Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOD Confirms: Bryan Dattilo Out; Update: No exit story at all, will last air in Feb.
Topic Started: Dec 21 2009, 02:01 PM (6,018 Views)
PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Sindacco
Dec 22 2009, 05:57 PM
lysie
Dec 22 2009, 05:33 PM
DrewHamilton
Dec 22 2009, 05:32 PM
lysie
Dec 22 2009, 05:24 PM

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep
Me too. But sadly, if his way was still the way the show was run, we probably wouldn't have a show right now.
I'm starting to think that might not be such a bad thing.
I'm with you. I would rather see the show end when it's still good than to watch it slowly die like now.
But is it "dying?" Maybe to some people it is or it's already dead but I don't think it's some sort of general sentiment when ratings are up and the morale at the show seems higher then it's been in awhile.

I hate that the show has lost so many vets and beloved characters too but I've watched Days (and soaps, in general) long enough to see so many cast shakeups and turnovers. It's never easy but it happens. I just wish the show would handle the cuts in a more classy and respectful fashion.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Ellie

jane1978
Dec 22 2009, 06:00 PM
As for the exit, I have feeling Tomlin believes in clean cuts and he doesn´t want people who are fired to be on the show for another two months till they tape their last episode and lower the morale. Both Dylan and old Arianna recasts were done behind the actors back and now Brian was again informed only after he already taped his last scene.
I don't disagree with what you're saying here about Tomlin, but I don't think the correct approach to keeping morale high is to dismiss a 16-year employee without informing the other actors. From everything we've seen, Bryan seems to be very well-liked by the cast and crew. I can't imagine the morale will be too high after the break when he's simply not there anymore. My own opinion is that Tomlin's approach is cold and disrespectful. I vehemently disagree with the casting decisions he's made, but leaving that aside, I don't see any business-related reason that he has to do this type of "after-the-fact" firing.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Ellie
Dec 22 2009, 06:06 PM
jane1978
Dec 22 2009, 06:00 PM
As for the exit, I have feeling Tomlin believes in clean cuts and he doesn´t want people who are fired to be on the show for another two months till they tape their last episode and lower the morale. Both Dylan and old Arianna recasts were done behind the actors back and now Brian was again informed only after he already taped his last scene.
I don't disagree with what you're saying here about Tomlin, but I don't think the correct approach to keeping morale high is to dismiss a 16-year employee without informing the other actors. From everything we've seen, Bryan seems to be very well-liked by the cast and crew. I can't imagine the morale will be too high after the break when he's simply not there anymore. My own opinion is that Tomlin's approach is cold and disrespectful. I vehemently disagree with the casting decisions he's made, but leaving that aside, I don't see any business-related reason that he has to do this type of "after-the-fact" firing.

Tomlin's proving that disrespectful business is successful business.

Ellie

DrewHamilton
Dec 22 2009, 06:11 PM
But that's my point - perhaps the show would do even better were he not to be so heartless about the firings. As I said, I'm not talking about WHO was fired, I'm talking about how it was done. I have seen no evidence at all that that's influenced the show in a positive way, even though that seems to be his 'strategy'. Rather, the cast members keep giving interviews pining away for the days of Ed Scott. If morale were higher now, perhaps the acting performances would be better, the cast would be more eager to do appearances, etc etc.

Sindacco
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Dec 22 2009, 06:01 PM
Sindacco
Dec 22 2009, 05:57 PM
lysie
Dec 22 2009, 05:33 PM
DrewHamilton
Dec 22 2009, 05:32 PM

I'm starting to think that might not be such a bad thing.
I'm with you. I would rather see the show end when it's still good than to watch it slowly die like now.
But is it "dying?" Maybe to some people it is or it's already dead but I don't think it's some sort of general sentiment when ratings are up and the morale at the show seems higher then it's been in awhile.

I hate that the show has lost so many vets and beloved characters too but I've watched Days (and soaps, in general) long enough to see so many cast shakeups and turnovers. It's never easy but it happens. I just wish the show would handle the cuts in a more classy and respectful fashion.
Not in ratings. But to me personally it's dying.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

lysie
Dec 22 2009, 05:59 PM
PhoenixRising05
Dec 22 2009, 05:34 PM
DrewHamilton
Dec 22 2009, 05:12 PM
sungrey
Dec 22 2009, 04:59 PM
Exactly. I'm starting to think this show WAS better off under Ken Corday, in some ways.
And that's why a lot of us DAYS fans react the way we react when shit like this happens. We're just not used to it. For years, our favorites were always featured and we were always granted treats of past favorites returning no matter how much they cost or how much they weren't needed. But giving those treats to the audience nearly cost Corday the job. So from a business aspect, this is his life after all, he's smart to let Tomlin, who is a businessman and knows how to manage a soap, it's smart to give him the reigns.
And that is where it's complicated. The sentimental aspect of this is that you would love to keep vets like Dattilo, Evans, Nichols, Hall, etc but at what cost? It's not just about pay cuts anymore. That isn't enough. It's part of it but it isn't enough. I think if Days were able that they would've kept most of those they let go of, regardless of Tomlin. Days was always caving in to fan protest when they let someone go but that cycle only made things worse. The problem is Corday waited too long for big change. Had he not been so careless Days may not have had to do something so drastic. Instead, it was like a constant revolving door of writers and cast members and that isn't good for any show.

I know some feel like they would rather have no show at all then to have to lose so many beloved characters and to see what the show has become BUT you have to remember that there are still many people who stand to lose their jobs if this show leaves the air. Corday and co have a responsibility to them and to the fans to do what it takes to keep the show going. Has the business aspect taken precedence? It sure has but it should've long ago. If it did, Corday still could've held on to some of the vets but he dug too much of a hole, sadly.
If I were still being entertained, I wouldn't feel that way. But I'm not. It's got very little to do with the characters that have been let go or sentimentality. Days doesn't feel like Days anymore. The resident bad girl is having butt kissed by everyone. The villains are everywhere. There's one recognizable couple, and they're barely a couple. There's approximately three sets. There are no Hortons, and there really aren't very many Bradys anymore. Most of the younger set are just invented characters. There's no familiarity and what little there is barely used. I don't think Corday's main responsibility is to his actors. It's to the people he's trying to sell this product to, and the product sucks. Don't get me wrong. I don't want anyone to lose their jobs. I just don't think their jobs are worth much anymore.
I'm sure the jobs are worth alot to the people in the cast and crew holding them down. It's easy for a viewer (especially one who is no longer entertained and has seen some of their faves leave the show) to feel a "why bother?" attitude but these people have families and themselves to support so while it may not be worth it to you, it's worth it for them and for Corday and co who have to look these people in the eye everyday and do what is necessary to keep the show afloat for all involved and for the fans who do enjoy it and want it to remain on the air.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Ellie
Dec 22 2009, 06:13 PM
DrewHamilton
Dec 22 2009, 06:11 PM
But that's my point - perhaps the show would do even better were he not to be so heartless about the firings. As I said, I'm not talking about WHO was fired, I'm talking about how it was done. I have seen no evidence at all that that's influenced the show in a positive way. Rather, the cast members keep giving interviews pining away for the days of Ed Scott. If morale were higher now, perhaps the acting performances would be better, the cast would be more eager to do appearances, etc etc.
I agree with you in that they are handling this all wrong. I have no issue with the cuts but the way they are being done is ridiculous. I don't see how it helps morale handling it this way. If anything, it makes it an even more bitter pill to swallow. I'm sure the cast gets it and they get over it, especially when it's just one cut unlike last year when it was several big ones at once. That has to be harder to deal with but I do think if the material they are getting is good and if ratings are up, morale recovers.

As for the Ed Scott thing, I've only heard one person recurringly calling for his return and that was Peter Reckell. Nichols and Evans talk of him but they are no longer with the show. No one else currently on the show has even bothered to mention Ed Scott since Tomlin joined.

aimees76
Member Avatar

Exclusive Interview: Bryan Dattilo on Being Fired from Days — After 17 Years!
December 22, 2009
Digg It De.licio.us RSS print email
Salem is going to have to do without one of its biggest troublemakers! After 17 years of playing Lucas Roberts Horton, Bryan Dattilo has been let go from Days of Our Lives — and Star has an exclusive interview with the star.
Just days before Christmas, Bryan — who shared much of his screen time with Alison Sweeney — received news that the NBC soap opera wouldn't be renewing his contract. Although the single dad is sorry his days are numbered, he's looking forward to new opportunities.

“My contract runs out in February and I’ve been told by the producers that it’s not being renewed,” Bryan tells Star exclusively. “I really enjoyed my years on Days and I am grateful for having had the opportunity to travel the world and meet so many great fans in person.

“For the past couple years I’ve had to turn down jobs that would move me to prime-time because I was under contract to Days. But now that I am not tied to the show, I can explore some new and exciting opportunities.”

His castmate Alison, who also moonlights as host of Biggest Loser, immediately expressed her disappointment, tweeting: "I'm seriously devastated."

Bryan has already filmed his final scenes and his last episode will air on February. He'll be spending the holidays in the Chicago area with his son Gabe, 10, but plans to hit the ground running when he returns to Los Angeles.

http://www.starmagazine.com/bryan_dattilo_exclusive/news/16351

lysie
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Dec 22 2009, 06:14 PM
lysie
PhoenixRising05
DrewHamilton

And that is where it's complicated. The sentimental aspect of this is that you would love to keep vets like Dattilo, Evans, Nichols, Hall, etc but at what cost? It's not just about pay cuts anymore. That isn't enough. It's part of it but it isn't enough. I think if Days were able that they would've kept most of those they let go of, regardless of Tomlin. Days was always caving in to fan protest when they let someone go but that cycle only made things worse. The problem is Corday waited too long for big change. Had he not been so careless Days may not have had to do something so drastic. Instead, it was like a constant revolving door of writers and cast members and that isn't good for any show.

I know some feel like they would rather have no show at all then to have to lose so many beloved characters and to see what the show has become BUT you have to remember that there are still many people who stand to lose their jobs if this show leaves the air. Corday and co have a responsibility to them and to the fans to do what it takes to keep the show going. Has the business aspect taken precedence? It sure has but it should've long ago. If it did, Corday still could've held on to some of the vets but he dug too much of a hole, sadly.
If I were still being entertained, I wouldn't feel that way. But I'm not. It's got very little to do with the characters that have been let go or sentimentality. Days doesn't feel like Days anymore. The resident bad girl is having butt kissed by everyone. The villains are everywhere. There's one recognizable couple, and they're barely a couple. There's approximately three sets. There are no Hortons, and there really aren't very many Bradys anymore. Most of the younger set are just invented characters. There's no familiarity and what little there is barely used. I don't think Corday's main responsibility is to his actors. It's to the people he's trying to sell this product to, and the product sucks. Don't get me wrong. I don't want anyone to lose their jobs. I just don't think their jobs are worth much anymore.
I'm sure the jobs are worth alot to the people in the cast and crew holding them down. It's easy for a viewer (especially one who is no longer entertained and has seen some of their faves leave the show) to feel a "why bother?" attitude but these people have families and themselves to support so while it may not be worth it to you, it's worth it for them and for Corday and co who have to look these people in the eye everyday and do what is necessary to keep the show afloat for all involved and for the fans who do enjoy it and want it to remain on the air.
But are they actually succeeding at their jobs? That's what I'm saying. Of course their jobs are important to them, but we're the audience/consumer. Many of whom have been around for decades. We shouldn't have to accept crap just because they mismanaged their money.

As for the ratings, they're definitely up, but they really don't seem to be up that much. The show is just kind of at a base level and it doesn't fluctuate much. So it's higher than last year, but barely. That's significant for a few reasons, but the ratings aren't as high asthe show has been making it sound, IMO.

Ellie

PhoenixRising05
Dec 22 2009, 06:31 PM
As for the Ed Scott thing, I've only heard one person recurringly calling for his return and that was Peter Reckell. Nichols and Evans talk of him but they are no longer with the show. No one else currently on the show has even bothered to mention Ed Scott since Tomlin joined.
Regarding Ed Scott- I thought I remembered more interviews, though truthfully how many employees who worked under him are still at the show? At any rate, I honestly don't have time to look now, but I am going to try to check sometime as it seems to me we've heard an awful lot about him lately. But I could be wrong.

Ellie

aimees76
Dec 22 2009, 06:36 PM
Thanks Aimee for posting this. I hope he finds something in prime time, if that's what he's looking for! I'm sure he's been increasingly frustrated with Days, and on some level he must feel 'liberated'. However, he is currently unemployed, and I don't think his positive attitude (which is great!) excuses how the show's treated him.

Miss Rhi
Member Avatar
"If Sami can't find happiness with a Martian, then she can't find happiness with anyone."

Ali not knowing makes it look like BD wasn't comfortable enough to tell her and seems to confirm that they aren't as close anymore like we've been speculating.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

jane1978

lysie
PhoenixRising05
DrewHamilton
sungrey
Dec 22 2009, 04:59 PM
Exactly. I'm starting to think this show WAS better off under Ken Corday, in some ways.
And that's why a lot of us DAYS fans react the way we react when shit like this happens. We're just not used to it. For years, our favorites were always featured and we were always granted treats of past favorites returning no matter how much they cost or how much they weren't needed. But giving those treats to the audience nearly cost Corday the job. So from a business aspect, this is his life after all, he's smart to let Tomlin, who is a businessman and knows how to manage a soap, it's smart to give him the reigns.

I really don´t agree with this. I lost all my favorites years ago but IMO last year felt as DAYS more than almost anything during this decade. It was the first year after a while where I was really caught in the story which actually went somewhere. The show introduced some newbies I really care about. And even when the episode isn´t most entertaining or even boring the final still makes me interested enough to read the Prevuze next day and look forward to the next episode. I think that´s what defines a succesfull show.

It certainly doesn´t mean everything is perfect and I´m sure the producers and writers are first who are frustrated and desperate on daily basis because all the sets, budget and time limitations are forcing them to dumb the characters and do zilions of compromises which prevents them from telling the story the way they really want. Still, I see a real attempt to make the show as best as possible which after years of totall incopetence, wastefull spending and personal vendettas against actors is a big relieve. I agree Hortons and Bradys are losing they importance in favor of Kiriakises and DiMeras, but IMO it happened naturaly and it´s better the show uses already established characters, even if they are not from the main families, than to bring bunch of newbies with big names hoping they will catch on and refocus the show on them by force.

lysie
Member Avatar

jane1978
Dec 22 2009, 07:08 PM
lysie
PhoenixRising05
DrewHamilton

I really don´t agree with this. I lost all my favorites years ago but IMO last year felt as DAYS more than almost anything during this decade. It was the first year after a while where I was really caught in the story which actually went somewhere. The show introduced some newbies I really care about. And even when the episode isn´t most entertaining or even boring the final still makes me interested enough to read the Prevuze next day and look forward to the next episode. I think that´s what defines a succesfull show.

It certainly doesn´t mean everything is perfect and I´m sure the producers and writers are first who are frustrated and desperate on daily basis because all the sets, budget and time limitations are forcing them to dumb the characters and do zilions of compromises which prevents them from telling the story the way they really want. Still, I see a real attempt to make the show as best as possible which after years of totall incopetence, wastefull spending and personal vendettas against actors is a big relieve. I agree Hortons and Bradys are losing they importance in favor of Kiriakises and DiMeras, but IMO it happened naturaly and it´s better the show uses already established characters, even if they are not from the main families, than to bring bunch of newbies with big names hoping they will catch on and refocus the show on them by force.
LOL. Well, that's fine. But I don't care about any of the newbies (and I've usually warmed up to the newbies by now, but if they all disappeared tomorrow I'd be fine with that), and I hated this past year. To each his/her own, but this current version of the show certainly isn't mine.

~bl~
Member Avatar

Thanks for the article on Bryan. I feel for those who love the character of Lucas and Bryan's acting. It is rough when you watch a soap and over time many of the characters and actors who play them have been shown the door. SIGH

dylan76
Member Avatar

As much as I dislike the character of Lucas, I do remember a time long ago when Bryan Dattillo was my favorite actor on DAYS. I guess my change of heart can be blamed on the writing of his character. He does seem like a nice guy even if he is a big dork. I at least think they shoulda wrote a goodbye scene. I hate when characters vanish.

Tammy
Member Avatar

When you loose a character/actor you like it sucks granted. But the way they have been getting rid of characters these past few years is a kick in the ass to long time viewers. I mean seriously how can you choose which is worse? A crappy exit or none at all? Its a no win situation with the fans.

As much as I hate to say it (being a J&M fan) the last good exit for a character was when they killed off John. Then they brought him back and ALL the exits thereafter were horrible.

I am guessing they are sending characters off like this because they just don't feel like hearing the backlash from the fans. It's like TPTB have deluded themselves into thinking that the fans can BS themselves into believing that just because you don't see them in "Salem" doesn't mean they aren't there. And it gives the fans hope that they will pop up sometime in the future, and therefore the fans will tune in everyday with the hope they will see their favs again.
Edited by Tammy, Dec 22 2009, 07:29 PM.

aimees76
Member Avatar

Ellie
Dec 22 2009, 06:57 PM
aimees76
Dec 22 2009, 06:36 PM
Thanks Aimee for posting this. I hope he finds something in prime time, if that's what he's looking for! I'm sure he's been increasingly frustrated with Days, and on some level he must feel 'liberated'. However, he is currently unemployed, and I don't think his positive attitude (which is great!) excuses how the show's treated him.
YW, and I agree. I know that he is happy and looking forward to new opportunities, but I am still feeling a bit selfish and wishing he could have remained on Days, and actually gotten a good storyline ... *sigh* Oh well. I can really see him doing well on a comedy, so I hope something good pans out for him soon. And you are right, there is no excuse for how the show treated him.

Regarding Ali ... I wonder if he felt a bit like I feel ... like she has Galen now ... IDK, just speculating.

Mason

♥ Tammy ♥
Dec 22 2009, 07:27 PM
I am guessing they are sending characters off like this because they just don't feel like hearing the backlash from the fans. It's like TPTB have deluded themselves into thinking that the fans can BS themselves into believing that just because you don't see them in "Salem" doesn't mean they aren't there. And it gives the fans hope that they will pop up sometime in the future, and therefore the fans will tune in everyday with the hope they will see their favs again.
I don't think it's that. I think they just plain don't care. I think they don't care enough about the characters to give them even a half-way decent exit, and I don't think they care what the fans think about it because they know they can get away with it. I think their mentality is "If the fans like it, great; if not, well, screw 'em 'cause this is what they're getting." Really makes you feel appreciated.
Edited by Mason, Dec 22 2009, 07:31 PM.

aimees76
Member Avatar

Mason
Dec 22 2009, 07:31 PM
¢¾ Tammy ¢¾
Dec 22 2009, 07:27 PM
I don't think it's that. I think they just plain don't care. I think they don't care enough about the characters to give them even a half-way decent exit, and I don't think they care what the fans think about it because they know they can get away with it. I think their mentality is "If the fans like it, great; if not, well, screw 'em 'cause this is what they're getting." Really makes you feel appreciated.
I completely agree. This is why I am done with this show.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply