Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
TVGC Interview with Crystal Chappell, Entertainer of the Year
Topic Started: Dec 29 2009, 12:56 AM (5,855 Views)
hunterforrester
Member Avatar

http://tvguide.ca/Soaps/Features/Articles/091230_2009_entertainer_of_the_year_NB.htm
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Kirk
Member Avatar
Captain Kirk

Loved this interview Nelson.

I am glad CC actually has some meaty material coming up for February sweeps and I hope she delivers. So far I don't understand all the praise for her.

Kenny
Member Avatar

Quote:

hat I filmed this past week as Carly is really dramatic but that won’t air until February. There’s a lot of juicy stuff coming up for Carly.
Ooh, I hope this mean's the Vivian/Carly plot is finally going to move forward.

Euripedes

Kenny
Dec 29 2009, 01:32 AM
Quote:

hat I filmed this past week as Carly is really dramatic but that won’t air until February. There’s a lot of juicy stuff coming up for Carly.
Ooh, I hope this mean's the Vivian/Carly plot is finally going to move forward.
Great interview. Crystal's been a busy lady this year.

Hopefully, the Vivian story will be underway soon. I feel like we read the gaslighting storyline two months ago, and still nadda.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Quote:

TVG: You’ve been back as Carly for a few months now — do you feel like you’ve shed Olivia’s skin and become Dr. Manning again?
CC: I do. I’m totally settled in as Carly now. In the beginning, there was a brief adjustment because I had to re-acquaint myself with the old way of shooting a soap again. That took a few weeks. Now that we’re heavy into Carly’s story, I feel like I know who she is again. And I’ve thrown some of Olivia into Carly whenever I can. I like that Carly’s darker. She’s a good person, but she’s no longer a victim and not scared to fight back.
I'm so glad she admitted this. So many times I, along with others, would mention that something feels off with Chappell after seeing her work on GL. She just didn't seem to be using her abilities like she did over there. And we were shut down with comments about how Chappell is "doing just fine" and this is "how Carly's supposed to be written." Bullshit. I called it then and Chappell's words have made me call it again. She sucked when she first came to DAYS and I'm glad she's able to admit it.

Kenny
Member Avatar

Euripedes
Dec 29 2009, 01:49 AM
Crystal's been a busy lady this year.
She has been. Between GL, Days, Venice and all the promotion she's done, I don't know how she keeps herself sane, LoL. She'll probably win another Emmy next year, although I agree with her that she hasn't done anything Emmy-worthy since returning to Days.

Kenny
Member Avatar

DrewHamilton
Dec 29 2009, 01:51 AM
I'm so glad she admitted this. So many times I, along with others, would mention that something feels off with Chappell after seeing her work on GL. She just didn't seem to be using her abilities like she did over there. And we were shut down with comments about how Chappell is "doing just fine" and this is "how Carly's supposed to be written." Bullshit. I called it then and Chappell's words have made me call it again. She sucked when she first came to DAYS and I'm glad she's able to admit it.
I wouldn't say she sucked, but there was definitely something "off" about her performances. When she first came back to the show, it felt like her heart wasn't in it. I don't know if she just saw Carly as a boring character or if Days brought back bad memories for her or if she thought the cast wouldn't like her, but it really seemed like her heart was elsewhere.

Even now it feels like Days is kind of an afterthought to her in interviews, etc. She goes on and on and about how much she loves Venice and Otalia and Olivia, and then at the end she'll throw in the necessary "Days is good too." It's the same way on Twitter. She'll tweet for hours and hours about Venice/Otalia/etc. but when someone asks her about Days, she just says "it's great!" and that's the end of it, LoL.

Regardless, it does seem like she's finally grown into the role of Carly again and her performances feel more natural now.

Euripedes

DrewHamilton
Dec 29 2009, 01:51 AM
Quote:

TVG: You’ve been back as Carly for a few months now — do you feel like you’ve shed Olivia’s skin and become Dr. Manning again?
CC: I do. I’m totally settled in as Carly now. In the beginning, there was a brief adjustment because I had to re-acquaint myself with the old way of shooting a soap again. That took a few weeks. Now that we’re heavy into Carly’s story, I feel like I know who she is again. And I’ve thrown some of Olivia into Carly whenever I can. I like that Carly’s darker. She’s a good person, but she’s no longer a victim and not scared to fight back.
Crystal probably hit her groove about three weeks ago--around the time Carly started having snarky conversations with Justin.

Definitely no Emmy-worthy material from DAYS, and I highly doubt she would have submitted anything given she's only had three months of material that was pretty mediocre. I suspect she'll only get more comfortable as Carly gets a little more fleshed out.

Crystal's Emmy reel for Guiding Light should be wonderful, though her quiet performances always seems to be overshadowed by other reels that have the full-on dramatic effects.

ETA: Crystal was like that on Twitter during her Guiding Light run. She rarely acknowledges storyline details beyond working with co-stars. There was quite some time when she didn't tweet about Guiding Light--she sort of dropped a hint one day that if she didn't talk about the show, that she was unsatisfied with story. Given that she acknowledges DAYS, it probably means she's fine with the story.
Edited by Euripedes, Dec 29 2009, 02:14 AM.

Kenny
Member Avatar

Quote:

Alison Sweeney and Ari Zucker delivered such unforgettable performances this past year that I think it’s their year to be recognized.
I don't know what show Crystal has been watching, but I haven't been impressed by Alison Sweeney once since I started watching again a few months ago.

Euripedes

Kenny
Dec 29 2009, 02:18 AM
Quote:

Alison Sweeney and Ari Zucker delivered such unforgettable performances this past year that I think it’s their year to be recognized.
I don't know what show Crystal has been watching, but I haven't been impressed by Alison Sweeney once since I started watching again a few months ago.
LOL...methinks CC was being courteous. You don't name drop AZ without AS--they've been connected almost to the hip with this story. Of course, AS is the "star" of the show, so AZ cannot possibly overpower her.

StephanieYates
Member Avatar

TVG: I was genuinely surprised and impressed that DAYS didn’t rush into a Bo and Carly romance.
CC: I was assured of that when I signed on. DAYS is only concerned with telling a good story and if something doesn’t work, it doesn’t work; if it works, it works. Bo was having problems with Hope long before Carly arrived in town, and likewise, Carly was obviously having problems with Lawrence [laughs]! At this point, as far as I’m concerned, neither Bo nor Carly are ready for a relationship.

really?! so i guess they decided to just stick each others tongues down their throats for shits and giggles..
and i guess them having sex in january/february is just them playing tag under the covers.... :thumbsdown: :bs:

AlisonLou

I wasn't impressed with this statement either. And what's with the "neither Bo nor Carly are ready for a relationship" ?
Of course they are not. He's married to Hope! He loves Hope not Carly! There shouldn't be a relationship between Bo and Carly except friendship. I'm getting annoyed with her interviews. One minute she is saying Bo and Carly are just friends the next we hear Bo and Carly are going to be boinking each other! She really needs to watch what she says in interviews its starting to get confusing.

cassie1013

I seriously don't get all the CC propping...maybe it's because I had no idea who she was until 6 weeks ago, but she has yet to prove her "amazingness" to me. Further, hasn't GL always been THE worst soap with THE worst ratings? lol! So the fact all this propping is coming from someone off that show of all soaps is even more surprising. Unless, of course, she was the only good thing.

Anyway, yes, her performances were off at the beginning of DAYS. It was like she was there, and "acting", but not all there - in the moment - ya know? Even the scenes with Vivian, the first time around, were awkward, as much as I still liked them.

cassie1013

AlisonLou
Dec 29 2009, 02:52 AM
I wasn't impressed with this statement either. And what's with the "neither Bo nor Carly are ready for a relationship" ?
Of course they are not. He's married to Hope! He loves Hope not Carly! There shouldn't be a relationship between Bo and Carly except friendship. I'm getting annoyed with her interviews. One minute she is saying Bo and Carly are just friends the next we hear Bo and Carly are going to be boinking each other! She really needs to watch what she says in interviews its starting to get confusing.
LOL I know - wasn't she quoted recently saying there wasn't going to be anything romantic between Bo and Carly? Um...really? Because a) this is DAYS and they wouldn't bring back Carly - a former love interests of Bo's - and not play that and b) I just saw them kiss on my TV...and read some other spoilers.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

cassie1013
Dec 29 2009, 02:54 AM
I seriously don't get all the CC propping...maybe it's because I had no idea who she was until 6 weeks ago, but she has yet to prove her "amazingness" to me. Further, hasn't GL always been THE worst soap with THE worst ratings? lol! So the fact all this propping is coming from someone off that show of all soaps is even more surprising. Unless, of course, she was the only good thing.

Anyway, yes, her performances were off at the beginning of DAYS. It was like she was there, and "acting", but not all there - in the moment - ya know? Even the scenes with Vivian, the first time around, were awkward, as much as I still liked them.
Amen. Course, I never watched GL, but CC hasn't overly impressed me. I saw this mentioned somewhere else (can't remember if it was here or another board), but someone said CC is coming right up behind Lisa Rinna in the PR department, and I agree with whomever made that comment.
I'll come out on a limb and say it....it's possible there's a lot of hype because this Otalia or whatever was rather groundbreaking, as is Venice, and not necessarily because of CC's acting. Now, I'm saying that as someone who hasn't seen them, but it's speculation.
I watched the preview freebie for Venice, and I was NOT impressed. Then again, (LK aside, because I think she's a good actress and somehow, she's just grown on me over the years), I tend to be turned off by actresses with overly-Botoxed lips.
That being said, I think CC is awesome against Louise Sorel, who is one of those actresses who seem to bring out the spunk in anyone, like AZ.
LOL at the comments about CC's Sweeney compliments!

Sindacco
Member Avatar

Why can't she just leave Days? It's obvious she only cares about that crap called Venice and those rabid Otalia-fans.

Bo and Hope are being ruiend for this mediocre actress. Ridiculous.

Euripedes

ladyofthelake
Dec 29 2009, 06:20 AM
cassie1013
Dec 29 2009, 02:54 AM

Amen. Course, I never watched GL, but CC hasn't overly impressed me. I saw this mentioned somewhere else (can't remember if it was here or another board), but someone said CC is coming right up behind Lisa Rinna in the PR department, and I agree with whomever made that comment.
I'll come out on a limb and say it....it's possible there's a lot of hype because this Otalia or whatever was rather groundbreaking, as is Venice, and not necessarily because of CC's acting. Now, I'm saying that as someone who hasn't seen them, but it's speculation.
I watched the preview freebie for Venice, and I was NOT impressed. Then again, (LK aside, because I think she's a good actress and somehow, she's just grown on me over the years), I tend to be turned off by actresses with overly-Botoxed lips.
That being said, I think CC is awesome against Louise Sorel, who is one of those actresses who seem to bring out the spunk in anyone, like AZ.
LOL at the comments about CC's Sweeney compliments!
As Crystal would say: For those people who think my lips are not real, they can kiss my God-Given gift.

karmakatch63

AlisonLou
Dec 29 2009, 02:52 AM
Crystal is an actress, not a writer. She gives HER opinions about characters, and does not dictate storylines. Trashing an actress for an opinion seems off. No matter what she thinks or wants, in the end, the writers, not Crystal, decides.
I understand some Hope fans, sometimes known as BOPE fans, see any character in a story with Bo as a threat but that does not mean the actor is pushing it. or lying about it.

In an industry overall dominated by males on the production side, I understand why CC is getting so much hype. She is a fine actress but more than that she is pushing the genre to be more inclusive. Many admire that. THAT is what the hype's about.

Harmony233

IA with CC about Bo nor Carly being ready for a realtionship even though I like them.Bo has a wife and Carly has enough issues before even jumping into a realtionship.Being in an abused realtionship you don't just get over it like that.Lots of times it scars people for life.

Liz<3Days
Member Avatar

I get that shes trying to promote Venice, but I for one am tired of it being the center of her universe. She got a job at a time where most of her cast didnt. I wished that would be more in the forethought in her interviews then an afterthought.

Just because you have a lot of material and are in the "A" storyline doesnt mean you should automatically submit for an EMMY....yes I'm talking about you AS!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply