Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Another World Discussion
Topic Started: Dec 16 2009, 04:46 PM (4,338 Views)
Miss Rhi
Member Avatar
"If Sami can't find happiness with a Martian, then she can't find happiness with anyone."

Another World
1964 - 1999

Discuss Another World here.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Eric83
Member Avatar
"Relax nobody's having sex.... at least not yet"

All the NBC soap fans on this board, and nobody is discussing?! Wow I'm shocked. Not an original viewr, just saw repeats on Soapnet, and clips on Youtube. It was a pretty interesting soap. I was a pure CBS watcher until 2001, I really missed out on this show and others.

What are you guys' favorite storylines? I haven't watched enough to have a favorite. But the repeats on Soapnet were REALLY good.

I also loved that last opening they used, it was so good.

Does anyone know why their ratings were so bad during the 90's. Wasn't DAYS their lead-on? It just suprises me that DAYS was challenging Y&R at #1, and AW was all the way at the bottom above The City, Port Charles, Sunset Beach, etc.
Edited by Eric83, Jan 10 2010, 06:56 PM.

Mason
Member Avatar

The only time I watched AW in its original run was in late 1998 when Marley went crazy and held Vicky prisoner in the basement.

I watched the reruns on SoapNet off and on from 1987-1989. I loved the Cass/Rex storyline, Sam and Amanda falling in love, Jason's murder, and Iris's return. I really loved the episodes where Reginald Love had the Frame kitchen bombed with Jason Frame and Mary McKinnon inside, then tried to kill Michael at the Love mansion before falling out the window with Donna and the mansion burning down.

I'm currently watching episodes from 1991 on Hulu.
Edited by Mason, Jan 10 2010, 06:57 PM.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

I love Another World in 1991. That was where the show was when I started watching the repeats on SoapNet. Once SoapNet stopped airing episodes in May '91, episodes started airing on Hulu and I continued to watch until about July or August when I just didn't have the time to watch the episodes anymore. It was right after Judi Evans joined as Paulina. Evans was the only Paulina I knew before I started watching AW, just from seeing some episodes in the late-90s. But after seeing the original Paulina, Calli Tamms (I think?), I prefer her.

AW was so good, storywise, in 1991. You had the Frankie/Cass/Kathleen triangle, which was one of the best written love triangles I've ever seen. There was no bad guy in the mix. It was one man truly torn between two great loves of his life at different times. The teen set, which wasn't even really a teen set because Jenna was the only teen and she was 17 going on 18 at the time, was actually good with Jenna, Matt and Dean. And then you had Lorna, who would associate with the younger cast, actually having a fling with Matt, but also having a weird and twisted relationship with Carly at the same time. Carl Hutchins was a great villain, not written like a cartoon. He puts the Stefano DiMera we've come to know over the years to shame and I never thought that was possible. I loved Iris Wheeler. Jake was a great anti-hero. Donna and her selfishness had me cracking up. And one of my favorite storylines in daytime history has to be the John/Sharlene/Taylor saga. It was a great psychological storyline and the writers did a fantastic job with it.
Edited by DrewHamilton, Jan 10 2010, 09:28 PM.

Mason
Member Avatar

DrewHamilton
Jan 10 2010, 09:22 PM
And one of my favorite storylines in daytime history has to be the John/Sharlene/Taylor saga. It was a great psychological storyline and the writers did a fantastic job with it.
Yes, this is my favorite storyline at the moment. The last episode I watched, Taylor had taken Sharlene to the creepy old amusement park (a great location shoot!).

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Mason
Jan 10 2010, 11:07 PM
DrewHamilton
Jan 10 2010, 09:22 PM
And one of my favorite storylines in daytime history has to be the John/Sharlene/Taylor saga. It was a great psychological storyline and the writers did a fantastic job with it.
Yes, this is my favorite storyline at the moment. The last episode I watched, Taylor had taken Sharlene to the creepy old amusement park (a great location shoot!).
OMG! Isn't it creepy?! I loved it.

Logan2010

When Jensen Buchanan took over as both Vicky and Marley from Anne Heche in late July '91, I had realized that Soap Opera Digest once named her Worst Recast of 1991! Yet, she stayed as Vicky for the final eight years on the show and played Marley on and off until Ellen Wheeler returned in '98.

Deleted User
Deleted User

Logan2010
Jan 10 2010, 11:19 PM
When Jensen Buchanan took over as both Vicky and Marley from Anne Heche in late July '91, I had realized that Soap Opera Digest once named her Worst Recast of 1991! Yet, she stayed as Vicky for the final eight years on the show and played Marley on and off until Ellen Wheeler returned in '98.
Jensen Buchanan - :x
Quote Post Goto Top

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

I hate Jensen Buchanan as Vicky and Marley. I want Anne Heche back.

Deleted User
Deleted User

DrewHamilton
Jan 10 2010, 11:36 PM
I've only seen clips here and there of AW and one of those is when Marley confronts Jake about the rape. Holy Shit. Anne Heche was FIERCE, STRONG, and absolutely THRILLING to watch.

Quote Post Goto Top

Logan2010

Wow. People hate Jensen's version as Vicky and thought Anne was great. I liked it rather than you guys do.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Amello
Jan 10 2010, 11:38 PM
DrewHamilton
Jan 10 2010, 11:36 PM
I've only seen clips here and there of AW and one of those is when Marley confronts Jake about the rape. Holy Shit. Anne Heche was FIERCE, STRONG, and absolutely THRILLING to watch.

Awesome scene! Who knew, years later, Jake would become regarded as the show's leading good guy?

Deleted User
Deleted User

Jake is my favorite male character from AW! I'm a huge Eplin fan and of course I adored Jake and Paulina, hence why I reunited the actors on my old Days fan-fic!
Quote Post Goto Top

Mason
Member Avatar

Anne Heche was the definitive Vicky/Marley. Jensen didn't even come close.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

I liked Jake and Paulina too, but I don't like Judi Evans' Paulina and things didn't get serious for them as a couple until after the recast.

Logan2010

Yeah well both of them are great in their roles but Jensen played these two characters the longest.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Logan2010
Jan 10 2010, 11:59 PM
Yeah well both of them are great in their roles but Jensen played these two characters the longest.
But Anne Heche has the Emmy. ;)

Logan2010

Right now it is time to think who is your favorite actor/actress in the role as original or recast.

Amanda: Sandra Ferguson, Christine Tucci or Laura Moss
Donna: Anna Stuart or Philece Sampler
Gary: Timothy Gibbs or John Littlefield
Grant: Dack Rambo or Mark Pinter
Iris: Beverlee McKinsey or Carmen Duncan
Jamie: Laurence Lau or Russell Todd
Josie: Alexandra Wilson, Amy Carlson or Nadine Stenovitch
Lorna: Alicia Coppola or Robin Christopher
Marley: Ellen Wheeler, Anne Heche or Jensen Buchanan
Matt: Matt Crane, Brian Krause or Jeff Phillips
Paulina: Cali Timmins or Judi Evans
Sam: Robert Kelker-Kelly, Danny Markel or Brian Lane Green
Vicky: Ellen Wheeler, Anne Heche or Jensen Buchanan

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Amanda: Sandra Ferguson
Donna: Anna Stuart
Grant: Dack Rambo
Iris: Carmen Duncan
Jamie: Russell Todd
Lorna: Alicia Coppola
Marley: Anne Heche
Matt: Matt Crane
Paulina: Cali Timmins
Sam: Brian Lane Green
Vicky: Anne Heche

Mason
Member Avatar

Amanda: Sandra Ferguson
Donna: Anna Stuart
Iris: Beverlee McKinsey
Jamie: Laurence Lau
Josie: Alexandra Wilson
Marley: Anne Heche
Matt: Matt Crane
Sam: Robert Kelker-Kelly
Vicky: Anne Heche

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Soap Opera History & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply