Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOD Confirms: Bryan Dattilo Out; Update: No exit story at all, will last air in Feb.
Topic Started: Dec 21 2009, 02:01 PM (6,165 Views)
UKDaysFan
Member Avatar

♥ Tammy ♥
Dec 22 2009, 07:27 PM
When you loose a character/actor you like it sucks granted. But the way they have been getting rid of characters these past few years is a kick in the ass to long time viewers. I mean seriously how can you choose which is worse? A crappy exit or none at all? Its a no win situation with the fans.

As much as I hate to say it (being a J&M fan) the last good exit for a character was when they killed off John. Then they brought him back and ALL the exits thereafter were horrible.

I am guessing they are sending characters off like this because they just don't feel like hearing the backlash from the fans. It's like TPTB have deluded themselves into thinking that the fans can BS themselves into believing that just because you don't see them in "Salem" doesn't mean they aren't there. And it gives the fans hope that they will pop up sometime in the future, and therefore the fans will tune in everyday with the hope they will see their favs again.
Yeah, and I'm guessing they timed it in the hope that it would be buried in the holiday season, so by the time the online fans got back into the swing of the NY, this was old news. Great strategy, but hating their evilness.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Liz<3Days
Member Avatar

I think AS knew that BD's contract wasnt going to be picked up. Now, whether she knew if his cycle wasnt going to be picked up is anyones guess. I think TPTB waited til the cast left for their break to tell BD, so AS could of been surprised about that part.

I dont care for the way they have gotten rid of the cast recently. The audience knows that they're "not in Africa," or some shit like that. I call it lazy ass writing. They only write for the SLs that they think are going to get the more attention and/or ratings.

Although I have liked the consistency in SL and the long term organization and planning of the show, these characters and actors are in our living rooms everyday, so people are rightly upset. Its the "coldness" of the way this was done, not necessarily the act.

angmc
Member Avatar

http://www.starmagazine.com/bryan_dattilo_exclusive/news/16351

Salem is going to have to do without one of its biggest troublemakers! After 17 years of playing Lucas Roberts Horton, Bryan Dattilo has been let go from Days of Our Lives and Star has an exclusive interview with the star.

Just days before Christmas, Bryan who shared much of his screen time with Alison Sweeney received news that the NBC soap opera wouldn't be renewing his contract. Although the single dad is sorry his days are numbered, he's looking forward to new opportunities.

My contract runs out in February and Ive been told by the producers that its not being renewed, Bryan tells Star exclusively. I really enjoyed my years on Days and I am grateful for having had the opportunity to travel the world and meet so many great fans in person.

For the past couple years Ive had to turn down jobs that would move me to prime-time because I was under contract to Days. But now that I am not tied to the show, I can explore some new and exciting opportunities.

His castmate Alison, who also moonlights as host of Biggest Loser, immediately expressed her disappointment, tweeting: "I'm seriously devastated."

Bryan has already filmed his final scenes and his last episode will air on February. He'll be spending the holidays in the Chicago area with his son Gabe, 10, but plans to hit the ground running when he returns to Los Angeles.

Thanks to Brooke at DC!

angmc
Member Avatar

Bad job by Days :hmmph:

Red Mist
Member Avatar

Thanks Ang. I hope he finds a new role soon. I bet we see him in prime-time.

Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

I think he would do well in comedy. He's a funny guy!

aimees76
Member Avatar

I just hope he gets something soon, I miss him already. :(

NavJLee8785
Member Avatar
Always the Panic Spreader

What pissed me off the most when this came out was when I did the previous interview with him a month ago, he was informed that he had a storyline waiting for him when the character of Lucas gets out of rehab. I guess they "SAY" a lot of things, and the team does something else. I feel bad for him getting the short end of the stick again!

aimees76
Member Avatar

Yeah, he really deserves better than that ... not that they all don't. He is such a great guy, and could have played whatever they gave him, if only they had written for him ....

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

NavJLee8785
Dec 22 2009, 11:30 PM
What pissed me off the most when this came out was when I did the previous interview with him a month ago, he was informed that he had a storyline waiting for him when the character of Lucas gets out of rehab. I guess they "SAY" a lot of things, and the team does something else. I feel bad for him getting the short end of the stick again!
I don't understand that at all. I mean, there are a limited number of possibilities here:

1. They legitimately had a big story planned for him or that at least included him and then not only changed their minds but decided not to even renew his contract.

2. They never had a big story in mind--but then why lie to him? What was the point of that? If they didn't want to tell him they were non-renewing him until the end (though if his contract isn't up until February they really didn't wait until the last second) perhaps out of fear he would publicly badmouth the show, I still don't see the need to lie about him having a big story.

3. BD is lying about being told he would have a big story. I have no idea why he would do that but I suppose it's possible.

If (1) is true, what made them change their minds? (2) seems by far the strongest possibility, but again I just don't know what the motive would be to lie. Just tell him, we're not sure what the future holds but for now you're on contract. The guy in my signature is famous for telling guys up front if they're going to be traded, are getting waived, etc., and I really think people appreciate that kind of honesty--don't tell me I'm with the team if you're planning to cut me, you know?

Ellie

Paxton
Dec 22 2009, 11:41 PM
NavJLee8785
I don't understand that at all. I mean, there are a limited number of possibilities here:

1. They legitimately had a big story planned for him or that at least included him and then not only changed their minds but decided not to even renew his contract.

2. They never had a big story in mind--but then why lie to him? What was the point of that? If they didn't want to tell him they were non-renewing him until the end (though if his contract isn't up until February they really didn't wait until the last second) perhaps out of fear he would publicly badmouth the show, I still don't see the need to lie about him having a big story.

3. BD is lying about being told he would have a big story. I have no idea why he would do that but I suppose it's possible.

If (1) is true, what made them change their minds? (2) seems by far the strongest possibility, but again I just don't know what the motive would be to lie. Just tell him, we're not sure what the future holds but for now you're on contract. The guy in my signature is famous for telling guys up front if they're going to be traded, are getting waived, etc., and I really think people appreciate that kind of honesty--don't tell me I'm with the team if you're planning to cut me, you know?
My guess would be a variation on #1. Someone had a big story planned for him and told him that, but someone else overrode that person and decided that BD should be let go.

Paxton
Member Avatar

But who would have enough authority to both plan a story and tell BD that but not have enough authority not to get overruled? I mean, let's say Whitesell wanted to write story for Lucas--would he tell him that? I guess I was under the impression the writers don't mingle with the actors nor do they have the authority to decide who to write for, even the head writers. I really would like to know more about the backstage politics--it's undoubtedly many times more interesting than the show.
Edited by Paxton, Dec 22 2009, 11:50 PM.

evilD
Member Avatar

There's obviously backstage politics in soaps, just like there is in pro wrestling. And since pro wrestling is considered soap opera for men, I guess it just fits this thread LOL.

From an outside perspective, backstage politics are intriguing because of our curious nature, as we all wanna know the dish about certain things. It's a whole different thing when you're actually part of it. You wanna give somebody a big opportunity to shine because you believe in this person but someone in a more powerful position will decide otherwise and throw away your idea. It doesn't only affect the person involved but also the writer as well because you feel frustrated that your input isn't taken into consideration. That's why I left the wrestling business a couple of years ago. That didn't affect my passion and love for it but I came out less enthusiastic and more realistic about how it works.

So, to me, the 2nd option of Bryan Dattilo being promised a big story and in the end, not getting it, makes perfect sense to me because I actually know from experience that this can happen. We will probably never know the truth because only Ken Corday knows the actual truth. In any event, good luck to him in the immediate future.

Ellie

Paxton
Dec 22 2009, 11:50 PM
But who would have enough authority to both plan a story and tell BD that but not have enough authority not to get overruled? I mean, let's say Whitesell wanted to write story for Lucas--would he tell him that? I guess I was under the impression the writers don't mingle with the actors nor do they have the authority to decide who to write for, even the head writers. I really would like to know more about the backstage politics--it's undoubtedly many times more interesting than the show.
Well, I mean these are all just guesses, but what if Corday wanted Bryan to stay and get a story, but Tomlin and Whitesell wanted Bryan out. I think Corday is very loyal to many of the 'vets', including BD, but as we've seen, there must be other realities at work there. Now, didn't Suzanne say that Corday pulled her aside and told her she had a story coming up? So maybe he did the same to Bryan, yet at the same time Tomlin was moving ahead with the plan to let Bryan go. Again, just a guess, but I think it could explain why Bryan said what he did.

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

Ellie
Dec 22 2009, 11:46 PM
Paxton
Dec 22 2009, 11:41 PM
NavJLee8785

My guess would be a variation on #1. Someone had a big story planned for him and told him that, but someone else overrode that person and decided that BD should be let go.

With the firing of the DHs exactly a year ago at roughly the same time, its more likely that this is Days once again reevaluating its budget for the coming year, or quarter - whatever. They've added newbies that cost money, they may have gone over budget on some other things, etc. Lucas was an easy character to cut, he's no longer a contender for Sami and doesnt have chemestry with anyone else. Of course as a Horton he has other family connections to draw upon, but none that are going to keep an expensive 17 year actor under contract. Perhaps they should have sought a recurring status for him.

Paxton
Member Avatar

It's funny how what people think of as a creative business is more, well, business. It was a huge surprise to me to learn that the writers have relatively little power when, logically, at least to me, they seemed like they should have the most.

I know we're just speculating here, but I can buy a scenario where Corday said one thing and Tomlin and/or Whitesell had other plans. If that's the case, and if Corday really has taken a hands-off approach to the day to day dirty business of running the show, including firings, then he needs to stay out of it totally.

Anyway, I certainly do feel bad for BD if he was promised something that didn't pan out. I won't miss the character of Lucas particularly, but I don't like the way the character was treated for the last 18 months or so. I hated (HATED) Lucas with Chloe but there were things they could have done with him that wouldn't have irritated me.

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

Its really not much different than what happened last year when they had that story mapped out for Jarlena with that ex-AW woman. Obviously it got truncated and scrapped for the budget realities.

Paxton
Member Avatar

Well, but the difference there, I think, was that at least John and Marlena had some story. Granted, it sucked horribly, gave Sandra Robinson the thankless task of being a pointless interloper, and wound up with a most offensive exit for John and Marlena, but I can't even say Lucas had a story to go wrong.

I do agree with you that there were likely budget issues at play, and it is an interesting thought to ponder as to why BD didn't drop to recurring. Was it offered? If not, why not? And why am I still stuck with Mia and Roman (oh, look, writers, I just came up with one of your favored age-inappropriate pairings!) and Chad and Sami and Melanie?

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

I barely watch the show anymore, for reasons like this and am a bit out of the loop. Its a mess, this "improvement" that the blogs and mags are raving about is a joke. But Mia and Roman? For serious?! Why is Roman even still there, and the same for Abe and Lexie. There's your budget problem right there. The mayor role is not needed. Neither is Lexie and her disaproving glares to characters actually driving what this show considers story, and her ceremonial COS job at the hospital when there are already 3 other doctors.
Edited by Drew, Dec 23 2009, 12:44 AM.

Kenny
Member Avatar

Drew
Dec 23 2009, 12:38 AM
This "improvement" that the blogs and mags are raving about is a joke.
I agree.

The show has improved in some ways, but it's been waaaaay over-hyped. There's still a lot of work to be done.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
ZetaBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply