Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member suffering succotash in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Y&R: Infamous "Spit Take" with Rowell and Stafford
Topic Started: Dec 30 2009, 03:47 AM (4,403 Views)
Kenny
Member Avatar

Skip to 1:25.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Kenny
Member Avatar

I do think that Rowell made it sound worse than what it was (I was expecting a huge spit gob right in her face) but I also think she had every right to be pissed about it. If Crystal Chappell had done this to Kristian Alfonso (or vice versa) we would never hear the end of it, LoL. Crystal fans would be petitioning to get Kristian fired and Kristian's fans would be petitioning to have Crystal murdered.

I think many people want to brush over this situation with Michelle and Victoria because Victoria's a "diva" and it's automatically assumed that she blows smoke over nothing. But in this case, she did have a right to be pissed. I would've been too. That said, I was expecting something a little more... loogie-ish and "in your face" based on Victoria's description, LoL.

Kenny
Member Avatar

DeeDee
Jan 6 2010, 07:21 PM
A "popular" white actress spits on a "controversial" black actress & it's "part of the scene" or "overdramatized".

Had the roles been reversed it would have been treated as the crime of the century & if the same situation happened between Bergman & Braeden or Tylo & Brown or Park & Peck or Zimmer & Watros it wouldn't be "justified" or "acceptable".
I'm sure it is looked at differently based on race by some people, but I honestly don't think the color of either actress' skin matters to most of the people in this thread.

Forgive me for speaking for the crowd, but I don't think anyone's saying that Michelle's behavior was justified or acceptable. Many people were just expecting something different based on Victoria's description of the scene. Personally, I was expecting Michelle to actually cough up a loogie and spit it right in Victoria's face. That's what I was imagining based on the way Victoria's described it. I'm not sure why, but that's the image I had in my mind, LoL. That's not to say that what actually transpired was more acceptable, but it doesn't seem quite as grotesque as the image I had in my mind after I heard Victoria's interview.

As for some people thinking it made the scene better, I can understand why they feel that way. We see "spit takes" on various TV shows and movies all the time and they can be funny. Actors just need to inform their scene partners and get their permission beforehand rather than assuming they'll be okay with being given a spit bath in the moment.

Kenny
Member Avatar

DeeDee
Jan 6 2010, 07:37 PM
That's the thing neither the actresses nor the characters were friends so a spit take doesn't between either pair doesn't work as comedic or in character.
Yeah, but I think that's more a matter of opinion re: what makes a "fun" scene than double standards of a "popular" white actress vs. a "controversial" black actress. And you know what they say about opinions...

Kenny
Member Avatar

DeeDee
Jan 6 2010, 07:45 PM
Would Victor or Jack or Nikki or Ashley NOT react & shrug it off if they were spit on even if it was "just a spit take"?
Nope. But I'm not gonna lie -- I would love to see a Davidson/MTS spit take, LoL.

Anyway, would you have been alright with the scene if Dru/Victoria were allowed to react by slapping the shit out of Phyllis/Michelle so she didn't look like such a pushover in the scene? (With the spit take and the slap being scripted, of course)

Kenny
Member Avatar

In a way, I think it made sense for Dru NOT to react physically because, although the spitting was done on purpose by the actress, it was played like an "accident" as a result of Dru's shocking news. Dru almost looked pleased with herself because she was able to get such a reaction out of Phyllis, which I think was what she wanted in the first place (not spit, but a horrified reaction).

If it had been played as if Phyllis was purposely spraying her drink all over Dru's face, then yeah... I'd definitely expect a reaction out of Dru.

Either way, it shouldn't have taken place without Michelle getting permission from Victoria first.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · The Video Vault · Next Topic »
Add Reply