Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOD/SOW: Philip proposes to Melanie!; Dec 29th issues; Summary of Articles
Topic Started: Dec 16 2009, 09:31 PM (3,982 Views)
cassie1013

PhoenixRising05
Dec 17 2009, 12:22 AM
cassie1013
Dec 17 2009, 12:05 AM
Kenny
Dec 16 2009, 11:53 PM
Sariah
Dec 16 2009, 11:47 PM
I'm pretty sure the mantra at Days is, "If we say it often enough, eventually the audience will start to believe it."
Well it's not working.

I mean, I get what the writers are trying to do with this. They're trying to get all their ducks in a row for this big "umbrella" Carly story. Breaking up Bo and Hope... getting Carly's secret daughter hitched to the Kiriakis heir and the "son" of Vivian... etc. This story will involve half the town just like the baby switch. It's their next big tale. However, they should've started building this Phillip/Melanie romance months ago if they were planning to marry them in January. It's just too rushed.
Well, I think they realized that and regretted it, so unfortunately, Philip and Melanie are being thrown under the bus (in a sense) for the greater story of all the other parties involved...mainly, Vivian vs. Carly, Vivian vs. Kate, I'm sure Carly and Kate will start hating each other somewhere in there, too...
While I think it still works out, I do think it did not go the way it should have.

They took a bit too long to implode Melanie and Nathan. If they had done that around early November, it may have been better.

I do think it works based on both characters and who they are and such but, yes, it could've been done better. I don't expect this wedding until early February and I just feel like it won't even happen. I think the wedding is only happening as a backdrop to other things but we'll see.
Agreed. The timing is terrible. In fact, they probably could have skipped the majority of the Melanie/Nathan story. This would be acceptable if Melanie and Philip had been or were actually, currently, dating. But they aren't!

And I forgot to mention before, in addition to the Vivian vs. Carly, Kate hating Melanie, Vivian vs Kate there's also the drama with Carly having married Victor, and now Melanie almost marrying his son, Victor not liking Melanie....blah blah blah.

But again, it makes no sense to push Melanie's character into marriage. DAYS just doesn't know how to write for the late teens/early 20's set. At all. I mean, they had Belle/Philip/Shawn/Mimi desperate for kids...at 21?! Like, really? I just don't find it believable at all that Melanie is ready for friggen' marriage!

Unless...they're doing this to piss everyone off, which is acceptable, LoL (and don't really get married).

Or maybe it's a dream sequence!?

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Tripp
Dec 17 2009, 12:27 AM
Watching Melanie and Philip make out is like watching 15 year old Melissa Gilbert make out with 25+ Dean Butler. Except in this case, the show isn't OBLIGATED to go through with it because there is no real life marriage to look back on. And before anyone tries to remind me, I'm aware technically Melanie is not underage, but for this Philip fan who wanted to watch JKJ dive into meatier, darker and certainly more MATURE roles, having him get married to a teenager pretty much kisses that dream goodbye.
Hey, Tripp! Good to see ya again.
I'm with you. Granted, I haven't watched the episodes for the past two days, but I had been harboring storylines for Philip that just haven't come true. I still wonder what JKJ thinks of all this.I know that's not supposed to mean anything, but....
Trying to wrap my lil ole brain around Melanie marrying ANYONE just hurts. This is enough to push me into be a Phloe fan! :D At least Chloe was the right age. Philip might be immature, but it just doesn't make sense that he IS, based on the character's past experiences.
I'm still mad they didn't connect with the JKJ-MM chemistry that it seemed a lot of people on the boards I frequented saw. But again, I never get my way where Days is concerned or Philip and Belle would have stayed together a LONG time ago! :D And ShawnD would have forgiven Mimi a long time ago. :P

Snowing Fan
Member Avatar

Another reason why Higley doesn't know romance,there has been ZERO build up.Why should I want this couple together?
Edited by Snowing Fan, Dec 17 2009, 09:59 AM.

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

Loathesome.

But thanks for posting, Ellie! Not your fault the material is hideously sucktacular--you're just the messenger. :tounge:

michelle
Member Avatar

I like them! The proposal is way rushed, but I get them as a couple!

She is young, but he's not that old! And...she is not preachy and over the top like holier than thou Stephanie. I just don't see any other choices on the show for poor Phil. So for now, I'll take this one!

jane1978

Kenny
Sariah
I'm pretty sure the mantra at Days is, "If we say it often enough, eventually the audience will start to believe it."
Well it's not working.

I mean, I get what the writers are trying to do with this. They're trying to get all their ducks in a row for this big "umbrella" Carly story. Breaking up Bo and Hope... getting Carly's secret daughter hitched to the Kiriakis heir and the "son" of Vivian... etc. This story will involve half the town just like the baby switch. It's their next big tale. However, they should've started building this Phillip/Melanie romance months ago if they were planning to marry them in January. It's just too rushed.
I agree the marriage is rushed, but Phillip and Mel are cyrcling around each other for more than a year now. Itīs not like they just met. Phillip first "dreamed" about her at the beginning of last November and from that moment on their relationship always balanced on the thin line between hate and love. Only very few soap couples actually dates, dating is boring. Mel helped Phillip against Owen, they had their close encounters during the AFP storyline, she was there for him when Kate decided to marry Stefano and of course there is the sex-tape episode. No matter who they just dated or claimed they are in love with they always somewhat ended together. Does it mean Mel is ready to get marry? Of course not. But Mel is hopelessly in love with that guy for more than a year and he certainly knows how to sweep girl out of her feet. Itīs not hard to believe he charmes her enough to say yes.

clenche100

ok this is some kinda joke right?? coz this totally makes no sense at all..
the writers really have gone crazy or they must be on some kind of drug,they just aren't thinking straight.. Do they really expect us
to believe that phillip and mel are now madly in love that they just wanna get hitched and grow old together??
THIS IS INSANE i say.

Ally
Member Avatar
The Royal Princess

Kenny
Sariah
Well it's not working.

Exactly, Kenny - couldn't agree more.

How much do you want to bet that they'll each 'visualize' somebody else at the altar?

Halloween Family
Member Avatar

Poor Melanie, Phillip is going to drag her down. I like Phelanie and was hoping Phillip could have some fun for ONCE. It was nice seeing them just interact the other day with the cookie decorating.

It's pretty obvious Phelanie aren't the couple and they want Stephanie with Phillip and Mel with Nate but I'm interested in seeing how it will play out.

Sariah
Member Avatar

Halloween Family
Dec 17 2009, 12:12 PM
It's pretty obvious Phelanie aren't the couple and they want Stephanie with Phillip and Mel with Nate but I'm interested in seeing how it will play out.
That makes one of us. I'm pretty tired of Philip being thrown into random pairings only to be pulled out of them shortly after TPTB get their heads out and realize it's not working.

I don't want to see him with Stephanie (whom I've always actively disliked) or Melanie (way, way, way too young for him). If I can't have him with Chloe, I'd rather they bring Belle back for him (and I'm not a Phelle fan) or introduce a new character that's his own age. This dating/marrying little girls thing has gotten out of hand.

SpriteEyes
Member Avatar

I want Phil and Mel to get married, eventually.

But this is too soon. I don't understand the rush.

Because of Carly? Does she have to be involved in everything?

This makes as much sense as Shawn marrying a woman he knows can't have kids and then is obsessed with having them RIGHT. NOW.
Edited by SpriteEyes, Dec 19 2009, 09:00 AM.

dylan76
Member Avatar

I understand why people think that this setup makes no sense but in reality, stupid 20-somethings do stuff like this all the time. They get married on a whim when they are nowhere near prepared. It's not like this is the most outlandish thing DAYS has ever done.

slayer2
Member Avatar

Quote:

Do they really think we're buying this shit?

Straight up I'm buying and selling it. I have been watching the development of Phelanie for the better part of a year, this is hardly out of left field, As I understand it there are a lot of people WTF-ing and some of these folks were fast-forwarding the Philip/Melanie scenes over the course of the year anyways. Some were invested in Phinie {I tried but couldn't get down} Some Phelle {was checking that out on youtube and they were damn hot actually} but if you watch it back from when Melanie first arrived in town there is definitely a through line from there to here. Even to the point of Philip now echoing sentiments Melanie made/said to him back in february, or even right back to Philip watching Nick and Melanie enviously through the window while there were baking to the current cookie/baking scene with him and her a few days ago bringing things full circle.

I'll be straight up and say that if this were real life I would no doubt want Melanie with Nathan as Nathan is a Jacob to me and Philip an Edward. Jacob/Nathan is reliable, sweet, loving and prepared to stay with her through thick and thin and likely brings out the "best" in her and if you contrast that with Edward/Philip he is dark, brooding, unreliable and unpredictable and you can never really be sure what is going on up there and he of course can bring out the "worst" in Melanie. Nathan is my pick hands down in the real world but that's not what I want to see on my tv, I want to see the angst and the passion and the unpredictability and Philip brings that in spades.

There's not one of us who can argue that Philip doesn't act impulsively, and this move is impulsive, most of the Phelanie shippers would prefer things to slow waaaay down as it is very fast seeing as how he was just proposing to Stephanie in May of this year. But for the same reason that it is too rash, too ill-advised too like the lightening which doth cease to be 'ere one can say it lightens, it is also potential for a great storyline, we've got a young woman who is crazy in love with this man who appears to have seen the light with her but there is no real confirmation as yet if he is truly,madly,deeply in love with her or just infatuated with her and grateful that she continues to be his strongest supporter. The heart of the story {as we know it so far} reads thus:

Melanie has been the one constant in his life over the past year who whether helping to rescue Stephanie, trying to put him and Stephanie back together, giving him a shoulder to lean on about his family, fiance or crazy business, has been a constant reinforcement and pillar in his life. Whether or not he is truly in love with her at this juncture is doubtful if not unclear but it is clear to me that he feels she is the only person he can trust right now and he doesn't want to lose that and with Nathan nipping at her heels locking her down makes sense and an engagement is the perfect way to do that. I don't think anyone needs to worry that it's a deep undying love just yet but I do think he needs her and he is scared of losing that, particularly now with all that has gone on with Kate and Vivian, hence the proposal. This is one of those stories that is going to unfold slowly like an onion {and surely make me cry lol} and if you add on the Vivian, Carly aspect it just weaves everyone together and kicks things into high gear. I'm really excited about where this is going for sure! :rockon: :rockon:

PHELLE FOREVER

slayer2
Dec 19 2009, 04:31 PM
Quote:

Do they really think we're buying this shit?

Straight up I'm buying and selling it. I have been watching the development of Phelanie for the better part of a year, this is hardly out of left field, As I understand it there are a lot of people WTF-ing and some of these folks were fast-forwarding the Philip/Melanie scenes over the course of the year anyways. Some were invested in Phinie {I tried but couldn't get down} Some Phelle {was checking that out on youtube and they were damn hot actually} but if you watch it back from when Melanie first arrived in town there is definitely a through line from there to here. Even to the point of Philip now echoing sentiments Melanie made/said to him back in february, or even right back to Philip watching Nick and Melanie enviously through the window while there were baking to the current cookie/baking scene with him and her a few days ago bringing things full circle.

I'll be straight up and say that if this were real life I would no doubt want Melanie with Nathan as Nathan is a Jacob to me and Philip an Edward. Jacob/Nathan is reliable, sweet, loving and prepared to stay with her through thick and thin and likely brings out the "best" in her and if you contrast that with Edward/Philip he is dark, brooding, unreliable and unpredictable and you can never really be sure what is going on up there and he of course can bring out the "worst" in Melanie. Nathan is my pick hands down in the real world but that's not what I want to see on my tv, I want to see the angst and the passion and the unpredictability and Philip brings that in spades.

There's not one of us who can argue that Philip doesn't act impulsively, and this move is impulsive, most of the Phelanie shippers would prefer things to slow waaaay down as it is very fast seeing as how he was just proposing to Stephanie in May of this year. But for the same reason that it is too rash, too ill-advised too like the lightening which doth cease to be 'ere one can say it lightens, it is also potential for a great storyline, we've got a young woman who is crazy in love with this man who appears to have seen the light with her but there is no real confirmation as yet if he is truly,madly,deeply in love with her or just infatuated with her and grateful that she continues to be his strongest supporter. The heart of the story {as we know it so far} reads thus:

Melanie has been the one constant in his life over the past year who whether helping to rescue Stephanie, trying to put him and Stephanie back together, giving him a shoulder to lean on about his family, fiance or crazy business, has been a constant reinforcement and pillar in his life. Whether or not he is truly in love with her at this juncture is doubtful if not unclear but it is clear to me that he feels she is the only person he can trust right now and he doesn't want to lose that and with Nathan nipping at her heels locking her down makes sense and an engagement is the perfect way to do that. I don't think anyone needs to worry that it's a deep undying love just yet but I do think he needs her and he is scared of losing that, particularly now with all that has gone on with Kate and Vivian, hence the proposal. This is one of those stories that is going to unfold slowly like an onion {and surely make me cry lol} and if you add on the Vivian, Carly aspect it just weaves everyone together and kicks things into high gear. I'm really excited about where this is going for sure! :rockon: :rockon:
Love your PHELANIE avatar!
And I co-sign your post :cheer:
Edited by PHELLE FOREVER, Dec 20 2009, 12:41 AM.

PHELLE FOREVER

Halloween Family
Poor Melanie, Phillip is going to drag her down. I like Phelanie and was hoping Phillip could have some fun for ONCE. It was nice seeing them just interact the other day with the cookie decorating.

I'll have to respectfully disagree with you that the writers don't want Phelanie and that Philip/Stephanie and Nathan/Melanie are the rooting couples.
While I can understand what you're saying about Nathan/Melanie maybe in the end being the rooting couple. I don't think for a second Philip and Stephanie are.They haven't even given each other a second glance in what two months?lol.
The thing that struck me the most in the Christmas promo was that it was all about PHELANIE. It wasn't some voice over guy saying something like, "she's marrying one man(Philip) but in love with another(Nathan). It was all about Philip/Melanie. To me if Melanie annd Nathan were the rooting couple the focus would have been on them in the promo, ya know? Maybe showing Nathan's reaction to Melanie's engagement ring. Or something in the promo tht gave the impression that "Hey Melanie/Nathan are the 'rooting couple'. Or if we are to believe that Philip/Stephanie are the 'rooting couple', we didn't the promo focus on them, show Stephanie's reaction, show Stephanie crying about their engagement.....something?
And in both the SOD and the SOW articles, Stephanie wasn't even mentioned. It wasn't Molly giving an interview saying, "Well Philip loves Stephanie,but he can't have her, so he's settling for Melanie. Molly has said that in interviews before.
Molly also said , that "Melanie misses Nathan, but is in love with Philip.
I know that Corday said that Philip/Stephanie and Melanie/Nathan are the rooting couples. So I do understand your reasoning, but things change, and writers sometimes change their minds and sometimes go with a different couple then they planned on. And I think that is what happened with Phelanie. Because as far as Philip/Stephanie and Melanie /Nathan being the "rooting couples", that definately isn't playing out on screen. JMO, of course :)

Edited by PHELLE FOREVER, Dec 20 2009, 01:10 AM.

sungrey

PhoenixRising05
Dec 16 2009, 11:16 PM
BalscoFan5
Dec 16 2009, 10:08 PM
Maybe they should try a date first.

More stupid shit from Higley.
Higley has like no power anymore so you should probably blame Whitesell and Tomlin LOL. I guess you can blame her too since her name is still under HW though :laugh: .

Anyway, this sounds good. Thanks for posting.
For some of the good that those two have done, there's THIS shit. Where's Corday when you need him? (Hopefully at a luncheon...)

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

sungrey
Dec 20 2009, 03:24 AM
PhoenixRising05
Dec 16 2009, 11:16 PM
BalscoFan5
Dec 16 2009, 10:08 PM
Maybe they should try a date first.

More stupid shit from Higley.
Higley has like no power anymore so you should probably blame Whitesell and Tomlin LOL. I guess you can blame her too since her name is still under HW though :laugh: .

Anyway, this sounds good. Thanks for posting.
For some of the good that those two have done, there's THIS shit. Where's Corday when you need him? (Hopefully at a luncheon...)
Well, not everyone views it as shit but point taken :laugh: .

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

dylan76
Dec 19 2009, 11:19 AM
I understand why people think that this setup makes no sense but in reality, stupid 20-somethings do stuff like this all the time. They get married on a whim when they are nowhere near prepared. It's not like this is the most outlandish thing DAYS has ever done.
Philip, however, shouldn't act like a stupid 20-something. But, I guess if 50+ year old executives can be married simply on libido.........*sigh*. I just had higher hopes for Philip.

Halloween Family
Member Avatar

PHELLE FOREVER
Dec 20 2009, 01:06 AM
Halloween Family

I'll have to respectfully disagree with you that the writers don't want Phelanie and that Philip/Stephanie and Nathan/Melanie are the rooting couples.
While I can understand what you're saying about Nathan/Melanie maybe in the end being the rooting couple. I don't think for a second Philip and Stephanie are.They haven't even given each other a second glance in what two months?lol.
The thing that struck me the most in the Christmas promo was that it was all about PHELANIE. It wasn't some voice over guy saying something like, "she's marrying one man(Philip) but in love with another(Nathan). It was all about Philip/Melanie. To me if Melanie annd Nathan were the rooting couple the focus would have been on them in the promo, ya know? Maybe showing Nathan's reaction to Melanie's engagement ring. Or something in the promo tht gave the impression that "Hey Melanie/Nathan are the 'rooting couple'. Or if we are to believe that Philip/Stephanie are the 'rooting couple', we didn't the promo focus on them, show Stephanie's reaction, show Stephanie crying about their engagement.....something?
And in both the SOD and the SOW articles, Stephanie wasn't even mentioned. It wasn't Molly giving an interview saying, "Well Philip loves Stephanie,but he can't have her, so he's settling for Melanie. Molly has said that in interviews before.
Molly also said , that "Melanie misses Nathan, but is in love with Philip.
I know that Corday said that Philip/Stephanie and Melanie/Nathan are the rooting couples. So I do understand your reasoning, but things change, and writers sometimes change their minds and sometimes go with a different couple then they planned on. And I think that is what happened with Phelanie. Because as far as Philip/Stephanie and Melanie /Nathan being the "rooting couples", that definately isn't playing out on screen. JMO, of course :)

Can't really disagree with anything you've said. At one point I thought they changed their minds out of the Sillip and M&N being endgame but now that they have Phelony getting married it seems too soon...like a setup for failure. I really like Phelony and even Sathan so I'm hoping they will break this quad up somewhat to give them better stories rather than having repetetive pining away. melanie and Stephanie have a great frenemies thing going on and they don't need to be fighting over the same man to have friction. They both work at the hospital, Steph is admin and Mel is a worker bee, then throw in Nathan as a doctor and Phillip as the board of directors and you have fertile material. Especially if they throw in Vivian and Carly into the mix.
Edited by Halloween Family, Dec 20 2009, 01:40 PM.

Bradyclan

Wow, this is just pure madness. This pairing is a joke and gross. They are ruining Philip's character. This is just ridiculous. Also, why are they so intent of making Melanie the "one". She's all over the place , they even wanted to try something with Brady which failed miserably.Hopefully,they will realize that this pairing is ridiculous.

The only pairing that I liked for Mel was with Nick.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply