Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member suffering succotash in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Y&R: Infamous "Spit Take" with Rowell and Stafford
Topic Started: Dec 30 2009, 03:47 AM (4,404 Views)
DeeDee
RIP GL

Grandpa Hughes
Jan 6 2010, 04:14 PM
I needed to clarify that Victoria Rowell's interpretation of the EVENT was over dramatic!
If the situation were reversed it wouldn't be "overdramatic".
Edited by DeeDee, Jan 6 2010, 05:08 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

DeeDee
RIP GL

The idea that the situation would be treated equally if it were reversed is laughable.

People would be trying to link saliva to every disease possible from AIDS to bubonic plague.

It was inappropriate, uncalled for & in no way "justifiable".
Edited by DeeDee, Jan 6 2010, 06:29 PM.

DeeDee
RIP GL

It didn't fit the characters.

It was unnecessary & disgusting.
Edited by DeeDee, Jan 6 2010, 06:43 PM.

DeeDee
RIP GL

Bergman doesn't spit on Braeden.

DeeDee
RIP GL

Quote:

I don't get the whole "AIDS to bubonic plague" line! And maybe it WAS inappropriate since Victoria didn't know it was coming but the way she recounted the situation made me expect a lot worse than what was shown in that scene!

A "popular" white actress spits on a "controversial" black actress & it's "part of the scene" or "overdramatized".

Had the roles been reversed it would have been treated as the crime of the century & if the same situation happened between Bergman & Braeden or Tylo & Brown or Park & Peck or Zimmer & Watros it wouldn't be "justified" or "acceptable".

DeeDee
RIP GL

JDB
Jan 6 2010, 07:16 PM
DeeDee
Jan 6 2010, 07:05 PM
Didn't they have a fight/scuffle years ago?
Yep.

But because they are "popular" white males that kind of stuff is treated as no big deal.

If a minority soap actor were to physically fight their cast they would never work in Daytime again.

DeeDee
RIP GL

Mason
Jan 6 2010, 07:23 PM
I don't think anyone's saying that Rowell doesn't have a right to be pissed. Of course she does, and I don't think anyone's begrudging her of that. I'm just saying that I didn't think the incident was as terrible as Rowell made it sound.
The point I'm making is it shouldn't have happened & to acknowledge it shouldn't have happened while saying it wasn't that bad is the same thing as saying that Victoria "deserved" it.

DeeDee
RIP GL

Grandpa Hughes
Jan 6 2010, 07:25 PM
DeeDee
Jan 6 2010, 07:21 PM
Quote:

I don't get the whole "AIDS to bubonic plague" line! And maybe it WAS inappropriate since Victoria didn't know it was coming but the way she recounted the situation made me expect a lot worse than what was shown in that scene!

A "popular" white actress spits on a "controversial" black actress & it's "part of the scene" or "overdramatized".

Had the roles been reversed it would have been treated as the crime of the century & if the same situation happened between Bergman & Braeden or Tylo & Brown or Park & Peck or Zimmer & Watros it wouldn't be "justified" or "acceptable".
VR is every bit as popular as MS in many quarters and the character of Dru is ICONIC! I don't get the racial angle here at all! It's 2010 and so much of that crap is in the past! I think it WOULD be just as controversial if any other actor spit on another, regardless of race!
It would be CONTROVERSIAL but it wouldn't be ACCEPTABLE.

As Kenny said if it was Chappell or another "popular" actor it wouldn't have happened & if it their fans wouldn't say the spit on actor was being overdramatic or try to justify the spitting actor's behavior as anything less than unacceptable.

DeeDee
RIP GL

Grandpa Hughes
Jan 6 2010, 07:27 PM
DeeDee
Jan 6 2010, 07:24 PM
JDB
Jan 6 2010, 07:16 PM
DeeDee
Jan 6 2010, 07:05 PM
Didn't they have a fight/scuffle years ago?
Yep.

But because they are "popular" white males that kind of stuff is treated as no big deal.

If a minority soap actor were to physically fight their cast they would never work in Daytime again.
I totally disagree with that! If KSJ and John Driscoll as an example had a backstage dustup, do you REALLY think a popular actor like St John would be fired over Driscoll?
In a New York minute.

DeeDee
RIP GL

Mason
Jan 6 2010, 07:27 PM
DeeDee
Jan 6 2010, 07:26 PM
Mason
Jan 6 2010, 07:23 PM
I don't think anyone's saying that Rowell doesn't have a right to be pissed. Of course she does, and I don't think anyone's begrudging her of that. I'm just saying that I didn't think the incident was as terrible as Rowell made it sound.
The point I'm making is it shouldn't have happened & to acknowledge it shouldn't have happened while saying it wasn't that bad is the same thing as saying that Victoria "deserved" it.
Oh, please. I never (and would never) say that Victoria deserved it. How you got that from what I said, I have no idea. And I AGREE - it shouldn't have happened, without Victoria's consent.
I'm not saying YOU said it Mason but a lot of implication has been made that Victoria "deserved" it.

None of the other actors who have less than stellar working relationships would do something uncalled for & disgusting like that so why are the minority actors not afforded the same rights?
Edited by DeeDee, Jan 6 2010, 07:34 PM.

DeeDee
RIP GL

Kenny
Jan 6 2010, 07:34 PM
DeeDee
Jan 6 2010, 07:21 PM

As for some people thinking it made the scene better, I can understand why they feel that way. We see "spit takes" on various TV shows and movies all the time and they can be funny. Actors just need to inform their scene partners and get their permission beforehand rather than assuming they'll be okay with being given a spit bath in the moment.
That's the thing neither the actresses nor the characters were friends so a spit take between the characters doesn't work as comedic or in character.

Had Dru randomly spat on Phyllis would Phyllis have no reaction or not do or say anything about it?

No.
Edited by DeeDee, Jan 6 2010, 07:39 PM.

DeeDee
RIP GL

Kenny
Jan 6 2010, 07:40 PM
DeeDee
Jan 6 2010, 07:37 PM
That's the thing neither the actresses nor the characters were friends so a spit take doesn't between either pair doesn't work as comedic or in character.
Yeah, but I think that's more a matter of opinion than double standards of a "popular" white actress vs. a "controversial" black actress. And you know what they say about opinions...
Not really.

Do you see Bergman out of the blue spitting on Braeden or Davidson spitting on Thomas-Scott?

Would Victor or Jack or Nikki or Ashley NOT react & shrug it off if they were spit on even if it was "just a spit take"?

No.
Edited by DeeDee, Jan 6 2010, 07:46 PM.

DeeDee
RIP GL

Quote:

Nope. But I'm not gonna lie -- I would love to see a Davidson/MTS spit take, LoL.

You aren't the only one. lol

Quote:

Anyway, would you have been alright with the scene if Dru/Victoria were allowed to react by slapping the shit out of Phyllis/Michelle so she didn't look like such a pushover in the scene? (With the spit take and the slap being scripted, of course)

Mhm.

The thing is that scene was TOTALLY OOC for them.

Now had the spitting happened with Phyllis & DIANE I still would have thought spitting was uncalled for but it WOULDN'T be OOC.
Edited by DeeDee, Jan 6 2010, 07:58 PM.

DeeDee
RIP GL

Kenny
Jan 6 2010, 08:06 PM
In a way, I think it made sense for Dru NOT to react physically because, although the spitting was done on purpose by the actress, it was played like an "accident" as a result of Dru's shocking news. Dru almost looked pleased with herself because she was able to get such a reaction out of Phyllis, which I think was what she wanted in the first place (not spit, but a horrified reaction).

If it had been played as if Phyllis was purposely spraying her drink all over Dru's face, then yeah... I'd definitely expect a reaction out of Dru.

Either way, it shouldn't have taken place without Michelle getting permission from Victoria first.
It was OOC for Dru NOT to react.

Being spat on is NOT something Dru would accept from anyone especially Phyllis & since it was way OOC for the characters & given the actresses less than stellar relationship it's clear why there were problems.
Edited by DeeDee, Jan 6 2010, 08:13 PM.

DeeDee
RIP GL

Wow.

DeeDee
RIP GL

Daytime
Jan 8 2010, 06:50 PM
I understand that maybe MS should have gotten permission, but honestly I don't see what the big deal was.
Do you see Bergman spitting on Braeden?

DeeDee
RIP GL

[/quote]
Quote:

In a scene like that, I would have no problem with it.

It doesn't matter.

It would NEVER happen.

Quote:

It actually made the scene better.

It doesn't.
Edited by DeeDee, Jan 8 2010, 09:00 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · The Video Vault · Next Topic »
Add Reply