Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Y&R: Infamous "Spit Take" with Rowell and Stafford
Topic Started: Dec 30 2009, 03:47 AM (3,204 Views)
Kenny
Member Avatar

Skip to 1:25.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

King
Member Avatar

What is the story behind this?

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

I still think it made the scene and someone's being a little overdramatic.

Grandpa Hughes
Member Avatar
WANDERING Minstrel!

DrewHamilton
Jan 6 2010, 03:41 PM
You know, I had no idea which scene VR was referring to when she did that interview! I remember being squarely on her side! Someone called it an "acting choice" on MS's part and I remember posting that if someone spat in MY face, their next "choice" would be which ER to be rushed to! However, seeing the scene and that it was the classic "spit take" and that not a DROP appeared to touch VR's face, I have to agree with you! I love my Dru and miss her but La Rowell's interpretation DOES seem a bit over dramatic!

Grandpa Hughes
Member Avatar
WANDERING Minstrel!

Grandpa Hughes
Jan 6 2010, 03:50 PM
DrewHamilton
Jan 6 2010, 03:41 PM
You know, I had no idea which scene VR was referring to when she did that interview! I remember being squarely on her side! Someone called it an "acting choice" on MS's part and I remember posting that if someone spat in MY face, their next "choice" would be which ER to be rushed to! However, seeing the scene and that it was the classic "spit take" and that not a DROP appeared to touch VR's face, I have to agree with you! I love my Dru and miss her but La Rowell's interpretation DOES seem a bit over dramatic!
I needed to clarify that Victoria Rowell's interpretation of the EVENT was over dramatic! I love her acting and the nuances she gave to the complex character of Drucilla! At least until LML destroyed her!

DeeDee
RIP GL

Grandpa Hughes
Jan 6 2010, 04:14 PM
I needed to clarify that Victoria Rowell's interpretation of the EVENT was over dramatic!
If the situation were reversed it wouldn't be "overdramatic".
Edited by DeeDee, Jan 6 2010, 05:08 PM.

Grandpa Hughes
Member Avatar
WANDERING Minstrel!

DeeDee
Jan 6 2010, 05:08 PM
Grandpa Hughes
Jan 6 2010, 04:14 PM
I needed to clarify that Victoria Rowell's interpretation of the EVENT was over dramatic!
If the situation were reversed it wouldn't be "overdramatic".
I would post the same thing if Stafford was the one complaining! Victoria stated that Michelle spat in her face! That isn't what I saw!

Mason
Member Avatar

I didn't see what was so traumatizing about it, either. The way that I imagined it in my head based on VR's story was a lot worse than what it actually appeared to be. And before someone subtly accuses me of racism, I would say the same damn thing if the roles between VR and MS were reversed.

DeeDee
RIP GL

The idea that the situation would be treated equally if it were reversed is laughable.

People would be trying to link saliva to every disease possible from AIDS to bubonic plague.

It was inappropriate, uncalled for & in no way "justifiable".
Edited by DeeDee, Jan 6 2010, 06:29 PM.

JDB

It was inappropriate, uncalled for & in no way "justifiable"

-if that wasn't scripted it should have been, it fit the scene and characters perfectly.

DeeDee
RIP GL

It didn't fit the characters.

It was unnecessary & disgusting.
Edited by DeeDee, Jan 6 2010, 06:43 PM.

six
Member Avatar

Mason
Jan 6 2010, 06:09 PM
I didn't see what was so traumatizing about it, either. The way that I imagined it in my head based on VR's story was a lot worse than what it actually appeared to be.
Same here. I was picturing a huge gob flying through the air. It's not something someone would want to be a part of, and I can see where it might've thrown fuel onto an already burning fire, but alone it didn't really require all the hysterics that it got.

DeeDee
RIP GL

Bergman doesn't spit on Braeden.

Grandpa Hughes
Member Avatar
WANDERING Minstrel!

DeeDee
Jan 6 2010, 06:27 PM
The idea that the situation would be treated equally if it were reversed is laughable.

People would be trying to link saliva to every disease possible from AIDS to bubonic plague.

It was inappropriate, uncalled for & in no way "justifiable".
I wrote that it would be treated equally by ME! If I thought there was even a HINT of a doubt inside, I would never have posted what I did! I am a bigger VR fan than I am of MS and I don't get the whole "AIDS to bubonic plague" line! And maybe it WAS inappropriate since Victoria didn't know it was coming but the way she recounted the situation made me expect a lot worse than what was shown in that scene!

Mason
Member Avatar

Grandpa Hughes
Jan 6 2010, 07:08 PM
And maybe it WAS inappropriate since Victoria didn't know it was coming but the way she recounted the situation made me expect a lot worse than what was shown in that scene!
I agree. Stafford should definitely have discussed it with Rowell before going ahead and doing it without asking, but I think Rowell made it into a much bigger ordeal than it needed to be - at least from what I can see. JMO.
Edited by Mason, Jan 6 2010, 07:10 PM.

Grandpa Hughes
Member Avatar
WANDERING Minstrel!

DeeDee
Jan 6 2010, 07:05 PM
Their scenes have never really had a "comic" undertone the way many of Dru and Phyllis's did so it's not really comparable! It looked like the usual business between the women! All of this debate is silly anyway! If VR was upset by it, it's her right! I just thought it would have looked worse and that's why I repeated the "over dramatic" description! If Michelle Stafford had just decided to spit in Victoria Rowell's face, I would be hoping to see her fired!

JDB

DeeDee
Jan 6 2010, 07:05 PM
Didn't they have a fight/scuffle years ago? That could be serious, spit takes not so much to me.

Kenny
Member Avatar

I do think that Rowell made it sound worse than what it was (I was expecting a huge spit gob right in her face) but I also think she had every right to be pissed about it. If Crystal Chappell had done this to Kristian Alfonso (or vice versa) we would never hear the end of it, LoL. Crystal fans would be petitioning to get Kristian fired and Kristian's fans would be petitioning to have Crystal murdered.

I think many people want to brush over this situation with Michelle and Victoria because Victoria's a "diva" and it's automatically assumed that she blows smoke over nothing. But in this case, she did have a right to be pissed. I would've been too. That said, I was expecting something a little more... loogie-ish and "in your face" based on Victoria's description, LoL.

DeeDee
RIP GL

Quote:

I don't get the whole "AIDS to bubonic plague" line! And maybe it WAS inappropriate since Victoria didn't know it was coming but the way she recounted the situation made me expect a lot worse than what was shown in that scene!

A "popular" white actress spits on a "controversial" black actress & it's "part of the scene" or "overdramatized".

Had the roles been reversed it would have been treated as the crime of the century & if the same situation happened between Bergman & Braeden or Tylo & Brown or Park & Peck or Zimmer & Watros it wouldn't be "justified" or "acceptable".

Mason
Member Avatar

I don't think anyone's saying that Rowell doesn't have a right to be pissed. Of course she does, and I don't think anyone's begrudging her of that. I'm just saying that I didn't think the incident was as terrible as Rowell made it sound.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · The Video Vault · Next Topic »
Add Reply