Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
TVGC Interview with Crystal Chappell, Entertainer of the Year
Topic Started: Dec 29 2009, 12:56 AM (5,840 Views)
Kenny
Member Avatar

DOOL1965
Jan 4 2010, 02:22 PM
That's my point, CC says one thing in an interview about her character Carly, then Carly does the exact opposite of what CC said. Just like her intervew about Carly not coming back to be with Bo, then her character Carly goes full speed ahead with Bo. Hello, just what does CC think that her character Carly is doing by playing this little innocent act with Bo. I don't believe her.
Carly didn't come back with romantic intentions for Bo. I think that was made clear from the start. She had murdered Lawrence and she needed Bo's help because his minions were after her.

Of course, over time her old feelings for him have begun to resurface (and perhaps vice-versa?) but to suggest that Crystal was lying when she said that Carly wasn't returning to Salem to break up Bo and Hope's marriage is just silly. I do think that the writing for this story leaves alot to be desired, but one thing I've really enjoyed is that Carly isn't obsessed with Bo and she isn't actively trying to win him back. Yes, things are happening, but the fallout isn't at all what Carly expected and hoped to happen when she stuck that knife in Lawrence's gut.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

duckie
Member Avatar

DOOL1965
There were other characters that they could have brought back that would have made more sense than having CC/Carly to return in the first place. Maybe, they should think of how the current and longtime fans are going to react before they write a sl like this.
I'm both a current and long-time fan who has never been a Bo/Hope fan. I welcome a Bo/Carly pairing, just as I did the first time CC was on the show. Does my opinion matter? Or do only the opinions of those current and long-time fans who are fans of the Bo/Hope pairing matter?

I think you've made it clear that you don't like CC or her character. I see no reason to keep beating the dead horse in this thread. I happen to find CC to be a compelling actress, both as Carly and in her previous role of Olivia on GL. But not everyone has to agree on that, and obviously, you don't.

She was chosen as Entertainer of the Year based on criteria established by Nelson, who made the award. You don't agree with the award. That's fine. I think it's time to move on.

Alana
Member Avatar

Blazin_Blue
Jan 4 2010, 01:42 PM
DOOL1965
Jan 4 2010, 01:02 PM
My only question is how did CC get Entertainer of the Year in the first place? Maybe, she is an ok actress, but to get this award. No, I don't think so and personally, I don't understand how she got this award. I watched her on GL and I watched her the first time on DOOL. She is just an ok actress. Then, there is this time around on DOOL, I have seen nothing with her.
I'm sorry. She is not Entertainer of the Year material and DOOL could have brought back a much better and more useful character than Carly.
It's not an Actress of the Year award. It's not based on her talent (though I think she deserves more Emmys than the one she has). She got it because of the media frenzy she was in. There's the big Otalia s/l, then GL getting canceled and her going back to Days, then starting Venice. And her fanbase got her even more attention on top of that. She was all over the place in soap news. It was a very busy year for her. She deserves it.
ICAM...I am Not going to comment on the Otalia hype (never watched Olivia on GL), the Venice hype (snore) and her coming back to Days...but being a woman I am more than thrilled to see Chrystal taking charge of things. She certainly was the "soap" woman of the year...as you said...all over the place in soap news...in a male dominated world CC is doing great!! And again I am not talking about the Carly character!

MarvinPepper
Member Avatar

Sam09
Jan 4 2010, 09:42 AM
MarvinPepper
Jan 4 2010, 03:03 AM
Sam09
Jan 3 2010, 08:06 PM
hopebrady
Jan 3 2010, 07:41 PM

Quoting limited to 4 levels deepprime
I don't know if you are referring to me. I was responding to the reasons why there is no actor bashing allowed on SC, a board owned by SONY. Whether or not I agree with actor bashing is moot. Obviously as one can see in this thread some are OK with it. Other people are not. But on a privately owned board, the owner decides what is allowed and not allowed. SONY does not want actor bashing. I don't believe most actors allow it on their bbs....though at one time it happened before actors knew how to be more strict about it, or hired people to monitor. However, we all know there are bbs where actors are trashed.......private bbs not affiliated with or owned by the actor.
Actually, in your post you said: "I guarantee if you go chat with some KA fans on their private chat bbs, you would see personal trashing of other actors is allowed." And I suspect that this is the comment that hopebrady is responding to. You did actually single out KA fans in your post and made no mention of other fanbases. I have seen boards from other fanbases where Kristian (the actress, not "Hope" the character) has been mercilessly trashed and personally attacked by people on those boards in a very vicious and spiteful way, some of which have very familiar people posting on them. However no mention is ever made of these boards or fanbases. Just because someone doesn't like a character and has an opinion about that character, doesn't automatically translate that they are bashing an actor. And just because Hope fans defend Hope the character, doesn't mean they hate Crystal the actress. Some people don't seem to be able to distinguish between the character and the actor. Suspecting people are bashing an actor or assuming people are bashing an actor is a lot different from it actually happening.
Whatever. It has been implied here and elsewhere that KA fans never trash any actor. It has been implied that KA has been unfairly trashed because of Hope. Not going to do a dance of going through every post and every response to prove KA fans were not singled out. Anyone on the BBs knows what happens. NO FAN BASE is innocent and that's the truth. And on private bbs I have read fans of many actors trashing their favorite's rival, i.e. the actor portraying the rival. From DH fans trashing LK, to KA fans trashing the Billie actors, to CC fans trashing KA, to KA fans trashing CC.

But the point you are obviously missing was that in private bbs it can and will happen. On the boards owned by SONY, they are strict about not allowing it. The comment to which I was responding was about "what's the big deal about not allowing actor trashing." The obvious was that there was actor trashing of CC right here on this board from a KA fan so to say KA fans are the exception and do not actor trash is hardly true. Nuff said. Deal with it. KA fans trash actors as much as any other fan group.
Thank you for finally acknowledging that its more than KA fans who "trash" actors. That was my point. Not that KA fans don't ever do it because I don't believe I actually said that anywhere in my post. And it's unfair to tarnish all fans of an actor (any actor) due to the actions of a few. As for the "trashing" part, I don't believe all comments that people claim to be actor "trashing" across boards are in fact that, whatever the fanbase. Some are just people's opinions about an actor's performance or a character. Others though are vicious personal attacks against the actor concerned (and I've seen that in regards to a few actors). There is a difference, in my opinion and that's one of the things I like about the Sony Board, they don't allow it in any form.
Edited by MarvinPepper, Jan 4 2010, 04:02 PM.

Euripedes

DOOL1965
y
lysie
Jan 4 2010, 01:58 PM
Sam09
Jan 2 2010, 08:50 PM
lysie
Jan 2 2010, 08:01 PM

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep
And Lucas told his fans he had a big story coming up. Was BD playing some game?? Oh yea, I remember when Dee told the fans about this great love scene that was going to happen with John and Marlena on the plane crash and lo and behold, it was pathetic. Was Dee lying? You would think she would know what was taped.

Do you seriously blame the actors for the writers decisions? Are you implying the actors purposely mislead their fans? Or only CC does that? I guess I am not getting your point.
I don't think she was playing a game at all, and I'm not blaming anyone for anything. I just don't know why she bothered to say anything since she clearly didn't know where the story was going. I also wasn't the person who brought this up, so I'm not really sure why you're talking to me like this. I think the actors are lied to a lot, and then they do interviews that end up making them look stupid. CC has said multiple times that she was not being brought back to be put with Bo, and from the beginning it seems like that's exactly what she was brought back for and the way was paved for her before she came back. It seems like she would have realized from her own scenes that that's where this was headed. Obviously not. No, I'm not blaming her, but I've been saying for a while that the actors have been doing a less than impressive job in interviews lately. That's not exclusive to CC. You're right. The actors have no writing control...so maybe they need to stop talking about the future of their stories.

(as for Deidre, she did film that scene. It was cut)
That's my point, CC says one thing in an interview about her character Carly, then Carly does the exact opposite of what CC said. Just like her intervew about Carly not coming back to be with Bo, then her character Carly goes full speed ahead with Bo. Hello, just what does CC think that her character Carly is doing by playing this little innocent act with Bo. I don't believe her. The way that she was brought back makes it look like they paved the way for CC/Carly to return and have a sl to be with Bo by separating Bo and Hope before they brought CC/Carly back. This sl should have been better written. The writers, producers, and CC herself knew that there would be alot of fans that would give both CC and her character Carly crap when they brought her back this way, so it is their own fault. If they didn't want it, they should have done it differently. They are getting exactly what they asked for. If, they couldn't have brought CC/Carly back with a sl of her own without having to separate and destroy characters, then CC/Carly should have never been brought back. There were other characters that they could have brought back that would have made more sense than having CC/Carly to return in the first place. Maybe, they should think of how the current and longtime fans are going to react before they write a sl like this.
Crystal has said...in general terms, that Carly was not coming back to break up Bo and Hope. Carly came back for her child. Carly looked at Bo as a friend, and Crystal's extent of her interviews always included something along the lines of "at this point". Even now as Carly's feelings are changing, her daughter is still first on mind.

From what I have read, there are plenty of people that are open to Bo and Carly, new fans and old fans. Crystal played an interloper for 8 of her 10 years on Guiding Light, and at one point recalls being called a "bitch" at the airport. I highly doubt she is so thin-skinned that she'd take any negative comments too seriously. I'm sure TPTB are eating up every reaction that is going on in terms of this story.

Harmony233

Euripedes
Jan 4 2010, 04:30 PM
DOOL1965
y
lysie
Sam09

I don't think she was playing a game at all, and I'm not blaming anyone for anything. I just don't know why she bothered to say anything since she clearly didn't know where the story was going. I also wasn't the person who brought this up, so I'm not really sure why you're talking to me like this. I think the actors are lied to a lot, and then they do interviews that end up making them look stupid. CC has said multiple times that she was not being brought back to be put with Bo, and from the beginning it seems like that's exactly what she was brought back for and the way was paved for her before she came back. It seems like she would have realized from her own scenes that that's where this was headed. Obviously not. No, I'm not blaming her, but I've been saying for a while that the actors have been doing a less than impressive job in interviews lately. That's not exclusive to CC. You're right. The actors have no writing control...so maybe they need to stop talking about the future of their stories.

That's my point, CC says one thing in an interview about her character Carly, then Carly does the exact opposite of what CC said. Just like her intervew about Carly not coming back to be with Bo, then her character Carly goes full speed ahead with Bo. Hello, just what does CC think that her character Carly is doing by playing this little innocent act with Bo. I don't believe her. The way that she was brought back makes it look like they paved the way for CC/Carly to return and have a sl to be with Bo by separating Bo and Hope before they brought CC/Carly back. This sl should have been better written. The writers, producers, and CC herself knew that there would be alot of fans that would give both CC and her character Carly crap when they brought her back this way, so it is their own fault. If they didn't want it, they should have done it differently. They are getting exactly what they asked for. If, they couldn't have brought CC/Carly back with a sl of her own without having to separate and destroy characters, then CC/Carly should have never been brought back. There were other characters that they could have brought back that would have made more sense than having CC/Carly to return in the first place. Maybe, they should think of how the current and longtime fans are going to react before they write a sl like this.
Crystal has said...in general terms, that Carly was not coming back to break up Bo and Hope. Carly came back for her child. Carly looked at Bo as a friend, and Crystal's extent of her interviews always included something along the lines of "at this point". Even now as Carly's feelings are changing, her daughter is still first on mind.

From what I have read, there are plenty of people that are open to Bo and Carly, new fans and old fans. Crystal played an interloper for 8 of her 10 years on Guiding Light, and at one point recalls being called a "bitch" at the airport. I highly doubt she is so thin-skinned that she'd take any negative comments too seriously. I'm sure TPTB are eating up every reaction that is going on in terms of this story.
Interestingly enough I think CC reads the SC days board.I know she used to read the GL message boards.

karmakatch63

lysie
Sam09
lysie
Sam09
Jan 2 2010, 01:29 PM

Of course she doesn't, but you'd think she'd know what her story is. So far everything she has said has happened the opposite of how she's told us, IMO. I don't care. I don't dislike her, and I don't dislike the character. She's not my favorite, but I'm not paying attention to anything she says about the storylines anymore, lol.
And Lucas told his fans he had a big story coming up. Was BD playing some game?? Oh yea, I remember when Dee told the fans about this great love scene that was going to happen with John and Marlena on the plane crash and lo and behold, it was pathetic. Was Dee lying? You would think she would know what was taped.

Do you seriously blame the actors for the writers decisions? Are you implying the actors purposely mislead their fans? Or only CC does that? I guess I am not getting your point.

Yes, I heard the scene DH talked about was cut. All I have is her word. Should I assume she was telling the truth or just appeasing a fan base and getting them all excited. I assumed it was the truth. I assume also that Crysta, Bryan etc are all relating what's been spun to them. Why assume one actor is being duped but the others are just being stupid???? Or being manipulated?
Why take the word of one actor but not another?

lysie
Member Avatar

Sam09
Jan 4 2010, 07:57 PM
lysie
Sam09
lysie

Yes, I heard the scene DH talked about was cut. All I have is her word. Should I assume she was telling the truth or just appeasing a fan base and getting them all excited. I assumed it was the truth. I assume also that Crysta, Bryan etc are all relating what's been spun to them. Why assume one actor is being duped but the others are just being stupid???? Or being manipulated?
Why take the word of one actor but not another?
I'm not assuming that. I just said I wasn't going to pay attention to what she says about storylines. I didn't say I wouldn't pay attention to her, but I would take what every other actor says as absolute truth. I've been consistently not believing the actors for quite some time now.

Kenny
Member Avatar

Alana
Jan 4 2010, 03:41 PM
I am Not going to comment on the Otalia hype (never watched Olivia on GL), the Venice hype (snore) and her coming back to Days...but being a woman I am more than thrilled to see Chrystal taking charge of things.
Me too.

Granted, she hasn't done anything since returning to Days that has really blown me away (although she is better on a day-to-day basis than the almighty Ali Sweeney) but I still find myself engaged in every scene she's in. Sometimes, it isn't necessarily about the acting or "being better than all the rest." It's just about having that certain "it" factor that makes people want to watch you no matter what you're doing. For me, the four actresses who do that for me on Days are Lauren Koslow, Louise Sorel, Crystal Chappell and Arianne Zucker (to a degree).

I think that's the same reason many people adored Kirsten Storms as Belle despite her lack of acting abilities. For whatever reason, she just had that certain something that made younger viewers in particular want to watch. People like me can ask all day long, "My God, how could you enjoy her? She was a terrible actress!" But at the end of the day, it's less about the acting than it is about the "it" factor. For some people, Kirsten had it -- and so does Crystal Chappell. I think that explains the hype and the fandom, even though so far she hasn't done much as Carly that really screams "Emmy."

4everccfan

Kenny
Jan 9 2010, 09:46 PM
Alana
Jan 4 2010, 03:41 PM
I am Not going to comment on the Otalia hype (never watched Olivia on GL), the Venice hype (snore) and her coming back to Days...but being a woman I am more than thrilled to see Chrystal taking charge of things.
Me too.

Granted, she hasn't done anything since returning to Days that has really blown me away (although she is better on a day-to-day basis than the almighty Ali Sweeney) but I still find myself engaged in every scene she's in. Sometimes, it isn't necessarily about the acting or "being better than all the rest." It's just about having that certain "it" factor that makes people want to watch you no matter what you're doing. For me, the four actresses who do that for me on Days are Lauren Koslow, Louise Sorel, Crystal Chappell and Arianne Zucker (to a degree).

I think that's the same reason many people adored Kirsten Storms as Belle despite her lack of acting abilities. For whatever reason, she just had that certain something that made younger viewers in particular want to watch. People like me can ask all day long, "My God, how could you enjoy her? She was a terrible actress!" But at the end of the day, it's less about the acting than it is about the "it" factor. For some people, Kirsten had it -- and so does Crystal Chappell. I think that explains the hype and the fandom, even though so far she hasn't done much as Carly that really screams "Emmy."
Thanks! Kenny for this post... CC has that "it" factor.

Kenny
Member Avatar

4everccfan
Jan 10 2010, 10:14 PM
Thanks! Kenny for this post...
You're welcome!

I do love Crystal and I certainly enjoy Carly, but the writing just hasn't been strong enough for Crystal to really show off her chops just yet. Given this character's difficult circumstances, there are so many things they could explore with her that haven't been touched on yet. I love the idea of her being claustrophobic and I hope the writers showcase that more in the future -- in longer scenes. I would also like for them to explore how domestic violence and being held prisoner by Lawrence for so long has affected her, because so far that hasn't really been showcased. For a woman who experienced what she experienced with Lawrence for all those years, I might expect her to wince when a man comes too close to her or shudder when someone walks past her wearing the same cologne Lawrence wore. Things like that would be interesting to see.

So far, all the focus is on Carly's feelings for Bo and trying to keep Melanie/Mia safe from Vivian, but every once in a while it would be nice to take a break from the plot and just explore who Carly is as a person. We need to see who she is, who she was, how she's changed and why, etc. Crystal is more than capable of handling it, so I hope the writers give her some dimensional stuff to play soon rather than catering to the lowest common denominator of viewers all the time. I mean, the audience is smart. We can handle well-written layered material.

Harmony233

Kenny
Jan 11 2010, 12:59 AM
4everccfan
Jan 10 2010, 10:14 PM
Thanks! Kenny for this post...
You're welcome!

I do love Crystal and I certainly enjoy Carly, but the writing just hasn't been strong enough for Crystal to really show off her chops just yet. Given this character's difficult circumstances, there are so many things they could explore with her that haven't been touched on yet. I love the idea of her being claustrophobic and I hope the writers showcase that more in the future -- in longer scenes. I would also like for them to explore how domestic violence and being held prisoner by Lawrence for so long has affected her, because so far that hasn't really been showcased. For a woman who experienced what she experienced with Lawrence for all those years, I might expect her to wince when a man comes too close to her or shudder when someone walks past her wearing the same cologne Lawrence wore. Things like that would be interesting to see.

So far, all the focus is on Carly's feelings for Bo and trying to keep Melanie/Mia safe from Vivian, but every once in a while it would be nice to take a break from the plot and just explore who Carly is as a person. We need to see who she is, who she was, how she's changed and why, etc. Crystal is more than capable of handling it, so I hope the writers give her some dimensional stuff to play soon rather than catering to the lowest common denominator of viewers all the time. I mean, the audience is smart. We can handle well-written layered material.
IA I have always wanted them to divulge in the abuse she suffered by Lawrence.Actually I wish that they would have went into that before Carly was in love with Bo again.I don't know but the other day when she called Lawrence a violent bastard and told Bo that she wasn't the same person after what Vivian and Lawrence did to her.I was hoping that would lead to something.

Liz<3Days
Member Avatar

I think CC is watchable even though I hate her SL so far. If they hadnt brought in LS, then it would have been a total bust. LS is another watchable actress.

IA w/the Kristen Storms analogy....I have watched GH and KS does stand out in scenes. She has improved a lot (but she also gets to have better writers and a front burner SL. She's GH mini'diva!)

McMarley
Member Avatar

Quote:

Being a woman, I cringe when by taking charge, Crystal has to bribe her fanbase by telling them she will pose in her panties just so that they buy a certain amount of underwear. I cringe when she later does it and it is a half ass pic where she looks stoned out of her mind (not saying she was stoned, she just looked stoned)
I cringe when by taking charge, she has to call herself a dirty whore (in a flirty manner, of course what ever that means :shame: ) and act like a boozed up sorority chick on twitter.

I always used to respect CC for her talent and her intelligence but I'm beginning to wonder, is this the real Chappell or is she just putting on a show? Either way, I don't like this Chappell.

DOOL1965

McMarley
Jan 11 2010, 06:15 PM
Quote:

Being a woman, I cringe when by taking charge, Crystal has to bribe her fanbase by telling them she will pose in her panties just so that they buy a certain amount of underwear. I cringe when she later does it and it is a half ass pic where she looks stoned out of her mind (not saying she was stoned, she just looked stoned)
I cringe when by taking charge, she has to call herself a dirty whore (in a flirty manner, of course what ever that means :shame: ) and act like a boozed up sorority chick on twitter.

I always used to respect CC for her talent and her intelligence but I'm beginning to wonder, is this the real Chappell or is she just putting on a show? Either way, I don't like this Chappell.
Very well said, McMarley. While I am beginning to wonder the same thing, I am also starting to think that this just may be the real CC that we have been seeing lately and that what we use to see was the put on.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply