Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Week of January 4th Promo (Updated with YT version); A death rocks the city of Salem...
Topic Started: Dec 31 2009, 07:50 PM (9,699 Views)
madelinehawaii

Matt
Jan 2 2010, 02:11 AM
Okay, I'm chiming in here late to give a little more info on the backgrounds of Melissa & Sarah. Melissa is the biological daughter of Linda Patterson Phillips & Jim Phillips, conceived before Linda & Jim were married. Linda was Mickey's secretary and they had an affair while Mickey was married to Laura (Mickey wasn't exactly the greatest of husbands back in the day). Linda came up pregnant and lied to Mickey that he was the baby's father (even though she knew it was Jim's baby). Laura found out about the affair and baby (or Mickey told her, I'm not sure), but knew that Mickey couldn't be the father because she knew he was sterile (a secret known only to her, Bill, & Tom at the time, but unknown to Mickey). Laura couldn't say a word to Mickey about Linda's lie because it would expose the truth that Mickey wasn't the biological father of their child Mike (bio Dad was really Bill due to an instance where he "forced himself on her" during a drunken fit) and everyone was trying to spare Mickey the truth. When baby Melissa was born, Mickey believed for quite some time that she really was his daughter (much the same way he still regards Mike as his son and vice versa). The truth eventually came out, Mickey had a nervous breakdown (yadda yadda) and Linda eventually married Jim. Some time later, Jim died (I think he died, at least) and Linda came back into the picture and attempted to use Melissa to separate Mickey & Maggie. Farmgirl Maggie felt inferior around glamorous Linda and Laura, so Julie took Maggie for a make over. Linda eventually gave up on Mickey and dated his older brother Tommy for a while before marrying the wealthy Bob Anderson (who just happened to be Julie's ex-husband). After the marriage, Bob adopted Melissa (hence her best known name "Melissa Anderson"). Bob later divorced Linda, but then died of a heart attack, leaving his estate & Anderson Manufacturing to daughter Mary Anderson and adopted daughter Melissa. Mary was later one of the victims of the Salem Strangler. Linda left town and Melissa went to boarding school from where she later ran away and back to Salem. Apparently, Linda was quite neglectful of Melissa and Mickey & Maggie took legal guardianship of her. Linda later came back to town as Madam X, part of organized crime. Melissa fell in love with gang member Pete Jannings and she and Pete married in a double ceremony with Mickey & Maggie who were remarrying after a period of separation. Melissa wanted to be a dancer. She and Pete didn't work out and they got divorced and he left town. Melissa then was romanced by Jack Devereaux who was attempting to use her to win political favor (since he was running against Mickey). Melissa's crush on Jack had started while he was married to Kayla and when Kayla ended up poisoned, Melissa was suspected (wrongly) of trying to kill her. Jack & Melissa almost married, but she found out the truth about him and left him at the altar and left Salem. When she returned, she was a singer and started a romance with Emilio Rimerez (who had also romanced Jennifer), but ended up accidentally killing him by pushing him out a window. Melissa then left town to move to Nashville to pursue a music career. She came back for someone's funeral (Tom's?) or another event and it was written that she'd married and was pregnant (to accomodate Lisa Trusel's own pregnancy at the time), but nothing else was ever made of it. When Nathan arrived and it was explained that he was Melissa's child, it's assumed he's the baby Melissa was carrying during that return visit. Melissa's husband has never been named. Also, to the best of my knowledge, she's never gone by the name Horton. I still haven't figured out exactly why Nathan uses the name "Horton".

Sarah is the result of Maggie's desire to give birth to a child. To accomplish this, Maggie entered the surrogate mother program at the hospital, which Neil Curtis was directing. Maggie became pregnant and it was later revealed that she was carrying the child of Dr. Evan Wyland (who just so happened to be on Stefano's payroll). Maggie decided that she wanted to keep the baby and Evan agreed (I'm not exactly sure why. My memory's a little fuzzy on this one). Evan later died. Maggie gave birth to Sarah and, since she was married to Mickey at the time, he was deemed her legal father. Although he never legally adopted Sarah, I don't think it matters because I'm sure his name would be on the birth certificate as "father". Sarah was later SORASed to a teenager (roughly Carrie's age since she and Carrie were protrayed as best friends) and it was revealed that Sarah's biological father was really Neil Curtis and not Evan Wyland (because Neil switched the samples). This caused problems for Mickey & Maggie and they almost broke up and Neil romanced Maggie. Everything righted itself and Sarah left town with Melissa to move to Nashville and hasn't been seen since. Ideally, Sarah would probably be in her mid-30s now. She's at least a couple of years older than Sami. In real world time, Sarah was born onscreen in 1981. Hmmm... Maybe Sarah has a past with Rafe (not that I'd wish him on her, but it might make Sami jealous and mean...)
ty for explaining all of that. I didn't know most of Melissa's history.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

jam6242
Jan 2 2010, 03:12 PM
Matt
Jan 2 2010, 02:11 AM
Okay, I'm chiming in here late to give a little more info on the backgrounds of Melissa & Sarah. Melissa is the biological daughter of Linda Patterson Phillips & Jim Phillips, conceived before Linda & Jim were married. Linda was Mickey's secretary and they had an affair while Mickey was married to Laura (Mickey wasn't exactly the greatest of husbands back in the day). Linda came up pregnant and lied to Mickey that he was the baby's father (even though she knew it was Jim's baby). Laura found out about the affair and baby (or Mickey told her, I'm not sure), but knew that Mickey couldn't be the father because she knew he was sterile (a secret known only to her, Bill, & Tom at the time, but unknown to Mickey). Laura couldn't say a word to Mickey about Linda's lie because it would expose the truth that Mickey wasn't the biological father of their child Mike (bio Dad was really Bill due to an instance where he "forced himself on her" during a drunken fit) and everyone was trying to spare Mickey the truth. When baby Melissa was born, Mickey believed for quite some time that she really was his daughter (much the same way he still regards Mike as his son and vice versa). The truth eventually came out, Mickey had a nervous breakdown (yadda yadda) and Linda eventually married Jim. Some time later, Jim died (I think he died, at least) and Linda came back into the picture and attempted to use Melissa to separate Mickey & Maggie. Farmgirl Maggie felt inferior around glamorous Linda and Laura, so Julie took Maggie for a make over. Linda eventually gave up on Mickey and dated his older brother Tommy for a while before marrying the wealthy Bob Anderson (who just happened to be Julie's ex-husband). After the marriage, Bob adopted Melissa (hence her best known name "Melissa Anderson"). Bob later divorced Linda, but then died of a heart attack, leaving his estate & Anderson Manufacturing to daughter Mary Anderson and adopted daughter Melissa. Mary was later one of the victims of the Salem Strangler. Linda left town and Melissa went to boarding school from where she later ran away and back to Salem. Apparently, Linda was quite neglectful of Melissa and Mickey & Maggie took legal guardianship of her.

Sarah is the result of Maggie's desire to give birth to a child. To accomplish this, Maggie entered the surrogate mother program at the hospital, which Neil Curtis was directing. Maggie became pregnant and it was later revealed that she was carrying the child of Dr. Evan Wyland (who just so happened to be on Stefano's payroll). Maggie decided that she wanted to keep the baby and Evan agreed (I'm not exactly sure why. My memory's a little fuzzy on this one).

de
Linda Patterson is still my favorite villainess on Days. Margaret Mason, who played her in the 70s, was deliciously evil. I remember a scene when Jim Phillips was in the hospital (for a heart ailment, I believe) and Linda was withholding his medicine from him because he was threatening to tell Mickey that he (Jim) was Melissa's father. I think Jim Phillips was eventually killed in a car accident. Besides Mickey & Tom, Jr., Linda also had affairs with Bill Horton, and Mike Horton when he was barely out of his teens!

Regarding Sarah, Maggie had originally intended to be the surrogate mother for Evan Whyland and his wife. Evan's wife died before Sarah was born and Mickey and Maggie decided to sue for custody. Evan died when Stefano tried to have Maggie killed by tampering with the brakes of her car but Evan was killed instead. Stefano wanted Maggie dead because she had witnessed one of his crimes (I think related to his drug activities). Maggie may have been the first Salemite targeted by Stefano!
Yes! I'd forgotten to mention Linda & Mike! At the time (in what was rather controversial), Mike was concerned that he might be gay. Linda took young Mike to bed to prove to him that he wasn't (I think Mike might have actually lost his virginity to Linda). Meanwhile, Linda completely ignored the fact that she had a barely legal stud in her bed and pretended that Mike was really Mickey! I couldn't remember what had happened to Evan's wife (was she ever even seen on-screen?). I do know that Mickey began investigating Stefano as a result of Maggie's car accident which is what lead to Stefano tampering with the plan to South America that Mickey was on, causing it to crash. Stefano kept Mickey in a cage in the jungle for the better part of a year (on screen, even!) while all of Salem believed Mickey had been killed (the body found was actually the pilot). It was during this time that Maggie started dating Don Craig. Needless to say, Mickey's return caused problems. An interesting point with Evan (played by Lane Davies who went on to be Mason Capwell on Santa Barbara), he was romantically involved with Sandy Horton (daughter of Tommy) and he actually died on the operating table while she (a doctor) was operating on him. I think this lead to Martha Smith (who played Sandy at the time and would later co-star on Scarecrow & Mrs. King and had earlier appeared in the film Animal House) leaving the show (Sandy left to recover from Evan's death). When Sandy returned a year later, another actress was in the role.

jam6242
Member Avatar

Matt
Jan 2 2010, 03:57 PM

/quote]Linda Patterson is still my favorite villainess on Days. Margaret Mason, who played her in the 70s, was deliciously evil. I remember a scene when Jim Phillips was in the hospital (for a heart ailment, I believe) and Linda was withholding his medicine from him because he was threatening to tell Mickey that he (Jim) was Melissa's father. I think Jim Phillips was eventually killed in a car accident. Besides Mickey & Tom, Jr., Linda also had affairs with Bill Horton, and Mike Horton when he was barely out of his teens!

Regarding Sarah, Maggie had originally intended to be the surrogate mother for Evan Whyland and his wife. Evan's wife died before Sarah was born and Mickey and Maggie decided to sue for custody. Evan died when Stefano tried to have Maggie killed by tampering with the brakes of her car but Evan was killed instead. Stefano wanted Maggie dead because she had witnessed one of his crimes (I think related to his drug activities). Maggie may have been the first Salemite targeted by Stefano!
Yes! I'd forgotten to mention Linda & Mike! At the time (in what was rather controversial), Mike was concerned that he might be gay. Linda took young Mike to bed to prove to him that he wasn't (I think Mike might have actually lost his virginity to Linda). Meanwhile, Linda completely ignored the fact that she had a barely legal stud in her bed and pretended that Mike was really Mickey! I couldn't remember what had happened to Evan's wife (was she ever even seen on-screen?). I do know that Mickey began investigating Stefano as a result of Maggie's car accident which is what lead to Stefano tampering with the plan to South America that Mickey was on, causing it to crash. Stefano kept Mickey in a cage in the jungle for the better part of a year (on screen, even!) while all of Salem believed Mickey had been killed (the body found was actually the pilot). It was during this time that Maggie started dating Don Craig. Needless to say, Mickey's return caused problems. An interesting point with Evan (played by Lane Davies who went on to be Mason Capwell on Santa Barbara), he was romantically involved with Sandy Horton (daughter of Tommy) and he actually died on the operating table while she (a doctor) was operating on him. I think this lead to Martha Smith (who played Sandy at the time and would later co-star on Scarecrow & Mrs. King and had earlier appeared in the film Animal House) leaving the show (Sandy left to recover from Evan's death). When Sandy returned a year later, another actress was in the role.[/quote]

Yes, you're right about the circumstances of Mike & Linda's affair. Mike had been dating Trish Clayton but had been unable to get aroused with her so naturally, that had to mean that he was gay!

I don't remember ever seeing Evan's wife. I don't think Maggie knew the identity of the prospective parents at first. Neil was acting as the go between. I really hated it when they changed Sarah's paternity to Neil.

I had forgotten about the Evan/Sandy connection!

Edited by jam6242, Jan 2 2010, 04:15 PM.

magicsteacher
Member Avatar

Paxton
Jan 2 2010, 11:42 AM
jane1978
Jan 2 2010, 10:14 AM
I think you are wrong. This certainly isnīt the usual DiMera did it twist. The show did a good job a)establishing EJ as a victim and b)showing Stefano is really innocent this time. Of course some people still quesses it but that itself is positive because it means the twist is logical and stems from the story. Some people are always ahead of writers. Some people even quessed Bruce Willis is dead long before the movie ended but that doesnīt mean the twist was bad.

Best twists works when after everything is revealed you can look back and suddenly see all the subtle signs indicating towards the truth. And in EJīs case we certainly got some telling camera angles, overblown sadness and suspicious decisions. The only thing which needs to be explained is his surprise after the ransom note was delivered but we really donīt know yet in what capacity are Anna and him cooperating. Itīs quite possible the ransom was not a part of the original plan.
We don't agree often but in this case I completely agree with you and I think you raise a good point with your "Sixth Sense" comparison. When I watched that movie in the theater, I kept noticing how the conversations, though cleverly staged, didn't appear to be exactly mutual, such that the "twist" was not a surprise to me at all. In some ways my husband has ruined movie-watching for me because I can't recall him ever in over 20 years being surprised by anything; he always has the plot figured out about ten minutes in. I've become extra-sensitive to plot holes and editing issues over the years thanks to him. Now, watching this story unfold, I've been asking myself things like, is EJ ever alone? Do his actions have only an innocent explanation or is there more?

I agree that the only thing that so far can't be explained is EJ's (somewhat mild) surprise when he got the note, but we don't know that that won't be explained as Anna screwing up the instructions or taking matters into her own hands. We do know that EJ refused to allow police involvement despite promising to work with the Bradys so the note sits around, unchecked for fingerprints, the police not checking any leads.

What I've actually liked about this buildup--and as I've said, I've been thinking for weeks EJ is behind it--is that everything EJ has done since Nicole got hit on the head has had both an innocent and a non-innocent explanation. Everything he's done, from accusing everyone else to demanding Nicole remember all she knows, can be put down as the actions of a terrified father OR were ways of deflecting blame from himself and trying to find out everything everyone else knows so he can stay one step ahead. His demanding to be told the instant there's any information is perfectly rational for a frightened parent . . . and it's also perfectly rational that a person committing a felony wants to know what the cops know so he can clean up any mess and fix any mistake to avoid getting caught.

I don't think it's wishy-washy storytelling at all. I've found EJ's actions to be suspicious ever since the pub scenes with Brady. As I've noted, if EJ didn't legitimately appear to be desperate and sick with worry he would be even more suspicious. There's been very little suspicion thrown EJ's way so far and as usual with Salem schemes, everyone else has to be dumbed down so that the criminal can get away with it. I guess it's EJ's turn to have everybody else bumbling around needing instructions as to which is their ass and which is their elbow, since the fact that neither Rafe nor Sami have seriously considered EJ as a suspect is completely mind-blowing. Back when EJ and Sami first met and he was manipulating the shit out of her that worked fine because she didn't know who he was and we didn't either. Now we know a lot about him and how he acts and how he's not above committing whatever crime is necessary to achieve his own ends, and he has the most obvious revenge motive of them all.

Of course, as I said earlier in this thread, EJ's grief would probably seem as false to everyone as it does to me if AS was remembering to make her character seem like a horrified mother who's undergoing a tremendous loss. I mean, her child is MISSING. She doesn't know who has her or where she is. Even on the pier vigil scenes all we got was the scrunchy face ugly cry and then it's right back to champagne and sex with Rafe. Personally, I would be a lot more disappointed if EJ had been acting like Sami because then it would have been a lot more obvious that he knew Sydney was safe. The way Sami is acting she acts like it too, and it reminds me of how terrible AS was during those scenes where Sami was supposed to be trying to stop the EJole wedding. She came off like a smug bitch and not like someone who had a major, life-altering secret she was just about to tell but was stopped from telling by another bombshell revelation (the attempt on Philip's life). I felt at the time the problem was that AS knew Sami wasn't going to tell so she played it that way--no drama or uncertainty at all.
Good post, and I agree with you. I think I read somewhere that Anna does botch up the ransom. Now, whether it is referring to the note or to the actual ransom drop itself, I don't know. Perhaps, Anna has decided to turn the tables on EJ and go for more than he originally promised her. Who knows? I was wondering if EJ acts shocked about the note b/c he knows the surveillance cameras are on in the mansion.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

madelinehawaii
Jan 2 2010, 03:39 PM
jane1978
Jan 2 2010, 10:14 AM
AidanGreensFan
Jan 2 2010, 12:00 AM
EJ? Why am I not surprised? DH can't write a convincing simple sentence, let alone a compelling twist. A Dimera did it? SHOCKING!!!!!!!! I think I will literally PASS OUT from the UNLIKELY act of a Dimera being behind a kidnapping in SALEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick someone - get the smelling salts, I'm going down.. THe surprise of it all - it's just too much....

GMAFB! This is crap - utter crap. Sure it's nice to see EJ with a brain return, but this is just predictable, boring and OH so expected.
I think you are wrong. This certainly isnīt the usual DiMera did it twist. The show did a good job a)establishing EJ as a victim and b)showing Stefano is really innocent this time. Of course some people still quesses it but that itself is positive because it means the twist is logical and stems from the story. Some people are always ahead of writers. Some people even quessed Bruce Willis is dead long before the movie ended but that doesnīt mean the twist was bad.

Best twists works when after everything is revealed you can look back and suddenly see all the subtle signs indicating towards the truth. And in EJīs case we certainly got some telling camera angles, overblown sadness and suspicious decisions. The only thing which needs to be explained is his surprise after the ransom note was delivered but we really donīt know yet in what capacity are Anna and him cooperating. Itīs quite possible the ransom was not a part of the original plan.
I find it hard to understand how anyone could find this surprising. EJ is the most obvious person in this storyline to want to do this, he's been hurt and lied to by everyone, not to mention, he has a personality that isn't too forgiving. How is that a twist? You've explained how the writers made this believable over the last month but I don't see how you've explained that it shouldn't have been expected from the minute they said there was a twist coming and not because of anything they wrote but because it was going to be a DiMera. That is what always happens which is the point I see a lot of people making.
I think it's a twist because I honestly believe more people would have expected Stefano to do it. The other twist was for Nicole to get caught, rekidnap Sydney, and THEN get her taken away. That was rather unexpected. Also hard to explain, unless EJ implanted a tracking device on her or something.

SocRMum1
Member Avatar
Much prefers sweevil, snarky EJ over Father Figure Fucktard Eejiot.

magicsteacher
Jan 2 2010, 04:55 PM
I was wondering if EJ acts shocked about the note b/c he knows the surveillance cameras are on in the mansion.
Hmmm...that's a good theory. Now whether or not they'll bother to go back and show us that remains to be seen, but that would explain it.

aimees76
Member Avatar

Well, my mother and other family members and friends are what I would consider general audience, unspoiled, no fan base affiliations (lol) ... and none that I know of think it is EJ. My mom thought it was him for a little while, or at least that it could be him, but then she was pretty thoroughly convinced that it was not. So I think it is a safe assumption that the general audience will find this to be a surprising twist.

Alligato
Member Avatar

aimee - same here. I was talking to a few cousins about Days and they aren't spoiled, and someone said it was EJ and the others said no way because of how upset he has been. They were convinced it was Stefano up until Rafe's truth juice, then Kate. Or they thought that Anna was acting alone to get back at the Dimeras.

For us who have come up with every scenario imaginable, this is no biggie that it is EJ, but for regular folk, it's great stuff!

Thanks OBK for dropping the "bombshell"! I couldn't be more pleased that it is EJ and he is getting some mega-nasty revenge on Sami. Can't wait to see her face when she finds out her little lapdog did a no-no. :)

samixxx
Member Avatar

Alligato
Jan 2 2010, 09:23 PM
aimee - same here. I was talking to a few cousins about Days and they aren't spoiled, and someone said it was EJ and the others said no way because of how upset he has been. They were convinced it was Stefano up until Rafe's truth juice, then Kate. Or they thought that Anna was acting alone to get back at the Dimeras.

For us who have come up with every scenario imaginable, this is no biggie that it is EJ, but for regular folk, it's great stuff!

Thanks OBK for dropping the "bombshell"! I couldn't be more pleased that it is EJ and he is getting some mega-nasty revenge on Sami.Can't wait to see her face when she finds out her little lapdog did a no-no. :)
I agree with your post, for the bolded.... I think that Sami knows from past experience that Ej is willing to use/abuse her and her family for the Dimera way. But I think she has this blind faith that he wouldn't transfer to his children. If Ej is using Sydney as a pawn for no other reason than to quench his revenge, when Sami finds out I don't think Rafe will be the only one that wants to kill him.
Edited by samixxx, Jan 2 2010, 10:58 PM.

Mason
Member Avatar

Alligato
I couldn't be more pleased that it is EJ and he is getting some mega-nasty revenge on Sami.
I just hope it is revenge and not a manufactured way for him to look like a hero to Sami.

SocRMum1
Member Avatar
Much prefers sweevil, snarky EJ over Father Figure Fucktard Eejiot.

Mason
Jan 2 2010, 10:58 PM
Alligato
I couldn't be more pleased that it is EJ and he is getting some mega-nasty revenge on Sami.
I just hope it is revenge and not a manufactured way for him to look like a hero to Sami.
I agree. I don't want to see him doing this as a means to get closer to Sami in hopes of having a relationship with her. I don't want him to be that disillusioned. If he's the mastermind I want it to be because he's keeping his daughter away from all the people who have screwed him over thus far - Stefano, Sami and by extension, Nicole. (I say extension because Nicole has already been basically eliminated from having any control/influence on Sydney's life at this point.)

Vicky4Mimi

aimees76
Jan 2 2010, 08:02 PM
Well, my mother and other family members and friends are what I would consider general audience, unspoiled, no fan base affiliations (lol) ... and none that I know of think it is EJ. My mom thought it was him for a little while, or at least that it could be him, but then she was pretty thoroughly convinced that it was not. So I think it is a safe assumption that the general audience will find this to be a surprising twist.
I totally agree. They did a good job fooling the ones who don't dissect the entire show like some us do!! ha

mer4santo
Member Avatar
Ineffable!

Mason
Jan 2 2010, 10:58 PM
Alligato
Exactly. Good god would that suck, but I don't exclude the preface because the writing might think it's a wonderful idea while the audience scowls.

Liz<3Days
Member Avatar

We have photographic evidence...thanks OBK/Soaptown!

You have to scroll down past the other soaps info!

http://www.soaptownusa.com/looselips.html
Edited by Liz<3Days, Jan 4 2010, 09:56 PM.

TINA222
Member Avatar

EJ looks pretty damn proud of himself and smug. Not worrying about poor wittle Sami's feelings. :D

Nicole Walker

Sydney's pulling on his pink shirt. She's so cute.

King
Member Avatar

Great promo! DAYS is on a roll...

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply