Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOD: Shocking Days death! (Corday interview); Jan 12th issue; Article Summary
Topic Started: Dec 30 2009, 03:48 PM (7,119 Views)
Red Mist
Member Avatar

Rogers is going to do an amazing job. I agree that they have failed to properly recast Mickey. IMO this will be a very meaningful sl. Even if the writers fail, Rogers won't. She can do this and make us all cry. Love me some Maggie.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Eric83
Member Avatar
"Relax nobody's having sex.... at least not yet"

Ellie
Dec 30 2009, 04:13 PM
PhoenixRising05
Dec 30 2009, 04:10 PM
I don't think anyone wanted to do it, not even Corday. They would've never tried recasting or making him an offscreen character for so long otherwise. I'm sure Kristian and Suzanne agree and understand the direction but it's also sad.
True, good point. They really should have done this during the SSK story.
But wouldn't he really be alive, even if he had "died" instead of Maggie? I guess they could have said Mickey really did die or something, but I don't know.
Edited by Eric83, Dec 30 2009, 04:15 PM.

Ellie

ga68153
Dec 30 2009, 04:15 PM
Ellie
PhoenixRising05
I don't think anyone wanted to do it, not even Corday. They would've never tried recasting or making him an offscreen character for so long otherwise. I'm sure Kristian and Suzanne agree and understand the direction but it's also sad.
But wouldn't he really be alive, even if he had "died" instead of Maggie? I guess they could have said Mickey really did die or something, but I don't know.
Yeah I know, I thought of that. Maybe he could have been the only person to stay dead, lol. Either way, at the beginning of the story, they did intend to kill them all, so they should have made the decision to kill Mickey then.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

ga68153
Ellie
PhoenixRising05
Well, they all were supposed to die but Corday balked.

That is Corday's problem. He has no spine. If he did, he would've forced JER to kill Mickey instead of Maggie like Drew suggested. He let JER push him around early on. Corday always does that and it always takes things getting really bad for him to finally take action and the result is always a watered-down mess.

Anyway, I'm not one to throw things out there like this but I will here. Dena Higley had NOTHING to do with this story. That I can say with 100% validity LOL.

Eric83
Member Avatar
"Relax nobody's having sex.... at least not yet"

PhoenixRising05
Dec 30 2009, 04:19 PM
ga68153
Ellie
PhoenixRising05

That is Corday's problem. He has no spine. If he did, he would've forced JER to kill Mickey instead of Maggie like Drew suggested. He let JER push him around early on. Corday always does that and it always takes things getting really bad for him to finally take action and the result is always a watered-down mess.

Anyway, I'm not one to throw things out there like this but I will here. Dena Higley had NOTHING to do with this story. That I can say with 100% validity LOL.
This isn't the thread to discuss the SSK story, but I was debating my friend who also watches DAYS. I said Doug and Alice were killed off after they decided to bring everyone back, has that ever been confirmed? I doubt they would have killed Alice for real, and she was never taken off contract. I took that "death" as nothing more than shock value.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

ga68153
Dec 30 2009, 04:23 PM
PhoenixRising05
Dec 30 2009, 04:19 PM
ga68153
Ellie

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep

This isn't the thread to discuss the SSK story, but I was debating my friend who also watches DAYS. I said Doug and Alice were killed off after they decided to bring everyone back, has that ever been confirmed? I doubt they would have killed Alice for real, and she was never taken off contract. I took that "death" as nothing more than shock value.
It was never confirmed publicly but there is no way Doug or Alice would've been "killed" if they hadn't decided by then to bring them all back. Corday promised Bill and Susan Hayes that neither would be killed off and literally two weeks later we got word Doug was next. Corday may be a liar and an idiot but come on. He would also never do that to Frances Reid and Frances admitted she knew she wouldn't really be dead and that Corday discussed this all with her prior to the material.

Liz<3Days
Member Avatar

Well, this sounds great! I love the Hortons and am glad that they finally addressed the Mickey being in the next room issue!

I wonder if they did approach Clarke for some scenes or maybe a "ghost" scene where Maggie sees him as such and he tells her to movie on?

I think this idea was GTs and since Dena is the "face" of the writers. Notice that Whitesell never gives interviews. Dena is always discussed as the writer.

I really do wish that the Hortons dont become the Quartermains because thats one of the reasons I stopped watching GH! Killing Alan was the worst mistake they made over there!

Thanks for writing this up!

sungrey

When GL made the dumb, dumb decision to kill off Maureen, the only Reardon seen on screen through the whole process was Bridget. Everyone else was in "the other room" (aka the Bauer living room, which was rarely shown on camera after the 1980s).

I hope Days doesn't do this. If they're going to kill off Mickey, then more Hortons need to come on the show to balance things out. I know Suzanne will knock this out of the park, but I want to see more fallout than just her grieving for a month and then falling for someone the month after. I will be seriously honked off if they go that route (which they probably won't, I know.)

SocRMum1
Member Avatar
Much prefers sweevil, snarky EJ over Father Figure Fucktard Eejiot.

Angie79
Dec 30 2009, 04:06 PM
This does sound good. The kicking off another stoy part makes it sound like the rumor of Maggie drinking again and a possible accident is probably true.

Thanks, Ellie!
I thought the same thing, Angie. It seems to give a bit of weight to that speculation.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

sungrey
Dec 30 2009, 04:29 PM
When GL made the dumb, dumb decision to kill off Maureen, the only Reardon seen on screen through the whole process was Bridget. Everyone else was in "the other room" (aka the Bauer living room, which was rarely shown on camera after the 1980s).
But I'd take that over the usual DAYS thing to do and just say that family members that would NEVER miss events like these, just couldn't make it for whatever reason.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

PhoenixRising05
Dec 30 2009, 04:04 PM

Glad we get flashbacks. I know we get a flashback of Mickey and Maggie tomorrow and it's of the "red shoes."

I'm going to lose it when I see that. I loved that storyline with Marty and Maggie when she was disabled. That was good stuff.

Daysfanatic79
Member Avatar

Phoenix is right. Dena had nothing to do with this. Tomlin and Rogers have known each other foir a long time. He has been her advocate, and she has proven to be worth every assertion he has made on her behalf. A whole new generation of fans have fallen in love with Maggie after a very long break from her presence on screen.

When Corday makes it seem like Dena is doing something, it's simply because he doesn't want his management style called into question. Corday has had countless head writers and producers on payroll who did nothing. He has paid out several contracts to fired writers, and his financial mis-management has led to the massive budget cuts we have seen recentlty. His recklessness with Days money and contracts is epic, and he doesn't want it known that he has another head writer on staff, collecting a hefty salary, while doing NOTHING!

Higley does contribute, but very little. She gives "A woman's point of view" and may voice concerns, but no more at this point. This is a Tomlin/Whitesell production. They have done VERY well in redefining this show, and taking it back to it's core values. I just feel bad that Chris doesn't get more credit, but it will come, in time.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Is a writer's contract like an actor's contract where it can be ended every 13-week cycle? If that's the case, then why hasn't she been fired or demoted or whatever? It's ridiculous that someone else is responsible for what's appearing screen, but Higley gets the praise, or vice-versa. When storylines are bad, Higley shouldn't receive the heat. This is just stupid to me.

Days4Life

ladyofthelake
Dec 30 2009, 04:35 PM
PhoenixRising05
Dec 30 2009, 04:04 PM

Glad we get flashbacks. I know we get a flashback of Mickey and Maggie tomorrow and it's of the "red shoes."

I'm going to lose it when I see that. I loved that storyline with Marty and Maggie when she was disabled. That was good stuff.
That's still to this day one of my all time favorite storylines. Love the red shoes.

Mason
Member Avatar

DrewHamilton
Dec 30 2009, 04:40 PM
Is a writer's contract like an actor's contract where it can be ended every 13-week cycle? If that's the case, then why hasn't she been fired or demoted or whatever? It's ridiculous that someone else is responsible for what's appearing screen, but Higley gets the praise, or vice-versa. When storylines are bad, Higley shouldn't receive the heat. This is just stupid to me.
I'm convinced she has something on Corday, LoL.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

DrewHamilton
Dec 30 2009, 04:33 PM
sungrey
Dec 30 2009, 04:29 PM
But I'd take that over the usual DAYS thing to do and just say that family members that would NEVER miss events like these, just couldn't make it for whatever reason.
I agree.

There is no possible way to deal with this the way it SHOULD be. I would be happy with a few returns though and I would only expect them to go after people who would be easy to bring in right now. Melissa makes the most sense given the Nathan connection. Jennifer and Laura would be nice too. I think those three would be fine since Lisa Trusel, Melissa Reeves, and Jaime Lyn Bauer would most likely be ok with a return like this.

Daysfanatic79
Member Avatar

DrewHamilton
Dec 30 2009, 04:40 PM
Thanks to a very strong guild, writers recieve a more substantial contract than actors. Reilly had money coming in from his Days contract up to his death. He was still being paid as Days head writer years after he was let go. Hogan got the same type of deal, and there are others (Wyman, Langan, etc....) who got paid long after leaving. Their contracts were too generous for a daytime drama. Corday is known for paying well, but after Days fell of a ratings cliff in the early part of this decade, he should've scaled it back.

Corday will not let it seem like Dena has stopped her duties, but everyone knows she's just collecting space.

King
Member Avatar

I adore Rogers. This is going to be must see TV for sure.

Kirk
Member Avatar
Captain Kirk

I don't know why but I think Missy Reeves might be returning to to the show soon.

As for this SL, I can't wait as I adore Suzanne Rogers. I know she will rock this story.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Daysfanatic79
Dec 30 2009, 04:35 PM
Phoenix is right. Dena had nothing to do with this. Tomlin and Rogers have known each other foir a long time. He has been her advocate, and she has proven to be worth every assertion he has made on her behalf. A whole new generation of fans have fallen in love with Maggie after a very long break from her presence on screen.

When Corday makes it seem like Dena is doing something, it's simply because he doesn't want his management style called into question. Corday has had countless head writers and producers on payroll who did nothing. He has paid out several contracts to fired writers, and his financial mis-management has led to the massive budget cuts we have seen recentlty. His recklessness with Days money and contracts is epic, and he doesn't want it known that he has another head writer on staff, collecting a hefty salary, while doing NOTHING!

Higley does contribute, but very little. She gives "A woman's point of view" and may voice concerns, but no more at this point. This is a Tomlin/Whitesell production. They have done VERY well in redefining this show, and taking it back to it's core values. I just feel bad that Chris doesn't get more credit, but it will come, in time.
Exactly.

As to why she isn't fired, Corday likes Higley. That should've been obvious given how he dumped B&C for her and stuck up for her last year. She is like his "mouthpiece" in the writer's room and he trusts her. Tomlin and Whitesell know that and know they will NEVER be able to do what they envisioned if they can't keep Corday away. So, they keep Higley on staff and basically make her a glorified associate head writer. Tomlin and Whitesell control story and they let her have influence when it suits them. Higley goes with it because she knows damn well she won't get another job outside of Days after last year and keeping her keeps Corday from interfering.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply