Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
'Spartacus: Blood and Sand' Discussion
Topic Started: Dec 22 2009, 03:22 AM (1,094 Views)
Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

STARZ RETURNS TO THE ARENA WITH MORE 'SPARTACUS'

STARZ RETURNS TO THE ARENA WITH MORE 'SPARTACUS'

Second Season of Highly Anticipated Action Adventure Series Gets Green Light Prior To January 22 Premiere

Burbank, Calif. - December 21, 2009 - In a bold vote of confidence, Starz executives announced plans today to order a second season of the ground-breaking new original series "Spartacus: Blood and Sand," set to premiere Friday, January 22nd at 10 pm ET/PT. The unusual timing of the renewal, more than one month prior to the debut of the highly anticipated program, gives returning executive producers Rob Tapert, Sam Raimi, Joshua Donen and Steven S. DeKnight (who is also the head writer on the show) the green light to start production in New Zealand on 13 new episodes in the first quarter of 2010.

"We couldn't be happier with the first season. Spartacus delivers on all levels - action, characters, intrigue, romance and excitement," said Starz Entertainment EVP, Programming, Stephan Shelanski. "Spartacus is the most ambitious original project we've ever undertaken, and speaks to the commitment to our subscribers to provide truly original programming along with our unmatched lineup of theatrical features."

"Steven S. DeKnight and his team of writers have created a rich narrative that lays the groundwork for more great stories," added Executive Producer Rob Tapert. "The slave rebellion led by Spartacus and the oh-so-current political intrigue and personal dynamics laid out in the first season provide rich source material for the second season and beyond."

The title of the second season is expected to be "Spartacus: Vengeance," but other details are being kept under wraps, so as not to spoil any of the sure-to-shock plot twists the first season promises to deliver.

Nearly 4 million moviegoers saw the new "Spartacus: Blood and Sand" trailer in theaters over the weekend and it is expected to hit wide online today.

"Spartacus: Blood and Sand" features Australian newcomer Andy Whitfield as the title character, a Thracian fighting to return to his wife after being sold into slavery at a gladiatorial school. He is joined by Lucy Lawless ("Xena: Warrior Princess," "Battlestar: Galactica") as the deceptive Lucretia, John Hannah (The Mummy movies) as her power-hungry husband Batiatus, Peter Mensah (300) as the head of the gladiatorial school, Doctore, along with a cast of familiar as well as fresh faces.

The series is shot utilizing virtual environments in the graphic novel style of such successful features as 300 and Sin City. The process gives the show a fresh narrative approach and a hyper-realistic look that is unlike anything yet seen on TV. It's an entirely new vision of the ancient legend.

Debuting exclusively on Starz, "Spartacus: Blood and Sand" is produced by Starz Media with Executive Producers Rob Tapert (The Grudge, "Xena: Warrior Princess" and "Hercules: The Legendary Journeys"), Sam Raimi (Spider-Man and The Evil Dead), Joshua Donen (The Quick and the Dead) and Steven S. DeKnight ("Buffy the Vampire Slayer").
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mateo
Member Avatar
Punk Cabaret is Freedom

So excited for this.

Love the sig. Rick. :D

Lucid
Member Avatar

oh cool, I'm excited to see the show, it better not suck LOL, Thanks R!ck

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

Mateo
Dec 22 2009, 04:37 AM
So excited for this.

Love the sig. Rick. :D
I'm excited too! I think i'm more excited about this than the new season of Nurse Jackie especially after finding out that Mo-Mo is gone :(

Thanks for the sig comment. I'm looking forward to seeing it too. Love Natasha, Mink and Segan :wub:

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

Lucid
Dec 22 2009, 06:05 AM
oh cool, I'm excited to see the show, it better not suck LOL, Thanks R!ck
I have high hopes Lucid. Starz gave them a budget of 2 million per episode which is unheard of for a premium cable show. Sam Raimi said the show will feature the most graphic sex scenes and violence ever produced on television, so there's a lot to live up too LOL

Have you watched the trailer?

Edited by Rick, Dec 23 2009, 04:08 AM.

Lucid
Member Avatar

Thanks Rick, yeah I had seen the trailer and it kinda blew me away. $2M :sheep: that's alot, seems Starz is really behind this project

Lucid
Member Avatar

The first episode is already online, apparently it's the version sent to screeners :blink:

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

RECORD AUDIENCE OF 3.3 MILLION POWERS WEEKEND DEBUT OF NEW STARZ ORIGINAL SERIES, 'SPARTACUS: BLOOD AND SAND'

Released by Starz

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Record Audience of 3.3 Million Powers Weekend Debut of New Starz Original Series, 'Spartacus: Blood and Sand'

ENGLEWOOD, Colo., Jan. 26 -- Updated figures for the series premiere of "Spartacus: Blood and Sand" indicate that more than 3.3 million total viewers* tuned in for episode one of the new Starz Original, a record performance for a series debut on the premium pay TV network.

Based on live plus same-day DVR viewing, the Friday night 10PM ET/PT airing on Starz drew a 2.1 HH rating (661,000 viewers) and Encore a 1.2 rating (580,000 viewers), or more than 1.2 million viewers combined. An additional 430,000 viewers (1.6 HH rating) watched at 11PM ET/PT on Starz.

The 3.3 million viewership figure includes three additional weekend airings on Starz and Encore with same-day DVR usage. Figures from other Starz channels, additional DVR usage, starz.com viewership and on-demand/online previews with affiliates are expected to grow that figure well past 4 million total viewers.

With a gross average viewing audience of more than 2.5 million for the six Starz/Encore airings, Stephan Shelanski, executive vice president, programming for Starz Entertainment commented, "This is the most successful premiere in the company's history. We are very gratified to see that our excitement and faith in the series - already renewed for a second season - has been matched by initial demand. This show is unlike anything ever seen on television, and we are confident that passion for the series will grow as the character development and incredible story arcs unfold."

Post-premiere episodes of "Spartacus: Blood and Sand" debut on Starz on Fridays at 10PM ET/PT with an additional airing on Sunday nights at 10PM ET/PT.

Deleted User
Deleted User

Did anyone watch? Was it any good?
Quote Post Goto Top

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

I though it was good but the blood looked fake and a few of the slow motion scenes should have been cut.

Deleted User
Deleted User

Rick
Jan 27 2010, 04:57 PM
I though it was good but the blood looked fake and a few of the slow motion scenes should have been cut.
Thanks for the input. I think I'll wait until the season is over then see how people feel about it.
Quote Post Goto Top

Mateo
Member Avatar
Punk Cabaret is Freedom

Rick
Jan 27 2010, 04:57 PM
The special effects didn't bother me as much as some of the dialogue. I'm willing to give it more time, but I hope the writing starts to get better.

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

the dialogue bugged me as well. As if they're using modern slang and insults in ancient Rome.

Lucid
Member Avatar

It was OK, not great, honestly I expected more. Lets just say it won't win any acting awards. It did feel a little 300ish at times.

Daytime
Member Avatar

I thought it was okay, enough to make me watch again. The only thing I hated was the splashing of the blood. Everytime they fought, there was blood splashing everywhere.

Plus the only reason why I tuned in because of Lucy Lawless, my inner Xena fangirl came shining through. lol I just hope she has a bigger part in the show.

Liz<3Days
Member Avatar

I just watched it and its a total rip-off of 300 with those slo-mo blood splattering effects. Its ok, still going to give it a shot because its better then a lot of crap on TV!

cubsgirl
Member Avatar

I just watched the first two episode. It wasn't great but it wasn't horrible either. I probably continue to watch. But I do have to agree with Daytime about the blood splattering. One thing it was completely fake and computer added later. But it was used just way to much that it became a distraction. Someone got punched in the face and blood shot all over.

Eric83
Member Avatar
"Relax nobody's having sex.... at least not yet"

I like the show, willing to try it out and become a regular viewer.

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

Viewers
Jan-22 - 659,000
Jan-29 - 773.000
Feb-05 - 858,000
Feb-12 - 662,000
Feb-19 - 846,000
Feb-26 - 1.1 million

Season to Date

Households 2.6
Adults 18-49 Rating: 1.6
Adults 18-49 Viewers 438,000
Men 18+ Rating 1.9
Men 18+ Viewers 442,000

Eric83
Member Avatar
"Relax nobody's having sex.... at least not yet"

Those numbers are nice. They seem to be building a following.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Primetime Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply