Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOD Cover and Preview, Dec 29 issue
Topic Started: Dec 15 2009, 11:47 AM (3,559 Views)
Ellie

http://boards.soapoperanetwork.com/topic/33641-sod-all-soaps-122909/

Posted Image

LATE-BREAKING NEWS
Hunley's Secret Return to DAYS
Austin Peck's ATWT Farewell
Greenlee's Back on AMC!
GH's Hanging Chad!
Lies Pull Phyllis and Nick Apart on Y&R
ATWT Bombshell: Is Mick James Stenbeck?
OLTL's Mitch Torments Stacy, Dorian
B&B's Eric and Ridge Conspire
ATWT Canceled!

HOT PLOTS PREVIEW!
ATWT: Paul Helps Meg Escape
OLTL: Matthew Walks Again!
DAYS: Philip Proposes!
Y&R: Emily Tells Jack She Loves Him

EDITORS' CHOICE: Ann Frank, B&B
PERFORMER OF THE WEEK: Chrishell Stause (Amanda, AMC)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

cassie1013

Wow...they couldn't even give ATWT the cover? That's sad.

OneBadKitty
Member Avatar

It's either Y&R or Days for them.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

OneBadKitty
Dec 15 2009, 11:59 AM
Or GH.

I love that "FINALLY!" with the Stacy pic at the top LOL.

I lofe this cover though, despite the photoshop. It has a classic SOD look to it. I can't wait to read the story on Anna's return and about the Days success story.

dc cubs
Member Avatar

cassie1013
Dec 15 2009, 11:55 AM
They didn't give GL the cover when they were canceled so I'm not surprised. GL did get the SOW cover that week so I'm hoping the same thing will happen for ATWT this week.

The big shocking confession is probably something we already know such as Daniel being the father of Carly's child. I just pray I don't have to read any quotes from Corday in this article.

lastDays
Member Avatar

I once read that SOD bases its covers on which soap's fans read their mag alot.Days dominated so much in the '90s.And this is why they still do mostly Days headlines

jane1978

dc cubs
Dec 15 2009, 12:25 PM
cassie1013
They didn't give GL the cover when they were canceled so I'm not surprised. GL did get the SOW cover that week so I'm hoping the same thing will happen for ATWT this week.

The big shocking confession is probably something we already know such as Daniel being the father of Carly's child. I just pray I don't have to read any quotes from Corday in this article.
The article about DAYS success looks like an editorial, so I fully expect we will get some Corday´s wisdom. It´s really too bad nobody from the TPTB except him is available for media because I would love to hear some insights from Tomlin, Whittesel and people who are really in power now. But hopefully Corday will atleast say something about the deal with NBC and what are the chances for a renewal.

Thanks a lot!

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

Great cover. Glad to see Bo, Hope and Carly getting press for Days.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Truthfully, I don't remember SOD ever devoted an entire cover to a single soap upon the announcement of its cancellation. When they announced AW, it got a blurb on the cover (if I remember correctly), but not the whole cover. AW did, however, get full covers on both SOD & SOW the week of its final episode (which pissed me off to no end that they didn't put GL on both covers for its final episode. Consequently, I missed the SOW issue because I couldn't find it in the store.) Of course, I remember the days when SOD gave soaps gloriously posed and shot anniversary covers, too, for important milestone anniversaries. Maybe I'm old school (oh, hell, of course I'm old school), but I wish SOD would go back to the couple covers (garnering one was always a big deal) with the corresponding special photoshoot instead of these photoshopped messes they put out now. SOD just looks so damn cheap anymore.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

jane1978
Dec 15 2009, 12:51 PM
dc cubs
Dec 15 2009, 12:25 PM
cassie1013

The article about DAYS success looks like an editorial, so I fully expect we will get some Corday´s wisdom. It´s really too bad nobody from the TPTB except him is available for media because I would love to hear some insights from Tomlin, Whittesel and people who are really in power now. But hopefully Corday will atleast say something about the deal with NBC and what are the chances for a renewal.

Thanks a lot!
Same here. I wish Tomlin would say something. I don't expect Whitesell since he is "supposed" to be the co-head writer even though it's obvious he is more LOL.

No doubt we will get some Corday quotes and we should hear an update on the renewal, which should be looking pretty good at this point.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Matt
Dec 15 2009, 12:57 PM
Truthfully, I don't remember SOD ever devoted an entire cover to a single soap upon the announcement of its cancellation. When they announced AW, it got a blurb on the cover (if I remember correctly), but not the whole cover. AW did, however, get full covers on both SOD & SOW the week of its final episode (which pissed me off to no end that they didn't put GL on both covers for its final episode. Consequently, I missed the SOW issue because I couldn't find it in the store.) Of course, I remember the days when SOD gave soaps gloriously posed and shot anniversary covers, too, for important milestone anniversaries. Maybe I'm old school (oh, hell, of course I'm old school), but I wish SOD would go back to the couple covers (garnering one was always a big deal) with the corresponding special photoshoot instead of these photoshopped messes they put out now. SOD just looks so damn cheap anymore.
I hear you on the anniversary issues. They used to kick ass with those and they used to be so comprehensive.

Your right about the actual cancellation news. I don't remember the last time, if ever, that cancellation stories ended up on the cover. I think AW got a SOW cover for their 35th anniversary and the cancellation news accompanied it so that may count but SOW also did a GL cover for the cancellation news, I believe. As you said, usually shows got covers for their last episodes. AW did. Sunset Beach and Port Charles didn't but I suspect the fact that they didn't last long by soap standards played into that. I do remember GL getting the SOW cover for it's last week. It should've been SOD though.

~bl~
Member Avatar

Matt I'm old school too, ICAM about the magazines. I miss real photo shoots, and covers for all of the shows. Yes I get the economics of it, but that doesn't mean I can't miss them.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

~bl~
Dec 15 2009, 01:18 PM
Matt I'm old school too, ICAM about the magazines. I miss real photo shoots, and covers for all of the shows. Yes I get the economics of it, but that doesn't mean I can't miss them.
Do you remember the wedding covers? Where they'd take the couple and do a big photoshoot in all their wedding regalia? I remember when RoJohn & Diana were *supposed* to get married and they had a wedding cover, but the wedding didn't actually happen because of some last-minute rewrite. I remember that some of those couple-covers actually became definitive couple photos for several super couples.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

PhoenixRising05
Dec 15 2009, 12:15 PM
OneBadKitty
Or GH.

OUCH! to this, LOL.
I heard that particular actress was really difficult to get along with, and full of herself. I wonder if this was a jab more at her than the character, who didn't seem to hit it off with the viewers to begin with?

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

ladyofthelake
Dec 15 2009, 01:26 PM
PhoenixRising05
Dec 15 2009, 12:15 PM
OneBadKitty
Or GH.

OUCH! to this, LOL.
I heard that particular actress was really difficult to get along with, and full of herself. I wonder if this was a jab more at her than the character, who didn't seem to hit it off with the viewers to begin with?
Could be.

The headline is rather mean though LOL.

Ana75
Member Avatar

Great cover but I just wonder what other shocking confession there is to tell.

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

Matt
Dec 15 2009, 01:23 PM
~bl~
Dec 15 2009, 01:18 PM
Do you remember the wedding covers? Where they'd take the couple and do a big photoshoot in all their wedding regalia? I remember when RoJohn & Diana were *supposed* to get married and they had a wedding cover, but the wedding didn't actually happen because of some last-minute rewrite. I remember that some of those couple-covers actually became definitive couple photos for several super couples.
I think the last wedding DOOL went all out with the photoshoots was the last Lucas and Sami wedding. I don't even remember anything that much promoting the Shelle wedding that followed that fall.

~bl~
Member Avatar

Yes I remember the wedding covers especially the Roman/Diana one. That was very strange. I seldom look at art direction at the magazines now.

dc cubs
Member Avatar

I agree that the covers for both SOD and SOW are so bad compared to what they used to be. The mags had photo shoots for each cover but now due to budgets they use stock photos of actors. I remember that Roman/Diana cover and wondering WTF happened as they never did get married.

I'm sure it is only a matter of time before SOD and SOW merge into one soap magazine. With the cancellation of ATWT there will not be enough content to keep two magazines afloat. My guess is the SOD name will outlast SOW as it has been around longer and has the larger circulation base.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

dc cubs
Dec 15 2009, 07:47 PM
I agree that the covers for both SOD and SOW are so bad compared to what they used to be. The mags had photo shoots for each cover but now due to budgets they use stock photos of actors. I remember that Roman/Diana cover and wondering WTF happened as they never did get married.

I'm sure it is only a matter of time before SOD and SOW merge into one soap magazine. With the cancellation of ATWT there will not be enough content to keep two magazines afloat. My guess is the SOD name will outlast SOW as it has been around longer and has the larger circulation base.
I'm amazed those individual network magazines still survive.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply