Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Weekly Discussion: Dec. 14th - Dec. 18th
Topic Started: Dec 13 2009, 01:11 AM (11,630 Views)
Implosion

No doubt Days will fill in the dots...it is all just strange. I am however it is Anna and not some creepy unknown character to the soap. Atleast, we know that Syd will be taken care of.
It is just all so strange, to have Anna come back and be a kidnapper....I would have wanted her to do something more dramatic to take down Stefano.
Imp
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

I feel like Bo and Hope's destruction of a marriage is missing something. There's no appeal to this story. On one episode, you have Bo wanting to work on their marriage and Hope refusing. The next episode, Hope wants to move back in and Bo refuses. And then the cycle continues each day this story is featured. And then, when they have these heart-to-hearts, I feel there is no drama here. It just seems like two people disagreeing over what to cook for dinner rather than their marriage ending. Where are the emotions? I remember that one scene where Peter Reckell knocked it out of the park, grabbing Kristian Alfonso. They both really brought it then. Now? Not so much. The writers need to step it up if they think we're supposed to get care about the last remaining supercouple's marriage ending.

I liked Arianna's willingess to give EJ a chance. It could add conflict to her relationship with Rafe as well as Brady. Hell, I just want EJ and Ari together.

The scenes at the hospital were great! I do feel like Vivian is coming off as an annoying pest more than anyone threatening, but that's the only Vivian I know. I never witnessed the terrifying Vivian of the early-90s, the Vivian who buried Carly alive. By the time I started watching, Vivian was the annoying fly in Victor and Kate's business, and then she moved onto help Kristen with her schemes, and then the Jonsey mess, followed by the mind-controlling tooth chip. That's the Vivian I know, so this Vivian isn't that jarring to me. But I do think it has to take someone twisted and evil to do what she did today with that dead corpse. My only complaint, and this goes along with what Stephen Nichols discussed in his interview about his arrival at Y&R, DAYS tends to take serious moments and plays them for comedy or something less serious. Carly barely reacted to seeing that corpse in the bed. Sure, she yelled, but then she just seemed annoyed rather than repulsed. The same can be said about Lexie and Nurse Maxine. I know if I worked at the hospital and walked in on that, I would be a little more affected. I just feel it could've been played off more seriously than it was.

I liked the reveal that Anna has Sydney, and the music they're using for those scenes is golden!

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

I'm just so happy the kidnapper was an important character. It very easily could have been someone lame like Merideth..thank god the writers planned in an advance and got Leann Hunley back. She's a joy to see onscreen.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Kevc1980
Dec 18 2009, 11:42 PM
I'm just so happy the kidnapper was an important character. It very easily could have been someone lame like Merideth..thank god the writers planned in an advance and got Leann Hunley back. She's a joy to see onscreen.
Me too! I just hope it leads to something and isn't just "Oh Anna kidnapped Sydney gets caught and goes to jail."

cassie1013

Watched a couple episodes late last night. Kate yelling "You stole my embryo!" combined with Philip's "mommy jokes" brought the LOLs.

With that said - there was some truth to Vivian's comment about Kate, re: "That botoxed bitch!" LOL...LK didn't look so hot in that particular episode. You could tell it was shot a different day, actually. Anyway...

I still like Philip and Melanie. Stephanie and Nathan - take it or leave it.

And I think I say this every week - but WHO the hell dresses Ali Sweeney so terribly? It's not only the style that's bad - the things they put her in are either a. wrong for her body type, b. outdated, or c. too immature (I'm sorry, the Blair Waldorf-wannabe headbands have got to go!). Sami was annoying, as usual.

It was a little odd that Nicole randomly remembered the boots...but whatever!

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

Is there some rule in daytime television that every soap opera hospital has to have a sassy heavyset black woman as the head nurse? Or is it just Days with Maxine and Epiphany on GH?

I don't know what the point was of Vivian reading tarot cards other than to remind me Celeste is gone and I fucking miss her! Especially when they follow it up with a throwaway scene with Lexie (burritos?!?! Oh hell naw! Lexie's ADORABLE niece has been Sydnapped and Lexie is just chilling at work craving burritos? GMAFB, writers). Anyway I'd love to know what Celeste thinks of Kate and Stefano's marriage and this whole Sydnapping mess. I'd love to know just where the hell Celeste went, period.

I don't understand Hope at all. At the beginning when she was saying she doesn't think Bo is happy either, I couldn't figure out what she was getting at other than maybe I was supposed to think Hope is glad he's miserable and she's succeeded in that goal of making it so? I don't get it. I want this Bope story to work because I like both Bope AND Barly, but Hope needs something to do besides just whine to Justin or bitch out Bo about them not talking any more. Let's get her sleuthing on Carly's secret already.

Carly and Vivian's encounter was FUN. Aside from her reading tarot I liked pretty much every moment of Vivian. There is no one on the fucking planet who can say the word "milieu" better than Louise Sorel. No one. And not sure if I was reading too much in it or fanwanking something, but to the people who thought Carly seemed too calm and collected being in Viv's presence I thought the intensity in CC's eyes when Vivian started talking to Melanie looked a bit like a mama bear ready to claw somebody's eyes out for getting too close to baby bear. And LOL at Viv not liking Melanie's scrappiness and trying to give her golddigging tips while Mel tries to encourage Viv to do volunteering. The next couple months should be fun.

I found Arianna surprisingly likable as she fought with Brady. She was so much more feisty rather than such a drab persona she is most of the rest of the time. Of course the show wants us to side with Brady, because well... in this instance he is right that EJ is being shady with Ari, but dammit :flipoff: Brady trying to claim that Nicole being a fucking psycho baby switcher was EJ's fault! Sorry, Brady, it wasn't EJ's fault that Nicole is an insecure nightmare who, correctly or incorrectly, didn't trust in EJ's love enough to tell him she lost their baby in a miscarriage. Brady, it wasn't EJ's fault that Nicole decided to hire a baby broker and bully a teenage girl to give her baby to Nicole (WHICH YOU ABETTED HER WITH!). Brady, it wasn't EJ's fault that Nicole is consumed with Samijealousy and was obsessed with one-upping her in stealing EJ's affections and the latest EJamlet. Brady, it wasn't EJ's fault that your dumbass bailed her out of jail to she could take the Ejamlet from its real parents AGAIN. And from Arianna's perspective, she is right that she should hate Nicole more than EJ. Nicole found out her bro was gonna die and she went and got some french fries at the pub while EJ (unfortunately) rescued his dumb ass. Ugh. Sanctimonious Brady is the worst. I mean I get he wants to take up with Nicole because he loves her and all, but the thing is while Nicole at least has somewhat of an excuse for all her crazy shiz in that she's obviously mentally imbalanced and had the miscarriage and all that... what's Brady's excuse for being such an idiot?

Oh and Melanie? If you're really Arianna's bestie, can you tell her after you warn her off EJ (which I have no problem with) that it's probably pretty dumb of her to chase after Brady when he's clearly already madly in love with Nicole?

Now for my daily Rafe rant, whether people want to discount its validity or not because I'm an Ejami fan :laugh: ...
If this assface is supposed to be nuJohnBlack can he tone down the smug? Because until John became Jawn, I just don't remember SuperJohnBlack being this smug... or not really smug, period. Looking back on it, I probably never gave Drake Hogestyn enough credit for not being smug in the role he was playing whether it was the writing or the adorable eyebrow or "That's a fact" that made him so damn rootable (at least for me) as corny and silly and outlandish as John Black should have seemed and in reality maybe was.

In case anyone needs a reminder of the difference between SuperRafe and the genuine article Salem superhero I give you something I came across on YouTube recently:

:wub: Stefano :wub: I laugh about Rafe knocking himself out too. And yes, Stef, he IS a smug son of a bitch! BTW, I know Sydney was kidnapped and everything, but as a U.S. taxpayer I am starting to get incensed at all the FBI resources paid for with MY tax dollars are going to pay for the sleuthing hobbies of a disgraced former agent. I doubt sodium pentathol comes very cheap.

Carly sure is damn calm staring down a corpse. Anyway, glad Lexie's last line of the day wasn't about burritos. Damn this has to be a Salem record too with Carly joining the medical staff. That makes it FOUR doctors at once on this show. Look out!

Well, I'm back to being confused as hell about the baby switch. Anna keeping the Sydnapping news clippings in a scrapbook is just... weird... and I don't think a babynapper for hire would be doing that. The way JS played EJ's reaction to what Nicole said and him thinking that meant Stefano took the bambino sold me that EJ is not involved in the Sydnapping either... at least not yet. I really am mystified here.

"Uh oh." Gosh that was so perfect! Can there be a special baby Daytime Emmy for the Sinemma sisters?

Edited by IMissAremid, Dec 19 2009, 12:44 AM.

dc cubs
Member Avatar

IMissAremid
Dec 19 2009, 12:40 AM
And not sure if I was reading too much in it or fanwanking something, but to the people who thought Carly seemed too calm and collected being in Viv's presence I thought the intensity in CC's eyes when Vivian started talking to Melanie looked a bit like a mama bear ready to claw somebody's eyes out for getting too close to baby bear.
I noticed that as well. Definite alarm bells went off with Carly when she realized that Vivian knew Melanie.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

DrewHamilton
Dec 18 2009, 11:29 PM
I feel like Bo and Hope's destruction of a marriage is missing something. There's no appeal to this story. On one episode, you have Bo wanting to work on their marriage and Hope refusing. The next episode, Hope wants to move back in and Bo refuses. And then the cycle continues each day this story is featured. And then, when they have these heart-to-hearts, I feel there is no drama here. It just seems like two people disagreeing over what to cook for dinner rather than their marriage ending. Where are the emotions? I remember that one scene where Peter Reckell knocked it out of the park, grabbing Kristian Alfonso. They both really brought it then. Now? Not so much. The writers need to step it up if they think we're supposed to get care about the last remaining supercouple's marriage ending.
I think the writers have done plenty. I think the issue is that we've seen this sort of scene a thousand times. I think they've gone overboard laying out the Bope issues. They shouldn't worry anymore about some people still not getting it. Frankly, if people STILL don't get why this is happening, then don't even bother. Let's just break them up and move on. The reasons are there. The show built up to this and gave us enough scenes of them arguing and talking about their issues. Let's have one big blowout and move on to them apart because that is what is needed now. PR and KA looked more interested in trying to keep it fresh then playing out the scenes. They did their best but it's time to move on and, thankfully, it appears we will be.

I love what we are seeing with EJ and Arianna (SIZZLING chemistry) and loved the scenes with Brady today.

I also loved the beginning of Vivian's revenge and it was nice seeing Lexie. Melanie/Vivian was a hoot too.

I agree with Jane about Rafe. I like his attitude and LOVED his scenes with Stefano. The boxers or briefs line was hilarious!

The Anna reveal was awesome. Couldn't agree more about the music. Stellar!

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Dec 19 2009, 01:22 AM
I think the writers have done plenty. I think the issue is that we've seen this sort of scene a thousand times. I think they've gone overboard laying out the Bope issues. They shouldn't worry anymore about some people still not getting it. Frankly, if people STILL don't get why this is happening, then don't even bother. Let's just break them up and move on. The reasons are there. The show built up to this and gave us enough scenes of them arguing and talking about their issues. Let's have one big blowout and move on to them apart because that is what is needed now. PR and KA looked more interested in trying to keep it fresh then playing out the scenes. They did their best but it's time to move on and, thankfully, it appears we will be.
The issues have been touched upon, but where is the emotion? Aside from that one scene that I mentioned, it doesn't seem like they're reacting to a marriage ending. They've been through so much and managed to stay together, yet you would never notice by the way they're reacting to the split. Their scenes together seem emotionless. Their scenes with other people discussing the marriage ending seems emotionless. Reckell and Alfonso just seem bored with the material now.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

DrewHamilton
Dec 19 2009, 01:29 AM
PhoenixRising05
Dec 19 2009, 01:22 AM
The issues have been touched upon, but where is the emotion? Aside from that one scene that I mentioned, it doesn't seem like they're reacting to a marriage ending. They've been through so much and managed to stay together, yet you would never notice by the way they're reacting to the split. Their scenes together seem emotionless. Their scenes with other people discussing the marriage ending seems emotionless. Reckell and Alfonso just seem bored with the material now.
I've seen emotion. I even saw some in their final scene today when the frame broke and Hope ran out with tears in her eyes and Bo came down and realizing Hope was gone and became deflated. They've been playing it recently as both of them are just frustrated. They just can't seem to agree or communicate and have no idea what to do. I've been fine with how they played it until today. I agree they seemed a bit bored today but I blame that on the writers overselling the issues. I think they feel like they have to continue to beat into viewers' brains the reasons why their marriage is a mess. They shouldn't have to do too much of that anymore. Yes, they need to address it when necessary but today just felt like overkill and the way it was presented made it seem like it didn't do anything to move things along. The picture frame shattering was just about the only thing that I felt did anything to further the story because it showed things are pretty much nearing their end, at least for now.

Regardless, I still applaud the show for the way this story has played and how they slowly built it up. It's a realistic destruction of a marriage and I would rather the show beat things into our brains then not doing enough to make the story work.

jane1978

IMissAremid
I don't understand Hope at all. At the beginning when she was saying she doesn't think Bo is happy either, I couldn't figure out what she was getting at other than maybe I was supposed to think Hope is glad he's miserable and she's succeeded in that goal of making it so? I don't get it. I want this Bope story to work because I like both Bope AND Barly, but Hope needs something to do besides just whine to Justin or bitch out Bo about them not talking any more. Let's get her sleuthing on Carly's secret already.
I actually think that question was very telling. Because Hope is very insecure right now. Bo/Hope marriage troubles usually go through the same stages. Bo does something bad or Hope feels he is not respecting and appreciates her enough so she moves out temporarily so Bo realizes what he´s done and begs her kneeling to take him back and return home. (maybe not literally, but close enough) Of course she doesn´t want him to be happy when she´s gone. She wants him to be desperate, missing her terribly and jealous of any men she is spending time with. But this time Bo found Carly and Hope is suddenly on the loosing end because Bo seems fine and he shows no real effort to really understand why Hope is so bothered. Bo now has woman who apprecites him, maybe even adores him and more importantly still sees him through the "you are my hero" eyes Hope used to 20+ years ago so his motivation to change and accept whatever conditions Hope gives him to return is very low.

IMO, that´s the gist of their problems now. Hope is not ready to accept the defeat and return back without conditions and accept there will no appologize this time. And Bo is not willing to really prove he wants Hope back and work on their marriage which in her eyes means give away the Carly´s secret or atleast cutting any contact with her. They are stuck, because nobody is willing to do the first move.

Days4Life

Jane, that's a great analysis of the problems between Bo and Hope. The very best part of their scenes Friday was the broken picture frame (although it's a terrible cliche) and Hope running out in tears while Bo ran down the stairs after her--missing her by only a second. It was a great snapshot of her sorrow over losing her ideal of the perfect family and his frustration at always being not quite enough to satisfy her.

I'm so glad the Bope marriage is unraveling BEFORE anything develops with Carly. You don't need an interloper to destroy a marriage, and it's overdone on soaps. This is a very realistic situation for a long-time married couple. It is frustrating to me as a viewer because Hope is being played as such a princess bitch, but in some ways it's true to her character--just way overdone.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

jane1978
Dec 19 2009, 07:03 AM
IMissAremid
I actually think that question was very telling. Because Hope is very insecure right now. Bo/Hope marriage troubles usually go through the same stages. Bo does something bad or Hope feels he is not respecting and appreciates her enough so she moves out temporarily so Bo realizes what he´s done and begs her kneeling to take him back and return home. (maybe not literally, but close enough) Of course she doesn´t want him to be happy when she´s gone. She wants him to be desperate, missing her terribly and jealous of any men she is spending time with. But this time Bo found Carly and Hope is suddenly on the loosing end because Bo seems fine and he shows no real effort to really understand why Hope is so bothered. Bo now has woman who apprecites him, maybe even adores him and more importantly still sees him through the "you are my hero" eyes Hope used to 20+ years ago so his motivation to change and accept whatever conditions Hope gives him to return is very low.

IMO, that´s the gist of their problems now. Hope is not ready to accept the defeat and return back without conditions and accept there will no appologize this time. And Bo is not willing to really prove he wants Hope back and work on their marriage which in her eyes means give away the Carly´s secret or atleast cutting any contact with her. They are stuck, because nobody is willing to do the first move.
I agree.

It all started because they've had problems over the the course of recent years but never really resolved them (most notably Zack and Patrick). Hell, you could argue they've had the same trust and control problems since they first met but circumstances usually pushed them forward and back together. Now, they've reached a stage of this where the kidnapping brought it all out and over time it's become harder to communicate and talk. Neither one knows what to do. It's frustrating and they are both drained and you can see they are almost resigning themselves to the fact that it's over.

Days did this right. They started this before Carly and played it out and timed it wonderfully. Now they are almost at the point where they can pull the trigger on Bo/Carly and Justin/Hope. They just need to take it slow but they've played all the beats. You can argue they've played the beats too much but better too much then not enough.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

To be honest, Bo & Hope need to look into couples' counseling. I think it would be a really interesting and dramatic story option to take (not to mention mature and adult). Unfortunately, the hospital obviously no longer has a therapist on staff since Marlena took off for Switzerland. Which reminds me that there should be enough Salemites living in that country currently to launch a spin-off -- Swiss Lives.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Matt
Dec 19 2009, 01:08 PM
To be honest, Bo & Hope need to look into couples' counseling. I think it would be a really interesting and dramatic story option to take (not to mention mature and adult). Unfortunately, the hospital obviously no longer has a therapist on staff since Marlena took off for Switzerland. Which reminds me that there should be enough Salemites living in that country currently to launch a spin-off -- Swiss Lives.
I would LOVE that but, thinking realistically, I think they may even be beyond that. That is something they should've did after the Zack situation. I just don't see Days doing that because the show may feel enough of the audience would be bored with it and, sadly, they are probably right.

If this were the 70's or 80's, I think most fans would eat that up and praise the hell out of it. I still would but the little things and character/relationship development don't seem to matter to the audience that matters to any of these shows.

But good point about Switzerland LOL.

mer4santo
Member Avatar
I own you bitch.

cassie1013
Dec 19 2009, 12:11 AM
And I think I say this every week - but WHO the hell dresses Ali Sweeney so terribly? It's not only the style that's bad - the things they put her in are either a. wrong for her body type, b. outdated, or c. too immature (I'm sorry, the Blair Waldorf-wannabe headbands have got to go!). Sami was annoying, as usual.
:hail:
I think this consistently. Is wardrobe trying to imply that Sami is wholesome? Well if falls on deaf ears and offended eyes.

lysie
Member Avatar

mer4santo
Dec 19 2009, 02:43 PM
cassie1013
I think this consistently. Is wardrobe trying to imply that Sami is wholesome? Well if falls on deaf ears and offended eyes.
LOL. Her clothes have always been wrong for her body type but they used to be trashy/slutty and it fit the character. Now they're just ugly/could pass for a kindergartner's wardrobe.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

lysie
Dec 19 2009, 02:58 PM
mer4santo
Dec 19 2009, 02:43 PM
cassie1013
LOL. Her clothes have always been wrong for her body type but they used to be trashy/slutty and it fit the character. Now they're just ugly/could pass for a kindergartner's wardrobe.
It's like Sami Brady's stylist is the love child of Helen Keller & Punky Brewster and raised by the supporting cast of Blue's Clues.

Halloween Family
Member Avatar

Days4Life
Dec 19 2009, 12:17 PM
Jane, that's a great analysis of the problems between Bo and Hope. The very best part of their scenes Friday was the broken picture frame (although it's a terrible cliche) and Hope running out in tears while Bo ran down the stairs after her--missing her by only a second. It was a great snapshot of her sorrow over losing her ideal of the perfect family and his frustration at always being not quite enough to satisfy her.

I'm so glad the Bope marriage is unraveling BEFORE anything develops with Carly. You don't need an interloper to destroy a marriage, and it's overdone on soaps. This is a very realistic situation for a long-time married couple. It is frustrating to me as a viewer because Hope is being played as such a princess bitch, but in some ways it's true to her character--just way overdone.
This and Jane's are great posts. The whole "are you happy?" scene was really strange and Hope is INSECURE and all over the place much like she's going through menopause, not to say she isn't justified in her complaints but her reactions seem disproportionate. I'm hoping they'll delve into it from this angle, IDK if they've ever done a menopause s/l but it would be great to see Hope this angelic beauty be brought down to earth.

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

I don't think soaps ever tell menopause stories for women because then that eliminates a woman's possibility for a who's the daddy storyline.

I mean hell they had Marlena pregnant what was it? Like five years ago?

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply