Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOD: Shocking Days death! (Corday interview); Jan 12th issue; Article Summary
Topic Started: Dec 30 2009, 03:48 PM (7,105 Views)
Ellie

Please link to DR.

This week's SOD features interviews with Suzanne Rogers, Kristian Alfonso and Ken Corday.

Maggie has talked Mickey into taking some time off in the new year and going on a cruise with her, because Doug and Julie are always going on cruises and saying how wonderful they are. Mickey is upstairs packing, and Maggie goes upstairs to begin her packing. She finds Mickey on the floor.

Suzanne Rogers explains, "There is no real 'my finding him dead on the floor', because they couldn't use John Clarke. Someone came in and they put a sheet over the person to take them out. That's kind of what you use to play off of when you're playing scenes like this, so it was a lot of soul-searching on my part to get to that place." Rogers continues that the pictures of John around the set helped her, because she remembered when the pictures were taken. She says the flashbacks will feature John Clarke, and "even the fans who don't know about Mickey and Maggie together will see enough flashbacks to get a sense of who they were and enjoy it."

Maggie goes downstairs, and Hope comes over because she brought Mickey a present. Hope's going on about the present, when she sees that Maggie's not responding to what she's saying. Maggie tells Hope what's happened, and Hope goes to make arrangements and break the news to Alice. SOD says that Hope "will also turn to Bo in the aftermath".

Ken Corday discusses the reasons for making this "very difficult decision". He says that the show was "never really successful" in recasting Mickey. "When an actor wears a character for almost 40 years, it's impossible to recast them." He continues that because of this, the show had Maggie just talking about Mickey, but "after a while, that got tired". Corday says that he and Dena Higley discussed this, "and she said, 'You know, Suzanne right now is commanding a lot of airtime. I'd like to tell a bigger story with her.' And I said, 'Wow, that's awfully big.'" Corday says that the decision was made to have Maggie try to deal with the grief of losing Mickey, "and in dealing with that grief, kick off another story with her".

Suzanne Rogers then discusses her feelings about the story. She says that Gary Tomlin was the one who informed her that Mickey would be killed off, and she says she was "shocked". She continues, "Since I first came on the show, there was Mickey and Maggie... I said, 'Well, we haven't seen him in a long time, guess you have to tie things up', so this is the route they chose to go." Rogers says it's sad that "it's another Horton gone... it's going to be heartbreaking."

Kristian Alfonso gives her reaction to the story: "It's the end of an era. It's so sad; it's sad for Kristian as well, because it's over." She praises Suzanne's acting, and she says the scenes were "beautifully written". "But of course, it's difficult."

Suzanne Rogers called John Clarke to tell him. She says it was Thanksgiving when she called, and she had a nice conversation with Clarke and his wife Patty. He told her that he'd already heard about it, because someone had sent them the scripts. Rogers says she didn't want to be the one to tell Clarke, but she felt he should know before it aired. Rogers says John Clarke seemed "fine" with it, and she told him she hopes she can do it justice. Corday praises Rogers for this, and he says it shows "how deeply concerned this actress is, not just for herself, but for castmates who have gone from the show."

Corday concludes, "It was well thought out, and in the end a lot of drama comes out of these shows." He says that Maggie "has now become the matriarch of the show", and Suzanne is such a capable actress, but she "had been without story for many decades", so it's good to see her in story again. And regarding the Hortons, "The Hortons are not gone. I think we're going to see a whole new branch on that tree."
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Thanks for sharing this story, Ellie! This is going to be some powerful stuff.

Eric83
Member Avatar
"Relax nobody's having sex.... at least not yet"

Suzanne Rogers is going to do so good!

EDIT: I hope what Corday said about a whole new branch on the Horton Family tree isn't just talk. I'm all up for a J&J return with Abby. It would be perfect with all of this Hope/Bo/Carly stuff.
Edited by Eric83, Dec 30 2009, 03:58 PM.

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

I agree Lady, This will be some amazing stuff from Rogers.

If they sent Clarke the scripts that would mean they wanted him back for the story. I wish he would have come out of retirement for one episode. That would have been even more powerful.
Edited by Rick, Dec 30 2009, 03:56 PM.

littlemony
Member Avatar
Queen of the Underground

Thanks for posting this Ellie! This is the upcoming storyline I am most excited about for sure! I love Suzanne. She will rock this.

dc cubs
Member Avatar

Sounds like it will be a great story for Suzanne. However, I'm concerned that we still have not heard anything about some Hortons returning for Mickey's funeral. My biggest fear about this story was that Days wouldn't do it justice. That could be the case if they don't have any other Hortons returning for this storyline.

Mason
Member Avatar

This sounds so good! I hope it actually plays out as well as it sounds on paper.

Ellie

You're welcome everyone... sounds to me like Suzanne and Kristian weren't thrilled about it (but did their best). Good point Rick, I'm sure they didn't just send him scripts to be friendly. Good for John Clarke for not doing it.

Mason
Member Avatar

dc cubs
Dec 30 2009, 03:57 PM
My biggest fear about this story was that Days wouldn't do it justice. That could be the case if they don't have any other Hortons returning for this storyline.
I agree. We at least need to see Melissa (at the very least).

I also think that not being able to see Alice will leave a major void (moreso than it already does).
Edited by Mason, Dec 30 2009, 04:06 PM.

SocRMum1
Member Avatar
Much prefers sweevil, snarky EJ over Father Figure Fucktard Eejiot.

Thanks so much for this, Ellie.

This is going to be so heartbreaking - but I am looking forward to it. I'm excited to see SR knock this out of the park. And how very classy that she made sure John Clarke knew it was coming.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

dc cubs
Dec 30 2009, 03:57 PM
Sounds like it will be a great story for Suzanne. However, I'm concerned that we still have not heard anything about some Hortons returning for Mickey's funeral. My biggest fear about this story was that Days wouldn't do it justice. That could be the case if they don't have any other Hortons returning for this storyline.
Far be it for me to put any stock in what Corday says but his last comment about there being a "new branch" on the Horton tree seems to mean they have something in mind regarding the Horton's. Whether that means funeral returns, bringing on someone like Sarah Horton, or something else I don't know.

The good news is this seems well thought out. I'm surprised it wasn't Mickey dying in his sleep. He goes upstairs to get their stuff and dies. That is heartbreaking. Suzanne WILL rock.

I already knew Clarke was informed about the decision but I never would've guessed they actually sent him the scripts. That does imply they wanted him to return for maybe an episode or two.

Glad we get flashbacks. I know we get a flashback of Mickey and Maggie tomorrow and it's of the "red shoes."

So far, they are handling it the best they can do. I figured they would. The true test will be how they handle the memorial. There is no way to properly do it given the state of the Horton's but I'm sure they will do their best.

I also don't believe for a minute Higley came up with this. That is probably the crap Tomlin spewed to Corday to get him to sign off LOL. The fact that Tomlin told Suzanne is pretty telling. They should just mention that Higley is an associate head writer and nothing more because that is closer to what she is.

Ellie

ga68153
Dec 30 2009, 03:54 PM
Suzanne Rogers is going to do so good!

EDIT: I hope what Corday said about a whole new branch on the Horton Family tree isn't just talk. I'm all up for a J&J return with Abby. It would be perfect with all of this Hope/Bo/Carly stuff.
SOD implied he was talking about "Lucas and Nathan". So much for that.

Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

This does sound good. The kicking off another stoy part makes it sound like the rumor of Maggie drinking again and a possible accident is probably true.

Thanks, Ellie!

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Quote:

Maggie has talked Mickey into taking some time off in the new year and going on a cruise with her, because Doug and Julie are always going on cruises and saying how wonderful they are. Mickey is upstairs packing, and Maggie goes upstairs to begin her packing. She finds Mickey on the floor.
I like that Doug and Julie convince Maggie to take a cruise with Mickey. I hope we see those scenes. It'll be nice seeing Doug, Julie and Maggie discussing stuff about themselves rather than other family members.

Quote:

Suzanne Rogers explains, "There is no real 'my finding him dead on the floor', because they couldn't use John Clarke. Someone came in and they put a sheet over the person to take them out. That's kind of what you use to play off of when you're playing scenes like this, so it was a lot of soul-searching on my part to get to that place." Rogers continues that the pictures of John around the set helped her, because she remembered when the pictures were taken. She says the flashbacks will feature John Clarke, and "even the fans who don't know about Mickey and Maggie together will see enough flashbacks to get a sense of who they were and enjoy it."
This is how I figured they would do these scenes and I'm fine with it. Clarke can't be there, but at least there have been pictures spread throughout the house, so that's the Mickey we're supposed to be imagining and that's only right. Now flashbacks can be used to showcase the real Mickey and Maggie.

Quote:

Maggie goes downstairs, and Hope comes over because she brought Mickey a present. Hope's going on about the present, when she sees that Maggie's not responding to what she's saying. Maggie tells Hope what's happened, and Hope goes to make arrangements and break the news to Alice. SOD says that Hope "will also turn to Bo in the aftermath".
I believe Mickey's birthday is coming up. I wonder if he dies around his birthday and that's why Hope is bringing a present over. That's really sad if it is around his birthday.

Quote:

Ken Corday discusses the reasons for making this "very difficult decision". He says that the show was "never really successful" in recasting Mickey. "When an actor wears a character for almost 40 years, it's impossible to recast them." He continues that because of this, the show had Maggie just talking about Mickey, but "after a while, that got tired". Corday says that he and Dena Higley discussed this, "and she said, 'You know, Suzanne right now is commanding a lot of airtime. I'd like to tell a bigger story with her.' And I said, 'Wow, that's awfully big.'" Corday says that the decision was made to have Maggie try to deal with the grief of losing Mickey, "and in dealing with that grief, kick off another story with her".
Of course it's nearly impossible to recast a role after 40 years and it should've never been done in the first place. If the show knew that Clarke was thinking about retiring back in '03, then Reilly should've been forced to kill off Mickey rather than Maggie. If it had to do with bringing Bonnie in for Mickey, then he should've simply rewrote the role and had Mimi's tacky FATHER, rather than mother, coming onto the show and pursuing Maggie instead of Mickey.

Color me shocked that Higley's the one that came up with this idea. So I guess she IS still writing story over there. Goes to prove all those that said that she's no longer writing the show and just collecting money as head writer and just sitting there. The very idea was always ridiculous to me.

Quote:

Suzanne Rogers then discusses her feelings about the story. She says that Gary Tomlin was the one who informed her that Mickey would be killed off, and she says she was "shocked". She continues, "Since I first came on the show, there was Mickey and Maggie... I said, 'Well, we haven't seen him in a long time, guess you have to tie things up', so this is the route they chose to go." Rogers says it's sad that "it's another Horton gone... it's going to be heartbreaking."
The Hortons are becoming the Quartermaines of DAYS.

Quote:

Suzanne Rogers called John Clarke to tell him. She says it was Thanksgiving when she called, and she had a nice conversation with Clarke and his wife Patty. He told her that he'd already heard about it, because someone had sent them the scripts. Rogers says she didn't want to be the one to tell Clarke, but she felt he should know before it aired. Rogers says John Clarke seemed "fine" with it, and she told him she hopes she can do it justice. Corday praises Rogers for this, and he says it shows "how deeply concerned this actress is, not just for herself, but for castmates who have gone from the show."
I wonder if the show approached Clarke about possibly returning for this event, and that's why they sent him the scripts. His health concerns probably forbade it though.

Quote:

Corday concludes, "It was well thought out, and in the end a lot of drama comes out of these shows." He says that Maggie "has now become the matriarch of the show", and Suzanne is such a capable actress, but she "had been without story for many decades", so it's good to see her in story again. And regarding the Hortons, "The Hortons are not gone. I think we're going to see a whole new branch on that tree."
This sounds really good, I hope it's as good as it sounds.

Interesting note that Corday ended with, concerning a new branch on the Horton tree coming on. I hope that means Sarah will be cast, as well as maybe other Hortons. If Maggie is the new matriarch of the show, then I feel that she should have Hortons to advise rather than random kids.

Ellie

PhoenixRising05
Dec 30 2009, 04:04 PM
Far be it for me to put any stock in what Corday says but his last comment about there being a "new branch" on the Horton tree seems to mean they have something in mind regarding the Horton's. Whether that means funeral returns, bringing on someone like Sarah Horton, or something else I don't know.
See my other post but I think he's just talking about Nathan and any other new Hortons they come up with. I highly doubt it's returns. (It seems like the author of the SOD article thought the same, though Corday didn't say either way.)

Mason
Member Avatar

DrewHamilton
Dec 30 2009, 04:06 PM
Color me shocked that Higley's the one that came up with this idea.
Eh, I don't buy it, LoL.

Ellie

DrewHamilton
Dec 30 2009, 04:06 PM
I believe Mickey's birthday is coming up. I wonder if he dies around his birthday and that's why Hope is bringing a present over. That's really sad if it is around his birthday.
It said she bought him a star map, so it sounds like that could be for the cruise, though it could be a birthday present as well.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Ellie
Dec 30 2009, 03:59 PM
You're welcome everyone... sounds to me like Suzanne and Kristian weren't thrilled about it (but did their best). Good point Rick, I'm sure they didn't just send him scripts to be friendly. Good for John Clarke for not doing it.
I actually think he would've done it if able. Suzanne reported a few months ago that John Clarke had a stroke. He was doing fine but it's still a stroke.

I don't think anyone wanted to do it, not even Corday. They would've never tried recasting or making him an offscreen character for so long otherwise. I'm sure Kristian and Suzanne agree and understand the direction but it's also sad.

Kenny
Member Avatar

Ellie
Dec 30 2009, 03:48 PM
Pssh! A whole new branch of newly created faux-Hortons, I'm sure.

Anyway, this sounds good. Hopefully it really does lead into a big story for Suzanne Rogers. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks Ellie!

Ellie

PhoenixRising05
Dec 30 2009, 04:10 PM
I don't think anyone wanted to do it, not even Corday. They would've never tried recasting or making him an offscreen character for so long otherwise.
True, good point. They really should have done this during the SSK story.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply