Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
TV Guide interview with Stephen Nichols; Discusses Y&R role, Days firing...
Topic Started: Dec 18 2009, 12:12 PM (1,669 Views)
Ellie

http://www.tvguidemagazine.com/soaps/exclusive-stephen-nichols-talks-about-joining-yr-3566.html

Exclusive: Stephen Nichols Talks About Joining Y&R
by Michael Logan December 18, 2009 06:48 AM EST

As previously reported here, actor William Russ has been bounced from the role of mega-bucks mogul Tucker McCall on The Young and the Restless and replaced by former Days of Our Lives star Stephen Nichols. We caught up with Nichols for an exclusive chat at the end of his first tape day (December 17). He hits the air January 27.

So youíre just sitting around the house one day and all of a sudden the phone rings and your life changes?
Thatís exactly what happened, and itís happened to me a lot in my career. I tend to be a very lucky person. My wife reminds me of that all the time, and this is yet another stroke of good luck, especially because the call came from Y&R. Every actor who works on soaps flips channels in his dressing room and every time I landed on Y&R Iíd find the acting to be fantastic. I wasnít laughing at anything. Nothing seemed hokey and stupid. The production values were great. The writing was better than most. And now, on my first day here, I picked up my scripts and could not believe it. There wasnít one sentence or phrase that was hinky, nothing I felt had to be fixed, and thatís really refreshing. Thereís total organization at Y&R. The characters are solid, and the stories are character-driven from what I can tell. And all the actors are exemplary. There isnít a weak link in the whole bunch and Iíve never done a show where thatís been the case.

How much warning did you have about this?
Just about a week. Originally I was supposed to start taping January 4, but they suddenly called and said, ďCan you start December 17?Ē I said, ďUhÖno. The fourth was a good day because it gave me time to get my body back to where I wanted it, to get really cut again.Ē With all my leisure time, I didnít work out as much and Iíd gained an extra five pounds. But, even with a weekís notice, I got rid of it.

Did they just hand you the role in an S.O.S phone call? Or did you need to come in and do the meet ní greet?
It was all done in couple of phone calls. I had met with these guys previouslyómaybe four or five months agoóbut that was pretty much just a general meeting, not about a specific role.

Tell us about Tuckeróthe one that youíll be playing. Will we see a big difference between you and Russ?
Iím not going to watch the other guy and see what he did, and nobody at Y&R asked me to do that, but I will tell you this: William Russ is a prince. When I went to my dressing room for the first time I found a note heíd left for me on top of the television, telling me to have a great time in the role and hoping that everything goes well for me.

Thatís unheard of!
Heís a real mensch, so I want to give a shout-out to him

Do you know him?
Weíve never met. I only know his work and know heís a very good actor. Replacing someone is a really strange thing. I donít think Iíve ever done that before. But anyone who has been in the business any length of time knows this is a reality and that you just have to roll with it.

So no guilt when something like this happens? After all, your good fortune is his bad fortune.
No, not at all. I just chalk it up to it being my turn. This is my job now. Thereís no guilt about it at allóand if there had been any guilt, getting that little note from William would have taken it all away. It just made everything very sweet and as it should be.

Letís get back to Tucker.
I had some great scenes today with Jess Walton [Jill] and Jeanne Cooper [Kay] and Daniel Goddard [Cane]. Tucker is coming in to take away everybodyís toys. I really like this guy. He did not come from money but rather heís a self-made success, a regular guy who can tend bar and shoot pool and talk shit with anybody. Heís very unassuming in many ways.

And the show will continue to pursue Tuckerís romance with Jill? Do you two have chemistry?
Oh, yeah. I just worked a little with Jess today and it was very easy and open. She has sexual energy and so do I. All we have to do is play it up. Itís going to work out fine.

Your fans are doing handstands over this.
[Laughs] Good! Because theyíve all been screaming at me. ďWe donít have any contact with you anymore! Why donít you blog like Mary Beth Evans?Ē Hey, I donít have time to blog!

You and Mary Beth were dropped from Days at the end of last year, right along with Deidre Hall and Drake Hogestyn. What really went on there, and how do you feel in retrospect?
It was unfortunate. But I have to say that from the moment I came back to that show I could see it was in disarray. It just seemed to be really schizophrenic. Nobody had a real vision or thru-line as to what was happening with the stories and the characters. The show was all over the place. So I knew from the get-go that we might not last. Mary Beth and I had a talk about that right at the beginning. We were like, ďWe better not get too comfortable here. This could end at any moment.Ē Thatís how crazy things were. Plus, with the economy and the budget being cut, it didnít look good. Ed Scott came into the picture [as executive producer] and morale went up and all the actors were happy, but then there was another [executive producer] change. It was all about politics and personalities and dollars and cents. They fired four expensive people and thatís the reality. I did not take it personally one bit.

And, since then, many more daytime superstars have found their gigs in jeopardy.
You just have to accept it and be grateful when you do have a jobóand Iím very grateful to be at Y&R.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Eric83
Member Avatar
"Relax nobody's having sex.... at least not yet"

Nice interview, I can't wait to see what he brings to Tucker on Y&R.

Days4Life

He's such a great guy, with a wonderful attitude. I'm so happy he's working again.

Kenny
Member Avatar

Ellie
Dec 18 2009, 12:12 PM
Every actor who works on soaps flips channels in his dressing room and every time I landed on Y&R Iíd find the acting to be fantastic. I wasnít laughing at anything. Nothing seemed hokey and stupid. The production values were great. The writing was better than most. And now, on my first day here, I picked up my scripts and could not believe it. There wasnít one sentence or phrase that was hinky, nothing I felt had to be fixed, and thatís really refreshing. Thereís total organization at Y&R. The characters are solid, and the stories are character-driven from what I can tell. And all the actors are exemplary. There isnít a weak link in the whole bunch and Iíve never done a show where thatís been the case.
While I agree with him about the production values, etc. the show is a total snoozefest right now.

mer4santo
Member Avatar

I'm really excited to see him back in daytime and hope he can instill a little fire back into Y+R

daysfanbrady

I REALLY DONT SEE HIM GOING BACK TO DAYS

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Quote:

So youíre just sitting around the house one day and all of a sudden the phone rings and your life changes?
Thatís exactly what happened, and itís happened to me a lot in my career. I tend to be a very lucky person. My wife reminds me of that all the time, and this is yet another stroke of good luck, especially because the call came from Y&R. Every actor who works on soaps flips channels in his dressing room and every time I landed on Y&R Iíd find the acting to be fantastic. I wasnít laughing at anything. Nothing seemed hokey and stupid. The production values were great. The writing was better than most. And now, on my first day here, I picked up my scripts and could not believe it. There wasnít one sentence or phrase that was hinky, nothing I felt had to be fixed, and thatís really refreshing. Thereís total organization at Y&R. The characters are solid, and the stories are character-driven from what I can tell. And all the actors are exemplary. There isnít a weak link in the whole bunch and Iíve never done a show where thatís been the case.
Think that was a rib at DAYS? I do. DAYS plays up for funny a lot when they should be serious. They've done this for years, and I think Nichols went through a lot of that during his second stint on the show, especially when Steve was in the psychiatric ward.

Quote:

And the show will continue to pursue Tuckerís romance with Jill? Do you two have chemistry?
Oh, yeah. I just worked a little with Jess today and it was very easy and open. She has sexual energy and so do I. All we have to do is play it up. Itís going to work out fine.
:wub: If they have the kind of history I'm imagining they'll have in my head, I'm excited!

peaches179

Congrats Stephen! Hope things work out for you!

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

DrewHamilton
Dec 18 2009, 02:55 PM
Quote:

Think that was a rib at DAYS? I do. DAYS plays up for funny a lot when they should be serious. They've done this for years, and I think Nichols went through a lot of that during his second stint on the show, especially when Steve was in the psychiatric ward.

Quote:

:wub: If they have the kind of history I'm imagining they'll have in my head, I'm excited!
I think it was a rib at GH too. I recall him being VERY bitter about how his stint as Stefan ended. He's right about Days though and it's not necessarily a bad thing. Y&R is really the only all out serious soap. All the other soaps have their campy elements.

I was most interested in his comments about how he and MBE always felt uneasy about their jobs at Days. I can't blame them. JER was axed just about right when they agreed to come back. Everything was in disarray and then we had Hogan/Wyman, Hogan/Scott, writer's strike, Higley/Scott, and then Higley/Tomlin. Way too much turnover for a couple who never were properly presented to what was mostly a new audience who had no idea why they should care about them. That was just a recipe for disaster in retrospect.

He handled this very classy though and I can't wait to see how he does, especially with Jess. I have some concerns but I know he will bring it acting-wise.

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

Y&R used to be the only serious soap but I don't think it can claim any camp-free high ground these days.

The squirrel. Mr. Kitty (or was it Miss Kitty?). Adam in a dress scaring the crap out of Ashley. TOTAL CAMP.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

IMissAremid
Dec 19 2009, 10:06 PM
Y&R used to be the only serious soap but I don't think it can claim any camp-free high ground these days.

The squirrel. Mr. Kitty (or was it Miss Kitty?). Adam in a dress scaring the crap out of Ashley. TOTAL CAMP.
Absolutely. I think that is part of the reason why they've seen a decline, numbers-wise and quality-wise.

However, they still try to play that kind of stuff seriously, which I think is Drew's point. Y&R is dabbling in camp but it's doing it in as serious a tone as possible whereas other soaps don't do that.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply