Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOD: Who does Melanie love?; Jan 12th issue; Article Summary
Topic Started: Dec 30 2009, 05:04 PM (4,757 Views)
ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Halloween Family
Dec 31 2009, 12:23 PM
jane1978
Dec 31 2009, 12:08 PM
Call me optimist or naive but this will be a good story to play. Yeah, some character development is rather rushed so they can make the february deadline, but the conflict they are building now has so much more potential than just Phillip/Steph and Mel/Nathan getting together and living happily ever after. If things go right, soon Mel will be Mrs. Kiriakis thus unavailable for Nathan, Steph will be determined not to loose yet again thus finally taking active steps to stop Mel/Nathan from reunion and Phil will try to help her keep their current respective partners while surprisingly discovering her evil scheming side thus realizing they arenīt so incompatible after all.

Tomlin and Whittesel are showing they know exactly what they are doing yet again because while some scenes and movements are somewhat shaky and doesnīt make perfect sense, itīs the large picture what counts. This story promisses a lot of goodies and Iīm definitely looking forward to the wedding and what comes after it.
I think that's the problem...they are looking at the large picture and not the pieces that it takes to get them there like character development. Without those things people won't give a shit. Look at how many people hated Melanie in the beginning, mainly because she was on too much but they gave her some development and it worked wonders. Chemistry isn't going to be enough to get them to the big picture. IMO, phelony and sathan have fire chemistry but it needs to be fanned. Stephanie and Phillip really didn't seem to have enough to carry them through, it seemed like people are sick of the makeup breakup cycle so why do they think this will work? They really need to put some effort into these characters.
Well said! :hail:
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

jane1978

Halloween Family
Dec 31 2009, 12:23 PM
jane1978
Call me optimist or naive but this will be a good story to play. Yeah, some character development is rather rushed so they can make the february deadline, but the conflict they are building now has so much more potential than just Phillip/Steph and Mel/Nathan getting together and living happily ever after. If things go right, soon Mel will be Mrs. Kiriakis thus unavailable for Nathan, Steph will be determined not to loose yet again thus finally taking active steps to stop Mel/Nathan from reunion and Phil will try to help her keep their current respective partners while surprisingly discovering her evil scheming side thus realizing they arenīt so incompatible after all.

Tomlin and Whittesel are showing they know exactly what they are doing yet again because while some scenes and movements are somewhat shaky and doesnīt make perfect sense, itīs the large picture what counts. This story promisses a lot of goodies and Iīm definitely looking forward to the wedding and what comes after it.
I think that's the problem...they are looking at the large picture and not the pieces that it takes to get them there like character development. Without those things people won't give a shit. Look at how many people hated Melanie in the beginning, mainly because she was on too much but they gave her some development and it worked wonders. Chemistry isn't going to be enough to get them to the big picture. IMO, phelony and sathan have fire chemistry but it needs to be fanned. Stephanie and Phillip really didn't seem to have enough to carry them through, it seemed like people are sick of the makeup breakup cycle so why do they think this will work? They really need to put some effort into these characters.
You might be right, but I honestly donīt know what they would do with Nathan/Mel after that initial "oh my god, they are so cute" period. And the same is true for Steph/Nathan. They are so compatible itīs scarry. Couples needs a conflict and no matter how much people always say how annoyed they are with the conflicted feelings and relationships stuff, itīs the only thing which makes them react, which is especially true for DAYS. Just look how many people here are almost trigger happy to write their little funny remarks as soon as anything about this story is posted. And there are people who want Mel/Nathan, there are people who want Mel/Phillip, there are still some who hope for Steph/Phillip, there are some for Steph/Nathan, and of course there are the hardcore Phloe fans still waiting for some signs for their couple as well. Generally, thatīs exactly what the show hopes for.

Liz<3Days
Member Avatar

I think both Mel and Nathan working in the hospital creates the drama. He could have a patient that he was looking after die. She's maybe struggling with school and being the doc's GF. Maybe they are involved in a wrongful death suit where she doesnt know if he was to blame and that creates tension.

How about the tension of what going to happen to Maggie and her angst?!

Lots of avenues, but like some posters said, its the smaller beats in the story that TPTB lack in the writing. Some "heart" is missing from this story (as well as others.)

jane1978

ladyofthelake
Dec 31 2009, 12:38 PM
jane1978

Are you and Phoenix related? :D You take after one of my favorite songs "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life".
My take on this story is more like the King's "Life's a piece of shit when you look at it".
I HATE what this is doing to Philip!
Whatīs this doing to Phillip? He was always pampered little brat who had no idea what he wants from life. This is nothing new. His obsession with Belle, the reason he went to war, his compettetivness with Brady over Chloe, the jerky way he acted during the shipping war, his quick proposition to Steph and now Mel. Heīs been always impulsive, always believes he finally figured it all out only to screw up in the process again and again.

Thatīs exactly what he is doing right now with Mel. He was so charming and patient when he tried to win her over but the moment she agreed he decided itīs not enough and now is more interested in sticking it to his family and proving something to Steph and showing Nathan who is the man. No wonder he is quickly making her very insecure and longing for the innocent times with Nathan.
Edited by jane1978, Dec 31 2009, 01:25 PM.

Halloween Family
Member Avatar

Liz<3Days
Dec 31 2009, 01:06 PM
I think both Mel and Nathan working in the hospital creates the drama. He could have a patient that he was looking after die. She's maybe struggling with school and being the doc's GF. Maybe they are involved in a wrongful death suit where she doesnt know if he was to blame and that creates tension.

How about the tension of what going to happen to Maggie and her angst?!

Lots of avenues, but like some posters said, its the smaller beats in the story that TPTB lack in the writing. Some "heart" is missing from this story (as well as others.)
Yes! There's tons of stuff but the writers will have to wrack their brain a little more to come up with something original. However, I do think if the characters are developed it will almost write itself. Bringing the characters back to the hospital was such a good move. It ties in so many other characters together. Why do they have to be locked into these endgames? Melanie reminds me of a few classmates where they seem so flighty and uninterested in work but end up being the best patient advocates, risking disciplinary actions, working overtime without people realizing, and being emotionally invested...there's your angst. It's hard for me to think of M&N scenarios, but here you've just listed a few right off the top of your head.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

jane1978
Dec 31 2009, 01:23 PM
ladyofthelake
jane1978

Are you and Phoenix related? :D You take after one of my favorite songs "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life".
My take on this story is more like the King's "Life's a piece of shit when you look at it".
Whatīs this doing to Phillip? He was always pampered little brat who had no idea what he wants from life. This is nothing new. His obsession with Belle, the reason he went to war, his compettetivness with Brady over Chloe, the jerky way he acted during the shipping war, his quick proposition to Steph and now Mel. Heīs been always impulsive, always believes he finally figured it all out only to screw up in the process again and again.

Thatīs exactly what he is doing right now with Mel. He was so charming and patient when he tried to win her over but the moment she agreed he decided itīs not enough and now is more interested in sticking it to his family and proving something to Steph and showing Nathan who is the man. No wonder he is quickly making her very insecure and longing for the innocent times with Nathan.
What's this doing to Philip? Which part do you want: the chasing after girls too young for him, the whole sleezeball attitude, the fact that he's once again not getting a meaty storyline with the corporation and getting involved with older characters? Or the fact that, despite him being a rich boy, he's also an ex-Marine who was seriously injured not once, but twice? Sure, maybe he played skittish with Belle, but she was a little closer to his age and didn't make him appear skeevish. You would THINK that, with some of the situations he's been in, they could have matured him a little.
I get really tired of hearing "this is the way they've always been". In real life, most people get a TINGE of maturity when they go thru life-altering situations. And with Melanie, of all people? Sorry, not buying it.
He was enjoyable when he was a selfish big-wig at Titan. He's enjoyable when he's coming to blows with Victor, Vivian, and Kate. But this skeevishness and whininess, after seeing him help run a corporation not so long ago just doesn't cut it. Even as a maniac chasing Belle and Shawn around, he pulled it off better than this. THAT could be have argued with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.
Or maybe I feel like they dragged JKJ back with promises they had no intention of keeping. THAT'S what I mean. :angry:

jane1978

ladyofthelake
Dec 31 2009, 01:43 PM
jane1978
ladyofthelake
jane1978

What's this doing to Philip? Which part do you want: the chasing after girls too young for him, the whole sleezeball attitude, the fact that he's once again not getting a meaty storyline with the corporation and getting involved with older characters? Or the fact that, despite him being a rich boy, he's also an ex-Marine who was seriously injured not once, but twice? Sure, maybe he played skittish with Belle, but she was a little closer to his age and didn't make him appear skeevish. You would THINK that, with some of the situations he's been in, they could have matured him a little.
I get really tired of hearing "this is the way they've always been". In real life, most people get a TINGE of maturity when they go thru life-altering situations. And with Melanie, of all people? Sorry, not buying it.
He was enjoyable when he was a selfish big-wig at Titan. He's enjoyable when he's coming to blows with Victor, Vivian, and Kate. But this skeevishness and whininess, after seeing him help run a corporation not so long ago just doesn't cut it. Even as a maniac chasing Belle and Shawn around, he pulled it off better than this. THAT could be have argued with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.
Or maybe I feel like they dragged JKJ back with promises they had no intention of keeping. THAT'S what I mean. :angry:
Seriously, I hate this too young girl argument. As if older, rich, good looking guys never had an affairs and/or relationships with good looking young girls. IMO itīs more a rule than exception, just ask almost any model, actress, beauty pageant and a lots and lots of college students who is their boyfriend and how old he is. And itīs not because they are all gold diggers.

And Phillip is involved with older characters a lot. He is interacting with Victor, Vivian, Kate, Maggie. Yes, the focus is on his lovelife, not his work, but thatīs DAYS. Itīs not like we are ever seeing Brady doing any real work either and the only reason we are now seeing EJ is to develop his relationship with Arianna. Work on DAYS has always been just a plot device. Besides, the oldest writing rule says when the story isnīt about love (sex) or death itīs about nothing. Iīm absolutely willing to bet the same people who are cryticisizing now would be first to yawn and say how bored they are if we suddenly had to watch Phillip doing some "real" Titan stuff or scheming to get some new deal. There is no drama in it except Titanīs (fictious) profit shares. Just ask producers why all the work shows on primetime are always either about cops, doctors or lawyers.

slayer2
Member Avatar

Quote:

Seriously, I hate this too young girl argument. As if older, rich, good looking guys never had an affairs and/or relationships with good looking young girls. IMO itīs more a rule than exception, just ask almost any model, actress, beauty pageant and a lots and lots of college students who is their boyfriend and how old he is. And itīs not because they are all gold diggers.

I agree with this, however I also agree that while her being 19 is not a problem nor is it a problem for Philip to be chasing her it IS a problem if he is chasing hopelessly after a 19yr old who clearly wants someone else {as recently as 1week ago apparently} The show is doing a shitty job of making any of these characters look good. Melanie was with Nathan and the challenge appeared to be that she was trying to stifle her feelings for Philip, we had everyone and their mother telling Melanie how crazy she was for Philip and how she was just settling with Nathan. Well now she is finally with her year-long love/obssesion/source of her infatuation and all she can think about is Nathan the guy she was dating for a month and a half and suddenly it's love? The problem with this story is it seems like the writers are just pulling it out of their asses and blatantly obliterating the characters as they do it. For me to believe that Melanie is in love with Nathan {and I sure as hell don't want to}there needs to be some sort of seed initially planted say for example Melanie not fantasizing about Philip while with him, there is no point in them even doing that as recently as last month if they are going to turn around and do the same to Philip with Nathan. It makes Philip come off as desperate and Melanie come off as a petulant, selfish brat who is more concerned with making everyone fall in love with her than actually being with any of these two guys. I can't even bring up Stephanie because SH has been so marginalized in this storyline she is last summer's version of Melanie. Maybe if it didn't seem like the writers had no fucking clue what they were doing people wouldn't be so opposed to this bullshit.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

jane1978
Dec 31 2009, 02:24 PM
ladyofthelake
jane1978
ladyofthelake

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep

And Phillip is involved with older characters a lot. He is interacting with Victor, Vivian, Kate, Maggie. Yes, the focus is on his lovelife, not his work, but thatīs DAYS. Itīs not like we are ever seeing Brady doing any real work either and the only reason we are now seeing EJ is to develop his relationship with Arianna. Work on DAYS has always been just a plot device. Besides, the oldest writing rule says when the story isnīt about love (sex) or death itīs about nothing. Iīm absolutely willing to bet the same people who are cryticisizing now would be first to yawn and say how bored they are if we suddenly had to watch Phillip doing some "real" Titan stuff or scheming to get some new deal. There is no drama in it except Titanīs (fictious) profit shares. Just ask producers why all the work shows on primetime are always either about cops, doctors or lawyers.

The too-young argument is NOT Philip, especially with Melanie. And, he's hardly going thru a mid-life crisis. Sorry, not buying it. Not buying the slow build to a better story down the road. Not buying it at all, and based by a lot of comments on here and other places, there are others who aren't buying it, either. Piss poor introduction. This is out of nowhere. AND, Melanie has been an iffy character as far as viewer embracement (yeah,based on boards), from what I've noticed. And, hey, this is from a woman whose husband is 9 years older.
I'd buy it more if he had just been dumped by Belle or something like that, or if he has just been divorced or dumped by anyone but Stephanie. I can see Stephanie and Melanie fighting over Philip, but I honestly can't see Philip choosing Melanie. And, with Melanie already google-eying Nathan, it's thrusting this whole thing into stupid territory. Not believable. Now, a triangle with Philip, Brady, and Chloe? Believable. Quad with Shawn, Mimi, and Belle? Believable. That love scene with JKJ and Martha Madison was HOT. Love scenes with Melanie? Reminds me too much of Law and Order SVU when the high school teacher is bedding the student. Not enjoyable. She doesn't even have the maturity spunk of a young Jennifer Horton.
So, the argument against the argument against age is what I'M tired of. The actress doesn't work. And it does the character of Philip a disservice. I fear he might soon end up down the Lucas road, where they can't find a good match for him and won't know what to do with him.

Liz<3Days
Member Avatar

Older guy dating younger girl IS stil the exception, NOT the rule. Maybe we've been desensitized by this because of all the tabs and TMZ, but like others said, Phil is not even middle aged?

AS for Melanie, someone else mentioned that she was just getting her footing in being more mature. All this character did was sleep with Eurotrash for money. Now, she was studying to be a nurse, she had a direction and a purpose. But now with Phil and his "stepford wife" mentality, her maturity is stopped. Hey Phil, guess what, woman CAN have a job and do the "wifely" duties too!

As for the whole work argument...lots of people chose the DiMera Kiriakis war as the best SL on DAYS last year. That involved work and business! Nobody's saying that we have to see them clock in and out. But with Titan, DiMera and now Alamain, and not having ONE business SL- is just sad. Every fuckin SL is about babies, kids and stupid teens!

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Liz<3Days
Dec 31 2009, 04:53 PM
Older guy dating younger girl IS stil the exception, NOT the rule. Maybe we've been desensitized by this because of all the tabs and TMZ, but like others said, Phil is not even middle aged?

AS for Melanie, someone else mentioned that she was just getting her footing in being more mature. All this character did was sleep with Eurotrash for money. Now, she was studying to be a nurse, she had a direction and a purpose. But now with Phil and his "stepford wife" mentality, her maturity is stopped. Hey Phil, guess what, woman CAN have a job and do the "wifely" duties too!

As for the whole work argument...lots of people chose the DiMera Kiriakis war as the best SL on DAYS last year. That involved work and business! Nobody's saying that we have to see them clock in and out. But with Titan, DiMera and now Alamain, and not having ONE business SL- is just sad. Every fuckin SL is about babies, kids and stupid teens!
Good points!
By the way, folks, sorry if I came off bitchy. I should stay off boards when I'm fighting a headache. :unsure

jane1978

ladyofthelake
Dec 31 2009, 04:37 PM
jane1978
ladyofthelake
jane1978

The too-young argument is NOT Philip, especially with Melanie. And, he's hardly going thru a mid-life crisis. Sorry, not buying it. Not buying the slow build to a better story down the road. Not buying it at all, and based by a lot of comments on here and other places, there are others who aren't buying it, either. Piss poor introduction. This is out of nowhere. AND, Melanie has been an iffy character as far as viewer embracement (yeah,based on boards), from what I've noticed. And, hey, this is from a woman whose husband is 9 years older.
I'd buy it more if he had just been dumped by Belle or something like that, or if he has just been divorced or dumped by anyone but Stephanie. I can see Stephanie and Melanie fighting over Philip, but I honestly can't see Philip choosing Melanie. And, with Melanie already google-eying Nathan, it's thrusting this whole thing into stupid territory. Not believable. Now, a triangle with Philip, Brady, and Chloe? Believable. Quad with Shawn, Mimi, and Belle? Believable. That love scene with JKJ and Martha Madison was HOT. Love scenes with Melanie? Reminds me too much of Law and Order SVU when the high school teacher is bedding the student. Not enjoyable. She doesn't even have the maturity spunk of a young Jennifer Horton.
So, the argument against the argument against age is what I'M tired of. The actress doesn't work. And it does the character of Philip a disservice. I fear he might soon end up down the Lucas road, where they can't find a good match for him and won't know what to do with him.
Iīm not sure how you can objectively judge what characters work and what not from a bunch mostly the same people posting on all days boards. Itīs not even a percentage of the real audience. As for the Stephanie vs. Melanie argument Phillip never choose Melanie. Sheīs been always the second choice. Heīs got interested in her after Steph brokeup with him (again) and they both realized their relationship is doomed because both are expecting something different and no one is willing to change. Thatīs the whole point.

I quess there are some people who expect some magical change in Phillip and his storylines just because JKJ is 32 in RL, but I honestly doubt there would be any difference in SL if he was in triangle with letīs say Chloe and Dan instead. Of course Iīm not objective because I think JKJ would get wasted having to work with Nadia because IMO she is way bellow his talent and acting range. Molly atleast chalenges him and he has a chance to show some different sides of Phillip and have fun.

Sariah
Member Avatar

ladyofthelake
jane1978
ladyofthelake
jane1978

They have made him a skeevy sleazeball, and as a long-time JKJ fan, it is very painful to watch. Particularly when I know he is capable of so much more. They've made him seem like a total lowlife, and I keep expecting that guy from Dateline: To Catch a Predator to jump out and tell Philip they've caught him.

The ridiculousness started with Morgan, a sorority president still in college (the scenes where he's doing business paperwork and she's asking him how to spell personnel for her homework, blech) - but at least there was a motive behind that one, to keep an eye on her father. Then he randomly moved on to another college co-ed, Stephanie (I remember when she came over to the Kiriakis mansion because they were suddenly such good friends and thinking WTF?) where they trapped the character in a never ending cycle of break-ups and make-ups with a girl obviously too immature to figure out what she wanted - and when that merry-go-round finally ends, BAM, he's marrying Melanie (an even younger girl than the other two!). It makes him look disgusting. If a 30-something businessman was sniffing around my 19-year-old daughter, there would definitely be hell to pay. I don't think they're romantic or fiery. I think they're amazingly mismatched.

Philip doesn't need to be involved with either Stephanie or Melanie. He should be moved away from both girls right away and they should never be allowed to taint him again. Because the Philip I've been loving for years is nothing like what's been described in previous posts. He was capable of growth, change and maturity, and he's proven it time and time again. I mean, he had at least one pairing where he actually wanted to be a better person, and so I hate watching him wallowing in the mire when I know he could do more.

As far as romance goes - I will always want him with Chloe, and as far as emotional trauma/angst goes, I think she is the far better storyline because of all they would have to work through just to be together in the first place. And she's at least the same age as him, which would be oh-so-refreshing right now.

And I've said it before, I am no Phelle fan and never, ever wanted them together, but I would take Belle back in a heartbeat if it meant that Philip would get to be a grown-up. I'd even take a new female character if it meant that Philip could act like an adult. I'd rather see him cougar it up with someone like Carly than to keep being with little immature girls.

The romance isn't doing either character any favors. Melanie comes across like a child wanting whichever toy she's been told she can't have. She's obviously not ready to get married or make any kind of commitment as she continues to waffle back and forth between two different men. And Philip? I think we've already discussed how awful it makes him look. It is ruining him as a character, and IMO, I think Philip should be standing shoulder to shoulder with someone like EJ as a leading younger man on this show. He's just as pretty, just as talented, but he keeps drawing the short end of the storyline stick (okay, admittedly, everyone is getting the short end of the storyline stick, I just happen to think Philip's is worse than most).

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

jane1978
Dec 31 2009, 05:00 PM
ladyofthelake
Dec 31 2009, 04:37 PM
jane1978
ladyofthelake

Iīm not sure how you can objectively judge what characters work and what not from a bunch mostly the same people posting on all days boards. Itīs not even a percentage of the real audience. As for the Stephanie vs. Melanie argument Phillip never choose Melanie. Sheīs been always the second choice. Heīs got interested in her after Steph brokeup with him (again) and they both realized their relationship is doomed because both are expecting something different and no one is willing to change. Thatīs the whole point.

I quess there are some people who expect some magical change in Phillip and his storylines just because JKJ is 32 in RL, but I honestly doubt there would be any difference in SL if he was in triangle with letīs say Chloe and Dan instead. Of course Iīm not objective because I think JKJ would get wasted having to work with Nadia because IMO she is way bellow his talent and acting range. Molly atleast chalenges him and he has a chance to show some different sides of Phillip and have fun.
Re: the board comments: I think my statement made it clear that I understand it's NOT a demographic. I'm not exactly a novice at this, you know. ;) If it didn't, please forgive me.
And who said anything about magical? A 32 year old would probably be making SOME changes, based on past mistakes. Maybe not. If it doesn't, and the character doesn't grow, then it sure as hell isn't making it entertaining for me. And Molly challenges him? I'm sorry, but she's pretty one-tone for me.
For the record, I'm not a Phloe fan, but at least it makes more sense and has a history. If anything, i think they missed the boat by not keeping Martha Madison on for him. But Molly challenges him??? Sorry, but I don't go for baby-talking gum models, and I think she's way out of her element, especially when Louise Sorel gets thrown in the mix more. She's not that strong of an actress, even when perky.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Sariah
Dec 31 2009, 05:06 PM
ladyofthelake
jane1978
ladyofthelake

They have made him a skeevy sleazeball, and as a long-time JKJ fan, it is very painful to watch. Particularly when I know he is capable of so much more. They've made him seem like a total lowlife, and I keep expecting that guy from Dateline: To Catch a Predator to jump out and tell Philip they've caught him.

The ridiculousness started with Morgan, a sorority president still in college (the scenes where he's doing business paperwork and she's asking him how to spell personnel for her homework, blech) - but at least there was a motive behind that one, to keep an eye on her father. Then he randomly moved on to another college co-ed, Stephanie (I remember when she came over to the Kiriakis mansion because they were suddenly such good friends and thinking WTF?) where they trapped the character in a never ending cycle of break-ups and make-ups with a girl obviously too immature to figure out what she wanted - and when that merry-go-round finally ends, BAM, he's marrying Melanie (an even younger girl than the other two!). It makes him look disgusting. If a 30-something businessman was sniffing around my 19-year-old daughter, there would definitely be hell to pay. I don't think they're romantic or fiery. I think they're amazingly mismatched.

Philip doesn't need to be involved with either Stephanie or Melanie. He should be moved away from both girls right away and they should never be allowed to taint him again. Because the Philip I've been loving for years is nothing like what's been described in previous posts. He was capable of growth, change and maturity, and he's proven it time and time again. I mean, he had at least one pairing where he actually wanted to be a better person, and so I hate watching him wallowing in the mire when I know he could do more.

As far as romance goes - I will always want him with Chloe, and as far as emotional trauma/angst goes, I think she is the far better storyline because of all they would have to work through just to be together in the first place. And she's at least the same age as him, which would be oh-so-refreshing right now.

And I've said it before, I am no Phelle fan and never, ever wanted them together, but I would take Belle back in a heartbeat if it meant that Philip would get to be a grown-up. I'd even take a new female character if it meant that Philip could act like an adult. I'd rather see him cougar it up with someone like Carly than to keep being with little immature girls.

The romance isn't doing either character any favors. Melanie comes across like a child wanting whichever toy she's been told she can't have. She's obviously not ready to get married or make any kind of commitment as she continues to waffle back and forth between two different men. And Philip? I think we've already discussed how awful it makes him look. It is ruining him as a character, and IMO, I think Philip should be standing shoulder to shoulder with someone like EJ as a leading younger man on this show. He's just as pretty, just as talented, but he keeps drawing the short end of the storyline stick (okay, admittedly, everyone is getting the short end of the storyline stick, I just happen to think Philip's is worse than most).

:hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: Except I'm the opposite. I want him with Belle, but would take him with Chloe at this point!
Edited by ladyofthelake, Dec 31 2009, 05:11 PM.

Liz<3Days
Member Avatar

Quote:

They've made him seem like a total lowlife, and I keep expecting that guy from Dateline: To Catch a Predator to jump out and tell Philip they've caught him.

OMG...THATS HILARIOUS!

ITA about wasting this character. This was the same character that was is a custody battle w/SHelle, the same character that gave up a baby. The SAME character just last year fighting for control of the Fuels project and fighting for control of Titan w/Brady.

As for MB bringing out the best in JKJ...I have seen the opposite. Its almost if hes laughing inside. PLEASE, this actress is so green with her awkward childish mannerisms that she de-ages the character. Just look at the scenes a couple of days ago with LK and LS, a more competent actress would at least be present in the scene. She could have been yelling and no one would have noticed! Sure, it may be unfair to put her with these caliber of actresses, but when they throw you in the water, you better start paddling! She just keeps sinking!

Mason
Member Avatar

Liz<3Days
Dec 31 2009, 05:26 PM
As for MB bringing out the best in JKJ...I have seen the opposite. Its almost if hes laughing inside. PLEASE, this actress is so green with her awkward childish mannerisms that she de-ages the character. Just look at the scenes a couple of days ago with LK and LS, a more competent actress would at least be present in the scene. She could have been yelling and no one would have noticed! Sure, it may be unfair to put her with these caliber of actresses, but when they throw you in the water, you better start paddling! She just keeps sinking!
I actually thought MB was pretty good in those scenes for what she was supposed to do, LoL.

Totally agree about Phelanie, though. Though I do see some chemistry between JKJ and MB, chemistry alone is not enough for me to want these characters together. I don't care how often 30 year olds go after 19 year olds IRL, I don't believe Philip would be one of those men. And I certainly don't believe he'd be interested in a 19 year old who's acting as immature as Melanie is right now.
Edited by Mason, Dec 31 2009, 05:34 PM.

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

jane1978
Sorry if you hate the young girl argument. Yes, good looking older men have relationships with younger women, but I've not seen anyone ever approve of 30 year olds dating girls who are younger then 20. I realize it still happens, but it's not something that gets ignored. Not by the family, not by the friends, not by society.

Daniel is older than Chloe but that is not an issue because she's not pubescent and has had life experiences with marriage and having a real career. Melanie came on this show as a minor who didn't even finish school. The show pretends that an elitist like Philip would have no problems ignoring the fact his current lover is ignorant in education and is not old enough to buy alcohol.

I will always have issue with men dating GIRLS. It's not something I'm gonna accept and society doesn't like it very much either.

Then you compound the issue that Philip has already been engaged to someone else this year, that he began DATING this year. I never thought it possible to make Philip look more pathetic than his constant Belle obsession even when she chose the uninspiring Shawn over him. But we must give credit to Dena and her writing monkeys. They can take a character who had so much potential and had so far to go, and make him a pathetic loser who prefers girls over women. Though thankfully Max and his niece dating ways are out the door, the show has replaced incest with near pedophilia, and I will never accept it.

But I guess that opinion doesn't count as it's just a "young girl" argument. I don't get into relationships just because the writers tell me to like them, I expect to understand why. It can't be about looks (and that's ignoring the fact Melanie isn't exactly Miss America with her Arial Mermaid hairstyle and weird mouth). I still maintain Melanie needs to be in the teenage generation because SHE'S A TEENAGER. Even Molly Burnett hangs with them in real life. Why wouldn't Melanie?

Sariah
Member Avatar

Liz<3Days

Over at Two Scoops they said watching Philip and Melanie together was a bit like watching Mr. Big dating Polly Pockets. After seeing that mess of an outfit she had on today, I couldn't agree more.

Liz<3Days
Member Avatar

Sariah
Dec 31 2009, 05:54 PM
Liz<3Days

Over at Two Scoops they said watching Philip and Melanie together was a bit like watching Mr. Big dating Polly Pockets. After seeing that mess of an outfit she had on today, I couldn't agree more.
LOL @ Polly Pockets! I thought she STOLE that outfit from Hannah Montana! Maybe she thinks she's marrying on of the Jones Brothers!

I rarely commend TWO Scoops....but they got that comment right!LOL

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Learn More · Sign-up Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply