Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Week of January 4th Promo (Updated with YT version); A death rocks the city of Salem...
Topic Started: Dec 31 2009, 07:50 PM (9,671 Views)
kitkat
Member Avatar

rachel123
Jan 1 2010, 02:36 PM
kitkat
Jan 1 2010, 02:30 PM
Okay, let's see if I just understanding what you wrote.... That EJ brings excitement to the show, hot damn was I right, cool. I agree. His evilness is just what the show is been aching for... Stefano has become watered down and so has Victor. Vivian is a pleasant change though, but where there is evil there has to be good....

The White Knight vs The Black Knight

Both have opposite attributes, meaning EJ has some good, Rafe some bad; however, mostly they are staying true to their roles. I think we will see them both smarten up, Rafe will see EJ more in his true light and EJ will be seen as the smart villian...
Are you kidding Drafe a bad guy? I wish I was glad to see him as different role luis read the brief of luis and Sheridan is a same story wite safe! at the moment people watch because ofKate Stefano Melanie Nathan Philip Victor ej
He's trespassed into Sami's, fled the scene of a murder, stole Nicole's phone, drugged Stefano, he's obnoxious & smug, slightly manhandled Nicole, threatened that lawyer with a gun, and then there is the whole thing about Emily. Not to mention what she found out that could damage his chances at the FBI, my guess is that his sister was a drug dealer, you know they not only investigate you they investigate your whole family. It's like Bo when we met him, he was a good guy, but this is the same guy that is responsible for Steve loosing his eye, because of a major brawl they had. And the story with the woman and the daggar tatoos, oh what was her name?
Edited by kitkat, Jan 1 2010, 02:46 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Miss Rhi
Member Avatar
"If Sami can't find happiness with a Martian, then she can't find happiness with anyone."

Let's stop the fanbase arguing.... :)

If it keeps on we're going to start posting the promo threads where they can't be responded to. The fanbase wars are what have driven members away from here and other places where they occur. They never end well and nobody is ever really a "winner" in them. I mean really have you all that have participated in these wars ever gone back later to read what you posted?

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Liz<3Days
Jan 1 2010, 02:22 PM
ladyofthelake
Jan 1 2010, 02:17 PM
Liz<3Days
Jan 1 2010, 02:15 PM
Can I say how nice it is that they are bringing back at least one Horton (Melissa) for Maggie's SL. I wish they bring back maybe Sarah, for Philip? (Yes, I'm trying to get Phil out of Stephanie or Melanie orbit! LOL)
Someone fill me in again on Sarah Horton? ANYTHING to save Philip!
My brain's a bit bad today..but as I remember her she was the adoptive daughter of Mickey and Maggie. She wasnt a major player back then and she moved with her sister to Nashville.

I figure shes a good character to bring back because A. she's related to Maggie and can have her to go through the grief (instead of toothy Mel or downer Mia) B. TPTB can totally make up her career, backstory in Nashville and C. shes a Horton and we need more Hortons!
Sarah is actually Maggie's biological daughter. Melissa is the daughter Mickey and Maggie adopted when she was a little girl. Sarah was born due to artificial insemination. Neil Curtis is her biological father, but Mickey is known as her dad, even though he never actually adopted her, or at least it's never been mentioned that he does. But she does have the Horton last name.

Sarah would be a great character to bring on right now. I nominate Marcy Rylan (ex-Lizzie, GL) for the role.

Liz<3Days
Member Avatar

DrewHamilton
Jan 1 2010, 03:15 PM
Liz<3Days
ladyofthelake
Liz<3Days
Can I say how nice it is that they are bringing back at least one Horton (Melissa) for Maggie's SL. I wish they bring back maybe Sarah, for Philip? (Yes, I'm trying to get Phil out of Stephanie or Melanie orbit! LOL)
My brain's a bit bad today..but as I remember her she was the adoptive daughter of Mickey and Maggie. She wasnt a major player back then and she moved with her sister to Nashville.

I figure shes a good character to bring back because A. she's related to Maggie and can have her to go through the grief (instead of toothy Mel or downer Mia) B. TPTB can totally make up her career, backstory in Nashville and C. shes a Horton and we need more Hortons!
Sarah is actually Maggie's biological daughter. Melissa is the daughter Mickey and Maggie adopted when she was a little girl. Sarah was born due to artificial insemination. Neil Curtis is her biological father, but Mickey is known as her dad, even though he never actually adopted her, or at least it's never been mentioned that he does. But she does have the Horton last name.

Sarah would be a great character to bring on right now. I nominate Marcy Rylan (ex-Lizzie, GL) for the role.
Aw, this was before my time, thanks for clearing it up!

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

Can someone PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE put this one on youtube for us Canadian... :frownie:

Miss Rhi
Member Avatar
"If Sami can't find happiness with a Martian, then she can't find happiness with anyone."

Mitchapalooza
Jan 1 2010, 09:12 PM
Can someone PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE put this one on youtube for us Canadian... :frownie:
:tink:

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

DrewHamilton
Jan 1 2010, 03:15 PM
Liz<3Days
ladyofthelake
Liz<3Days

I don't watch GL but isn't the Lizzie character on GL just as young as Melanie or Stephanie (when a lot of people want to see someone more mature with Phillip) and when Sarah Horton left she was around Carrie's age wasn't she? So that would be some pretty huge DeSORASing wouldn't it?

Anyway, about the reveal of EJ as the "mastermind," I wish I could be as jazzed about this as some people but right now I have mixed feelings about it. Mainly, I'm all for EJ getting his brain back and I have no problem with him getting revenge on Sami and Rafe IN ADDITION to Stefano and Nicole and Brady with what he's done here because I think his motive for doing all of this is valid and I don't give a crap what this plot point does to the coupling I root for when Lord knows the schizophrenic writers have done worse and then they gave them two kids after it anyway, but...

I can't help but be annoyed like Sindacco is at the possibility that everything is getting blamed on the big bad DiMeras all over again. Now if they fully flesh out the motive of EJ to be more than just him trying to get back at Sami and Rafe (and using this as some stupid plotpoint for Rafe to play SuperRafe and rescue Sami when twirling-mustached EJ ties her to the railroad tracks) but also recognize this also served to allow him to get one-up on Stefano and pay him back too, that can go away to mitigate that concern for me.

I also just generally can't help but feel jerked around by the writers in this story where one day I'd see EJ doing something that seemed shady, but either because the writers/directors told him to do so or because JS hadn't got his script or info about what was coming ahead yet, he was clearly playing things straight as if EJ had nothing to do with the kidnapping at all (like in the scenes with Nicole and Stefano in jail and when he got the note) and JS was totally selling me on his grief to the point where I started to think he wasn't involved in the Sydnapping.

Some people may enjoy that kind of stuff from the standpoint that it keeps them guessing, but when done so much and when done at this point in such a long-ass saga to me it just come across like wishy-washy story. And I think wishy-washyness has been a problem with the writers of late. To me how they are showing EJ annoys me just as much as how they are writing Melanie where she can be dryhumping Nathan one day and fantasizing about Phillip and yet she finally lands Phillip several weeks later and then she's suddenly still hung up on Nathan. Wishy-washy story is annoying.

But at least in the case of Melanie, she's a young girl so it at least halfway makes sense for her to act wishy-washy. But EJ? I mean... I have no problem with EJ getting revenge but as an EJ fan I feel cheated if I don't get a single scene of him getting to ENJOY his revenge.

AidanGreensFan

EJ? Why am I not surprised? DH can't write a convincing simple sentence, let alone a compelling twist. A Dimera did it? SHOCKING!!!!!!!! I think I will literally PASS OUT from the UNLIKELY act of a Dimera being behind a kidnapping in SALEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick someone - get the smelling salts, I'm going down.. THe surprise of it all - it's just too much....

GMAFB! This is crap - utter crap. Sure it's nice to see EJ with a brain return, but this is just predictable, boring and OH so expected.

daisy132

I could be very wrong, but I think there is more to the twist. I think Tony is involved - he's not dead. EJ, Tony and Anna, all working together for both common, and personal reasons. Tony gets revenge on Stephano and Nicole, and he EJ team up to take over the Dimera empire to rule it their way. Anna is helping her husband, and EJ gets his daughter and gets back to the people who hurt him. Now to me, THAT would be brilliant.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Okay, I'm chiming in here late to give a little more info on the backgrounds of Melissa & Sarah. Melissa is the biological daughter of Linda Patterson Phillips & Jim Phillips, conceived before Linda & Jim were married. Linda was Mickey's secretary and they had an affair while Mickey was married to Laura (Mickey wasn't exactly the greatest of husbands back in the day). Linda came up pregnant and lied to Mickey that he was the baby's father (even though she knew it was Jim's baby). Laura found out about the affair and baby (or Mickey told her, I'm not sure), but knew that Mickey couldn't be the father because she knew he was sterile (a secret known only to her, Bill, & Tom at the time, but unknown to Mickey). Laura couldn't say a word to Mickey about Linda's lie because it would expose the truth that Mickey wasn't the biological father of their child Mike (bio Dad was really Bill due to an instance where he "forced himself on her" during a drunken fit) and everyone was trying to spare Mickey the truth. When baby Melissa was born, Mickey believed for quite some time that she really was his daughter (much the same way he still regards Mike as his son and vice versa). The truth eventually came out, Mickey had a nervous breakdown (yadda yadda) and Linda eventually married Jim. Some time later, Jim died (I think he died, at least) and Linda came back into the picture and attempted to use Melissa to separate Mickey & Maggie. Farmgirl Maggie felt inferior around glamorous Linda and Laura, so Julie took Maggie for a make over. Linda eventually gave up on Mickey and dated his older brother Tommy for a while before marrying the wealthy Bob Anderson (who just happened to be Julie's ex-husband). After the marriage, Bob adopted Melissa (hence her best known name "Melissa Anderson"). Bob later divorced Linda, but then died of a heart attack, leaving his estate & Anderson Manufacturing to daughter Mary Anderson and adopted daughter Melissa. Mary was later one of the victims of the Salem Strangler. Linda left town and Melissa went to boarding school from where she later ran away and back to Salem. Apparently, Linda was quite neglectful of Melissa and Mickey & Maggie took legal guardianship of her. Linda later came back to town as Madam X, part of organized crime. Melissa fell in love with gang member Pete Jannings and she and Pete married in a double ceremony with Mickey & Maggie who were remarrying after a period of separation. Melissa wanted to be a dancer. She and Pete didn't work out and they got divorced and he left town. Melissa then was romanced by Jack Devereaux who was attempting to use her to win political favor (since he was running against Mickey). Melissa's crush on Jack had started while he was married to Kayla and when Kayla ended up poisoned, Melissa was suspected (wrongly) of trying to kill her. Jack & Melissa almost married, but she found out the truth about him and left him at the altar and left Salem. When she returned, she was a singer and started a romance with Emilio Rimerez (who had also romanced Jennifer), but ended up accidentally killing him by pushing him out a window. Melissa then left town to move to Nashville to pursue a music career. She came back for someone's funeral (Tom's?) or another event and it was written that she'd married and was pregnant (to accomodate Lisa Trusel's own pregnancy at the time), but nothing else was ever made of it. When Nathan arrived and it was explained that he was Melissa's child, it's assumed he's the baby Melissa was carrying during that return visit. Melissa's husband has never been named. Also, to the best of my knowledge, she's never gone by the name Horton. I still haven't figured out exactly why Nathan uses the name "Horton".

Sarah is the result of Maggie's desire to give birth to a child. To accomplish this, Maggie entered the surrogate mother program at the hospital, which Neil Curtis was directing. Maggie became pregnant and it was later revealed that she was carrying the child of Dr. Evan Wyland (who just so happened to be on Stefano's payroll). Maggie decided that she wanted to keep the baby and Evan agreed (I'm not exactly sure why. My memory's a little fuzzy on this one). Evan later died. Maggie gave birth to Sarah and, since she was married to Mickey at the time, he was deemed her legal father. Although he never legally adopted Sarah, I don't think it matters because I'm sure his name would be on the birth certificate as "father". Sarah was later SORASed to a teenager (roughly Carrie's age since she and Carrie were protrayed as best friends) and it was revealed that Sarah's biological father was really Neil Curtis and not Evan Wyland (because Neil switched the samples). This caused problems for Mickey & Maggie and they almost broke up and Neil romanced Maggie. Everything righted itself and Sarah left town with Melissa to move to Nashville and hasn't been seen since. Ideally, Sarah would probably be in her mid-30s now. She's at least a couple of years older than Sami. In real world time, Sarah was born onscreen in 1981. Hmmm... Maybe Sarah has a past with Rafe (not that I'd wish him on her, but it might make Sami jealous and mean...)

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Matt
Jan 2 2010, 02:11 AM
Okay, I'm chiming in here late to give a little more info on the backgrounds of Melissa & Sarah. Melissa is the biological daughter of Linda Patterson Phillips & Jim Phillips, conceived before Linda & Jim were married. Linda was Mickey's secretary and they had an affair while Mickey was married to Laura (Mickey wasn't exactly the greatest of husbands back in the day). Linda came up pregnant and lied to Mickey that he was the baby's father (even though she knew it was Jim's baby). Laura found out about the affair and baby (or Mickey told her, I'm not sure), but knew that Mickey couldn't be the father because she knew he was sterile (a secret known only to her, Bill, & Tom at the time, but unknown to Mickey). Laura couldn't say a word to Mickey about Linda's lie because it would expose the truth that Mickey wasn't the biological father of their child Mike (bio Dad was really Bill due to an instance where he "forced himself on her" during a drunken fit) and everyone was trying to spare Mickey the truth. When baby Melissa was born, Mickey believed for quite some time that she really was his daughter (much the same way he still regards Mike as his son and vice versa). The truth eventually came out, Mickey had a nervous breakdown (yadda yadda) and Linda eventually married Jim. Some time later, Jim died (I think he died, at least) and Linda came back into the picture and attempted to use Melissa to separate Mickey & Maggie. Farmgirl Maggie felt inferior around glamorous Linda and Laura, so Julie took Maggie for a make over. Linda eventually gave up on Mickey and dated his older brother Tommy for a while before marrying the wealthy Bob Anderson (who just happened to be Julie's ex-husband). After the marriage, Bob adopted Melissa (hence her best known name "Melissa Anderson"). Bob later divorced Linda, but then died of a heart attack, leaving his estate & Anderson Manufacturing to daughter Mary Anderson and adopted daughter Melissa. Mary was later one of the victims of the Salem Strangler. Linda left town and Melissa went to boarding school from where she later ran away and back to Salem. Apparently, Linda was quite neglectful of Melissa and Mickey & Maggie took legal guardianship of her. Linda later came back to town as Madam X, part of organized crime. Melissa fell in love with gang member Pete Jannings and she and Pete married in a double ceremony with Mickey & Maggie who were remarrying after a period of separation. Melissa wanted to be a dancer. She and Pete didn't work out and they got divorced and he left town. Melissa then was romanced by Jack Devereaux who was attempting to use her to win political favor (since he was running against Mickey). Melissa's crush on Jack had started while he was married to Kayla and when Kayla ended up poisoned, Melissa was suspected (wrongly) of trying to kill her. Jack & Melissa almost married, but she found out the truth about him and left him at the altar and left Salem. When she returned, she was a singer and started a romance with Emilio Rimerez (who had also romanced Jennifer), but ended up accidentally killing him by pushing him out a window. Melissa then left town to move to Nashville to pursue a music career. She came back for someone's funeral (Tom's?) or another event and it was written that she'd married and was pregnant (to accomodate Lisa Trusel's own pregnancy at the time), but nothing else was ever made of it. When Nathan arrived and it was explained that he was Melissa's child, it's assumed he's the baby Melissa was carrying during that return visit. Melissa's husband has never been named. Also, to the best of my knowledge, she's never gone by the name Horton. I still haven't figured out exactly why Nathan uses the name "Horton".

Sarah is the result of Maggie's desire to give birth to a child. To accomplish this, Maggie entered the surrogate mother program at the hospital, which Neil Curtis was directing. Maggie became pregnant and it was later revealed that she was carrying the child of Dr. Evan Wyland (who just so happened to be on Stefano's payroll). Maggie decided that she wanted to keep the baby and Evan agreed (I'm not exactly sure why. My memory's a little fuzzy on this one). Evan later died. Maggie gave birth to Sarah and, since she was married to Mickey at the time, he was deemed her legal father. Although he never legally adopted Sarah, I don't think it matters because I'm sure his name would be on the birth certificate as "father". Sarah was later SORASed to a teenager (roughly Carrie's age since she and Carrie were protrayed as best friends) and it was revealed that Sarah's biological father was really Neil Curtis and not Evan Wyland (because Neil switched the samples). This caused problems for Mickey & Maggie and they almost broke up and Neil romanced Maggie. Everything righted itself and Sarah left town with Melissa to move to Nashville and hasn't been seen since. Ideally, Sarah would probably be in her mid-30s now. She's at least a couple of years older than Sami. In real world time, Sarah was born onscreen in 1981. Hmmm... Maybe Sarah has a past with Rafe (not that I'd wish him on her, but it might make Sami jealous and mean...)
Thanks for the review! I remember a lot of this vaguely (at the time, I was watching sporatically in college and when I first entered the workforce, so my viewing was limited to holidays and summers and I kept up with the newspaper synopsis weekly.) That was some good stuff.
Wasn't Emilio the one with the rockin' mullet?

six
Member Avatar

ladyofthelake
Jan 2 2010, 08:16 AM
Matt

Thanks for the review! I remember a lot of this vaguely (at the time, I was watching sporatically in college and when I first entered the workforce, so my viewing was limited to holidays and summers and I kept up with the newspaper synopsis weekly.) That was some good stuff.
Wasn't Emilio the one with the rockin' mullet?
Seconding the thanks. By the time I started watching, most of the people in this recap were gone, so it's nice to have the history of it all.

jane1978

AidanGreensFan
Jan 2 2010, 12:00 AM
EJ? Why am I not surprised? DH can't write a convincing simple sentence, let alone a compelling twist. A Dimera did it? SHOCKING!!!!!!!! I think I will literally PASS OUT from the UNLIKELY act of a Dimera being behind a kidnapping in SALEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick someone - get the smelling salts, I'm going down.. THe surprise of it all - it's just too much....

GMAFB! This is crap - utter crap. Sure it's nice to see EJ with a brain return, but this is just predictable, boring and OH so expected.
I think you are wrong. This certainly isnīt the usual DiMera did it twist. The show did a good job a)establishing EJ as a victim and b)showing Stefano is really innocent this time. Of course some people still quesses it but that itself is positive because it means the twist is logical and stems from the story. Some people are always ahead of writers. Some people even quessed Bruce Willis is dead long before the movie ended but that doesnīt mean the twist was bad.

Best twists works when after everything is revealed you can look back and suddenly see all the subtle signs indicating towards the truth. And in EJīs case we certainly got some telling camera angles, overblown sadness and suspicious decisions. The only thing which needs to be explained is his surprise after the ransom note was delivered but we really donīt know yet in what capacity are Anna and him cooperating. Itīs quite possible the ransom was not a part of the original plan.

Liz<3Days
Member Avatar

Emilio Ramirez, played by Billy Hufsy did rock the mullet. I remember the Ramirez family- Emilio, April and Julio. He was also trying to win Jen's heart at the time when she started to work w/Jack for the Spectator!

Thanks for the DAYS history Matt!

samixxx
Member Avatar

mirabella
Jan 1 2010, 04:42 AM
Thanks for posting the promo and to OBK for posting the awsome scoops about the mastermind. So many of us figured it couldn't be anyone but EJ. That makes my day. lol..... Go Rafe. Get the bad guy!!!!
Ditto to everything you said. :popcorn: time when Rafe finds out the truth.

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

jane1978
Jan 2 2010, 10:14 AM
I think you are wrong. This certainly isnīt the usual DiMera did it twist. The show did a good job a)establishing EJ as a victim and b)showing Stefano is really innocent this time. Of course some people still quesses it but that itself is positive because it means the twist is logical and stems from the story. Some people are always ahead of writers. Some people even quessed Bruce Willis is dead long before the movie ended but that doesnīt mean the twist was bad.

Best twists works when after everything is revealed you can look back and suddenly see all the subtle signs indicating towards the truth. And in EJīs case we certainly got some telling camera angles, overblown sadness and suspicious decisions. The only thing which needs to be explained is his surprise after the ransom note was delivered but we really donīt know yet in what capacity are Anna and him cooperating. Itīs quite possible the ransom was not a part of the original plan.
We don't agree often but in this case I completely agree with you and I think you raise a good point with your "Sixth Sense" comparison. When I watched that movie in the theater, I kept noticing how the conversations, though cleverly staged, didn't appear to be exactly mutual, such that the "twist" was not a surprise to me at all. In some ways my husband has ruined movie-watching for me because I can't recall him ever in over 20 years being surprised by anything; he always has the plot figured out about ten minutes in. I've become extra-sensitive to plot holes and editing issues over the years thanks to him. Now, watching this story unfold, I've been asking myself things like, is EJ ever alone? Do his actions have only an innocent explanation or is there more?

I agree that the only thing that so far can't be explained is EJ's (somewhat mild) surprise when he got the note, but we don't know that that won't be explained as Anna screwing up the instructions or taking matters into her own hands. We do know that EJ refused to allow police involvement despite promising to work with the Bradys so the note sits around, unchecked for fingerprints, the police not checking any leads.

What I've actually liked about this buildup--and as I've said, I've been thinking for weeks EJ is behind it--is that everything EJ has done since Nicole got hit on the head has had both an innocent and a non-innocent explanation. Everything he's done, from accusing everyone else to demanding Nicole remember all she knows, can be put down as the actions of a terrified father OR were ways of deflecting blame from himself and trying to find out everything everyone else knows so he can stay one step ahead. His demanding to be told the instant there's any information is perfectly rational for a frightened parent . . . and it's also perfectly rational that a person committing a felony wants to know what the cops know so he can clean up any mess and fix any mistake to avoid getting caught.

I don't think it's wishy-washy storytelling at all. I've found EJ's actions to be suspicious ever since the pub scenes with Brady. As I've noted, if EJ didn't legitimately appear to be desperate and sick with worry he would be even more suspicious. There's been very little suspicion thrown EJ's way so far and as usual with Salem schemes, everyone else has to be dumbed down so that the criminal can get away with it. I guess it's EJ's turn to have everybody else bumbling around needing instructions as to which is their ass and which is their elbow, since the fact that neither Rafe nor Sami have seriously considered EJ as a suspect is completely mind-blowing. Back when EJ and Sami first met and he was manipulating the shit out of her that worked fine because she didn't know who he was and we didn't either. Now we know a lot about him and how he acts and how he's not above committing whatever crime is necessary to achieve his own ends, and he has the most obvious revenge motive of them all.

Of course, as I said earlier in this thread, EJ's grief would probably seem as false to everyone as it does to me if AS was remembering to make her character seem like a horrified mother who's undergoing a tremendous loss. I mean, her child is MISSING. She doesn't know who has her or where she is. Even on the pier vigil scenes all we got was the scrunchy face ugly cry and then it's right back to champagne and sex with Rafe. Personally, I would be a lot more disappointed if EJ had been acting like Sami because then it would have been a lot more obvious that he knew Sydney was safe. The way Sami is acting she acts like it too, and it reminds me of how terrible AS was during those scenes where Sami was supposed to be trying to stop the EJole wedding. She came off like a smug bitch and not like someone who had a major, life-altering secret she was just about to tell but was stopped from telling by another bombshell revelation (the attempt on Philip's life). I felt at the time the problem was that AS knew Sami wasn't going to tell so she played it that way--no drama or uncertainty at all.

chante

OneBadKitty
Dec 31 2009, 08:23 PM
Checked with sources and it is EJ, unless they did a last minute switheroo that I don't know about, LOL.

I have nothing on the funeral for Mickey yet.
hi, do you know when ej is going to be at annas

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

jane1978
AidanGreensFan

I agree with this! A typical DiMera conclusion would have been Stefano, also. This is a twist in that, instead of inflicting pain, pain is inflected on Stefano.

jam6242
Member Avatar

Matt
Okay, I'm chiming in here late to give a little more info on the backgrounds of Melissa & Sarah. Melissa is the biological daughter of Linda Patterson Phillips & Jim Phillips, conceived before Linda & Jim were married. Linda was Mickey's secretary and they had an affair while Mickey was married to Laura (Mickey wasn't exactly the greatest of husbands back in the day). Linda came up pregnant and lied to Mickey that he was the baby's father (even though she knew it was Jim's baby). Laura found out about the affair and baby (or Mickey told her, I'm not sure), but knew that Mickey couldn't be the father because she knew he was sterile (a secret known only to her, Bill, & Tom at the time, but unknown to Mickey). Laura couldn't say a word to Mickey about Linda's lie because it would expose the truth that Mickey wasn't the biological father of their child Mike (bio Dad was really Bill due to an instance where he "forced himself on her" during a drunken fit) and everyone was trying to spare Mickey the truth. When baby Melissa was born, Mickey believed for quite some time that she really was his daughter (much the same way he still regards Mike as his son and vice versa). The truth eventually came out, Mickey had a nervous breakdown (yadda yadda) and Linda eventually married Jim. Some time later, Jim died (I think he died, at least) and Linda came back into the picture and attempted to use Melissa to separate Mickey & Maggie. Farmgirl Maggie felt inferior around glamorous Linda and Laura, so Julie took Maggie for a make over. Linda eventually gave up on Mickey and dated his older brother Tommy for a while before marrying the wealthy Bob Anderson (who just happened to be Julie's ex-husband). After the marriage, Bob adopted Melissa (hence her best known name "Melissa Anderson"). Bob later divorced Linda, but then died of a heart attack, leaving his estate & Anderson Manufacturing to daughter Mary Anderson and adopted daughter Melissa. Mary was later one of the victims of the Salem Strangler. Linda left town and Melissa went to boarding school from where she later ran away and back to Salem. Apparently, Linda was quite neglectful of Melissa and Mickey & Maggie took legal guardianship of her.

Sarah is the result of Maggie's desire to give birth to a child. To accomplish this, Maggie entered the surrogate mother program at the hospital, which Neil Curtis was directing. Maggie became pregnant and it was later revealed that she was carrying the child of Dr. Evan Wyland (who just so happened to be on Stefano's payroll). Maggie decided that she wanted to keep the baby and Evan agreed (I'm not exactly sure why. My memory's a little fuzzy on this one).

de
Linda Patterson is still my favorite villainess on Days. Margaret Mason, who played her in the 70s, was deliciously evil. I remember a scene when Jim Phillips was in the hospital (for a heart ailment, I believe) and Linda was withholding his medicine from him because he was threatening to tell Mickey that he (Jim) was Melissa's father. I think Jim Phillips was eventually killed in a car accident. Besides Mickey & Tom, Jr., Linda also had affairs with Bill Horton, and Mike Horton when he was barely out of his teens!

Regarding Sarah, Maggie had originally intended to be the surrogate mother for Evan Whyland and his wife. Evan's wife died before Sarah was born and Mickey and Maggie decided to sue for custody. Evan died when Stefano tried to have Maggie killed by tampering with the brakes of her car but Evan was killed instead. Stefano wanted Maggie dead because she had witnessed one of his crimes (I think related to his drug activities). Maggie may have been the first Salemite targeted by Stefano!

madelinehawaii

jane1978
AidanGreensFan

I find it hard to understand how anyone could find this surprising. EJ is the most obvious person in this storyline to want to do this, he's been hurt and lied to by everyone, not to mention, he has a personality that isn't too forgiving. How is that a twist? You've explained how the writers made this believable over the last month but I don't see how you've explained that it shouldn't have been expected from the minute they said there was a twist coming and not because of anything they wrote but because it was going to be a DiMera. That is what always happens which is the point I see a lot of people making.
Edited by madelinehawaii, Jan 2 2010, 03:44 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
Learn More · Register for Free
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply