Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Stephen Nichols Cast as Y&R's Tucker!; William Russ OUT!
Topic Started: Dec 16 2009, 10:39 PM (4,201 Views)
cassie1013

I just hope he doesn't come off as a joke on this show. lol. It's impossible to take him seriously on DAYS, well, with it being DAYS and that damn eye patch LoL.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

Southofsoap
Dec 17 2009, 09:50 PM
Hogan Sheffer must be really pleased - one could tell SN/Steve was one of his favourites at DAYS. I'd expect him frontburner a lot at Y&R until EB gets jealous.
Or until Hogan Sheffer get fired.

esp13
Member Avatar

cassie1013
Dec 17 2009, 10:03 PM
I just hope he doesn't come off as a joke on this show. lol. It's impossible to take him seriously on DAYS, well, with it being DAYS and that damn eye patch LoL.
He wasn't a "joke" on GH as Stefan Cassadine. And I get that you didn't like the patch, but for a lot of his fans, that patch was an important part of the character. I won't dispute that the writing for Steve (and for Steve and Kayla) left a lot to be desired in their second run. But the problem was never the patch.

Shylock

If Hogan was such a huge fan of Steve, then why the hell did they do that godawful stretch with him in that psych hospital? That was such garbage.

Ives
Member Avatar

I am so happy for Stephen, and I am very glad that he will be back on our screens again.

Ives
Member Avatar

cassie1013
I would have never characterized Steve as a "joke." In many ways, I think he was one of the stronger, if not the strongest, male dramatic characters on Days. Nichols consistently brought a charisma and grounding to his character. He certainly also had a wonderful comedic side but I never felt like that detracted from the portrayal of his character.

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

Ives
Dec 18 2009, 12:34 AM
cassie1013
I would have never characterized Steve as a "joke." In many ways, I think he was one of the stronger, if not the strongest, male dramatic characters on Days. Nichols consistently brought a charisma and grounding to his character. He certainly also had a wonderful comedic side but I never felt like that detracted from the portrayal of his character.
Hogan destroyed the character of Steve Johnson.

SN is an amazing actor, but in the end, I don't think even his talents could to overcome the carnage that Hogan Sheffer inflicted on Steve.

From his amnesia story that seemed to have no beginning or real believable ending (except for the one MBE and SN had to put in themselves!)... to the goofy 12-year-old DiMera torturing him and programming him to be an assassin via tarot card back story... to his random heroic turns both in helping Shawn and Belle in their escape to Canada and tracking down Elvis in Mexico... to his bizarro abusive side coming out where he actually physically hurt Kayla... to his time in the mental health facility that was insensitively played for laughs... ugh. It was just dreadful. Then there were the random Billie and Ava diversions with no real Steve and Kayla falling back in love with each other stories?

In my opinion, it was practically impossible for anyone but die-hard Steve and Kayla fans who cared so much about Steve from his previous run to really get behind the character.

That said, I will try to tune in and give Y&R another shot to try to draw me in on a regular basis once SN starts up again, but with the current writing regime (including the aforementioned HS) they have there I'm not holding my breath.

As I may have said earlier in the thread, I'd much rather SN would have wound up on GH in the upcoming Cassedine-vs.-Spencer story.

dc cubs
Member Avatar

If SN is who they wanted in the role in the first place, I wonder if Sheffer being on the writing team at Y&R is what made him turn it down the first time.

VetsRock
Member Avatar

into_the_skyline
Dec 17 2009, 03:48 PM
Nah, they learned their lesson. When Victor and Nikki left the ratings immediately fell in the toilet. The show is not the same without those two. I don't think there's any taking over for Victor. I just hope when V&N return they get true frontburner stories instead of playing second fiddle to other people as they did all year.
ICAM
Can't wait for them to return

cassie1013

esp13
Dec 17 2009, 11:19 PM
cassie1013
He wasn't a "joke" on GH as Stefan Cassadine. And I get that you didn't like the patch, but for a lot of his fans, that patch was an important part of the character. I won't dispute that the writing for Steve (and for Steve and Kayla) left a lot to be desired in their second run. But the problem was never the patch.
Actually, I like Steve. But the patch was just kind of a cartoon-ish, DAYS thing, LoL. What I didn't like was Steve and Kayla!

esp13
Member Avatar

cassie1013
Dec 18 2009, 04:43 AM
esp13
Dec 17 2009, 11:19 PM
cassie1013
Actually, I like Steve. But the patch was just kind of a cartoon-ish, DAYS thing, LoL. What I didn't like was Steve and Kayla!
Did you watch Steve's original run? Because there was nothing cartoonish about the patch. It was a huge part of who the character was and where he came from and what he had to overcome. It wasn't just some kind of attention getter or hokey costuming. It was an essential part of the character because of what it represented for him.

Ives
Member Avatar

IMissAremid
Dec 18 2009, 12:56 AM
Ives
Dec 18 2009, 12:34 AM
cassie1013
Hogan destroyed the character of Steve Johnson.

SN is an amazing actor, but in the end, I don't think even his talents could to overcome the carnage that Hogan Sheffer inflicted on Steve.

From his amnesia story that seemed to have no beginning or real believable ending (except for the one MBE and SN had to put in themselves!)... to the goofy 12-year-old DiMera torturing him and programming him to be an assassin via tarot card back story... to his random heroic turns both in helping Shawn and Belle in their escape to Canada and tracking down Elvis in Mexico... to his bizarro abusive side coming out where he actually physically hurt Kayla... to his time in the mental health facility that was insensitively played for laughs... ugh. It was just dreadful. Then there were the random Billie and Ava diversions with no real Steve and Kayla falling back in love with each other stories?

In my opinion, it was practically impossible for anyone but die-hard Steve and Kayla fans who cared so much about Steve from his previous run to really get behind the character.

That said, I will try to tune in and give Y&R another shot to try to draw me in on a regular basis once SN starts up again, but with the current writing regime (including the aforementioned HS) they have there I'm not holding my breath.

As I may have said earlier in the thread, I'd much rather SN would have wound up on GH in the upcoming Cassedine-vs.-Spencer story.

But really is there *ANY* character on Days that you could not make a similar type of laundry list for? Someone could draw up a list of dubious character situations and actions for just about any character over the last few years - Sami, Hope, EJ, Melanie, Stephanie, Nicole, Lucas, Kate, Dan, Stefano, Philip, etc. Of course, it is up to an individual opinion as to whether their interest and support of a character could rise above the items on the list. I never had the impression that Steve's character was destroyed in the eyes of most. I am a Steve and Kayla fan, and I know that there are differences of opinions about S&K as a couple, but I have generally seen that most fans liked Steve and supported his character.

Southofsoap
Member Avatar

Shylock
Dec 17 2009, 11:33 PM
If Hogan was such a huge fan of Steve, then why the hell did they do that godawful stretch with him in that psych hospital? That was such garbage.
That just proves Hogan is a hack, not whether he liked Stephen or not. Hogan probably thought he taught Ken Kesey a thing or two with that SL lol.

If Hogan didnt like Steve, he would not have given him any air time. Thats how Hogan rolls...

ElvisDiMera
Member Avatar

that is awesome! Stephen Nichols is great and deserves to be working in daytime.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply