always saved the glass bottles and took them back to the store where you turned them in for a deposit. The store would collect the bottles and send them back to the bottler where they would wash and sterilize them and refill & recap them. Considering today's trend of "reduce, reuse, recycle" I'm honestly surprised there hasn't been a movement to go back to glass bottles.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Cupcake06

Oh God. Tab? Absolutely disgusting.

Matt...lol. I've probably had more than a handful of sodas in the last 8 hours.

angmc
Member Avatar

Matt
Dec 13 2009, 10:16 PM
six
Matt
ladyofthelake

I had an aunt who drank Tab religiously. I cringe at the little reminders of the fact that I'm getting old like the other day when I mentioned returning glass bottles to the grocery and getting money for them so the bottlers could refill them. All the young 20somethings I work with were like "recycling?" and I tried to explain that it was similar in concept, but the literally reused the bottles. I'm still not sure I managed to convince them that Coke bottles used to be glass, you could get the glass bottles out of a machine, and you could return the bottles for money.
They reused the bottles? How long ago was this? Not that I'm doubting you, btw. This is just something I don't remember, probably due to age.
I know they were still doing this at least as late as the early 1980s. Growing up, whatever soda we had in the house was either 2 Litres or cartons of soda in glass bottles. Everybody had a bottle opener in their kitchen. You always saved the glass bottles and took them back to the store where you turned them in for a deposit. The store would collect the bottles and send them back to the bottler where they would wash and sterilize them and refill & recap them. Considering today's trend of "reduce, reuse, recycle" I'm honestly surprised there hasn't been a movement to go back to glass bottles.
Some of this is starting to sound vaguely familiar..but I didn't drink much soda growing up...But if I see Coke in those old time glass bottles I buy them at every chance!! :drunk:

Alligato
Member Avatar

Matt - do you remember that Tab used to have the big warning "Tab contains saccarhine which causes cancer in laboratory rats" written on the side of the can?
My cousins and I still laugh at that because my maw maw used to drink the crap like it was going out of style...and it was. She didn't die of cancer, but at her funeral, we toasted her with Tab. LOL! Good times!
That shit is nasty though.

Aside from the Coke Zero, I am a big water girl!
Edited by Alligato, Dec 13 2009, 11:02 PM.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Alligato
Dec 13 2009, 11:01 PM
Matt - do you remember that Tab used to have the big warning "Tab contains saccarhine which causes cancer in laboratory rats" written on the side of the can?
My cousins and I still laugh at that because my maw maw used to drink the crap like it was going out of style...and it was. She didn't die of cancer, but at her funeral, we toasted her with Tab. LOL! Good times!
That shit is nasty though.

Aside from the Coke Zero, I am a big water girl!
Once those saccarhine reports came out, that was the beginning of the end of Tab. I know they reformulated it with Nutrasweet, but it wasn't the same and Coca-Cola had launched Diet Coke which pretty much replaced Tab in all of Coke's advertising towards the diet market. I remember the days when your key choices for diet soda was Tab, Diet Pepsi, and Diet Rite.

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

ladyofthelake
Dec 13 2009, 08:13 PM
cassie1013
Dec 13 2009, 06:26 PM
Kenny
Dec 13 2009, 03:28 PM
You know, the more I see Sami in scenes with Rafe and EJ, the more I wonder why anybody roots for her to be with anyone. I don't care how the writers try to mold the character. Sami Brady is not a rootable romantic heroine. Not in her truest form. I understand that she's "grown" and "evolved," but she's been with so many men at this point that I just don't care who she's with anymore.
Yep, agreed. It's annoying how she declares everyone as her "one true love"- and also confusing on the viewers part. When I started watching DAYS, Sami was so obsessed with Austin, so I found I was always rooting for them...then frustrated when I realized they weren't the rooting couple, at all! Anyway yeah, too many love interests at this point.

I like Sami and Lucus at this point. I think Sami and EJ are just too little too late, plus, like I said before, EJ would be lowering his standards for her. Sami's not that hot, and she has no style. I can't figure out why he'd be attracted to her. He can do better.
Gads, I hope I never hear "one true love", or "soulmate" on this show ever again. :puke:
Oh, honey, you're watching the wrong show then, lol!

I find Sami utterly unrootable as well. Hypocritical, glittery, badly dressed, uneducated, unemployed . . . I have no idea what anyone sees in her. I find all her pairings totally non-credible; there isn't a guy on the show I don't think could do better. I'm hoping the Vivian/Carly story really picks up steam soon because the Days of Sami's Life is getting unwatchable for me. It's sad, because she used to be one of my favorite characters, and for the last two years I've barely been able to stomach her.

Deleted User
Deleted User

Water? Coke? It's called VODKA people. :shame:
Quote Post Goto Top

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Amello
Dec 13 2009, 11:20 PM
I thought for you it was only Apple Juice.

In a sippy cup.

Deleted User
Deleted User

Matt
Dec 13 2009, 11:25 PM
Amello

In a sippy cup.
That is after the vodka
Quote Post Goto Top

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Amello
Matt
Amello

In a sippy cup.
That is after the vodka
Everyone make note that Melly Cyrus DID NOT DENY the presence of a sippy cup.

The prosecution rests, your honor.
Edited by Matt, Dec 13 2009, 11:28 PM.

Deleted User
Deleted User

Matt
Dec 13 2009, 11:28 PM
Amello
Matt
Amello

In a sippy cup.
That is after the vodka

Secrets don't make friends ;)
Quote Post Goto Top

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Amello
Dec 13 2009, 11:31 PM
Matt
Amello
Matt

That is after the vodka

Are you drunk again? Isn't it past your bedtime?

Deleted User
Deleted User

Matt
Dec 13 2009, 11:32 PM
Amello
Dec 13 2009, 11:31 PM
Matt
Amello

Are you drunk again? Isn't it past your bedtime?
Please, if I was drunk, it's only 11:30 ish, meaning I'd still be in the process of getting even more drunk due to the earliness of the current time.
Quote Post Goto Top

Halloween Family
Member Avatar

Matt
Coke in glass bottles is THE BEST! I remember that time. Now when you recycle they break the glass and I guess re-melt it. You can still get Coke in glass at Costco and ethnic markets.

Sami has always been the reason why I tune in to Days. There's always been periods where she sucks, hopefully now it's just a phase. If I had my wish, Sami would be evil but right now I don't see her as a heroine. The only hero figure I see is Rafe.
Edited by Halloween Family, Dec 13 2009, 11:46 PM.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Going back to Friday's episode...I loved how they had Bo effected by the kidnapping and mentioned Ciara's kidnapping. Nice touch and Peter played that well. It was also nice to see Bo helping in the search and him having scenes with Sami.

So many great character interactions on Friday. There were so many characters on and I can't recall the last time we had this many on. It was great.

Loved how they explained whatever happened to John Aniston by having Victor have an accident with Ciara. I loved his scenes with Philip and Vivian. I also love what they are doing with Victor and Philip and it was great to see Viv interacting with Melanie. Loved her "hip" comment LOL.

It's so great that they've had Maggie and Carly sharing scenes. Both could use a friend. I like how awkward things were with those two and Bo and loved their interaction with Justin and love Justin being an asshole. It's like they finally went and looked back at him in the old days and took a look at his smirking this time around and decided to just let him fully embrace being an ass LOL. I love it. The way he is pissing off Bo, Carly, and even making people like Maggie feel uncomfortable is great. The ending with Carly. Daniel, and Justin was also very good and classic soap.

The Bo and Vivian scene was neat too. LS and PR rocked that.

Nadia looks fantastic with her new hairstyle. I liked the tension-filled scenes with her, Daniel, Nathan, and Melanie but Chloe sure was a cold bitch to just leave poor Nathan there like that. Loved Philip and Melanie's back and forth.

EJ vs Stefano was great (loved the "EJ put the house in his name" tidbit) and loved Stefano and Kate's scenes. I like how they are making all the suspects so suspicious. How cute was little Sydney when the phone rang? She just made the most adorable sound and perked her head up. For me, you could tell who the mystery woman who has Sydney was. The person tried to disguise their voice but even if they didn't know, it was obvious to me.

The only part of the show I hated was the Sami and EJ scenes. The way he tried to explain his plan was stupid. Why didn't he just come right out and tell Sami what he wanted her to do? It was like a whole bunch of rambling about staying in the house and crap. I just hated the way it was presented. All he had to say was "Hey, Samantha. Go be yourself and annoy my father into submission. K? Thanks!" Could've saved us some airtime LOL.

Halloween Family
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Dec 14 2009, 01:44 AM
The only part of the show I hated was the Sami and EJ scenes. The way he tried to explain his plan was stupid. Why didn't he just come right out and tell Sami what he wanted her to do? It was like a whole bunch of rambling about staying in the house and crap. I just hated the way it was presented. All he had to say was "Hey, Samantha. Go be yourself and annoy my father into submission. K? Thanks!" Could've saved us some airtime LOL.
Yup! This scene was so weird that I thought it was a fantasy sequence.

SoapGal1
Member Avatar

Just had to respond to the "coke in glass bottles" discussion. Yes, I remember those days! My parents always let me collect the bottles and then return them for the money. Some were only 5 cents while other bottles were worth 10 cents. That was the start of recycling. Oh, and yes tab was nasty to me back in the day, but I'm a diet coke drinker now, so go figure!! To this day, if I see a coke in a glass bottle it makes my mouth water. Those were absolutely the best cokes!!!

And as for this week's days.......wasn't near as impressed as I've been in previous weeks. Did enjoy Stefano and Kate and Victor's little one liners, but the rest has me growing weary. Don't think Stefano or EJ is behind the kidnapping......to easy and too many red herrings. Not sure who I think it is though.

I have to admit, as much as I love Sami, she is wearing on my nerves these days. I'm tired of the "heroine" character tptb are trying to make her into. I understand that she's older and she needs to mature some, but she could still be a schemer. Look at Kate or Vivian. They've tried to change Sami too much and it's done damage to her character IMO.

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

JANALH
Dec 14 2009, 10:20 AM
Just had to respond to the "coke in glass bottles" discussion. Yes, I remember those days! My parents always let me collect the bottles and then return them for the money. Some were only 5 cents while other bottles were worth 10 cents. That was the start of recycling. Oh, and yes tab was nasty to me back in the day, but I'm a diet coke drinker now, so go figure!! To this day, if I see a coke in a glass bottle it makes my mouth water. Those were absolutely the best cokes!!!
You can still buy Coke (and sometimes Dr. Peppers) in the six oz glass bottles, and around here we can buy Mexican Coke in glass bottles. I've never had the Mexican version but I've been told it's still sweetened with sugar and not corn syrup. I don't drink regular Cokes at all and think all the diet Coke products are inferior; diet Dr. Pepper and Diet Rite are where it's at, but I so agree anything in a glass bottle tastes better.

Quote:

Not to mention the acting was really bad in that scene. JS was just waving his hands all over the place and jumping like a cheerleader and and AS was just over the top breathlessly amazed at the sheer genius of the plan. It was just completely weirdly written, directed and acted.

six
Member Avatar

Matt
Dec 13 2009, 10:16 PM
six
Matt
ladyofthelake

Okay, I was born around that time, so no wonder I've never heard of this. Thanks.

We never get coke in glass bottles around here, but I've always wanted to try it, since it's supposed to taste better in bottles. Plus the bottled stuff is usually corn syrup free.

Beth
Member Avatar

I love having Vivian back. I am bored with Hope and wish someone would stab her. Bo has finally found his balls and took them back from Hope; that's why she is so pissy. Bo just might be better off with Carly for a while. Hope got to have an affair with John and Patrick. Bo never got to have an affair with Billy; he should get to have one. Bo has always been the faithful one- Hope is just a jealous slut. The baby kidnapping; I don't care how it ends- it just needs to end. The whole thing is ridiculous. Send Nicole to jail and give Sami the baby already. I think they needed a way to bring Anna back and so they threw her into this storyline. It won't make any sense why she has the baby. Or they'll re-write some history to try and explain it.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply