Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOD Cover and Preview, Dec 29 issue
Topic Started: Dec 15 2009, 11:47 AM (3,515 Views)
Harmony233

ladyofthelake
Dec 15 2009, 01:26 PM
PhoenixRising05
Dec 15 2009, 12:15 PM
OneBadKitty
Dec 15 2009, 11:59 AM
It's either Y&R or Days for them.
Or GH.

I love that "FINALLY!" with the Stacy pic at the top LOL.

OUCH! to this, LOL.
I heard that particular actress was really difficult to get along with, and full of herself. I wonder if this was a jab more at her than the character, who didn't seem to hit it off with the viewers to begin with?
Weird thing is CH seemed to get along with her guiding light cast mates when she was on GL.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Q Steph
Member Avatar
Put your hands up for Obama

I think the cover is disrespectful to Crystal Hunt.

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

ITA. I can't stand the character of Stacy Morasco but the headline is just mean-spirited in a really unnecessary way.

eta: It would be one thing if it was "OUT (Finally!)" or "GONE (Finally!)" but "FIRED (Finally!)" makes it clear this is not about the character but about the actress and SOD being glad she's finally lost her job.
Edited by IMissAremid, Dec 15 2009, 09:26 PM.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

dc cubs
Dec 15 2009, 07:47 PM
I agree that the covers for both SOD and SOW are so bad compared to what they used to be. The mags had photo shoots for each cover but now due to budgets they use stock photos of actors. I remember that Roman/Diana cover and wondering WTF happened as they never did get married.

I'm sure it is only a matter of time before SOD and SOW merge into one soap magazine. With the cancellation of ATWT there will not be enough content to keep two magazines afloat. My guess is the SOD name will outlast SOW as it has been around longer and has the larger circulation base.
I'm shocked it hasn't happened already. Both mags have survived on their own much longer then I thought after the early 2000's which saw the end of most soap mags. I always figured one day they would consolidate under the SOD name. I do think it will happen soon.

I also remember the Roman/Diana cover. That was very strange. I've never read much on what happened with that either as far as why they never married. Obviously, the story changed but I wonder why?

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

ladyofthelake
Dec 15 2009, 08:13 PM
dc cubs
I agree that the covers for both SOD and SOW are so bad compared to what they used to be. The mags had photo shoots for each cover but now due to budgets they use stock photos of actors. I remember that Roman/Diana cover and wondering WTF happened as they never did get married.

I'm sure it is only a matter of time before SOD and SOW merge into one soap magazine. With the cancellation of ATWT there will not be enough content to keep two magazines afloat. My guess is the SOD name will outlast SOW as it has been around longer and has the larger circulation base.
I'm amazed those individual network magazines still survive.
I think with ATWT gone next year we will see the end of the CBS one. Perhaps that will also mean the end of the ABC one too as maybe they may not want to only keep one of them around as the NBC one's been gone for a long time now.

cassie1013

ladyofthelake
dc cubs

LOL, yeah, me too. The circulation on the soap mags must be pretty small, anyway.

SOW and SOD will have to merge - aren't they owned by the same publisher? Why the need for two publications anyway?

With a the possibility of there being only 5 soaps around the corner, I think it would be wise to merge SOW and SOD and then focus 50% of the content on primetime soaps/web series etc. Make it simply a all-soap opera/TV mag, and just name it "SOD."
Edited by cassie1013, Dec 16 2009, 12:39 AM.

cassie1013

PhoenixRising05
Dec 15 2009, 11:44 PM
ladyofthelake
dc cubs

I think with ATWT gone next year we will see the end of the CBS one. Perhaps that will also mean the end of the ABC one too as maybe they may not want to only keep one of them around as the NBC one's been gone for a long time now.
When was there an NBC one? They've only ever had 2 soaps at a time, so just curious (wasn't it Another World/Days and then Passions/Days?).

Who publishes the "in-depth" editions? It's not inter-link, I don't think...or is it?? Either way, I can't see the CBS one lasting with only 2 soaps at 1.5 hrs. ABC will go on, I don't forsee them becoming a two soap network anytime in the next year or so.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

cassie1013
Dec 16 2009, 12:16 AM
PhoenixRising05
ladyofthelake
dc cubs

When was there an NBC one? They've only ever had 2 soaps at a time, so just curious (wasn't it Another World/Days and then Passions/Days?).

Who publishes the "in-depth" editions? It's not inter-link, I don't think...or is it?? Either way, I can't see the CBS one lasting with only 2 soaps at 1.5 hrs. ABC will go on, I don't forsee them becoming a two soap network anytime in the next year or so.
The NBC one had Sunset Beach, Another World, and Days and then I think it covered Passions until Sunset got cancelled. Once NBC dropped to two soaps, the NBC one ended. That is why the CBS one will most likely end. The reason why I think the ABC one might is that the publisher may not want to bother with just one network. I have no idea who owns them though.

I do think SOD and SOW had the same publisher at one point but I want to say that one of them got a new publisher at some point recently. I do think your right in that they will consolidate sometime in the next two years and maybe become half primetime dramas/soaps and half daytime soaps. That's been something that has been coming or years and I'm shocked it hasn't occurred already.
Edited by PhoenixRising05, Dec 16 2009, 12:22 AM.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

cassie1013
PhoenixRising05
ladyofthelake
dc cubs

There was an NBC SID when the line up was Sunset Beach, Days, and Another World. They cancelled the NBC edition when AW & SuBe ended leaving NBC with just Passions and Days because the didn't see the point to a regular mag covering just 2 shows. I bet CBS SID & ABC SID merge into just one edition of SID covering all networks.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Matt
Dec 16 2009, 12:22 AM
cassie1013
PhoenixRising05
ladyofthelake

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep

There was an NBC SID when the line up was Sunset Beach, Days, and Another World. They cancelled the NBC edition when AW & SuBe ended leaving NBC with just Passions and Days because the didn't see the point to a regular mag covering just 2 shows. I bet CBS SID & ABC SID merge into just one edition of SID covering all networks.
Oh, I think your right! They will probably just merge to just one SID and maybe cover a little Days too.

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

cassie1013
Dec 16 2009, 12:12 AM
ladyofthelake
dc cubs

LOL, yeah, me too. The circulation on the soap mags must be pretty small, anyway.

SOW and SOD will have to merge - aren't they owned by the same publisher? Why the need for two publications anyway?

With a the possibility of there being only 5 soaps around the corner, I think it would be wise to merge SOW and SOD and then focus 50% of the content on primetime soaps/web series etc. Make it simply a all-soap opera/TV mag, and just name it "SOD."
If it is or becomes more cost effective to merge SOD and SOW I'm sure the mags will be merged, but I disagree that it is automatically a better business decision to combine the two mags into one edition.

Keeping the mags separate allows them to have two products to sell to soap viewing consumers. I'm sure they have already combined their ad/circulation departments and editorially for the most part as well so all the cost savings from merging save for the printing costs have already been achieved.

Having the two separate publications gives them more ad space to sell and more possible subscription and newsstand sales than there would be if there was only one mag.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply