Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOD Best & Worst -- 2001
Topic Started: Dec 16 2009, 01:45 PM (566 Views)
Mason
Member Avatar

BEST COUPLE

JACK AND PHYLLIS, THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS

The pairing of charming rich guy Jack and headstrong former psycho Phyllis was an unusual gamble for the carefully plotted Y&R. Sure, he's been known to sleep with the wrong people (stepmom Jill) and do his share of scheming, but Jack is a pretender to the throne of the hit-and-run driving, octopus-planting former Mrs. Danny Romalotti. But - like good couples in real life - these two complement each other. She brings out the lighter, nuttier side of the Jabot exec, while he grounds the insatiable Web mistress. His family's disapproval, combined with her silent ache for her absent son (and the kids she can probably never give Jack) add to the rooting interest, giving layers to this odd couple. And what other soap vixen could believably seduce her man sporting a Little Bo Peep outfit?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mason
Member Avatar

MOST BORING COUPLE

ROY AND MELISSA, GENERAL HOSPITAL

It speaks volumes about the development of a couple when impeccable actors such as A Martinez (Roy) and Jensen Buchanan (Melissa) can't suck us in. But from the earliest inkling that their characters might be teamed up, it was difficult to be enthusiastic, mainly because both Roy and Melissa have remained so ill-defined. Melissa came to town seeking to make a life with the man responsible for dimeing out her brother. Roy, conflicted over his role in Leo's downfall, was involved in a romantic redux with long-ago love Bobbie. What transpired was muddled, as Bobbie was uncharacteristically made to throw over Roy to pave the way for romance for Roy and Melissa. But who were this duo and why should we care about them? Melissa, who appeared wily at first, is simply golden-hearted. Roy? He's just going along for the ride. If we are to become involved in their dance, at least set it to music.

Mason
Member Avatar

BEST TEEN COUPLE

SHAWN AND BELLE, DAYS OF OUR LIVES

Perhaps it's the fact that it took two years for them to get together. Or because they're the offspring of the show's most popular supercouples. Or maybe it's just that they're so realistic. From their first date at the Last Blast Dance to their action-packed summer on the island, Belle and Shawn's budding romance has been exactly what a teen love story should be: stolen kisses, shy hand-holding and first-relationship awkwardness. And, of course, insecurity and misunderstandings. Shawn's interest in Jan worried Belle, and Belle's sexual aggressiveness gives Shawn pause. All of which is overseen with concern and compassion by John, Hope, Marlena and Bo, ever on hand to dispense advice and counseling. As a result, the appealing romance of Shawn and Belle rings true - for viewers of all ages.

2001'S MOST REJUVENATED CHARACTERS
1. JAKE, ALL MY CHILDREN
2. JACK, AS THE WORLD TURNS
3. RICK, GUIDING LIGHT

Mason
Member Avatar

BEST TRIANGLE

TODD/BLAIR/MAX, ONE LIFE TO LIVE

Triangles are hard to spin: Two men love the same woman, or vice versa, ad infinitum. But when it comes to Blair and Todd, very little is usual - and with Max in the mix, anything is possible. Max is the odd man out in this trio: Nobody cares for him, and he doesn't really care for Blair, who initially kissed up to Max to avoid being jailed for shooting him. Later on, Blair told Max that Todd's baby was really his and proposed marriage to avoid getting shut down again by Todd, who lives in an emotional wasteland that's virtually impossible to reach. Endlessly frustrating yet complex, this threesome thrived not on too much affection, but not enough. And that also made it forever rich, uniquely surprising and ultimately satisfying.

Mason
Member Avatar

WORST TRIANGLE

BRYANT/JENNIFER/BILLY, AS THE WORLD TURNS

Maybe it didn't work because we never got Jennifer and Bryant. Drawn together by...what, exactly? The fact that he was the only boy her age in town whom she wasn't related to? Kept mired in angst (not their own, but their parents'), this young couple never found their footing, stumbling around in their tortured-rich-kids-in-love tango for a whole year. It actually should have helped when working-class, look-me-up-in-your-ATWT-history-book Billy cut in and seduced Jen right out of his cousin's sexually frustrated arms, but we didn't spot that supposed instant chemical reaction, either. It's no wonder Bryant had to die to end it all, and thankfully, Billy and Jen don't seem that interested in picking up where they left off. Which is a good thing, because for this tepid trio, even two is a crowd.

Mason
Member Avatar

MOST INNOVATIVE STORY

THE VAMPIRES, PORT CHARLES

Isn't a little irony good for the blood? This year, PC developed a taste for the red stuff, and the ensuing invasion of the undead (that is, vampires) injected some life into the sagging show. Doubts sucked out our interest at first. But Michael Easton's seductive Caleb turned us around as the batty story took wing. Innocent Livvie became devious as his pawn/love interest; Jack and Gabriela were once-bitten and not shy, battling their own transformations. Shockingly enough, new light was shed on Lucy: She's a vampire slayer! Move over, Buffy. The classic tale of good vs. evil united an entire town - and roused the audience. Bloody good show.

Mason
Member Avatar

MOST MISGUIDED STORY

TONY'S HIV, THE BOLD AND THE BEAUTIFUL

We've already taken B&B to task for the breakneck speed at which it coupled Tony and Kristen. But on the heels of their whirlwind courtship came a plot twist that bogged it down further: Tony's HIV-positive status. In an instant, the already tenuous romance factor was replaced with fear, anxiety and dread. B&B responsibly presented important facts about HIV (though we could have done without Kristen's uncomfortably frank sex talk with dad Eric). The attempt to deal with this important social issue was certainly admirable. But such heavy subject matter is a risk even with an established couple; Kristen and Tony's brand-new romance was crushed under the weight of all those good intentions.

Mason
Member Avatar

BEST WEDDING

ETHAN/THERESA/LUIS/SHERIDAN, PASSIONS

When Ethan and Theresa, and Luis and Sheridan prepared to finally get hitched on PASSIONS, we cried. From laughing, that is. As the double nups proceeded, Ethan's mom, Ivy, burst into the church with the (erroneous) bombshell that his bride had leaked his true paternity to a tabloid. Sure, interrupted weddings are de rigueur, but did we mention that Ivy was behind the wheel of a car when she made her entrance? The moment was played to the campy hilt. "Going to the Chapel" was blaring from the radio as Ivy raced to break up the ceremony. "I didn't have time to park," she snapped. Though the couples wound up feeling blue, PASSIONS made an old formula seem like something new.

Mason
Member Avatar

WORST ROMANTIC MOVE

MUSICAL COUPLES, PORT CHARLES

Where is the love? When PC adopted 12-week arcs this year, no one anticipated that the romances would also go sour after three months. We're talking about Kevin, Lucy, Ian and Eve, of course. Kevin and Lucy had a long history together, and then he suddenly wed "soul mate" Eve, who fled Kevin after finding out that Ian was her love from generations ago. Ooookay. Then, Kevin realized he was destined for Lucy - at least until "evil forces" caused Lucy to bed Ian, while Eve ran back to Kevin. Viewers tune in for romance, not bed hopping. Emotional investment in couples comes with time; yanking apart beloved pairings is hardly the payoff that the audience deserves.

Deleted User
Deleted User

I loved that double wedding on Passions. But they totally forgot to mention the best part. An off-screen Kay screaming her head off at the news she was pregnant!!! GOLD! That was then right?
Quote Post Goto Top

Mason
Member Avatar

BEST RETURN

SCOTT, GENERAL HOSPITAL

We never had to be reminded why we loved Scotty - devilish rogue since the day we met him, hint of mischief in his eyes at all times. Portrayer Kin Shriner's kind of appeal just doesn't leave a fan's mind. But the notion of Scott's return to GH (from sister show PORT CHARLES), ultimately landing him right back in a position where we knew him well - romancing former wife Laura - has only endeared him to us more. Scott is more mellow these days. We don't expect to find him plotting to break up marriages or ruin lives, as he did in the good old days (i.e., the late '70s). But that hasn't made him any less formidable a character. Now, his agenda is about winning Laura the right way. That doesn't mean he won't spar with Luke or try to steer Laura away from Spencer. But what this does is create no wrong side to a Luke/Laura/Scott configuration. From what we see of this charmer, his angle has never been more right.

Mason
Member Avatar

Amello
Dec 16 2009, 09:22 PM
I loved that double wedding on Passions. But they totally forgot to mention the best part. An off-screen Kay screaming her head off at the news she was pregnant!!! GOLD! That was then right?
LoL, no, that happened a year and a half later.

Deleted User
Deleted User

Mason
Dec 16 2009, 09:25 PM
Amello
So whose wedding was it then? I totally forget.
Quote Post Goto Top

Mason
Member Avatar

MOST INNOVATIVE RETURN

JESSE, ALL MY CHILDREN

It was a dark day in 1988 when super-popular Jesse was killed on ALL MY CHILDREN. Actor Darnell Williams briefly reprised the role in 1994, when Jesse's spirit appeared to Tad, but how far can you take a ghost story? As it turns out, as far as the imagination can go. You could say the late Jesse is in the travel business. He was assigned to ease Gillian's transition to the afterlife. Thanks to Williams's comedic prowess, the character's re-emergence proved heavenly. For old-timers, it's a treat to revisit Tad and Jesse's friendship, as well as the chemistry between Williams and Michael E. Knight (Tad). Newer viewers still get a kick out of the zaniness. Could you just scream when Jesse told Tad he'd been "touched by a homey"? AMC's forays into the supernatural this year were mostly clumsy, but with this tale, we could really get into the spirit.

Mason
Member Avatar

Amello
Dec 16 2009, 09:28 PM
Mason
Amello
That was at Miguel and Charity's wedding when that happened.

Eric83
Member Avatar
"Relax nobody's having sex.... at least not yet"

Mason
Dec 16 2009, 09:30 PM
Amello
Dec 16 2009, 09:28 PM
Mason
Amello
That was at Miguel and Charity's wedding when that happened.
Loved that Charity/Miguel non- wedding. Passions at its best.

Eric83
Member Avatar
"Relax nobody's having sex.... at least not yet"

What was named Best Show this year?

Poker Face
Member Avatar
"I like to be on top, Darling." - John Ross/Pamela

Mason
Dec 16 2009, 01:45 PM
BEST COUPLE

JACK AND PHYLLIS, THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS

The pairing of charming rich guy Jack and headstrong former psycho Phyllis was an unusual gamble for the carefully plotted Y&R. Sure, he's been known to sleep with the wrong people (stepmom Jill) and do his share of scheming, but Jack is a pretender to the throne of the hit-and-run driving, octopus-planting former Mrs. Danny Romalotti. But - like good couples in real life - these two complement each other. She brings out the lighter, nuttier side of the Jabot exec, while he grounds the insatiable Web mistress. His family's disapproval, combined with her silent ache for her absent son (and the kids she can probably never give Jack) add to the rooting interest, giving layers to this odd couple. And what other soap vixen could believably seduce her man sporting a Little Bo Peep outfit?

yes,i loved this phack!!!!thanks to mab they are forever destroyed!!!!

blueskies
Member Avatar

Mason
Dec 16 2009, 09:15 PM
BEST WEDDING

ETHAN/THERESA/LUIS/SHERIDAN, PASSIONS

When Ethan and Theresa, and Luis and Sheridan prepared to finally get hitched on PASSIONS, we cried. From laughing, that is. As the double nups proceeded, Ethan's mom, Ivy, burst into the church with the (erroneous) bombshell that his bride had leaked his true paternity to a tabloid. Sure, interrupted weddings are de rigueur, but did we mention that Ivy was behind the wheel of a car when she made her entrance? The moment was played to the campy hilt. "Going to the Chapel" was blaring from the radio as Ivy raced to break up the ceremony. "I didn't have time to park," she snapped. Though the couples wound up feeling blue, PASSIONS made an old formula seem like something new.
I loved this story line. As much as I wanted the wedding to continue for Ethan and Theresa, I remember just screaming 'thank you Ivy' because by stopping the wedding, Sheridan didn't die from that poisoned ring! These first few years of Passions were great. Although it helped that I hadn't really ever watched any soaps prior, and even though I was watching Days at the same time I didn't know the common soap themes. So when someone died I thought it was for good and when they came back I freaked out because I was so happy.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Soap Opera History & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply