Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Passions Discussion
Topic Started: Dec 16 2009, 04:41 PM (12,391 Views)
KMan101
Member Avatar

I could totally see that entire reasoning for why things shifted as they did. It makes sense. Could it be just a fan? Probably, but it's still an interesting read and again, makes a lot of sense.

It really would have been interesting to see someone else writing Passions had it continued and JER passed on. I think had Passions maintained it's original dark comedy soap route that it was on in 1999, 2000 and 2001, it could have left a better impact. Would it still be around? Who knows?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

PassionateSoapy
Member Avatar

:frownie: I really miss Passions. It was maddeningly addictive and I do also wonder how it would have done on with out the JER. OH well I at least got most of my OTP. :hug:

PassionateSoapy
Member Avatar

:frownie: I really miss Passions too. It drove me crazy but I loved it anyway. *sigh* I atleast got most of my fave couples in the end unlike AMC. :badmood:

blueskies
Member Avatar

i miss Passions too :( & i know, right?! NEVER did I think Passions would have had a better ending than AMC. I mean, I truly hated the way Passions ended with Sheridan & Luis apart. But AMC....that was just a BAD ending. NO WAY is PP going to get even half of those actors to sign on. I know they need to keep people interested, but for me, in many ways I would have preferred it had ended with dignity on TV.

blueskies
Member Avatar

I was talking to the makeup artist/best friend of the lead singer of my favorite group (Dixie Chicks) on twitter, and I couldn't believe it, but he was also a huge Passions fan! Goes to show how many ppl loved this show :)

PassionateSoapy
Member Avatar

to rewatch Passions subscribe to PassionsTV on YouTube.com . the first 3 years are on there! :cloud9: :hug: :chee: :popcorn: :wub:
Edited by PassionateSoapy, Oct 7 2011, 03:29 PM.

sonemfan4life

hm relied on her boobs to sell her charcter since she didnt have much skill acting wise. danica stewart sucked but men found her hot. i remember her getting a short lived web soap

into_the_skyline
Member Avatar

I wish I knew there were people here discussing the show!!! I've been posting on TWoP and SON about my viewing, but nobody really responds. I watched the show on and off probably 2004 until the end, including pretty much the entire DirecTV run. I saw the Sci Fi episodes, but beyond that this is all new to me. I'm in heaven. I didn't realize just how traditional Passions was in the beginning. It's a regular soap structure with a variety of family and the only supernatural stuff is really focused on the Bennett family. Lots of diversity and the show has something for everyone. I also don't think the acting is as bad as I remembered (or how people make it out to be). In fact, overall I think their younger cast is one of the strongest assembled on soaps.

Right now I'm at work watching the week of November 8th 1999 and I have episodes through July 2000. I need to make another purchase soon. As a Y&R fan the pacing really doesn't bother me. This is one thing JER clearly learned from Bill Bell. Plus having watched the final years I know how long it'll take for these stories to wrap so I'm not stressing over it lol. Just watching and enjoying it. I first tried to watch Port Charles because I was looking to watch a soap complete from the beginning, but that was just terrible. Glad it worked out this way.

My favorite characters are Kay and Simone, so it's sad knowing both don't last longer. I remember HATING the second Simone, what little I saw of her. Something that DOES shock me is seeing Chad brought on as a potential love interest for Simone, yet I remember him as Whitney's man and Simone always trying to steal him away. I can't wait to see this develop. Also, unpopular opinion, but I prefer Charles Divins as Chad.

blueskies
Member Avatar

^you can probably download most of the first few years for free from CraneEstate. They have soooo many eppi's there. (or they did, i haven't checked in there in at least a year i think....)

btw, i totally agree w/u :) Loved Passions, and will always. But the first few years, 1999-2003, will always be my favorites.

Only thing I disagree with is Charles Divins. Sorry! I preferred 1st Chad by far. Charles wasn't bad, but for me he just didn't have that "I had a terrible childhood" vibe to him.
Edited by blueskies, Oct 29 2011, 08:56 PM.

into_the_skyline
Member Avatar

I just liked Charles more because I thought he was so damn cute lol. I was absolutely gutted when he didn't continue with DirecTV. I was so sad to see Simone, Chad and Whitney go. I would've done everything in my power to keep those characters on. At the very least Simone so Eve had at least one sane child and since that character had room to grow still.

PassionateSoapy
Member Avatar

I kinda liked Chad #1 mostly because he was always pushing Ethan to finally be with Theresa and thy had a cool friendship too. #2 was techically good looking but I never liked him especially he was all over Whitney and then stalking her when they thought they were half siblings. :puke: Theresa and Kay were my favorite females of the show.I was So glad when whiney and helpless Charity left of course soon after so did Miggs but he came back ans finally realized how stupid he was for not choosing Kay. I am so glad I got my two fave couples in the end Theresa finally married Ethan legally. But not before Kay And Miguel got married and he accepted shes a good witch. :D

Edge1978
Member Avatar

I remember back in 1999 when I would watch B&B and my Mom and her sisters would say. "OMG remember back in the first few years when so and so did this and that". I was getting sick of hearing that so I wanted to watch a soap from the very beginning. And along came Passions...Man was I in for a treat.

I had to stop after Sheridan's upteenth death. I also didn't like that a day in Passions lasted a few weeks. It was like they were taking the same episode and just changing some words around and repeating it daily(i.e. reveal episodes). "Sam will know the truth...next day..I will tell Sam the truth and the following day Sam is going to find out TODAY" It was just getting on my nerves.

I think the one thing that also got to me was when Charity was poisoned and she was cupping her stomach and immediately Miguel asks. "Charity, are you ok? you are acting like you've been poisoned" WTF? Nobody had a stomach ache in Harmony ever before? I liked Jesse when he was on DH, but in Passion's early days I couldn't FF fast enough through his scenes.

Needless to say I stopped watching right after Timmy died.
Edited by Edge1978, Nov 8 2011, 04:12 PM.

into_the_skyline
Member Avatar

Right now I'm almost finished with 1999. They did a good job setting the show up and I'm pumped for next year. Only major complaint is seeing how heavily featured Eve's backstory is when I know how long it takes for that story to unravel. During the original series that was probably one of my favorite stories. I can't wait for Liz to arrive and be involved.

LOVE LOVE LOVE that Gwen seems to be onto Theresa and is starting to turn into that fabulous vixen I remember her as. Now just waiting on Marsha Brady as the original Rebecca. Does anybody know around what time of the year she arrives in 2000?

blueskies
Member Avatar

Idk but I was def glad she didn't last long! Lol, if she had stayed, Rebecca wouldn't have been nearly as entertaining.

into_the_skyline
Member Avatar

I'm curious to see her in the role, but Andrea Evans totally owned it. I wonder how her early Rebecca was as well.

blueskies
Member Avatar

I was watching during that time, from what I remember she played a very good socialite mom, whom you'd have no prob believing was a wasp, but of course that's pretty much the opposite of Andrea's Rebecca, lol.

Checkers
Member Avatar

I loved Passions (the early years at least). I remember all the promos for it before it premiered. When I finally saw it, it wasn't what I was expecting. I watched it everyday during the Summer. It was the one soap I remember all my friends watched.

I loved Ethan/Theresa. I always rooted for Kay. I had a soft spot for her.
Edited by Checkers, Dec 18 2011, 05:38 PM.

into_the_skyline
Member Avatar

I'm still watching! I've finally reached the second week of January 2000. I feel like I'm moving too slow. I have episodes through July, but need to hurry and buy at least the rest of 2000. Hopefully that will inspire me to watch faster. Since so many soaps are getting canceled, I truly view this as a current soap and am loving it.

Right now they just had this fabulous New Years Eve party which seems to be setting up the things I remember from my time watching. One thing that confuses me is Martin returning and trying to kill Sheridan before dying himself. Of course I know the character came back later so I'm curious what Julian is up to here. Maybe this is an evil twin. There is also good traction in the Ivy/Sam romance. By the time I was watching Grace was almost gone (or at least wasn't with Sam IIRC) so I'm loving seeing how they got there.

The one story I'm most interested in is probably Simone and Whitney's relationship. Of course I remember Chad only with Whitney, so it's weird seeing that he's brought on for Simone. I always viewed Simone as the bad seed, not knowing Whitney basically did steal her man. Even if Chad wasn't into Simone like she was him, Whitney should've never gone there for the sake of the relationship with her sister.

Also, so far I still don't find the pacing on the show bad. I never really did find Passions *that* slow. I know it is (and also very repetitive), but I find it such an entertaining hour. Hell, I need the recapping anyway so it's fine by me.

Snowing Fan
Member Avatar

Passions debuted 13 years ago today.

Virgo Twins
Member Avatar

We miss Passions too. Eve Russell was our favorite character. though must admit the last season should have been better. We did love Evian (Eve and Julian).

Now we are hooked on Days of Our Lives, we were watching Days too when we were watching Passions. Now all we have left is Days so get it together yall.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Soap Opera History & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply