Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
TVGC Interview with Deidre Hall — Entertainer of the Decade; TVGC Exclusive
Topic Started: Dec 15 2009, 01:58 AM (6,387 Views)
Kenny
Member Avatar

cassie1013
Dec 15 2009, 03:14 AM
The Alex North comments were hilarious, though, I don't get why she speaks so highly of JER. He was good to her character - at times - but I also think he nearly ruined the show!
JER's writing was pretty unspectacular after he left Days in 1998, but he wrote John and Marlena like a poet in the 90's. As much as I loathed his work on Passions and most of his work on Days from 2004 - 2005 (or '06?), I will always give him praise for writing the stories that got me hooked on the show in he first place. My guess is Deidre probably feels the same way. She knows the man wasn't without his flaws, but she also knows that he was a fearless visionary who always loved writing for the character of Marlena. He gave her some of her most memorable stories.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Mason
Dec 15 2009, 03:16 AM
cassie1013
The Alex North comments were hilarious, though, I don't get why she speaks so highly of JER. He was good to her character - at times - but I also think he nearly ruined the show!
I don't think she really thinks he was as great as she always makes him out to be. I think she just doesn't want to seem disrespectful or ungrateful given all the material he wrote for her (moreso in the 90s) - especially now that he's dead.
Definitely but I'm sure she was being genuine when talking about his 90's run. He treated her very well during that time. His second run? He did at the start and briefly in summer 2005 but, other then that, he really messed up her character.

Kenny
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Dec 15 2009, 03:17 AM
The SSK was her next big story but once that got changed to the island crap, we saw her very little, if at all, for the better part of a year.
No kidding. Her and Roman were in that castle for what seemed like an eternity and we only saw Marlena, what... once every three weeks? If that? It was ridiculous.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Kenny
Dec 15 2009, 03:21 AM
PhoenixRising05
Dec 15 2009, 03:17 AM
The SSK was her next big story but once that got changed to the island crap, we saw her very little, if at all, for the better part of a year.
No kidding. Her and Roman were in that castle for what seemed like an eternity and we only saw Marlena, what... once every three weeks? If that? It was ridiculous.
As soon as she hit that island, we were lucky to see her once a week. Once the island story ended and they went to the castle, I think it was like 3 times a month until late April when they got out. It was awful and you could tell the show had no idea what they were doing with her.

cassie1013

Kenny
Dec 15 2009, 03:19 AM
cassie1013
JER's writing was pretty unspectacular after he left Days in 1998, but he wrote John and Marlena like a poet in the 90's. As much as I loathed his work on Passions and most of his work on Days from 2004 - 2005 (or '06?), I will always give him praise for writing the stories that got me hooked on the show in he first place. My guess is Deidre probably feels the same way. She knows the man wasn't without his flaws, but she also knows that he was a fearless visionary who always loved writing for the character of Marlena. He gave her some of her most memorable stories.
I completely agree with you here, his stories were what got me started too. But with that said, I think he royally fucked up her character on his second run. I understand from an actors POV why you would say the Salem Stalker was one of your highlights, but in terms of character development? It was awful. And they kept going and going with Marlena - first, the island and then that ridiculous bullshit of being chained to a bed with Roman! WHY in the hell JER went back to Roman and Marlena - plus the subsequent pregnancy BS - is beyond me. Which lead into the AWFUL Alex North story...it was the worst 3 years EVER, and JER had no clear idea of what to do with her character.

And, again, I understand her having respect for him because a) he's dead and b) he was good to her in terms of story and screen time, but I think she could be honest about it.

Does she get along with Susan Lucci? Just curious...

Kenny
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
It almost seemed personal with the way they treated them.
Well I certainly don't understand why. I'm pretty sure Deidre never did anything to make the writers and producers dislike her. She's always gone out of her way to promote the show and she's still speaking positively about it even after they unceremoniously fired her.

Perhaps the writers just wanted to use John and Marlena's exit to give a big "fuck you" to the supercouple fanbases. The J&M fans in particular were always quite passionate and vocal. But if the show's gonna screw over a fanbase just for being passionate and vocal, why not do the same thing to the Ejami fans and the Safe fans and the LUMI fans? LoL.

cassie1013

Oh, and one more thing - Entertainer of the Decade? Really? I would agree in the 90's, but I think she became pointless over the course of the past 10 years. Sad, imo.

Mason
Member Avatar

cassie1013
Dec 15 2009, 03:28 AM
And, again, I understand her having respect for him because a) he's dead and b) he was good to her in terms of story and screen time, but I think she could be honest about it.
I agree, but some people just aren't as comfortable about being so candid as others are, and I think Deidre's like that.

Then again, this is just my interpretation. For all I know, she really does think that JER walked on water, LoL.

cassie1013

Mason
Dec 15 2009, 03:30 AM
cassie1013
I agree, but some people just aren't as comfortable about being so candid as others are, and I think Deidre's like that.

Then again, this is just my interpretation. For all I know, she really does think that JER walked on water, LoL.
Well, I was scratching my head when she said "great minds - who aren't so great..." and wondering who the fuck she was talking about. I mean, JER was one of those 'minds', so... And, well, obviously Ken Corday LoL.

Kenny
Member Avatar

cassie1013
I dunno, but I'd say she and Melody Thomas Scott probably aren't the best of friends...

(Skip to 1:30 and note the eyeroll)

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Kenny
PhoenixRising05
It almost seemed personal with the way they treated them.
Well I certainly don't understand why. I'm pretty sure Deidre never did anything to make the writers and producers dislike her. She's always gone out of her way to promote the show and she's still speaking positively about it even after they unceremoniously fired her.

Perhaps the writers just wanted to use John and Marlena's exit to give a big "fuck you" to the supercouple fanbases. The J&M fans in particular were always quite passionate and vocal. But if the show's gonna screw over a fanbase just for being passionate and vocal, why not do the same thing to the Ejami fans and the Safe fans and the LUMI fans? LoL.
Oh, I know it was personal where the fanbases were concerned.

Corday got fed up. You could tell. That much was obvious from his "luncheon" comment in SOD this past June. Can I blame him? Not really but that was still classless.

As for why they don't do that with Lumi, Ejami, and Safe...it's because they still gave a damn about them (and they haven't been raging at TPTB for over tears either LOL) and they like pitting them against each other. Outside of Safe, I would say both the Lumi and Ejami fanbases have been shit on. I also think it helps that the show doesn't seem afraid of fanbases anymore. They just write the stories and plan them. They don't seem like they are changing things in response to backlash like they were prior to Tomlin for the better part of a decade.

cassie1013

Kenny
Dec 15 2009, 03:32 AM
cassie1013
I dunno, but I'd say she and Melody Thomas Scott probably aren't the best of friends...

(Skip to 1:30 and note the eyeroll)
Actually someone sent that to me last night! Fucking HILARIOUS! But I don't think it's a secret MTS doesn't like DH. Either way, pretty dang tactless to roll your eyes and mouth "Deidre Hall." Like, come on. MTS never took off as a female lead like Hall and Lucci because of Eric Braeden, in my opinion, at least...but no need for that shit, lol.

Apparently Hall and Braeden are 'friends' (whatever the hell that means in the entertainment industry).

Can you imagine if only Y&R was left , and they did a Eric Braeden, Susan Lucci and Deidre Hall love triangle? Melody Thomas Scott would be like WTF. That would be pretty nuts, LOL.

Mason
Member Avatar

cassie1013
Dec 15 2009, 03:38 AM
Actually someone sent that to me last night! Fucking HILARIOUS! But I don't think it's a secret MTS doesn't like DH. Either way, pretty dang tactless to roll your eyes and mouth "Deidre Hall." Like, come on. MTS never took off as a female lead like Hall and Lucci because of Eric Braeden, in my opinion, at least...but no need for that shit, lol.
I'd say that Deidre got the last laugh there, anyway. She looks better in her 60s than MTS does in her 50s, LoL.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

I'm so glad she was named entertainer of the decade and I can see why she would be named that. Who would've ever thought Deidre Hall would be fired from DAYS? Remember the outrage it caused when word broke? People really began to remember how much of DAYS revolved around Marlena, whether she had a lot do this decade or not. Marlena was the central character of the show if she was involved in front-burner storylines or not. To this day, nearly a whole year later, I still can't believe she's gone. Salem hasn't been the same without her.

Quote:

TVG: Did you ever think you’d be toiling in soaps for over three decades?
DH: No, not really. But it was a great gig while it lasted. I never saw it coming … as long-lived as it was. When I was hired, I was brought in to bridge the exit of the two Lauras. They needed a blond psychiatrist in the interim. Marlena was never expected to be a long-term character so I had no idea she and I would prosper for so long in Salem.
I never thought of Marlena being Laura's replacement. I guess that's what she was and the show needed someone in that psychiatrist role for Mickey. Interesting. I bet no one ever though back in 1976 that Dr. Marlena Evans would become the face of DAYS.

I still would love to know what the original plans were for the Salem Serial Killer storyline. What was originally supposed to be revealed that made Marlena snap and kill off all of her friends like that?

cassie1013

DrewHamilton
Dec 15 2009, 03:40 AM
Marlena was the central character of the show if she was involved in front-burner storylines or not. To this day, nearly a whole year later, I still can't believe she's gone. Salem hasn't been the same without her.
It's hard to believe she's gone, but she was on so inconsistently for the past few years, I find myself barely noticing. It's a shame ,really - Marlena should have been at the forefront of that Brady vs. DiMera storyline, not fucking Sami. It irritates me to no end how the Stefano/Marlena history has been swept under the rug. A mention here or there - from Sami or Stefano - would be nice.

cassie1013

Mason
Dec 15 2009, 03:39 AM
cassie1013
Dec 15 2009, 03:38 AM
I'd say that Deidre got the last laugh there, anyway. She looks better in her 60s than MTS does in her 50s, LoL.
LOL, you got that right. MTS needs to cut back on the donuts and the botox.

Kenny
Member Avatar

Mason
Dec 15 2009, 03:39 AM
MTS used to be such a beauty.

Southofsoap
Member Avatar

Quote:

TVG: Do you keep in touch with anyone from DAYS?
DH: Martha Madison, Mary Beth Evans and a little bit of the crew.

The fact she doesn't mention Drake is telling.

At the time, I got the impression that she enjoyed it when her character wasn't tied to his. When "John" died, the character of Marlena was invigorated, when he returned she went back to phoning it in.

cassie1013

OMG! She didn't mention Drake! WTF!

Mason
Member Avatar

Well Nelson did report last year that they didn't really get along off-screen....there was a big brouhaha about it amongst J&M fans, LoL.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply