Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOD Confirms: Bryan Dattilo Out; Update: No exit story at all, will last air in Feb.
Topic Started: Dec 21 2009, 02:01 PM (6,159 Views)
Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

Found out the news about Bryan late Friday night. Not happy about it myself.

Judie Henninger

http://twitter.com/heyjude14/status/6955455383
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

jane1978

Paxton
Dec 23 2009, 12:08 AM
It's funny how what people think of as a creative business is more, well, business. It was a huge surprise to me to learn that the writers have relatively little power when, logically, at least to me, they seemed like they should have the most.

I know we're just speculating here, but I can buy a scenario where Corday said one thing and Tomlin and/or Whitesell had other plans. If that's the case, and if Corday really has taken a hands-off approach to the day to day dirty business of running the show, including firings, then he needs to stay out of it totally.

Anyway, I certainly do feel bad for BD if he was promised something that didn't pan out. I won't miss the character of Lucas particularly, but I don't like the way the character was treated for the last 18 months or so. I hated (HATED) Lucas with Chloe but there were things they could have done with him that wouldn't have irritated me.
I donīt think it has to be necesseraly a conflict between Tomlin and Corday. It could be Corday just trying to appease Datillo before he is send on that temporary leave and next calling to writers they really have to write something for him after he returns. He is known for doing that. It could be just some vague story idea that existed at that time but when they put it on paper and started to develop into a storyline it didnīt work as well as they hoped and finally decided itīs not worthy. And of course, it could be budget, because the show uses some recurring characters like Justin and Victor much more than they originally planned and needed to save some money elsewhere.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Angie79
Dec 23 2009, 02:42 AM

Judie Henninger

OK, I'm either totally dumb when it comes to names in this business (nothing new), or I'm having a brain fart, but who is Judie Henninger?

Vicky4Mimi

ladyofthelake
Dec 23 2009, 06:53 AM
Angie79

Judie Henninger

OK, I'm either totally dumb when it comes to names in this business (nothing new), or I'm having a brain fart, but who is Judie Henninger?
Judie is a promo producer. Some of became familar with her on twitter when she told us that Safe was the #1 couple and it caused a stir. She seems to be a nice gal.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Vicky4Mimi
Dec 23 2009, 07:50 AM
ladyofthelake
Dec 23 2009, 06:53 AM
Angie79

Judie Henninger

Judie is a promo producer. Some of became familar with her on twitter when she told us that Safe was the #1 couple and it caused a stir. She seems to be a nice gal.
OK, thanks! They did keep it close to the vest, then.

aimees76
Member Avatar

Ali Sweeney on Bryan Dattilo's Departure

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DAYS's Sweeney On Dattilo's Departure

Alison Sweeney (Sami) opens up about the exit of beloved co-star Bryan R. Dattilo (Lucas), who has finished his run in Salem. "I'm so sad that the producers have decided to let go of Bryan Dattilo," she says. "I shot our last scenes together and I didn't even know it. I am so upset, not just for me, and the cast, crew and DAYS fans who will miss him tremendously, but for Sami, too. They've been a major part of each other's lives for 17 years, and at this point, I have no idea how they'll explain his absence, but it will, without question, be a major void in Sami's life."

http://soapoperadigest.com/news/breaking/

Vicky4Mimi

aimees76
Dec 23 2009, 12:37 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alison Sweeney (Sami) opens up about the exit of beloved co-star Bryan R. Dattilo (Lucas), who has finished his run in Salem. "I'm so sad that the producers have decided to let go of Bryan Dattilo," she says. "I shot our last scenes together and I didn't even know it. I am so upset, not just for me, and the cast, crew and DAYS fans who will miss him tremendously, but for Sami, too. They've been a major part of each other's lives for 17 years, and at this point, I have no idea how they'll explain his absence, but it will, without question, be a major void in Sami's life."

Thanks Aimees. I think most are taking Bry's sitution very hard. It is a terrible mistake on the part of TPTB.

Kenny
Member Avatar

aimees76
Dec 23 2009, 12:37 PM

Aww.

I miss old school Sami and Lucas. :(

aimees76
Member Avatar

Me too :(

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

jane1978
Dec 23 2009, 06:39 AM
Paxton
It's funny how what people think of as a creative business is more, well, business. It was a huge surprise to me to learn that the writers have relatively little power when, logically, at least to me, they seemed like they should have the most.

I know we're just speculating here, but I can buy a scenario where Corday said one thing and Tomlin and/or Whitesell had other plans. If that's the case, and if Corday really has taken a hands-off approach to the day to day dirty business of running the show, including firings, then he needs to stay out of it totally.

Anyway, I certainly do feel bad for BD if he was promised something that didn't pan out. I won't miss the character of Lucas particularly, but I don't like the way the character was treated for the last 18 months or so. I hated (HATED) Lucas with Chloe but there were things they could have done with him that wouldn't have irritated me.
I donīt think it has to be necesseraly a conflict between Tomlin and Corday. It could be Corday just trying to appease Datillo before he is send on that temporary leave and next calling to writers they really have to write something for him after he returns. He is known for doing that. It could be just some vague story idea that existed at that time but when they put it on paper and started to develop into a storyline it didnīt work as well as they hoped and finally decided itīs not worthy. And of course, it could be budget, because the show uses some recurring characters like Justin and Victor much more than they originally planned and needed to save some money elsewhere.

Something weird definitely happened though. A few weeks before Lucas returned, Judie Henninger was on Twitter asking fans for ideas for stories for Lucas. Fast forward to a few weeks later and Bryan is gone. I have a feeling Drew may be on to something. They may have looked at what they have coming and decided someone had to go to offset the budget or maybe they felt whatever they had planned just wouldn't fit. Either way, I think they had ideas and were also fishing for ideas because I doubt they would've even bothered with the rehab junk or to even bring him back from rehab just to have him appear a few times and fade off the canvas. It makes no sense.

Those AS quotes are sad. I figured she would take this hard but it does seem like she knew it was coming only she didn't know when he was taping his last scenes. That is cruel. I hate the way they handled this.

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
♥ LUMI ♥

I really believe TPTB lied to BD....maybe Kenny since he's a known liar pulled BD aside when they gave him the news about the off screen rehab and told him that he would be back with a wonderful storyline. It would have been amazing to actually tie him into the storyline with Maggie and how she will cope with Mickey's death. It would have also been amazing to actually have Lucas be the one who is tragically injured in that accident instead of the rumored "one of Sami's kids"....something tells me that the kid will now be Johnny which would bring Sami and EJ closer and would create angst for Safe. However by having Lucas be the one that is injured by a drunk Maggie and have him barely come out of that in a wheelchair or blind would have been very dramatic. It would have drawn in many players, not only Sami obviously but Kate, Will and others but it would have been about Lucas.....they fucked BD and his fans over plain and simple. Dee recently stated that she was willing to stay at a reduced rate but they refused....I wonder if they are just getting rid of all the faces that we the viewing audience associates with DOOL so that when it's cancelled we all won't feel as if we're losing much.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

six
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Dec 23 2009, 01:14 PM
jane1978
Dec 23 2009, 06:39 AM
Paxton

Something weird definitely happened though. A few weeks before Lucas returned, Judie Henninger was on Twitter asking fans for ideas for stories for Lucas. Fast forward to a few weeks later and Bryan is gone. I have a feeling Drew may be on to something. They may have looked at what they have coming and decided someone had to go to offset the budget or maybe they felt whatever they had planned just wouldn't fit. Either way, I think they had ideas and were also fishing for ideas because I doubt they would've even bothered with the rehab junk or to even bring him back from rehab just to have him appear a few times and fade off the canvas. It makes no sense.

Those AS quotes are sad. I figured she would take this hard but it does seem like she knew it was coming only she didn't know when he was taping his last scenes. That is cruel. I hate the way they handled this.
That was just sad -soliciting fans for storylines. The NBC surveys kept asking what to do with Lucas, too. It makes me wonder if they were really interested in ideas, or trying to gauge just how many people were invested enough to suggest a story, or both?

I can understand them bringing him back from rehab, even if they knew beforehand that it wouldn't be long term. It tied up loose ends. He got to confront Chloe for telling Sami's secret, and to make amends. Who knows what his last scenes will bring, but after that chat with Maggie on the pier, his character was in a better state than it was in, at the end of the rehab story. He showed more growth.

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

I like Lucas. But it does make sense to cut the character. They are wasting money paying Bryan, when they clearly have no plan to use him.

Tammy
Member Avatar

Drew
Dec 23 2009, 12:38 AM
I barely watch the show anymore, for reasons like this and am a bit out of the loop. Its a mess, this "improvement" that the blogs and mags are raving about is a joke. But Mia and Roman? For serious?! Why is Roman even still there, and the same for Abe and Lexie. There's your budget problem right there. The mayor role is not needed. Neither is Lexie and her disaproving glares to characters actually driving what this show considers story, and her ceremonial COS job at the hospital when there are already 3 other doctors.
I don't watch this show anymore so I really have no room to comment on it lol. However please tell me that I am reading this wrong... ^ that isn't referring to Roman and Mia as a "couple" is it? Or you saying why keep these characters and get rid of Lucas?

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

♥ Tammy ♥
Dec 26 2009, 10:29 PM
Drew
I barely watch the show anymore, for reasons like this and am a bit out of the loop. Its a mess, this "improvement" that the blogs and mags are raving about is a joke. But Mia and Roman? For serious?! Why is Roman even still there, and the same for Abe and Lexie. There's your budget problem right there. The mayor role is not needed. Neither is Lexie and her disaproving glares to characters actually driving what this show considers story, and her ceremonial COS job at the hospital when there are already 3 other doctors.
I don't watch this show anymore so I really have no room to comment on it lol. However please tell me that I am reading this wrong... ^ that isn't referring to Roman and Mia as a "couple" is it? Or you saying why keep these characters and get rid of Lucas?
LOL . . . I think this is my fault. I made a joke upthread about Roman and Mia as a couple since Dena lurves her older man/younger women pairings and that was the most disgusting one I could think of. But fortunately for me, we haven't seen Roman in action since Bo had one of his fantabulous "visions" of Hope and Roman in bed together that turned out to be, mercifully, misleading.

Tammy
Member Avatar

Paxton
Dec 26 2009, 10:49 PM
♥ Tammy ♥
Dec 26 2009, 10:29 PM
Drew
LOL . . . I think this is my fault. I made a joke upthread about Roman and Mia as a couple since Dena lurves her older man/younger women pairings and that was the most disgusting one I could think of. But fortunately for me, we haven't seen Roman in action since Bo had one of his fantabulous "visions" of Hope and Roman in bed together that turned out to be, mercifully, misleading.
Oh thank GAWD... cuz that thought alone made me want to hurl lmao.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply