Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
TVGC Interview with Crystal Chappell, Entertainer of the Year
Topic Started: Dec 29 2009, 12:56 AM (5,872 Views)
ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

molsongrrrl
Jan 2 2010, 10:37 PM

Branco is for sure too much of a fan girl. But get thee to youtube and watch some of CC's work as Olivia. Particularly Olivia's confession of love to Natalia. CC is very very good. I'm not sure she's been given all that much to do yet on Days. But she will deliver when she is.

Sorry, I've viewed her work and she's OK, she's just not one for me to get excited about. Different strokes.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

karmakatch63

ladyofthelake
Jan 3 2010, 10:03 AM
molsongrrrl

Branco is for sure too much of a fan girl. But get thee to youtube and watch some of CC's work as Olivia. Particularly Olivia's confession of love to Natalia. CC is very very good. I'm not sure she's been given all that much to do yet on Days. But she will deliver when she is.

Sorry, I've viewed her work and she's OK, she's just not one for me to get excited about. Different strokes.
That's the thing about acting. It's an art. And like all art, particular styles appeal to difference people. What is great to one person is mediocre to another.
There are many actors on the soaps hailed by many and I simple do not get. Tony Geary has never appealed to me, acting wise, look wise, character wise. Don't get the hoopla.

On DAYS I don't get the appeal of Sami at all. Mediocre writing and acting all around. On the other hand, Zucker always pulls me in.

Mikegoldy
Member Avatar

Sam09
Jan 3 2010, 10:12 AM
ladyofthelake
molsongrrrl

That's the thing about acting. It's an art. And like all art, particular styles appeal to difference people. What is great to one person is mediocre to another.
There are many actors on the soaps hailed by many and I simple do not get. Tony Geary has never appealed to me, acting wise, look wise, character wise. Don't get the hoopla.

On DAYS I don't get the appeal of Sami at all. Mediocre writing and acting all around. On the other hand, Zucker always pulls me in.
To be fair, I don't think anyone could think that Sweeney is a better actress than Zuker :laugh: And I say that as a fan of Ally. Anyway, everyone is allowed to his opinion, but I too thought Crystal was amazing on GL. The depth she brought to Olivia was amazing. I think she has been great on DAYS too, but she certainly hasn't yet received some of the writing she had on GL. I will always be a Kristian fan, always a Crystal fan, a Robin Strasser (Dorian-OLTL) fan, maybe I'm biased.

Harmony233

Mikegoldy
Jan 3 2010, 10:24 AM
Sam09
ladyofthelake
molsongrrrl

To be fair, I don't think anyone could think that Sweeney is a better actress than Zuker :laugh: And I say that as a fan of Ally. Anyway, everyone is allowed to his opinion, but I too thought Crystal was amazing on GL. The depth she brought to Olivia was amazing. I think she has been great on DAYS too, but she certainly hasn't yet received some of the writing she had on GL. I will always be a Kristian fan, always a Crystal fan, a Robin Strasser (Dorian-OLTL) fan, maybe I'm biased.
speaking of AZ and AS.I wonder if they will put themselves in lead or supporting.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Sam09
ladyofthelake
molsongrrrl

THERE'S something we agree on. I believe Zucker is awesome. And since I'm a musician by trade and have been involved in theater, I certainly understand all about art. ;) And, no, I don't see the appeal for Sami, either, except that Allison Sweeney seems to be a very personable young lady. I think she's great in lighter fair and was better a few years ago.

cassie1013

Sam09
Jan 3 2010, 08:29 AM
cassie1013
Jan 3 2010, 03:23 AM
fancyface78
Jan 2 2010, 05:51 PM
Sam09
Jan 2 2010, 01:36 PM

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep
So its not petty that people have their "fingers and toes crossed" that Kristian's contract doesn't get picked up in a few months because they want Bo paired with Carly?

Kristian is a person too and I find it repulsive that anyone would want her unemployed just because they want the story to go a certain way. If THAT isn't petty, I don't know what is.
This is a prime example of something else I don't understand about soap opera culture vs. the entertainment industry in general. So what if Kristian, Peter, and Crystal are real people? So are Britney Spears, Brad Pitt, and Jennifer Aniston - we can say that they're drug addicts, cheating whores, and forever-single...and that's OK? All six of these people put themselves out there for consumption by the general public. Yes, they may be on different levels, but that doesn't change the fact they are all "out there" as celebrities. This protective notion that soap fans have over the actors and their "jobs" is pathetic. We don't owe them anything, and if they're putting themselves on TV - yes, a choice they made - it's fair that the public can make whatever comments they want.

And it's not this "protective notion" that bothers me as much as the double standard. I remember some fans were profusely arguing how inappropriate it was to discuss rumours of a Deidre Hall and Drake Hogestyn hook up - but it's ok to discuss the fact that Brad Pitt left his wife for Angelina Jolie? What's the fucking difference? And whether or not either of these stories have truth to them is irrelevant...this is what drives celebrity culture, media and the entertainment industry today.

Soaps are backward in more ways than one.
I doubt any soap actor makes the kind of money Brad, Angelina or Jennifer make. Perhaps if they had the same perks, they would deserve the same level of personal attack. LOL

No one is saying you cannot trash the actors at all. You just can't do it on privately owned bbs who have the right to stipulate their rules. I guarantee if you go chat with some KA fans on their private chat bbs, you would see personal trashing of other actors is allowed. But most actors, I would guess, don't like THEIR personal bbs, they are paying for, used to trash their colleagues. It makes them look petty.

But there are plenty of private UNofficial bbs for certain actors/fans where actor trashing, rumoring mongering is acceptable.
Tabloids make money on nasty gossip and rumor mongering. So yea, lots of people like it. And there are places to go and to do it. Some people, however, look for bbs to discuss things in a different fashion and prefer not to be attacked about their views. Free speech ONLY applies to the government not stopping your right to gossip, etc. Privately owned entities like SC, or here, or other places get to set their own rules.
Well, I don't know if I'd chalk it up to the fact they make less. They do, but they still make six figure salaries - that of Doctors and Lawyers. And what about reality stars, then? This Snookie from Jersey Shore seems to be trashed all over the place, and I'm sure she makes less money than Kristian Alfonso!

SC's rules are stupid for one reason and one reason alone: the fact that the general opinion on the board is skewed. Like, if you were a producer at DAYS, you wouldn't be able to tell how the show is doing based on checking out that board. It's so ridiculous, living in ga-ga land over a show!

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Mikegoldy
Sam09
ladyofthelake
molsongrrrl

Now Robin Strasser is someone I consider a consummate, fabulous actress, as well as highly professional (just based on what I've read and seen). Something I admire about her....she doesn't pull any punches.

cassie1013

Harmony233
Jan 3 2010, 11:59 AM
Mikegoldy
Sam09
ladyofthelake

speaking of AZ and AS.I wonder if they will put themselves in lead or supporting.
I would assume lead, but this brings me to a different question: what determines an actor as lead or supporting - number of episodes aired, or something else?

DOOL1965

I think that bringing back AZ/Nicole was one of the smartest moves DOOL has made. She is an amazing actress. KA/Hope will always be my favorite, but AZ/Nicole is next.

fancyface78
Member Avatar

Sam09
cassie1013
fancyface78
Sam09

So its not petty that people have their "fingers and toes crossed" that Kristian's contract doesn't get picked up in a few months because they want Bo paired with Carly?

Kristian is a person too and I find it repulsive that anyone would want her unemployed just because they want the story to go a certain way. If THAT isn't petty, I don't know what is.
This is a prime example of something else I don't understand about soap opera culture vs. the entertainment industry in general. So what if Kristian, Peter, and Crystal are real people? So are Britney Spears, Brad Pitt, and Jennifer Aniston - we can say that they're drug addicts, cheating whores, and forever-single...and that's OK? All six of these people put themselves out there for consumption by the general public. Yes, they may be on different levels, but that doesn't change the fact they are all "out there" as celebrities. This protective notion that soap fans have over the actors and their "jobs" is pathetic. We don't owe them anything, and if they're putting themselves on TV - yes, a choice they made - it's fair that the public can make whatever comments they want.

And it's not this "protective notion" that bothers me as much as the double standard. I remember some fans were profusely arguing how inappropriate it was to discuss rumours of a Deidre Hall and Drake Hogestyn hook up - but it's ok to discuss the fact that Brad Pitt left his wife for Angelina Jolie? What's the fucking difference? And whether or not either of these stories have truth to them is irrelevant...this is what drives celebrity culture, media and the entertainment industry today.

I doubt any soap actor makes the kind of money Brad, Angelina or Jennifer make. Perhaps if they had the same perks, they would deserve the same level of personal attack. LOL

No one is saying you cannot trash the actors at all. You just can't do it on privately owned bbs who have the right to stipulate their rules. I guarantee if you go chat with some KA fans on their private chat bbs, you would see personal trashing of other actors is allowed. But most actors, I would guess, don't like THEIR personal bbs, they are paying for, used to trash their colleagues. It makes them look petty.

But there are plenty of private UNofficial bbs for certain actors/fans where actor trashing, rumoring mongering is acceptable.
Tabloids make money on nasty gossip and rumor mongering. So yea, lots of people like it. And there are places to go and to do it. Some people, however, look for bbs to discuss things in a different fashion and prefer not to be attacked about their views. Free speech ONLY applies to the government not stopping your right to gossip, etc. Privately owned entities like SC, or here, or other places get to set their own rules.
Just curious, why are you singling out KA fans? And where are the boards where her fans bash Crystal? I'd like to know. And are you saying that anyone who bashes Crystal must be a KA fan? Because I don't think that is true.

hopebrady

Sam09
cassie1013
fancyface78
Sam09

I don't know why there is such a need from you to make every single post about KA or her fans. And you find it necessary to make an accusatory post about her and her character as a person. KA has one official board and one official message board and one official chat room where the rules are adhered to by any fan that chooses to participate and those rules are, no actor bashing and no talking about the actors personal lives etc. All discussions are to be kept to the show, the storyline, and any happenings that may take place with KA in the realm of appropriate discussion. Any other boards that may exist, public or private is not controlled by KA. Just as the others fan boards that aren't official aren't controlled by an actor or actress. But KA's official board is run with class and respect to her co-workers because KA respects her co-workers and she wants her board run with the same dignity. And in that sense, any fan representing her on her official board is representing her with class and are asked to represent her in that manner.

I am not sure if you are saying it is okay to say what you want in private or on boards that aren't connected directly to the actors, which I hope you aren't because what I've run across of from certain fanbases bashing KA relentlessly always amazes me that is okay to personally attack as a way of support. Actors shouldn't be bashed period . KA is doing her job just as every other actor is doing their job. If you are a KA fan, then you are a KA fan. If you are a Hope fan, then naturally you support Hope. But I've seen many mistake supporting Hope and defending Hope as fans saying there is a vendetta out against CC. Hope fans and KA fans know the difference between the actor and the character. And it would be really nice to be able to post something about Hope and it not be twisted as a some planned attack. The projecting is tiresome and unfair to the fans who are being unfairly accused. And the accusatory post about KA is tiresome and unfair. Some Carly fans (and notice I said Carly) don't like Hope and some Hope fans (notice I said Hope) don't like Carly.Those are characters. And very fictitious as you have said. Just because someone doesn't like a character, that has nothing to do with an actor. It's the story and the character they are reacting to, not the actor. Actor bashing is wrong. It is unfair to the actor. No actor deserves that.

karmakatch63

hopebrady
Jan 3 2010, 07:41 PM
Sam09
cassie1013
fancyface78

I don't know why there is such a need from you to make every single post about KA or her fans. And you find it necessary to make an accusatory post about her and her character as a person. KA has one official board and one official message board and one official chat room where the rules are adhered to by any fan that chooses to participate and those rules are, no actor bashing and no talking about the actors personal lives etc. All discussions are to be kept to the show, the storyline, and any happenings that may take place with KA in the realm of appropriate discussion. Any other boards that may exist, public or private is not controlled by KA. Just as the others fan boards that aren't official aren't controlled by an actor or actress. But KA's official board is run with class and respect to her co-workers because KA respects her co-workers and she wants her board run with the same dignity. And in that sense, any fan representing her on her official board is representing her with class and are asked to represent her in that manner.

I am not sure if you are saying it is okay to say what you want in private or on boards that aren't connected directly to the actors, which I hope you aren't because what I've run across of from certain fanbases bashing KA relentlessly always amazes me that is okay to personally attack as a way of support. Actors shouldn't be bashed period . KA is doing her job just as every other actor is doing their job. If you are a KA fan, then you are a KA fan. If you are a Hope fan, then naturally you support Hope. But I've seen many mistake supporting Hope and defending Hope as fans saying there is a vendetta out against CC. Hope fans and KA fans know the difference between the actor and the character. And it would be really nice to be able to post something about Hope and it not be twisted as a some planned attack. The projecting is tiresome and unfair to the fans who are being unfairly accused. And the accusatory post about KA is tiresome and unfair. Some Carly fans (and notice I said Carly) don't like Hope and some Hope fans (notice I said Hope) don't like Carly.Those are characters. And very fictitious as you have said. Just because someone doesn't like a character, that has nothing to do with an actor. It's the story and the character they are reacting to, not the actor. Actor bashing is wrong. It is unfair to the actor. No actor deserves that.
I don't know if you are referring to me. I was responding to the reasons why there is no actor bashing allowed on SC, a board owned by SONY. Whether or not I agree with actor bashing is moot. Obviously as one can see in this thread some are OK with it. Other people are not. But on a privately owned board, the owner decides what is allowed and not allowed. SONY does not want actor bashing. I don't believe most actors allow it on their bbs....though at one time it happened before actors knew how to be more strict about it, or hired people to monitor. However, we all know there are bbs where actors are trashed.......private bbs not affiliated with or owned by the actor.

DOOL1965

If an actor/actress can't handle critism, they should not be in the business. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions as to whether they like the actor/actress playing the character. It is part of it.

cassie1013

DOOL1965
Jan 3 2010, 08:44 PM
If an actor/actress can't handle critism, they should not be in the business. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions as to whether they like the actor/actress playing the character. It is part of it.
THANK YOU.

MarvinPepper
Member Avatar

Sam09
Jan 3 2010, 08:06 PM
hopebrady
Sam09
cassie1013

Quoting limited to 4 levels deepprime example of something else I don't understand about soap opera culture vs. the entertainment industry in general. So what if Kristian, Peter, and Crystal are real people? So are Britney Spears, Brad Pitt, and Jennifer Aniston - we can say that they're drug addicts, cheating whores, and forever-single...and that's OK? All six of these people put themselves out there for consumption by the general public. Yes, they may be on different levels, but that doesn't change the fact they are all "out there" as celebrities. This protective notion that soap fans have over the actors and their "jobs" is pathetic. We don't owe them anything, and if they're putting themselves on TV - yes, a choice they made - it's fair that the public can make whatever comments they want.

I don't know if you are referring to me. I was responding to the reasons why there is no actor bashing allowed on SC, a board owned by SONY. Whether or not I agree with actor bashing is moot. Obviously as one can see in this thread some are OK with it. Other people are not. But on a privately owned board, the owner decides what is allowed and not allowed. SONY does not want actor bashing. I don't believe most actors allow it on their bbs....though at one time it happened before actors knew how to be more strict about it, or hired people to monitor. However, we all know there are bbs where actors are trashed.......private bbs not affiliated with or owned by the actor.
Actually, in your post you said: "I guarantee if you go chat with some KA fans on their private chat bbs, you would see personal trashing of other actors is allowed." And I suspect that this is the comment that hopebrady is responding to. You did actually single out KA fans in your post and made no mention of other fanbases. I have seen boards from other fanbases where Kristian (the actress, not "Hope" the character) has been mercilessly trashed and personally attacked by people on those boards in a very vicious and spiteful way, some of which have very familiar people posting on them. However no mention is ever made of these boards or fanbases. Just because someone doesn't like a character and has an opinion about that character, doesn't automatically translate that they are bashing an actor. And just because Hope fans defend Hope the character, doesn't mean they hate Crystal the actress. Some people don't seem to be able to distinguish between the character and the actor. Suspecting people are bashing an actor or assuming people are bashing an actor is a lot different from it actually happening.

karmakatch63

MarvinPepper
Jan 4 2010, 03:03 AM
Sam09
Jan 3 2010, 08:06 PM
hopebrady
Sam09

Quoting limited to 4 levels deepprime

Actually, in your post you said: "I guarantee if you go chat with some KA fans on their private chat bbs, you would see personal trashing of other actors is allowed." And I suspect that this is the comment that hopebrady is responding to. You did actually single out KA fans in your post and made no mention of other fanbases. I have seen boards from other fanbases where Kristian (the actress, not "Hope" the character) has been mercilessly trashed and personally attacked by people on those boards in a very vicious and spiteful way, some of which have very familiar people posting on them. However no mention is ever made of these boards or fanbases. Just because someone doesn't like a character and has an opinion about that character, doesn't automatically translate that they are bashing an actor. And just because Hope fans defend Hope the character, doesn't mean they hate Crystal the actress. Some people don't seem to be able to distinguish between the character and the actor. Suspecting people are bashing an actor or assuming people are bashing an actor is a lot different from it actually happening.
Whatever. It has been implied here and elsewhere that KA fans never trash any actor. It has been implied that KA has been unfairly trashed because of Hope. Not going to do a dance of going through every post and every response to prove KA fans were not singled out. Anyone on the BBs knows what happens. NO FAN BASE is innocent and that's the truth. And on private bbs I have read fans of many actors trashing their favorite's rival, i.e. the actor portraying the rival. From DH fans trashing LK, to KA fans trashing the Billie actors, to CC fans trashing KA, to KA fans trashing CC.

But the point you are obviously missing was that in private bbs it can and will happen. On the boards owned by SONY, they are strict about not allowing it. The comment to which I was responding was about "what's the big deal about not allowing actor trashing." The obvious was that there was actor trashing of CC right here on this board from a KA fan so to say KA fans are the exception and do not actor trash is hardly true. Nuff said. Deal with it. KA fans trash actors as much as any other fan group.

DOOL1965

My only question is how did CC get Entertainer of the Year in the first place? Maybe, she is an ok actress, but to get this award. No, I don't think so and personally, I don't understand how she got this award. I watched her on GL and I watched her the first time on DOOL. She is just an ok actress. Then, there is this time around on DOOL, I have seen nothing with her.
I'm sorry. She is not Entertainer of the Year material and DOOL could have brought back a much better and more useful character than Carly.
Edited by DOOL1965, Jan 4 2010, 01:03 PM.

Blazin_Blue

DOOL1965
Jan 4 2010, 01:02 PM
My only question is how did CC get Entertainer of the Year in the first place? Maybe, she is an ok actress, but to get this award. No, I don't think so and personally, I don't understand how she got this award. I watched her on GL and I watched her the first time on DOOL. She is just an ok actress. Then, there is this time around on DOOL, I have seen nothing with her.
I'm sorry. She is not Entertainer of the Year material and DOOL could have brought back a much better and more useful character than Carly.
It's not an Actress of the Year award. It's not based on her talent (though I think she deserves more Emmys than the one she has). She got it because of the media frenzy she was in. There's the big Otalia s/l, then GL getting canceled and her going back to Days, then starting Venice. And her fanbase got her even more attention on top of that. She was all over the place in soap news. It was a very busy year for her. She deserves it.

lysie
Member Avatar

Sam09
Jan 2 2010, 08:50 PM
lysie
Jan 2 2010, 08:01 PM
Sam09
Jan 2 2010, 01:29 PM
DOOL1965
Jan 2 2010, 01:22 PM

So you think CC writes for Carly and makes decisions for her? You do understand actors have no power over their characters, don't you???
Of course she doesn't, but you'd think she'd know what her story is. So far everything she has said has happened the opposite of how she's told us, IMO. I don't care. I don't dislike her, and I don't dislike the character. She's not my favorite, but I'm not paying attention to anything she says about the storylines anymore, lol.
And Lucas told his fans he had a big story coming up. Was BD playing some game?? Oh yea, I remember when Dee told the fans about this great love scene that was going to happen with John and Marlena on the plane crash and lo and behold, it was pathetic. Was Dee lying? You would think she would know what was taped.

Do you seriously blame the actors for the writers decisions? Are you implying the actors purposely mislead their fans? Or only CC does that? I guess I am not getting your point.
I don't think she was playing a game at all, and I'm not blaming anyone for anything. I just don't know why she bothered to say anything since she clearly didn't know where the story was going. I also wasn't the person who brought this up, so I'm not really sure why you're talking to me like this. I think the actors are lied to a lot, and then they do interviews that end up making them look stupid. CC has said multiple times that she was not being brought back to be put with Bo, and from the beginning it seems like that's exactly what she was brought back for and the way was paved for her before she came back. It seems like she would have realized from her own scenes that that's where this was headed. Obviously not. No, I'm not blaming her, but I've been saying for a while that the actors have been doing a less than impressive job in interviews lately. That's not exclusive to CC. You're right. The actors have no writing control...so maybe they need to stop talking about the future of their stories.

(as for Deidre, she did film that scene. It was cut)
Edited by lysie, Jan 4 2010, 02:01 PM.

DOOL1965

y
lysie
Jan 4 2010, 01:58 PM
Sam09
Jan 2 2010, 08:50 PM
lysie
Jan 2 2010, 08:01 PM
Sam09
Jan 2 2010, 01:29 PM

Of course she doesn't, but you'd think she'd know what her story is. So far everything she has said has happened the opposite of how she's told us, IMO. I don't care. I don't dislike her, and I don't dislike the character. She's not my favorite, but I'm not paying attention to anything she says about the storylines anymore, lol.
And Lucas told his fans he had a big story coming up. Was BD playing some game?? Oh yea, I remember when Dee told the fans about this great love scene that was going to happen with John and Marlena on the plane crash and lo and behold, it was pathetic. Was Dee lying? You would think she would know what was taped.

Do you seriously blame the actors for the writers decisions? Are you implying the actors purposely mislead their fans? Or only CC does that? I guess I am not getting your point.
I don't think she was playing a game at all, and I'm not blaming anyone for anything. I just don't know why she bothered to say anything since she clearly didn't know where the story was going. I also wasn't the person who brought this up, so I'm not really sure why you're talking to me like this. I think the actors are lied to a lot, and then they do interviews that end up making them look stupid. CC has said multiple times that she was not being brought back to be put with Bo, and from the beginning it seems like that's exactly what she was brought back for and the way was paved for her before she came back. It seems like she would have realized from her own scenes that that's where this was headed. Obviously not. No, I'm not blaming her, but I've been saying for a while that the actors have been doing a less than impressive job in interviews lately. That's not exclusive to CC. You're right. The actors have no writing control...so maybe they need to stop talking about the future of their stories.

(as for Deidre, she did film that scene. It was cut)
That's my point, CC says one thing in an interview about her character Carly, then Carly does the exact opposite of what CC said. Just like her intervew about Carly not coming back to be with Bo, then her character Carly goes full speed ahead with Bo. Hello, just what does CC think that her character Carly is doing by playing this little innocent act with Bo. I don't believe her. The way that she was brought back makes it look like they paved the way for CC/Carly to return and have a sl to be with Bo by separating Bo and Hope before they brought CC/Carly back. This sl should have been better written. The writers, producers, and CC herself knew that there would be alot of fans that would give both CC and her character Carly crap when they brought her back this way, so it is their own fault. If they didn't want it, they should have done it differently. They are getting exactly what they asked for. If, they couldn't have brought CC/Carly back with a sl of her own without having to separate and destroy characters, then CC/Carly should have never been brought back. There were other characters that they could have brought back that would have made more sense than having CC/Carly to return in the first place. Maybe, they should think of how the current and longtime fans are going to react before they write a sl like this.
Edited by DOOL1965, Jan 4 2010, 02:24 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply