Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Dark Shadows Discussion
Topic Started: Dec 16 2009, 04:45 PM (438 Views)
Miss Rhi
Member Avatar
"If Sami can't find happiness with a Martian, then she can't find happiness with anyone."

Dark Shadows
1966 - 1971

Discuss Dark Shadows here.
Edited by Mason, Dec 16 2009, 04:57 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mason
Member Avatar

I'm currently watching episodes from late 1968 on DVD. The Adam and Eve storyline is winding down and, in spite of how awful that plot was, I find Marie Wallace to be an absolute delight as Eve. Does anyone know if she comes back as another character after Eve is gone? (I suppose I could just look on IMDb or Wikipedia, but I'm feeling a bit lazy LoL)

Mason
Member Avatar

Ewwwww. I just read that Nancy Barrett (Carolyn) was married to David Ford (Sam) for a couple of years! LoL

Deleted User
Deleted User

Mason
Dec 30 2009, 07:09 PM
Ewwwww. I just read that Nancy Barrett (Carolyn) was married to David Ford (Sam) for a couple of years! LoL
Was she high?
Quote Post Goto Top

Mason
Member Avatar

Amello
Dec 30 2009, 07:14 PM
Mason
Dec 30 2009, 07:09 PM
Was she high?
Well, it was the '60s, so......probably, LoL.

Mason
Member Avatar

Sweet merciful crap...Alexandra Moltke's replacement was more awful than I dared even imagine. What a shrill, horrid little bitch.

Mason
Member Avatar

Yes! PLEASE throw yourself off of Widows' Hill, horrible nuVicky!

Mason
Member Avatar

I'm really getting sick of this Amy Jennings brat.

jam6242
Member Avatar

Mason
Dec 30 2009, 12:35 PM
I'm currently watching episodes from late 1968 on DVD. The Adam and Eve storyline is winding down and, in spite of how awful that plot was, I find Marie Wallace to be an absolute delight as Eve. Does anyone know if she comes back as another character after Eve is gone? (I suppose I could just look on IMDb or Wikipedia, but I'm feeling a bit lazy LoL)
Marie Wallace comes back at least 2 more times as different characters that I remember. My favorite is "Crazy Jenny."

Mason
Member Avatar

jam6242
Jan 4 2010, 10:10 PM
Mason
Marie Wallace comes back at least 2 more times as different characters that I remember. My favorite is "Crazy Jenny."
Woo hoo! I freaking ADORED her as Eve (even though it was a shitty story)!

Thank you for that wonderful piece of information!

jam6242
Member Avatar

Mason
Jan 4 2010, 10:14 PM
jam6242
Jan 4 2010, 10:10 PM
Mason
Woo hoo! I freaking ADORED her as Eve (even though it was a shitty story)!

Thank you for that wonderful piece of information!
I agree that Marie is the best thing about the Adam and Eve storyline. That was always one of my least favorite on the show.

RutherfordBHayes

Joan Bennett Centennial

My tribute to Joan Bennett

Joan Bennett, the youngest of the three acting daughters of legendary stage and screen star Richard Bennett, was born on February 27, 1910 in Palisades, New Jersey. She reluctantly followed in her older sisters' (Constance and Barbara) footsteps. Ironically, of the three, she had the most sustainable and prolific career of them all.

She acted in numerous films during the 1930s, most notably, Disraeli (1929)and Little Women , the latter released in 1933, in which she played Amy March, while Katharine Hepburn played her sister, Jo.

Seeing limited prospects in the films being offered to her, Joan made a dramatic change in her appearance. Looking back, Ms. Bennett said: "I turned my blonde hair dark and received much better parts..." One important role that alluded her, however, was the role of Scarlett O'Hara in Gone With the Wind. Severely disappointed, Joan was said to have said at the time, "If only Vivian Leigh had stayed in England, the part would have been mine."

With a new hair color and style, Bennett was the very essence of a sultry femme fatale. Her two most highly regarded films of the period were, The Woman in the Window and Scarlet Street , both directed by Fritz Lang, in which she played opposite Edward G. Robinson. On screen, Bennett was able to capture a variety of emotions: A sense of vulnerability on the outside, but also a cold iciness on the inside. She was also not afraid to accept a variety of films, be they costumed epics, tearjerkers or melodramas.

In her essay, The Glamorous Bennett Sisters: Constance and Joan,' author Dina-Marie Kulzer relates a most unusual story:

"The entire Bennett family was known for their arguments with the press. Once during a well-publicized dispute, Joan had a de-scented skunk delivered to powerful Hollywood columnist Hedda Hopper. Hopper later gave the skunk to James and Pamela Mason as a companion for their cats, but not before christening it "Joan.". Her contemporaries were shocked that Joan had the nerve to do such a thing to Hopper, who it was thought had the power to make and break careers; however, Joan had no qualms about it."

In 1950, Bennett turned 40, an age, which to many actresses meant the end of their film careers. But, Joan persevered, and broke the barrier. She started the decade by playing the wife of Spencer Tracy and mother to Elizabeth Taylor in the highly successful 'Father of the Bride.'

Bennett's career soared in the 1940s not only because of her change of hair color but also because of her marriage to film producer Walter Wanger. Wanger managed her career and also produced many of the films in which she appeared. Their relationship created international headlines in 1951 when Wanger shot Bennett's agent Jennings Lang, purportedly out of jealousy; Wanger went briefly to prison. The scandal proved devastating to Bennett's career. Remembering this dark period in her life, Bennett said: I might as well have pulled the trigger myself."

From the mid-1950s to the mid-1960's, Bennett was, virtually, blacklisted, and was considered box office poison as a result of the scandal.

But, in April of 1966, Joan Bennett re-emerged in the most unlikely of venues, playing one of the leading roles in the Gothic soap opera, Dark Shadows. Within a year of its debut, Dark Shadows was, undoubtedly, one of the most most talked about shows on daytime television. Astounded by her success, Bennett said, at the time: "I feel positively like a Beatle," in response to the attention she was getting with playing Elizabeth Collins Stoddard, the mistress of Collingswood Mansion. Bennett stayed with the series for its entire daytime run from 1966 - 71. She went on to reprise her role in the theatrically produced film, House of Dark Shadows.

Joan Bennett passed away in her Scarsdale home at the age of 80 on December 7, 1990. In her autobiography, The Bennett Playbill, which she co-wrote in 1970 with her good friend and fellow actress Lois Kibbee, Joan looked back on her career, by saying:

"I'm aware of the priceless privilege of having been born into the theater. Although it was a career I rejected at first, the profession has given me an incredibly varied life and more than my fair share of success, failure, love, laughter and despair. I've not a single regret for any of it."

Edited by RutherfordBHayes, Feb 8 2010, 11:30 AM.

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

I loved 1795, but never could make it past the dream curse. The show completely botched Vicki's return to 1968, especially with that flash engagement to Barnibus after he gave her basically a 'we both arent getting any younger' speech.

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

RutherfordBHayes
Feb 7 2010, 06:18 PM
Within a year of its debut, Dark Shadows was, undoubtedly, one of the most popular and most talked about shows on daytime television.
um, that is not true.

Grandpa Hughes
Member Avatar
"Dedicated to the brotherhood of healing. "

Ahhh what do you know? You thought Grayson Hall gave hammy performances! Humph! :drunk:

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

Like she didnt :lol:

Grandpa Hughes
Member Avatar
"Dedicated to the brotherhood of healing. "

Drew
Oct 23 2010, 05:04 PM
Like she didnt :lol:
She was TERRIFIC I tell ya!! My friend just about fell on the floor laughing when I told him about your posts agreeing with him! That "Mrs Parker" shot was a classic! :drunk:

RutherfordBHayes

Hello! I need your help. I have been invited to speak before the American Popualr Culture Association at their annual conference in San Antonio, Texas in mid-April. I spoke at their last conference in St. Louis in April 2010. My topic is 'The History of Soap Fan-Dom.' I want to discuss the evolution of when it was, virtually, impossible for a fan to contact or hear from a soap star, to the era of large scale fan club luncheons, and now soap cruises, etc...I have attended a DS Fan Club event in the past and was amazed at the crowds...I told my wife at the time that you would think that there was a reunion of all FOUR Beatles...in any event, I have written the DS website twice for a request for an interview, but have not heard anything. I think it is a testimony to not only DS but to also the power of soap operas that a show that has been gone for nearly 40 years (in first run shows) can inspire such fan devotion. I welcome any and all responses from DS fans on the Daytime Royalty Board, and will properly credit you in my presentation. Thanking you in advance...

Sunni

Grandpa Hughes
Oct 23 2010, 04:53 PM
Ahhh what do you know? You thought Grayson Hall gave hammy performances! Humph! :drunk:
I absolutely adore Julia. She's my favorite of the DS ladies. Even when I was watching as a kid I liked her much better than the silly young twits Vicki, Maggie, etc.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free
« Previous Topic · Soap Opera History & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply