Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
TVGC Interview with Deidre Hall — Entertainer of the Decade; TVGC Exclusive
Topic Started: Dec 15 2009, 01:58 AM (6,430 Views)
hunterforrester
Member Avatar

http://tvguide.ca/Soaps/Features/Articles/091215_deidre_hall_NB.htm
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mason
Member Avatar

This just makes me miss Marlena/Dee all over again. DAYS just hasn't been the same to me without her. :(

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

Excellent interview. I hope to see Marlena again on Days before the show ends.

LovingDays

i dont care about marlena im so happy she left with john

Kenny
Member Avatar

Quote:

TVG: Are you still watching Days of Our Lives?
DH: No. I did for a little while, but I saw too many new faces so it was hard to follow.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Love her. Why did she keep calling Wayne Northrup's character Dr. Norris though? Wasn't it Dr. North? Regardless, I agree with what she said about the terrible way they wrote that character. Such a squandered opportunity.

As for John and Marlena's piss-poor exits, I think the writers wrote it that way on purpose. They wanted to get rid of the characters while stirring up as little of a shit-storm as possible. They wanted to transition to nu-Days with minimal negative publicity, so they ushered John and Marlena out in the blink of an eye. It was like ripping off a Band-Aid. Quick and painful. The intention was never to pay off the fans or celebrate the history of John and Marlena through a beautiful exit. The intention was simply to erase them from the show as quickly as possible and pray for minimal backlash. Such a shame.

Oooh, and how interesting that she says the Salem Serial Killer victims were never meant to be alive in the end. In fact, her exact words are "James (Reilly) was forced to change it at the last minute." More proof that Ken Corday is a liar, LoL.

Tammy
Member Avatar

I miss the character in general, but I don't watch the show so I don't have daily dose of missing her.

I found it funny that she called Wayne's last character Dr. Norris, when it was Dr. North, lmao, it just made me giggle :P

LovingDays

i could care less about marlena.she was so boring and the comment with if u still watch days she said no caz its to hard to follow well that was mean

Mason
Member Avatar

LovingDays
Dec 15 2009, 02:54 AM
i could care less about marlena.she was so boring and the comment with if u still watch days she said no caz its to hard to follow well that was mean
If you're so uninterested, why did you even bother to read the interview?

And what she said wasn't mean - it was honest. She's entitled to have her opinion just like all the rest of us.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Great interview! Very comprehensive.

I loved hearing her thoughts on JER, her life after Days, CC, the crappy exit she and Drake got, who she is still seeing from Days after her exit 9I figured she still saw Martha as they are friends on Twitter), and hearing her thoughts on past stories.

This...

Quote:

TVG: [Joking] Or you’d have to kill me![Laughs] If he were still alive, how do you think James would feel about Marlena not being on DAYS anymore?
DH: You know … I don’t know. I don’t have a comment on that one.

I felt was interesting. It sounded like that could be her knowing JER was so unpredictable that she wasn't sure or it could be simply not wanting to speak for him or it could be something more. I couldn't help but feel there was more behind that answer.

I can sense the tension over the exit. I really can. I can't blame her if there is tension. I do like how happy she is that Days is doing well and that she believes in being a team player and that pay cuts are necessary.

The only thing I question is...why her for entertainer of the decade? I can't remember but was this a fan vote? Marlena pretty much only had the SSK story and John's death as far as major stories go so I'm not really sure if she works as someone who made a huge impact this decade when compared to others. I mean, in the 90's she would win hands down but the 200o? Not sure about that as she spent more time on the backburner then she did on the frontburner. That reminds me...loved the mention of years of overspending at Days and how Corday's mismanagement is what led to her lack of airtime.

LovingDays

i dont know loll i just dont like marlena`s character.i found it kind of rude she was pointing on the actors that so not professional

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Kenny
Dec 15 2009, 02:43 AM
Quote:

TVG: Are you still watching Days of Our Lives?
DH: No. I did for a little while, but I saw too many new faces so it was hard to follow.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Love her. Why did she keep calling Wayne Northrup's character Dr. Norris though? Wasn't it Dr. North? Regardless, I agree with what she said about the terrible way they wrote that character. Such a squandered opportunity.

As for John and Marlena's piss-poor exits, I think the writers wrote it that way on purpose. They wanted to get rid of the characters while stirring up as little of a shit-storm as possible. They wanted to transition to nu-Days with minimal negative publicity, so they ushered John and Marlena out in the blink of an eye. It was like ripping off a Band-Aid. Quick and painful. The intention was never to pay off the fans or celebrate the history of John and Marlena through a beautiful exit. The intention was simply to erase them from the show as quickly as possible and pray for minimal backlash. Such a shame.

Oooh, and how interesting that she says the Salem Serial Killer victims were never meant to be alive in the end. In fact, her exact words are "James (Reilly) was forced to change it at the last minute." More proof that Ken Corday is a liar, LoL.
The Alex North comments were funny LOL.

As for the exits, I disagree. If they didn't want to cause a storm and get negative publicity, why write such a malicious end for them? Yes, they rushed the exit but they also made the exit very disrespectful. If they had rushed them off without paralyzing John, then I could see what your saying but it was clear they could care less about publicity in any of the exits at that time (J&M, S&K, Tony). You could tell the show had enough of the fanbases and was sticking up a giant middle finger at them, especially J&M.

As for the SSK stuff, I'm not surprised. There were always rumors of that never being the plan. In fact, I still remember SON posting a news item that Tanya Boyd's Celeste was next to die after Tony but within a day the story disappeared and we soon got word that Bill Hayes's Doug was next. Not to mention, Hayes was promised he would not be killed and the deaths got so random after that. Doug seeing Marlena leaving Tony's room after "killing" him was clearly a last minute change and I don't think for a minute Corday would ever kill off Frances Reid's Alice like that without knowing she would be back.

That story got changed so many times after Tony's death that it was shameful. Hell, I felt the Melaswen story changed several times.

Mason
Member Avatar

All she said was that there were a lot of faces that she didn't recognize. It's not like she was calling them bad actors or anything.... :unsure:

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

LovingDays
Dec 15 2009, 03:02 AM
i dont know loll i just dont like marlena`s character.i found it kind of rude she was pointing on the actors that so not professional
All she said was that there were too many new faces. At the time, she probably felt the show was going off the rails. I'm sure she may feel differently now because the show's plan has worked but it would probably still be hard for her to watch it and she would probably still feel it's not the same.

It's not like she bashed the show from here to kingdom come. In fact, I feel she went out of her way to make sure she did not bash the show. That speaks volumes of her and I do feel now that she may return someday. Drake...different story...which is fine. I feel Marlena has loads more to offer on her own then with John.

cassie1013

Great interview!

LOL to the new faces. That's sad she doesn't even watch! :(

Love her honesty ... "greater minds - who aren't so great..." ahaha. So true.

Kenny
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Dec 15 2009, 02:58 AM
The only thing I question is...why her for entertainer of the decade? I can't remember but was this a fan vote? Marlena pretty much only had the SSK story and John's death as far as major stories go so I'm not really sure if she works as someone who made a huge impact this decade when compared to others. I mean, in the 90's she would win hands down but the 200o? Not sure about that as she spent more time on the backburner then she did on the frontburner.
I was wondering the same thing. Deidre's talents were terribly squandered from 1998 - 2009 with only occasional moments of creative greatness for the character of Marlena. It was sad to watch her become so unimportant in the grand scheme of things.

cassie1013

The Alex North comments were hilarious, though, I don't get why she speaks so highly of JER. He was good to her character - at times - but I also think he nearly ruined the show!

I also had to laugh at the comments on the Crystal Chappell feud. Before I really knew who Crystal was - like, honestly, didn't even know what she looked like - all I could associate the name with was a Deidre Hall feud, LOL.

Kenny
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Dec 15 2009, 03:03 AM
As for the exits, I disagree. If they didn't want to cause a storm and get negative publicity, why write such a malicious end for them? Yes, they rushed the exit but they also made the exit very disrespectful.
The writers were probably operating under the assumption that if John and Marlena were badly written at the end, fans wouldn't mind their exits as much. On the other hand, if they were given a beautiful exit that celebrated their history on the show together, the fans would remember why they liked J&M in the first place and be a little more resistant to accepting their exits.

Mason
Member Avatar

cassie1013
Dec 15 2009, 03:14 AM
The Alex North comments were hilarious, though, I don't get why she speaks so highly of JER. He was good to her character - at times - but I also think he nearly ruined the show!
I don't think she really thinks he was as great as she always makes him out to be. I think she just doesn't want to seem disrespectful or ungrateful given all the material he wrote for her (moreso in the 90s) - especially now that he's dead.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Kenny
Dec 15 2009, 03:11 AM
PhoenixRising05
Dec 15 2009, 02:58 AM
The only thing I question is...why her for entertainer of the decade? I can't remember but was this a fan vote? Marlena pretty much only had the SSK story and John's death as far as major stories go so I'm not really sure if she works as someone who made a huge impact this decade when compared to others. I mean, in the 90's she would win hands down but the 200o? Not sure about that as she spent more time on the backburner then she did on the frontburner.
I was wondering the same thing. Deidre's talents were terribly squandered from 1998 - 2009 with only occasional moments of creative greatness for the character of Marlena. It was sad to watch her become so unimportant in the grand scheme of things.
It was.

There was so much potential too. This decade started with the Hattie story and Marlena having a radio show. She was also headed for a breakdown. That story all went to hell when Hattie became a big nothing of a story (something clearly changed) and the Marlena/John stuff became all about Brady. The SSK was her next big story but once that got changed to the island crap, we saw her very little, if at all, for the better part of a year. She then had Alex North, which had potential, but that story was very inconsistent and that seemed to get changed and then it ended quickly. J&M were then put on hiatus, had a brief surge in Fall 2006, went to the backburner again until John died, had another brief surge and that was it.

That is why I can't understand naming her entertainer of the decade. I mean, she had her moments but this wasn't like the 90's. She didn't so much of anything.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Kenny
Dec 15 2009, 03:14 AM
PhoenixRising05
Dec 15 2009, 03:03 AM
As for the exits, I disagree. If they didn't want to cause a storm and get negative publicity, why write such a malicious end for them? Yes, they rushed the exit but they also made the exit very disrespectful.
The writers were probably operating under the assumption that if John and Marlena were badly written at the end, fans wouldn't mind their exits as much. On the other hand, if they were given a beautiful exit that celebrated their history on the show together, the fans would remember why they liked J&M in the first place and be a little more resistant to accepting their exits.
I doubt that.

It almost seemed personal with the way they treated them. You could literally sense that they hated the characters. I mean, Steve and Kayla were treated like crap but I would have no exit then the one J&M got. That just seemed way too brutal. They could've did what you said without resorting to those lengths.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply