Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
As the World Turns Discussion
Topic Started: Dec 16 2009, 06:46 PM (1,182 Views)
Miss Rhi
Member Avatar
"If Sami can't find happiness with a Martian, then she can't find happiness with anyone."

As the World Turns
1956 - 2010

Discuss As the World Turns here.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

RutherfordBHayes

I have an idea...which, admittedly, has been done before. Ryan's Hope reruns have appeared on Soapnet. Dark Shadows reruns have appeared on the SciFan Channel. Almost immediately after their respective cancellations, P&G owned soaps, The Edge of Night' and 'Search for Tomorrow' appeared on the USA network. I would dearly love ATWT to continue with new episodes on a new network, but realize that it is a financial impossibility, so, why can't this happen as well?
Telenext/P&G could strike a deal to show ATWT & GL reruns on another network.
USA, if I recall, showed Edge's last 3 1/2 years running from them from late 1985 to early 1989, and when SFT ended, it immediately followed Edge. Edge was on 12 midnight, SFT at 12:30am...I would program my VCR (as I was working at third shift at the time)

Logan2010

Any older ATWT fans who have a favorite actor/actress in either original or recast character?

Alison: Jessica Dunphy or Marnie Schulenburg
Betsy: Meg Ryan or Lindsay Frost
Bonnie: Napiera Danielle Groves or Chauntee Schuler
Brad: Nick Kokotakis, John Loprieno or Austin Peck
Caleb: Michael David Morrison or Graham Winton
Casey: Zach Roerig or Billy Magnussen
Connor: Allyson Rice-Taylor or Susan Batten
Craig: Scott Bryce, Hunt Block, Jeffrey Meek or Jon Lindstrom
Dusty: Brian Bloom or Grayson McCouch
Emily: Melanie Smith or Kelley Menighan Hensley
Frannie: Julianne Moore or Mary Ellen Stuart
Jennifer: Kim Onasch or Jennifer Ferrin
Jessica: Tamara Tunie or Joanna Rhinehart
Lily: Lucy Deakins, Martha Byrne, Heather Rattray or Noelle Beck
Lucy: Peyton List or Spencer Grammer
Margo: Margaret Colin, Hillary B. Smith, Ellen Dolan or Glynnis O'Connor
Meg: Jennifer Ashe or Marie Wilson
Nikki: Jordana Brewster or McKenzie Satterthwaite
Paul: Andrew Kavovit, Scott Holroyd or Roger Howarth
Rosanna: Yvonne Perry or Cady McClain
Sabrina: Julianne Moore or Claire Beckham
Samantha: Brooke Alexander or Sherri Alexander
Sierra: Finn Carter or Mary Beth Evans
Tom: Justin Deas, Gregg Marx or Scott Holmes

Mason
Member Avatar

Alison: Jessica Dunphy
Betsy: Meg Ryan
Bonnie: Napiera Danielle Groves
Brad: John Loprieno
Craig: Scott Bryce
Dusty: Brian Bloom
Emily: Kelley Menighan Hensley
Frannie: Julianne Moore
Jessica: Tamara Tunie
Lily: Martha Byrne
Margo: Ellen Dolan
Meg: Jennifer Ashe
Nikki: Jordana Brewster
Paul: Scott Holroyd
Rosanna: Cady McClain
Sabrina: Julianne Moore
Sierra: Mary Beth Evans
Tom: Justin Deas

Logan2010

Mason, how do you like Spencer Grammer's version of Lucy rather than Peyton List. She was really bad! Soap Opera Digest named her Worst Recast of 2006 and the producers later let her go.

Mason
Member Avatar

Logan2010
Feb 16 2010, 02:30 PM
Mason, how do you like Spencer Grammer's version of Lucy rather than Peyton List. She was really bad! Soap Opera Digest named her Worst Recast of 2006 and the producers later let her go.
I'm not saying she was great, but she annoyed me far less than that overrated Peyton List.

darraholic
Member Avatar

Logan2010
Feb 16 2010, 01:57 PM
Any older ATWT fans who have a favorite actor/actress in either original or recast character?

Alison: Jessica Dunphy or Marnie Schulenburg
Betsy: Meg Ryan or Lindsay Frost
Bonnie: Napiera Danielle Groves or Chauntee Schuler
Brad: Nick Kokotakis, John Loprieno or Austin Peck
Caleb: Michael David Morrison or Graham Winton
Casey: Zach Roerig or Billy Magnussen
Connor: Allyson Rice-Taylor or Susan Batten
Craig: Scott Bryce, Hunt Block, Jeffrey Meek or Jon Lindstrom
Dusty: Brian Bloom or Grayson McCouch
Emily: Melanie Smith or Kelley Menighan Hensley
Frannie: Julianne Moore or Mary Ellen Stuart
Jennifer: Kim Onasch or Jennifer Ferrin
Jessica: Tamara Tunie or Joanna Rhinehart
Lily: Lucy Deakins, Martha Byrne, Heather Rattray or Noelle Beck
Lucy: Peyton List or Spencer Grammer
Margo: Margaret Colin, Hillary B. Smith, Ellen Dolan or Glynnis O'Connor
Meg: Jennifer Ashe or Marie Wilson
Nikki: Jordana Brewster or McKenzie Satterthwaite
Paul: Andrew Kavovit, Scott Holroyd or Roger Howarth
Rosanna: Yvonne Perry or Cady McClain
Sabrina: Julianne Moore or Claire Beckham
Samantha: Brooke Alexander or Sherri Alexander
Sierra: Finn Carter or Mary Beth Evans
Tom: Justin Deas, Gregg Marx or Scott Holmes
Alison: Jessica Dunphy
Bonnie: Napiera Danielle Groves
Casey: Zach Roerig
Craig: Hunt Block
Dusty: Brian Bloom
Jennifer: Jennifer Ferrin
Jessica: Tamara Tunie
Lily: Noelle Beck :run:
Lucy: Peyton List
Margo: Hillary B. Smith
Emily: Kelley Menighan Hensley
Meg: Marie Wilson
Paul: Scott Holroyd
Rosanna: Cady McClain
Sierra: Mary Beth Evans
Tom: Scott Holmes
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Logan2010

What is everyone's favorite couple from the past or present on ATWT?

Bob and Kim
Tom and Margo
Holden and Lily
Jack and Carly
Luke and Noah
Hal and Barbara
Duncan and Jessica
Caleb and Julie
Kirk and Samantha
Cal and Connor
Lily and Damian
Mike and Rosanna
Craig and Rosanna
Andy and Courtney
Craig and Sierra
Hal and Margo
Tom and Emily
Kirk and Ellie
Jake and Molly
Dusty and Jennifer
Katie and Simon
Katie and Brad
Ben and Jessica
Duncan and Shannon

darraholic
Member Avatar

Bob and Kim
Holden and Lily
Jack and Carly
Craig and Rosanna
Jake and Molly
Katie and Simon

RutherfordBHayes

No offense to Barbara Rucker, but, the original Sandy, Dagne Crane, was, and continues to be my favorite 'Sandy.' I have the unique honor to know this chaming and elegant woman, in real life, and I simply love her to pieces. I had a crush on her when I was 11...we met when I was 27, and we've been friends for the last 27 years (I'm 54, three weeks younger than ATWT).

sunset_leaf

Anyone remember Barbara Ryan giving Paul away to a woman when he was born, then having to fight for custody and get him back? I'm trying to find it online and can't find anything about it. :hmmph: :hail:

darraholic
Member Avatar

It's too bad she wanted him back. It would have saved her alot of grief lol.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

sunset_leaf
Feb 19 2011, 11:55 AM
Anyone remember Barbara Ryan giving Paul away to a woman when he was born, then having to fight for custody and get him back? I'm trying to find it online and can't find anything about it. :hmmph: :hail:
I think that was an early 1980s story that tied into the 1st appearance of James Stenbeck. Barbara first appeared as a character in the early 1970s when Jennifer & Bob married (along with Barbara's brother Rick). Rick (a doctor) didn't approve of Jennifer's remarriage to Bob and caused trouble. I believe Barbara was written as being in her late teens or so at the time and dated Tom who, I *think*, was also involved with Carol (who Tom would later be Tom's 1st wife). Barbara was played by several different actresses before being written off as leaving town to attend art/design school. When they brought her back to town in the late 1970s, she was a designer and played by Colleen Zenk who played the role ever since. James & Barbara's affair and the birth of Paul was said to have happened during the period in the mid 1970s when Barbara was out of Oakdale. The following is transcribed from the Julie Poll ATWT Family Scrapbook coffee table book from the 1980 section...

Quote:

...Tom Hughes cooled his relationship with Sheila Winston and grew closer to Barbara. But it soon became evident that Barbara had a secret life prior to returning to Oakdale, and it was coming back to haunt her. One day Barbara got a call from a man named Raymond Colfax. He told her "his" condition had worsened and she should come to Philadelphia immediately. Barbara went, and when she returned, she got a call from Raymond's wife, Claudia. The little boy was fine, but Raymond had lost his job and was drinking again. Barbara felt close enough to Tom to tell him she had an illegitimate son. His name was Paul, and he was three years old. She had given him up for adoption to her good friend Claudia. The boy's real father didn't know about him and didn't want to. Tom advised her to sue for custody because it didn't sound like a safe place for the child. He tried to convince Claudia that if she let Barbara take the boy, it might save her marriage. When Raymond saw Tom and Claudia together, he thought they were having an affair and decked Tom. Later, a distaught Barbara told Tom she'd seen bruises on Paul's face. Claudia had been married to someone else when she adopted Paul, and Raymond thought the child was hers. Tom suggested that if she told Raymond the truth, he might let Paul go. The plan worked, and Paul came to live with Barbara temporarily.

Later, Barbara explained about how she'd conceived Paul with an heir to the Swedish throne (James) and James came to town (thanks to Brad Holister), then discovered the truth about Paul (after both Barbara & Claudia kept the ruse about Paul's parentage, a suspicious James bribed Raymond into telling the truth). Meanwhile, Tom & Barbara were planning to marry (and adopt Paul as their own), but James wanted one last meeting. It when then that Barbara learned that both she and James had been manipulated and James had never known about Paul (or the abortion she was supposedly forced into have, which she didn't). As Barbara stood at the altar to marry Tom (but still emotionally reeling from the revelation of the truth and her reemerging feelings for James), James stopped the wedding, which was then canceled.

sunset_leaf

Matt
Feb 19 2011, 02:40 PM
sunset_leaf
Feb 19 2011, 11:55 AM
I think that was an early 1980s story that tied into the 1st appearance of James Stenbeck. Barbara first appeared as a character in the early 1970s when Jennifer & Bob married (along with Barbara's brother Rick). Rick (a doctor) didn't approve of Jennifer's remarriage to Bob and caused trouble. I believe Barbara was written as being in her late teens or so at the time and dated Tom who, I *think*, was also involved with Carol (who Tom would later be Tom's 1st wife). Barbara was played by several different actresses before being written off as leaving town to attend art/design school. When they brought her back to town in the late 1970s, she was a designer and played by Colleen Zenk who played the role ever since. James & Barbara's affair and the birth of Paul was said to have happened during the period in the mid 1970s when Barbara was out of Oakdale. The following is transcribed from the Julie Poll ATWT Family Scrapbook coffee table book from the 1980 section...

Quote:

...Tom Hughes cooled his relationship with Sheila Winston and grew closer to Barbara. But it soon became evident that Barbara had a secret life prior to returning to Oakdale, and it was coming back to haunt her. One day Barbara got a call from a man named Raymond Colfax. He told her "his" condition had worsened and she should come to Philadelphia immediately. Barbara went, and when she returned, she got a call from Raymond's wife, Claudia. The little boy was fine, but Raymond had lost his job and was drinking again. Barbara felt close enough to Tom to tell him she had an illegitimate son. His name was Paul, and he was three years old. She had given him up for adoption to her good friend Claudia. The boy's real father didn't know about him and didn't want to. Tom advised her to sue for custody because it didn't sound like a safe place for the child. He tried to convince Claudia that if she let Barbara take the boy, it might save her marriage. When Raymond saw Tom and Claudia together, he thought they were having an affair and decked Tom. Later, a distaught Barbara told Tom she'd seen bruises on Paul's face. Claudia had been married to someone else when she adopted Paul, and Raymond thought the child was hers. Tom suggested that if she told Raymond the truth, he might let Paul go. The plan worked, and Paul came to live with Barbara temporarily.

Later, Barbara explained about how she'd conceived Paul with an heir to the Swedish throne (James) and James came to town (thanks to Brad Holister), then discovered the truth about Paul (after both Barbara & Claudia kept the ruse about Paul's parentage, a suspicious James bribed Raymond into telling the truth). Meanwhile, Tom & Barbara were planning to marry (and adopt Paul as their own), but James wanted one last meeting. It when then that Barbara learned that both she and James had been manipulated and James had never known about Paul (or the abortion she was supposedly forced into have, which she didn't). As Barbara stood at the altar to marry Tom (but still emotionally reeling from the revelation of the truth and her reemerging feelings for James), James stopped the wedding, which was then canceled.
Thank you so much! :cheer:

There is so much I wish I'd watched first time round, but this is why I like the soap community, somene is bound to have it taped somewhere. Which, btw, if anyone does have anyof this s/l taped or knows of it online, I'd love to see it! :popcorn:

Leona

Quick question about ratings if anyone knows...

I came across an article saying that Steve & Betsy's 1984 wedding drew 20 million viewers. As popular as they were, I find that hard to believe. Wiki seems to be the source of this information, but upon following their citation (Schemering's Soap Opera Encyclopedia) there is nothing of the kind stated.

Anyone know if this is true???

RutherfordBHayes

The musical based on Julianne Moore's book 'Freckleface Strawberry' is now playing at the New World Stages Theater, 340 West 50th Street., NYC.

Way to go, Franny/Sabrina! We're all very proud of our multi-talented Emmy winner!
Maybe I can go and see it AFTER my recuperation from my upcoming surgery (it will only be my 11th in 10 years, my 8th in the past 3 years, but who is counting?)

Ikaika

@ RutherfordBHayes: what I don't understand is that Slueth is a mystery/crime drama channel and yet THE EDGE OF NIGHT is not included in their programming. EDGE was the first and only longest-running mystery soap.

RutherfordBHayes

Yes, I agree with you. Edge would be a perfect fit on a Channel like 'Sleuth.'

sungrey

Sleuth is owned by NBC Universal and is mostly found on satellite providers. Is most of their programming stuff originally shown on NBC? I believe the 1970s Mystery Movies are on there.

RutherfordBHayes

Thanks for the clarity on Sleuth, sungrey, and by the way, Happy Birthday. I wanted to let everyone know that Spencer Grammar (ex-Lucy Montgomery) and her new husband are expecting a bundle. No due date was announced.
Edited by RutherfordBHayes, Mar 11 2011, 09:51 AM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Soap Opera History & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply