Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
B&B: Brad Bell Interview/ 2010 Preview
Topic Started: Dec 17 2009, 06:23 PM (1,300 Views)
Miss Rhi
Member Avatar
"If Sami can't find happiness with a Martian, then she can't find happiness with anyone."

Brad Bell of 'The Bold and the Beautiful' Previews 2010
Executive producer of CBS daytime drama dishes on what's to come

By Deanna Barnert
Special to MSN TV

It's been a banner year on "The Bold and the Beautiful," but with 2009 coming to a close, show runner Brad Bell is already looking to what's to come in 2010. Fans can definitely expect more campy fun, but don't hold your breath for a happy new year. Whether you're talking the Forresters versus the Logans, the Forresters versus Bill Spencer or Forrester Creations versus Jackie M, the battles are just beginning, and a new crop of kids is taking sides. "The Bold and the Beautiful" airs weekdays on CBS.

MSN TV: What was your favorite storyline of 2009?

Brad Bell: I loved how Jackie M came together. I missed Darlene Conley and Spectra. I knew we couldn't duplicate it, but I thought we could have that contrast from Forrester again, basing it on Lesley-Anne Down and Jack Wagner, then bringing in Ashley Jones, Susan Flannery and Alley Mills. They've come together the way Sally, Darla and Saul did all those years ago. And with the cougar and her prey, we have humor and camp again. That was a goal of ours, and it succeeded wonderfully. This was a great year for fashion, for fun and for Jackie M.

Can Jackie and Owen expect another year on top?
Everyone says, "Can't we ever have a happy couple?" And we do with this unlikely duo, but they are going to be challenged in 2010 as never before. As will Jackie M, the fashion house. Trouble is brewing.

Nick and Bridget are also on an upswing, but should they worry about Agnes, their surrogate, being emotionally damaged?
She's a bit of a wild card. Bridget embraced Sandy -- this girl who loved the outdoors, did yoga and ate health food. But none of that was true. Agnes is very different. She was drug- raped five years ago and that had a profound affect on her. They haven't found the man who did it, and she's become reclusive. She was getting no jobs as a surrogate telling the truth. So, like many people, she padded her resume a bit. Does that make her a terrible person? That's for the audience to decide.

Is Bridget once again being set up to be the last to know?
Bridget spent much of her life in the dark about things, and here it goes again. Nick is in a very difficult position, where he's been brought into the confidence of a woman who's been victimized. Brooke, who is also a victim of rape, says it's important to keep things private when asked to. Sandy makes a plea to Nick: "This is a very intimate thing we're involved in. Bridget is on such a high. I don't want to risk changing her opinion of me." So, Nick is caught up in the secret.

Eric and Stephanie are back on good terms, while Justin is making a play for Donna. Can we expect to see a shakeup for this foursome?
Going into 2010, there are going to be major things that happen with Eric and Donna, and also with Ridge and Brooke. They've found incredible happiness, but so much is happening now. With Katie in charge of Forrester, the Logans have taken over the company that Stephanie and Eric founded and Ridge and Eric made through their designs. The Forrester men are not happy. So, conflict will ensue, and you can bet we're going to hear from Stephanie!

Do the Forresters have any hope of getting their company back?
Bill used questionable tactics to get it, so the Forresters are ready to do anything to get it back.

And they do! They try something outrageous.

At Katie's bachelorette sleepover, the Logan girls vowed to maintain their renewed closeness. Can that closeness last?
Loyalties are tested. The Forrester men, as their husbands, believe these women should be loyal to them above anyone else, but the Logan girls have such a tight bond. As in many families, you wonder which will emerge the supreme loyalty: to your blood and sisterhood or to your husband?

Bill confessed to Katie about kissing Steffy, but should we really trust this guy?
His heart is with Katie, and he wants to make this work. But temptation is lurking. He's got this gorgeous young girl practically throwing herself at him, but he thinks he can handle anything. Maybe it's a mistake that he underestimates this girl. He gets a kick out of her, but doesn't see her as a threat at all. He has good intentions. Hopefully he can maintain them.

Does this mean young Steffy is turning into trouble?
Steffy is evolving into someone who plays hardball and doesn't do things by the book. She knows she's attractive and knows how to use her sexuality. She's no delicate flower. She's emerging more a young Stephanie Forrester: someone who has a vision for what the family and the company should be and is not afraid to go get it. She's also someone who, like Stephanie, despises the Logans, so we'll find new rivals in Hope and Steffy. Jacqueline MacInnes Wood, who plays Steffy, is so beautiful and also a tomboy. It's a wonderfully unique combination that brings a unique character. She's not one who cries well, but she has so many other assets that are fun to see up there. She's a powerhouse.

What makes you decide it's time to give Hope a case of "SORAS" (Soap Opera Rapid Aging Syndrome)?
Steffy was a bit of an island. She was our twentysomething and we needed to round that out, so we brought in Kim Matula as Hope and Zack Conroy as Oliver -- two great, interesting actors who are going to bring a whole new generation to the fore.

What can we expect from the new Hope, who makes her debut January 11?
Brooke slept with her daughter's husband, Deacon Sharpe, and became pregnant. Now, Hope is a walking, talking reminder of Brooke's greatest transgression, but she's a good kid. She's independent and embodies a lot of her father, Deacon. She can take care of herself, and she's confident. But she's the stain of the Forrester family. It's something she wants to forget, yet her adversaries are going to remind her she is not a Forrester. It's going to come to a head.

Who is this Oliver character, showing up January 20?

Oliver is a leading man. He's someone who's in the music industry, with lots of ambition. But he's also a good guy who's going to be looking after his sister, Agie. Oliver and Agnes are very close and look out for each other. He's going to meet all these Forresters and Logans and hook up with Hope, but Steffy's going to be there to cause trouble.

Will Taylor's adventure in internet dating pay off with a romance?
She and Whip are going to go on a few dates, so internet dating works. (Laughs) Taylor needed a man, and I thought it would be a fun way to bring them together. Nobody likes to confess to internet dating, but it's something a lot of people do. And it can have wonderful consequences. Taylor and Whip, two single people who go home alone at night, are going to find a wonderful friendship, and two great actors, Hunter Tylo and Rick Hearst, are off and running!

What of the fact that Whip is one of Brooke's exes?
You know what, there are only 20 people in Los Angeles, and Brooke has been with all of them! (Laughs)

With CBS sister shows "Guiding Light" and "As the World Turns" canceled and "All My Children" making a move to Los Angeles, how much pressure do you feel as a show runner?
It's all about streamlining. If we can make these shows more cost effectiv, we can sell them less expensively, and we can survive. We want compelling drama, but we have to limit our spending. There's a future for the daily drama. And if anyone can do it, we can do it with "The Young and the Restless" and "The Bold and the Beautiful."

You're known for snapping up fan favorites from other shows: Do you have your eye on anyone from "As the World Turns"?

Currently, my cast is so full. But there are people I have an eye on that I've admired over the years from both "Guiding Light" and "As the World Turns." There's one person, a wonderful actress, who may be popping her head in over here. Something's in the works.

Source: MSN TV
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Eric83
Member Avatar
"Relax nobody's having sex.... at least not yet"

I wonder who may pop up over at B&B.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
Learn More · Register Now
« Previous Topic · GH: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply